Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mnoba posted:

Weren't there two Russian groups accusing each other mining their escape paths? If it was this system that is god drat hilarious.

lmao yeah I think Wanker accused the regulars of mining their retreating route and capture one of their commanders even, pretty bizarre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

mobby_6kl posted:

lmao yeah I think Wanker accused the regulars of mining their retreating route and capture one of their commanders even, pretty bizarre

And stole tanks, ammo, and heavy equipment. Can't forget that.

5-finger discounted procurement!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I mean belgorod was under siege for a week. That's a pretty big indicator to Russian non state actors that it's fine to yoink heavy equipment from supply depots that are prolly protected by like 5 dudes and a BTR

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jonny Quest posted:

:allears: This is a thing, that my tax dollars paid for? A weapon system that likely originated from some drunken boast in a Huntsville bar made decades ago between engineers who thought they could figure out how to shoot a mine from a cannon?

Nerds are the best.

So are these things like one mine per shell, or is it more of a buckshot bomblet deal?

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So are these things like one mine per shell, or is it more of a buckshot bomblet deal?

Each shell has 9 mines

Ukraine has used these before (notably in Vuhledar) to great effect

Mine lanes of advance/retreat that had been previously cleared, during active maneuver combat

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Neddy Seagoon posted:

9 mines per shell according to Wikipedia. That’s pretty nuts.

Stealth trivia edit: the M777 howitzer is British-made and designed, I had no idea. The original design was by Vickers.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

I went looking for info on how the hell you deploy tank mines from a shell, and welp, here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScZuCDYSM2g&t=335s

Enjoy the awkward dialogue that sounds like it was written and voiced by an AI.

Scam Likely fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 9, 2023

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The US versions usually have expiration timers on the mines unlike the fascists mines which are shaped like toys.

Correct me if in wrong here.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny Quest posted:

:allears: This is a thing, that my tax dollars paid for? A weapon system that likely originated from some drunken boast in a Huntsville bar made decades ago between engineers who thought they could figure out how to shoot a mine from a cannon?

Nerds are the best.

Uncle Sam has so many gadgets it'd blow your mind (and vatnik tanks)

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Mods please change my name to "Skeet Warhead"

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The US versions usually have expiration timers on the mines unlike the fascists mines which are shaped like toys.

Correct me if in wrong here.

the PFM-1S variant should chemically deactivate itself after 1-40 hours. However, although I don't know if the stocks of the original "no provision for deactivating" PFM-1 persist or are in use I sure wouldn't put it past them.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Remember when Prigozhin was blaming the Russian army for mining retreating Wagner forces.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

I still can't get over the AIM-114R9X, the air launched precision sword.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Schweinhund posted:

Remember when Prigozhin was blaming the Russian army for mining retreating Wagner forces.

B-b-but he tortured a guy, and he confessed!

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Vengarr posted:

9 mines per shell according to Wikipedia. That’s pretty nuts.

Stealth trivia edit: the M777 howitzer is British-made and designed, I had no idea. The original design was by Vickers.

I went down the Wikipedia Rabbit Hole (tm) and that lead to the announcement of these things back in March-April 1980, https://asc.army.mil/docs/pubs/alt/archives/1980/Mar-Apr_1980.PDF, which features the ominous introduction:

"The unofficial theme of the recent Atlanta VI conference was unquestionably "There is so little time." And with events in Afghanistan monopolizing the
headlines
, the meeting of senior Army leaders and corporate executives to discuss mutual problems pertaining to the Army's readiness was permeated with a new sense of urgency."

The more things change...

Fake Edit: Also there are apparently trip-line versions of these shells.

