Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

quote:

Jackson has been projected recently to be a mid-to-late first round pick. Whatever team selects Jackson in the draft, he said that team will be getting a hard worker and someone that will do whatever is asked of him.

“They are getting a goofy kid, funny,” Jackson said. “When it comes to work, very serious. Getting a very, very hard competitor. Hates to lose and you are getting a guy who is willing to do anything to help the organization.”

Jackson, who is the youngest player in the NBA Draft, feels he will continue to improve as he gets older and competes at the game’s highest level.

“Sky is the limit, to be honest,” Jackson said. “There are a lot of players in college, whether they be 20, 21, 22, etc. and they were considered elite players. I feel like I definitely matched their level and I imagine where my game will be when I get their age.”

In the interview, Jackson mentioned one of the things that he learned in his one season with the Gamecocks men's basketball program under head coach Lamont Paris.

"You have to be consistent," Jackson said. "When times get hard, you always have to have a level head and stay calmed."

Jackson noted that he can’t wait to hear his name called and see all of his hard work pay off.

“Your life flashes before your eyes and you remember where you come from in basketball. … I never would have thought I would have made it this far in basketball. I have stuck with the grind. Prayed a lot, developed a pretty good relationship with God. Definitely listened to my parents. Here today and hear my name get called, it is definitely going to be a lot of emotions.”

This article is amazing in hindsight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Kibner posted:

Unless you have like problematic arches or something, it is generally best to be barefoot.
Adam Silver knows to be a strong commissioner he should ban shoes from the sport for the good of the players, but unfortunately he's too afraid of eating a car bomb from the big shoe companies.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

If wemby's signature shoe is some soft flexible soled thing made of space age nike material they could sell a jillion of them

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Shear Modulus posted:

If wemby's signature shoe is some soft flexible soled thing made of space age nike material they could sell a jillion of them

Leaked photos of Wemby's signature shoe

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Excited for the Mavs to attempt to trade the 10th pick + garbage for LeBron, get laughed out of the room, then draft Grady Dick

Dick's cool, adds shooting and rebounding to the Mavs, so not the worst outcome if so.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I haven't prepared a full injury risk report card for the lottery like I do most years, but as much I love Wemby as a prospect, his biomechanics scare me.

He covers ground, stops on a dime, but he does it by Derrick Rose-ishly splaying his legs and torquing his knees and ankles. He needs to constantly work on mobility but there's a point wher you dont want a guy to be hypermobile, it' going to stress his soft tissues too much.

He needs to watch Tim Duncan tape and learn to move without putting his joints at risk

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Probably Magic posted:

Dick's cool, adds shooting and rebounding to the Mavs, so not the worst outcome if so.

I endorse Dick because when your team makes a Dick pick your fanbase inherits the steady stream of Dick jokes which you would think would get old fast but here I am, talking about Dick

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

I haven't prepared a full injury risk report card for the lottery like I do most years, but as much I love Wemby as a prospect, his biomechanics scare me.

He covers ground, stops on a dime, but he does it by Derrick Rose-ishly splaying his legs and torquing his knees and ankles. He needs to constantly work on mobility but there's a point wher you dont want a guy to be hypermobile, it' going to stress his soft tissues too much.

He needs to watch Tim Duncan tape and learn to move without putting his joints at risk

Wemby being a generational prospect but also being so loving big that his feet, ankles, and knees are liable to be walking time bombs is the most compelling reason why adam silver would have rigged the draft for the spurs, for the exact reason that they have a track record of keeping a heavy-usage 7-footer healthy (let's all forget about kawhi developing bum knees)

Who is the 7'+ star since duncan that's had the least injury trouble? Giannis? KG was also super resilient but even he had some knee issues in his Celtics years

E: probably jokic actually

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 9, 2023

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

Shear Modulus posted:

