Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

kedo posted:

You want to farm gold in WoW classic.

Some botter did a AMA on Reddit recently and apparently he was making $2-3k per month at WotLK launch.

Man the bottom really fell out of RMT. Rip to the days of powerleveling a dozen accounts at once and selling them on MD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013

Freakazoid_ posted:

There's a little part of me that would like to give Lineage 2 another shot, but I missed the boat on the official classic server and there are no popular private servers.

There's a really nice new server for L2 coming out soon, just did a beta test in Korea. Has a few updated things but looks like the same game at its core.

It's called "throne and liberty"

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lol

also, a really big problem with things like that is that l2 was a janky mess, but it was a janky mess where devs had some fun ideas they then executed, sometimes even competently, because it was 2003 and nobody knew what was going to stick to the wall yet

the modern NCSoft mmos instead seem to be things that do all the bad 2003 MMO tropes well (bugs notwithstanding :v:) and somehow fail adding anything new/good worth mentioning on top lmao

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Simon Numbers posted:

There's a really nice new server for L2 coming out soon, just did a beta test in Korea. Has a few updated things but looks like the same game at its core.

It's called "throne and liberty"

not gonna lie you had me in the first half

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I got a response from the devs of magic to master which I did not expect, and this is the exact opposite of an acceptable explanation lol

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

holy poo poo lol

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

I said come in! posted:

holy poo poo lol

lmao

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

implementing an NFT system (Nice Fun Time)

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
skimming that kickstarter and saying No Fuckin Thanks

Pryce
May 21, 2011
I keep checking in on the kickstarter because it’s cracking me up. They keep saying the game is “cloud-based” and then also saying they need money for server hosting costs and infrastructure because “our game is entirely self-hosted”. So what do they think “cloud” means?

Between that and the NFT “mistake”, it made me wonder….is this a blockchain game? Is that what they mean by “cloud”?

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
It's a game by business mans. There is literally no limits to how little business mans can know about tech, including business mans who are supposed to know about tech, and decide where massive tech funding goes.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Hra Mormo posted:

It's a game by business mans. There is literally no limits to how little business mans can know about tech, including business mans who are supposed to know about tech, and decide where massive tech funding goes.

Except in this case “massive” means “$26,000”.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Pryce posted:

I keep checking in on the kickstarter because it’s cracking me up. They keep saying the game is “cloud-based” and then also saying they need money for server hosting costs and infrastructure because “our game is entirely self-hosted”. So what do they think “cloud” means?

Between that and the NFT “mistake”, it made me wonder….is this a blockchain game? Is that what they mean by “cloud”?

The language in the Server Costs section is just gibberish, yeah. I wouldn't be shocked if this ends in crypto tears.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

I said come in! posted:

May I please have a current-gen graphics version of Anarchy Online with modern day quality of life MMO features?

funcom is making a dune mmo now, which I mean - it will be bad and it has the dreaded "survival" label - but it will at least be somewhat scifi

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dante posted:

funcom is making a dune mmo now, which I mean - it will be bad and it has the dreaded "survival" label - but it will at least be somewhat scifi

I forgot they were making this, I wonder if we will see anything this month during all of the summer gamefest stuff.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Funcom's the one with a million currencies in their games, right?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

THE BAR posted:

No that's turbine. Funcom is the one that is just bone stupid.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

THE BAR posted:

Pretty much any K-MMO?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

MH Knights posted:

Pretty much any K-MMO?

Wouldn't know, I'm afraid.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Funcom's games don't do the million currency thing. Their problem is that they are just horribly out of date on trends and best practices in the MMO space.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Funcom also has a habit of abandoning their MMOs in terms of content updates after a while, but that is also part of their "reach exceeds grasp" design philosophy. They'll make an absolute banger of a base game but it doesn't make the money they need to keep adding new content

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I really enjoyed my time in Age of Conan after it's expansion, but the games launch was so awful it guaranteed it was pretty much on borrowed time. Sure enough it went f2p and that killed my desire to keep playing, especially the content they added after that was all pretty awful.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Age of Conan was one of my favorite mmo launches with goons because it was ripe for griefing, but besides AO Funcom has had nothing but misses in the genre.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flzahpG6U0k gameplay of Dune

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

kedo posted:

Age of Conan was one of my favorite mmo launches with goons because it was ripe for griefing, but besides AO Funcom has had nothing but misses in the genre.