Rivethead
Feb 22, 2008

Schweinhund posted:

"THE ENEMY IS REMOTELY MINING OUR REAR"

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Schweinhund posted:

I feel like both scenarios could be true.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I mean belgorod was under siege for a week. That's a pretty big indicator to Russian non state actors that it's fine to yoink heavy equipment from supply depots that are prolly protected by like 5 dudes and a BTR

Belgorod wasn't "under siege"

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1666147234621030404

Ukraine is now implementing Advance Wars tactics

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

thekeeshman posted:

Mods please change my name to "Skeet Warhead"

*adds to SpaceMutinyNames.txt*

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

hahaha holy loving poo poo this is something straight out of unreal tournament

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

HonorableTB posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myuZUxS3Uww

yeah they're genuinely terrifying

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
It's the same idea as SMART or BONUS, which we've also seen used in Ukraine. The delivery mechanism is just a big huge cluster bomb instead of an artillery shell.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

tiaz posted:

the PFM-1S variant should chemically deactivate itself after 1-40 hours. However, although I don't know if the stocks of the original "no provision for deactivating" PFM-1 persist or are in use I sure wouldn't put it past them.

Thanks to the ever-present factor of dud rates, you're best off treating them as armed regardless!

Landmines suck, and scatterable mines doubly so because of the lack of emplacement maps/accountability by design.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

HonorableTB posted:

Modern bombs are so loving crazy. It probably did come from some guy at Textron watching too much Gundam some poo poo.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
FWIW, here's a BAE ad for BONUS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsKYKDdX1Ec

With music that wouldn't be out of place in UT, so…

Set
Oct 30, 2005

Mikojan posted:

Had never heard of him, looked him up and now wish I'd stayed ignorant

I mean, I get you 100% but how I see it is that instead of feeling despair at the situation he was put in and how it would have effected the world, I try to see the positive. One man, because of a calm and collected head, managed to save humanity and all other life on the planet even though everything was screaming at him to destroy the world. He didn't, and he saved us all. Others have and will do the same, because in the end very few of us are as psychotic as a Putin or other despots.

Disco Pope posted:

I suffered from a lot of anxiety about this for a long time, and I just had to make peace with the fact that this has been a possibility my entire life and will be once this war is over (and I'm not sure if wars are ever really over). We're all constantly in a quantum state of dead and not dead.

Yeah, it is basically the same as worrying about being hit by a meteor. If that happens, then none of us will have a say in if it happens or not and if we can't really affect the outcome in any way then worrying about it is completely non-productive. Stop worrying and learn to love the bomb life!

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Set posted:

Remember the name Stanislav Petrov.

Mikojan posted:

Had never heard of him, looked him up and now wish I'd stayed ignorant

Imagine this though:

quote:

During a visit to the United States for the filming of the documentary The Man Who Saved the World, Petrov toured in May 2007 the Minuteman Missile National Historic Site and, having retired from USSR military, commented, “[he] would never have imagined being able to visit one of the enemy’s securest sites.”[30]

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Regarding those images and videos of damaged or destroyed UA Leo tank and other vehicles - it seems Russian propagandists are recycling images from a single site and event

https://twitter.com/Tatarigami_UA/status/1667206162947747840

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Data Graham posted:

It's also nuts to me how simple the motivations for all the poo poo that happens these days are. None of this is a massive intricate world-spanning conspiracy to pit various rival factions against each other. It's just one guy who wants to loving take over the world like a god drat cartoon.

Like Trump with his documents. Oh well it's this secret master plan to expose the Deep State and Biden's corruption and blah and foo! No he's just a loving toddler who stole cool poo poo.

The world and civilization are infinitely complex but it's the most reptile-brain biological thrashings that threaten to tear it all down

I think we were all just overthinking poo poo.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

lol

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Big suka sharkoi

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

This thing can recognize different weapons systems using a grainy black and white camera and only blow up the bad guy ones, and it's from 1992! Incredible.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
The shark death memes are dumb, a 23 year old russian taking a "long vacation" in egypt was probably trying to get away from the special military operation

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yes it really sucks for the shark

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Yes it really sucks for the shark

Yeah, it later died of alcohol poisoning.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Battalion Monaco implying first line of defense in Zaporizhzhia direction has been breached. Satellite photos showed the rows of shein dragons teeth, and the battalion reports:

quote:

The 'Dragon's Teeth' have left the chat in the Zaporizhzhian direction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA

Flavahbeast posted:

The shark death memes are dumb, a 23 year old russian taking a "long vacation" in egypt was probably trying to get away from the special military operation

I have no idea what events this is referring to.