Wemby being a generational prospect but also being so loving big that his feet, ankles, and knees are liable to be walking time bombs is the most compelling reason why adam silver would have rigged the draft for the spurs, for the exact reason that they have a track record of keeping a heavy-usage 7-footer healthy (let's all forget about kawhi developing bum knees)

Who is the 7'+ star since duncan that's had the least injury trouble? Giannis? KG was also super resilient but even he had some knee issues in his Celtics years

E: probably jokic actually

not really a star per se, but rudy g is generally p healthy.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Ringer draft guide reaching new levels of self parody

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I do kinda like the logo for "got that dog in him"

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
If you want to laugh, look at the ringer's team needs section. It's just gibberish

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Some Keyonte George notes

Absolutely not a primary ball handler. Unequivocally. Baylor was super stagnant in half court possessions, they got everything from transition. keyonte does not read the floor well at all.He was a much better shooter in hs at img academy. He isnt a three level scorer, but i think he could get better.

you want him to be an off ball player who is attacking from the side of the floor, because that’s where his best possessions come from. What’s weird is he actually did a lot more role wise at Baylor than he did at ImG. It wasn’t on ball are there at all, he was just being a shooting guard. You can see why they sent him down one as he's 6'4.
👍

He might try to get around guys with hesi-s and change of speed, but when he’s driving he has one speed and no counters.Keyontae is an inconsistent passer, clearly he’s learning. He will make fun flashy passes, but also makes turnovers on those, also just missed the most obvious reads a lot.

solid handle

really bad defender

George was a good defender in his senior year at IMG after being bad for the rest of his youth career so I don’t know what’s going on with that .

I think I'd take both Kobe Bufkin and Cason Wallace ahead of him

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Careful, not paying attention whether a potential draft pick has got that dog in him is how your team ends up with Ben Simmons an important stat. First overall pick Ben simmons wasn't even that long ago. If teams valued that dog in-him-gotting back then i bet jaylen brown goes first

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 10, 2023

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
Dawg values are purely speculative until after a player's first big NBA contract

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Shear Modulus posted:

Careful, not paying attention whether a potential draft pick has got that dog in him is how your team ends up with Ben Simmons an important stat. First overall pick Ben simmons wasn't even that long ago. If teams valued that dog in-him-gotting back then i bet jaylen brown goes first

Nah, Jaylen had the "He is smart and likes Chess, can he really be a NBA player?" thing. He had dawg questions for sure.

Probably woulda been Dunn or Hield for Dawg in 2016

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Shear Modulus posted:

It's interesting that you bring up Jaylen Brown!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As I was telling the n/v discord boys, projected 2nd or 3rd pick Brandon Miller has a quite unique statistical profile, with really good 3pt shooting, nice box score production, but some dreadful finishing near the basket, 37% on non dunks (54.3 literally at the rim, he is able to dunk)

There is only one other historical prospect who fits this mold at all. His name is Jaylen Brown.

However, there is a massive caveat. Jaylen Brown played on a Cal team with spacing so bad that it may have been the worst spaced D1 program in the last 20 years.

other starters Ivan Rabb. Tyrone Wallace. Kinglsey Okoro. Something absurd like 11 attempted threes. I think they had 2 guys who shot threes at acceptable levels and that was literally it.

Alamaba is supposed to be the model threes and layups college program. It's not that 2015-16 cal team. It wasn't actually ideally spaced but it's worlds different.

Some would assign blame to some nagging injuries Brandon had. Some say it's because of his so so athleticism.

unlike scoot's so called awful shooting, which mainly comes from people not knowing how to read g-league stats (he actually shot 32% from three this year) this is pretty scary.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Shear Modulus posted:

I correctly questioned Ben's makeup because of how he was treated in the australian institute of sport system. I'd have to think about dawg red flags this year

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Prospects who got dat dog in em