Secret World was pretty good for a bit after it released.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

kedo posted:

I played one of the full PvP servers and it was so loving funny that you couldn't do any kind of combat in water. Ranged classes would just sit on tiny pieces of geometry that let them stand until melee got close enough at which point they would just swim until they gave up

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Phoix posted:

I played one of the full PvP servers and it was so loving funny that you couldn't do any kind of combat in water. Ranged classes would just sit on tiny pieces of geometry that let them stand until melee got close enough at which point they would just swim until they gave up

Melee classes couldnt do any PvP, what a dumb game

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Cool Dad posted:

Secret World was pretty good for a bit after it released.

I’ll be honest, I always forget this game was a thing.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

kedo posted:

For those of us who want an experience like UO or SWG (which feel very similar to me) the term "MMO" has departed so far from those original concepts that a new game in the vein would need to be called something else entirely.

Give me a game with a big-rear end world, serviceable combat, and lots of non-combat activities to partake in that are equal in richness to combat, and keep your raids and gear treadmills. Call it something like a "living world game" and I will play it for the rest of eternity.

Every few years I check into MMOs to see if they finally are putting something else out like UO and every few years I am disappointed. How am I supposed to care about guilds unless I can actually "live" around guild members and have real beefs with them over petty poo poo, hah.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Incredulous Dylan posted:

Every few years I check into MMOs to see if they finally are putting something else out like UO and every few years I am disappointed. How am I supposed to care about guilds unless I can actually "live" around guild members and have real beefs with them over petty poo poo, hah.

Pax Dei just got announced. They are trying to do EvE on the ground, so I guess spreadsheets on earth!

Bonus, guilds at least mean something.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Really waiting on the part where they describe how this is a MMO and not just a Conan Exiles reskin

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

PyRosflam posted:

Pax Dei just got announced. They are trying to do EvE on the ground, so I guess spreadsheets on earth!

Bonus, guilds at least mean something.

PC Gamer ran a vaguely optimistic article about this game. It looks pretty good at a conceptual level so I'm expecting it to be spectacularly awful in practice because we can't have nice things in this timeline.

I couldn't find out much about the developers, Mainframe Industries (which is an interesting choice of name for a supposedly cloud-native dev house), but at least it's not another Amazon MMO.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Really waiting on the part where they describe how this is a MMO and not just a Conan Exiles reskin

I'll be honest I didn't watch that video because nothing bores me more than hearing game designers spout marketing gibberish to sell their still-in-alpha game...

...but I would play the heck out of a Conan Exiles reskin with a few extra MMO trappings.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I'm mostly wondering how they are going to make the map interesting when it is by necessity a gigantic barren desert.

At a certain point it becomes a navigation issue if every part of the map looks identical.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CuddleCryptid posted:

I'm mostly wondering how they are going to make the map interesting when it is by necessity a gigantic barren desert.

At a certain point it becomes a navigation issue if every part of the map looks identical.

It seems like they are going for a lot of cities, underground locations, and rocky hills / mountain regions. With a huge desert area that will probably have the best materials and most spice, but be the most dangerous, and used for PvP.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Dune without the political intrigue sounds drier than something more dry than the average.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

THE BAR posted:

Dune without the political intrigue sounds drier than something more dry than the average.

Making it a survival game is so dumb with all you could do with a Dune MMO.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Cant wait pop the doors on some noobs sietch by lasgunning my duo partners sheild.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Dune is the one with those cool looking dragonfly planes, right? So maybe they can do something with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

Making it a survival game is so dumb with all you could do with a Dune MMO.

I mean, making it at least partially a survival game seems on point for a game set on Arrakis, but there drat well better be more to it than just that.

However a true survival MMO would be a new direction for the genre. I'm not talking survival-lite (eg. New World), but a straight up "if you don't drink water you die," type survival game. I'm not sure how it'd sit with your average "I care about my parses" MMO player, but survival games are a pretty huge market these days. The two genres scratch a very similar itch for me.