1. Cidy Sissoko --just plays super loving hard
2. Scooter Henderson-- if anything his tenacity is underrated right now

Prospects who don't

1. Jett Howard
2. GG Jackson-but maybe only because he was a 17 year old boy over his head in ncaa bball?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
GG Jackson is gonna flame out before the natural end of his rookie contract or be a top 5 player in this draft.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Dejan Bimble posted:

It's interesting that you bring up Jaylen Brown!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As I was telling the n/v discord boys, projected 2nd or 3rd pick Brandon Miller has a quite unique statistical profile, with really good 3pt shooting, nice box score production, but some dreadful finishing near the basket, 37% on non dunks (54.3 literally at the rim, he is able to dunk)

There is only one other historical prospect who fits this mold at all. His name is Jaylen Brown.

However, there is a massive caveat. Jaylen Brown played on a Cal team with spacing so bad that it may have been the worst spaced D1 program in the last 20 years.

other starters Ivan Rabb. Tyrone Wallace. Kinglsey Okoro. Something absurd like 11 attempted threes. I think they had 2 guys who shot threes at acceptable levels and that was literally it.

Alamaba is supposed to be the model threes and layups college program. It's not that 2015-16 cal team. It wasn't actually ideally spaced but it's worlds different.

Some would assign blame to some nagging injuries Brandon had. Some say it's because of his so so athleticism.

unlike scoot's so called awful shooting, which mainly comes from people not knowing how to read g-league stats (he actually shot 32% from three this year) this is pretty scary.

Are you Sam Vecenie?

What is your take on the Thompson twins?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Calling someone Sam Vecenie is a great honor.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Mean Baby posted:

Are you Sam Vecenie?

What is your take on the Thompson twins?

I'm a huge fan of his show, he's the modern day mike schmitz now that mike is with the blazers and no longer a media guy. Givony is no substitute. And he's made massive strides from when he started and was often really wrong.

When it comes to the twins i'm more of a PD Web because of Amen's insane athleticism in every possible facet of basketball. the shiftiness, the stop start, he just has speed and explosion in every direction.

He can jump without getting ready to jump, it just kind of happens?

His big failing right now is his lack of a counter, no ja floater, no popping for a jumper at 18 feet. But I think he's going to be able to make so much space for himself that a rudimentary counter will be fine for him.
He has such a vertical pop that he can just sort of aim shots close to the basket, really line them up like someone playing pop a shot at a carnival.

both he and his brother are a bit skinny, but I think they should be able to get thicker. My fear for them is that they're so used to their twin telepathy and always playing together that it will be a big adjustment getting used to life apart. Like Marcus and Markieff Morris, to a lesser extent the martin twins.

Ausar is a bit different. Amen will be on ball so his lack of jumper is a bit less of a problem.

Ausar's best developmental path will be to become Andre Igoudala, just do all the dirty work at the highest level and hope that the shot comes at a respectable % over time, but while he's waiting he just does so much, stuff like having a big DHO him so he can roll to the rim, that it will work out. Bruce Brown. Think bruce brown. But with speed rather than strength. You know how guys like Rudy Gay and Jeff Green ended up being like super useful role players when it was obvious they weren't first options, partly because they were godly athletes? Think about that.
so top end: super andre igoudala

Amen has an all-nba ceiling while I think Ausar's best self is more of a borderline all-star. and amen's non TOTAL FAILURE floor, that is to say, role player outcome is tall Ish Smith while ausar's is something like Hami Diallo.

Ish smith in his prime was the fastest player in the league, with insane passing vision, in case that comp didn't parse for you.

Ausar thompson's true floor= Corey Brewer without a jumper

Ausar absolutely devoured defenders when they sagged off of him at the line. (why would anyone ever sag off of a sub 30% shooter?? but it happened) so if he can get his jumper to the level of like 36% from the corners, so that he actually has to be covered, he immediately prevents his man from ever helping off him, as long as he can catch a pass. That gives him a reason to be on the floor.

I think one of the areas where we differntiate Amen (pg) from Ausar (not pg) is that once Ausar makes his mind up, he's basically doing that, and when he changes his mind, he doesn't know how to communicate it to his muscles fast enough and ends up looking squirrely and failing to do whatever he meant to do. Amen is a bit better at going from "okay, this isn't working" to "I'm going to do this instead" in spite of his lack of actual counters.

Ausar with the ball is either turbo or turtle. Amen doens't have an amazing off speed game but he at least has something in between.

I have a lot to say about these guys, i've been watching a lot since detroit may end up with either

should I keep editing things in or just make a separate post?

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 11, 2023

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Dejan Bimble posted:

I'm a huge fan of his show, he's the modern day mike schmitz now that mike is with the blazers and no longer a media guy. Givony is no substitute. And he's made massive strides from when he started and was often really wrong.

When it comes to the twins i'm more of a PD Web because of Amen's insane athleticism in every possible facet of basketball. the shiftiness, the stop start, he just has speed and explosion in every direction.

He can jump without getting ready to jump, it just kind of happens?

His big failing right now is his lack of a counter, no ja floater, no popping for a jumper at 18 feet. But I think he's going to be able to make so much space for himself that a rudimentary counter will be fine for him.
He has such a vertical pop that he can just sort of aim shots close to the basket, really line them up like someone playing pop a shot at a carnival.

both he and his brother are a bit skinny, but I think they should be able to get thicker. My fear for them is that they're so used to their twin telepathy and always playing together that it will be a big adjustment getting used to life apart. Like Marcus and Markieff Morris, to a lesser extent the martin twins.

Ausar is a bit different. Amen will be on ball so his lack of jumper is a bit less of a problem.

Ausar's best developmental path will be to become Andre Igoudala, just do all the dirty work at the highest level and hope that the shot comes at a respectable % over time, but while he's waiting he just does so much, stuff like having a big DHO him so he can roll to the rim, that it will work out. Bruce Brown. Think bruce brown. But with speed rather than strength. You know how guys like Rudy Gay and Jeff Green ended up being like super useful role players when it was obvious they weren't first options, partly because they were godly athletes? Think about that.
so top end: super andre igoudala

Amen has an all-nba ceiling while I think Ausar's best self is more of a borderline all-star. and amen's non TOTAL FAILURE floor, that is to say, role player outcome is tall Ish Smith while ausar's is something like Hami Diallo.

Ish smith in his prime was the fastest player in the league, with insane passing vision, in case that comp didn't parse for you.

Ausar thompson's true floor= Corey Brewer without a jumper

Ausar absolutely devoured defenders when they sagged off of him at the line. (why would anyone ever sag off of a sub 30% shooter?? but it happened) so if he can get his jumper to the level of like 36% from the corners, so that he actually has to be covered, he immediately prevents his man from ever helping off him, as long as he can catch a pass. That gives him a reason to be on the floor.

I think one of the areas where we differntiate Amen (pg) from Ausar (not pg) is that once Ausar makes his mind up, he's basically doing that, and when he changes his mind, he doesn't know how to communicate it to his muscles fast enough and ends up looking squirrely and failing to do whatever he meant to do. Amen is a bit better at going from "okay, this isn't working" to "I'm going to do this instead" in spite of his lack of actual counters.

Ausar with the ball is either turbo or turtle. Amen doens't have an amazing off speed game but he at least has something in between.

I have a lot to say about these guys, i've been watching a lot since detroit may end up with either

should I keep editing things in or just make a separate post?

I could tell because I heard a lot of the G-League spacing stuff on it with Scoot.

I watched a bit of both the twins in OTE on Amazon and you can tell the talent and athleticism is there. It is really hard to judge the level of competition and the announcers are really annoying.

Them and Whitmore seem like the biggest boom bust prospects in the top 10.

I think if Scoot is taken at 2, I wouldn't be surprised if the Blazers went with Amen at 3 over Miller. They usually draft the riskier, higher ceiling players - Simons, Little, & Sharpe being the most notable. Amen would really complement Dame (or Simons) and Sharpe long term.

I haven't had a chance to watch Miller. Is there any good game to watch which is on a streaming service / YouTube? I want to check out his game.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Mean Baby posted:

I could tell because I heard a lot of the G-League spacing stuff on it with Scoot.

I watched a bit of both the twins in OTE on Amazon and you can tell the talent and athleticism is there. It is really hard to judge the level of competition and the announcers are really annoying.

Them and Whitmore seem like the biggest boom bust prospects in the top 10.

I think if Scoot is taken at 2, I wouldn't be surprised if the Blazers went with Amen at 3 over Miller. They usually draft the riskier, higher ceiling players - Simons, Little, & Sharpe being the most notable. Amen would really complement Dame (or Simons) and Sharpe long term.

I haven't had a chance to watch Miller. Is there any good game to watch which is on a streaming service / YouTube? I want to check out his game.

I dunno about legit places i get all my college games from bootleg russian websites. I would watch him vs memphis, vs florida, vs texas a&m, vs san diego state, and missouri in the tournament to get a sort of snapshot. His tournament games have more playmaking glimpses than most of the regular season. And the self creation inches up as the year goes on.
https://basketball-video.com/search/?q=alabama
Full game miller is also where you get to see those scary 37% shots between 3pt line and the rim number. He just doesn't have the burst and seems uncomfortable doing it.

I think Whitmore is a top 25 NBA athlete today, and yeah his total lack of passing is a huge red flag. The irony is that when he does pass, he makes good reads. To me he has the face tool of a 25ppg scorer, which is the least scientific analysis possible, but he's got the look of a 90s sf who just gets buckets.

The blazers seem to have their heart in the right place in terms of drafting for pure upside,(it really made me sad when Detroit passed on Shaedon for Ivey), despite the moans of Damien Lillard, so anything is possible. A future Blazers with Amen as the pg and Shaedon at 2, nas little somewehre, Anfernee Simons long-traded-away, and some other good players, that could be terrifying

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I keep seeing Davion Mitchell comps for Cason Wallace because of the pg defense. But they aren't the same skillwse. Davion is a one on one guy who cant really guard bigger positions. Cason is more of a floater who's great at helping everywhere and staying on balance, I think Cason will be a better defender in the NBA because of that.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
More Ausar Thompson here:

Ausar's half court fg% for the year was 36.7, thankfully if you remember how bad his finishing numbers looked like early on they really improved towards the end. so he can put the ball in the basket if you put him next to it with a head of steam

Here's the rub with Ausar. If you sag off him (for some reason ???? ?? ) he will loving eat you alive.

If he develops a jumper to just like, you need to put a man on him in the corner, levels, then he will feast on sags. And just knowing that means his man can't help off him, which gives him a reason to be on the floor. And when a guy is unique and uniquely limited, you need to comp up with reasons why he should be on the floor rather than a median NBA player if you want to draft him.

An evil man's comp:
skinny tony wroten

Ausar did make 39% of his threes in the playoffs for the OTE, and his mechanics improved pretty visibly on catch and shoots.
https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1633846936427204608?s=20 givony believess in ausar's jumper

I've been watching Ausar's defense and it's pretty heartening. He really slides well and when he gets down in a stance these OTE kids are not getting past him ever. Strength will be a question in the nba, narrow shoulders, Luka will just walk through him but he'd need to protect his dribble. Ausar has nice hands for steals, even if his numbers are inflated by OTE playing 2x transition that the NBA does + he gambles

And the bball iq is there, he's reading things as they happen without a problem. On the other hand, a common problem for athletes like him on d is that they're so fast that they get away with not playing in a stance. He needs to commit to that, because of his leanness especially.

I saw guy on reddit comp Ausar to Metta World Peace which is maybe only based on haircuts, ecause Metta was twice as broad. The thing color announcers would always say "He looks like a middle linebacker out there Marv"

And brass tacks nuts and bolts, Ausar has more bball iq than Amen. He just makes smarter reads despite being much worse as a passer.
Second half ausar's jumper is world's better than his brother

I think those 2 things are the reasons why "less athletic bad jumper twin" is still a lottery pick.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Amen Thompson:

Amen can't shoot. Amen's hands end up in the front crawl. He will shoot, which is nice in theory, but he can't. He makes shots near the basket, so his touch isn't awful, but he has no jumper at all, you can tell he was a hyper athletic little baby boy torquing his 3'9 body to hit jump shots. He has the full grown strong child jumper, which is always a disaster.

Amen gets to the basket with such ease when there's space that it's funny. Amen would make it viable to play a stretch 5 all his minutes even if the guy sucked on defense, like play Kelly Olynyk 40 minutes a game and don't blink, because he'd walk to the basket every time if the defense has to honestly cover 4 shooters.

Karl Towns would be an ideal partner for Amen, because he could space the floor and move in for midrange shots once actions had clicked through.

Amen opens shooters up after crashing into the paint at such a silly level, from his man sagging 15 feet off, now amen is in the paint with 4 defenders around him, and the easiest catch and shoot three in the world happens after the kick out. Add that since 3pt rebounds tend to go in random directions, its kind of nice for offensive rebounding.

Even though Amen doesn't have the bball iq of his brother, Ive seen amen misread the low man basically never. He whips passes everywhere and doesn't worry about a thing. He's not Jokic or Ricky Rubio but he's a top level passer. It's his elite skill other than movement.

My development checklist for amen
0.Jumper (duh)
1. any sort of off dribble counter whether it's a floater or anything else
2.deceleration
3. basically focus on defense, get in a stance, dont die on screens, just be there. your brother can do this and he's only 85% the movement magician you are, so just do it, don't andrew wiggins yourself
4. any semblance of off ball game

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jun 11, 2023

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
the usually wrong Kevin O'connor of theringer.com has ace movement shooter Jordan Hawkins ranked 25th on his big board, despite being the only high level movement shooter in the last 5 or 6 drafts.

rick and i were talking about how this archetype has disappeared from the developmental pipeline, maybe because kids want to practice pull up threes instead. A lot of teams are playing 2 iso guys at once which takes away room from rip hamilton types running off screens, and limits the landing spots for Jordan. Ie, pre quinn snyder hawks couldn't play him.

But what I see is a ready made dude who will make an offense better. He would really help Cleveland if they started moving the ball. Yes he's a 6'4 SG, but he plays good team defense and he's very skilled. I think it would be insane if he fell this far.

What do you guys think about the dearth of dudes who shoot off movement?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Thank you for mentioning Amazon Mean Baby. Watching the twins toss around high schoolers as we speak.

I am going to say a game where Miller’s cons are a bit on display: Alabama vs Arkansas. Actually a good display of Anthony Black’s cons too since those teams just tossed rocks at each other all night.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Would there be any logic in Orlando taking that Bulls 1st and packaging it with Fultz's expiring deal and getting either Houston/Detroit's pick with the intention of pairing the twins together? If #11/Fultz would even be enough.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
This was my first full OTE game, City Reapers (the twins' team) vs OSL Flacons and let me tell you, it's more fun than a college game at least.

Now, high schoolers were out of draft contention long before I started caring about the draft, but I seem to remember the conventional wisdom being that you could not take much from games with high school aged kids and just had watch every possession as if it was in a vacuum.

That's important for the twins because they were not the best players in the game Ty-Laur Johnson, Armoni Zeigler, and especially Youssouf Singare, all guys entering college this year (although to be fair Youssouf is 20, although apparently he's only been playing basketball a very short time, which is wild because he looked great out there) were really good, and arguably more impactful than Ausar and definitely more impactful than Amen.

But, this OT format has a hilarious rules where once you enter the bonus if you get fouled you get a power play (4 on 5) for 14 seconds, and if you get fouled during that power play you get 2 free points. The City Reapers scored 8 points on these power plays, the Falcons never even got a power play, the Reapers won the game by 3 despite being dominated much of the second half. Take what you will from this situation.

I plan to watch them some more provided I have the time. I can see why people feel highly about Ausar, at least a little bit. Amen, not so much. But I've come around to feeling like these are prospects that I'm just going to have to trust the people I respect know what they're talking about.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Wasn’t Brandon Miller a mid-range savant in high school? The finishing is concerning but just like a good mid-range shooter can sometimes predict development behind the arc I’d assume the opposite is also true

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dejan Bimble posted:

What do you guys think about the dearth of dudes who shoot off movement?

That archetype really needs to do more mid-range C&S, which has vanished. Midrange is still there but usually off screening action or ISO which isn't usually in the skillset of the kind of guy you're talking about.

There are still guys who move to shots but it's like MPJ or Bane or bench guys like Malik Beasley. Those aren't quite the same as what you're talking about, that's more drifting to a spot up and not really the Rip Hamilton thing.

So basically I think its evolved as the mid range catch and shoot has vanished and has become more part of having 3pt catch and shoot as part of a larger skillset.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Lockback posted:

That archetype really needs to do more mid-range C&S, which has vanished. Midrange is still there but usually off screening action or ISO which isn't usually in the skillset of the kind of guy you're talking about.

There are still guys who move to shots but it's like MPJ or Bane or bench guys like Malik Beasley. Those aren't quite the same as what you're talking about, that's more drifting to a spot up and not really the Rip Hamilton thing.

So basically I think its evolved as the mid range catch and shoot has vanished and has become more part of having 3pt catch and shoot as part of a larger skillset.

The problem with the mid range catch and shoot is basically, if you're not a featured guy you're better off just shooting 3s because of the spacing aspect, and feature guys take mid range catch and shoot mostly as a counter-move to whatever kind of rim attack they do. If you're running of a screen and driving isn't really your thing, you're better off just running all the way to the 3pt line than stopping halfway.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Kings had this problem with Kevin Martin and Tyreke. Even though Martin was running around off ball, they still had to set screens and do placement stuff to eventually get him the ball in a good spot and that was a tremendous amount of team effort and energy to expend when 1-4 flat with Tyreke ended up being a more productive play

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

C. Everett Koop posted:

Would there be any logic in Orlando taking that Bulls 1st and packaging it with Fultz's expiring deal and getting either Houston/Detroit's pick with the intention of pairing the twins together? If #11/Fultz would even be enough.

Both Houston and Detroit are under the cap (Houston is miles under) and don't need to quickly shed salary so don't have much use for an expiring. Who would be the third team that really wants an expiring and has a high draft pick or disgruntled superstar that Houston or Detroit would want?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Some spec has Toronto picking Cason Wallace, what kind of ceiling does he have? He seems defensively intriguing

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

C. Everett Koop posted:

Magic seem to really like how Fultz has developed for them and see him as a plus player, which this most recent season supports. With Fultz they were 29 - 31, vs 5 - 17 without. I don’t think they’re so enamored with Markelle that he’s off the market, but I doubt they’re interested in shipping him out for yet more rookies, especially given how thin they are at PG without Fultz.

Orlando is definitely reaching a point where they don’t have enough minutes to go around and the ability to develop multiple rookies at once isn’t viable any longer. They need to find a starting SG better then Gary Harris, and then start filling out 2nd unit spots at guard better then Suggs / Anthony, forward better then Okeke, and center better then Bol Bol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Rick posted:

But, this OT format has a hilarious rules where once you enter the bonus if you get fouled you get a power play (4 on 5) for 14 seconds, and if you get fouled during that power play you get 2 free points.

Hell yeah, Hocketball has arrived.