Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
First Sumatran to *dive* into the summit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Can you imagine the rage from the mountaineering community if someone just *stepped* off of a hot air balloon onto the summit, planted the flag, and hosed off?

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

A guy did that with a helicopter a decade or two ago; minus the flag-planting...or the stepping out. But the skids did touch the summit.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Over here we have This dude who may be "only" a measly 5k tall, but recently has been throwing up a bunch of ash as if to remind everyone it's very alive and well. Someone earlier in the thread posted 'First X to dive into the summit' and I was reminded of its recent activity, I was gonna look for a drone video the army took recently to show the inside of the crater, but found this instead. It dovetails into the topics of the thread nicely: Yeah imagine climbing an active VOLCANO, no biggie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIq_xUmuqSk

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
everest v. helicopter debating who gets to kill the human

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

20 Blunts posted:

everest v. helicopter debating who gets to kill the human

🗻: Chomolungma balls lmao gottem

🚁: :nsamad:

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Alan Smithee posted:

First Sumatran to *dive* into the summit

I mean Felix Baumgartner did that balloon skydive from about 140 thousand feet up so it's not impossible

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

A new season of Alone started last night y'all.

:getin:

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Sirotan posted:

Good. I need a new season to bleach my brain after watching that Netflix show where 4 teams try to survive in the wild and it's basically awful people acting awful.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

AceClown posted:

I mean Felix Baumgartner did that balloon skydive from about 140 thousand feet up so it's not impossible

Didn't some Google exec immediately beat him to show off?

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Canuckistan posted:

Good. I need a new season to bleach my brain after watching that Netflix show where 4 teams try to survive in the wild and it's basically awful people acting awful.

Was that Outlast? I found that unpleasant to watch. I spoiled it for myself so I didn't have to finish it. I hated the team of 2 women and one guy who stole the sleeping bags and acted like arseholes. I mean they were technically right, there were no rules, but gently caress them for that move. I'm glad they lost.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sirotan posted:

Oh hell yeah, I just remembered about this show and watched the previous season a few weeks ago, had no idea it's time for the new season

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Rondette posted:

Was that Outlast? I found that unpleasant to watch. I spoiled it for myself so I didn't have to finish it. I hated the team of 2 women and one guy who stole the sleeping bags and acted like arseholes. I mean they were technically right, there were no rules, but gently caress them for that move. I'm glad they lost.

They just pulled an audible and started wrecking poo poo while most of the crew was off scouting a location for a challenge.

The production had to go along with it. The damage was done.

I’m not putting this in spoiler tags because no one should watch this show.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Nothing will top the episode of Naked and Afraid where the lady feels sick, poops in their primary water supply over her partner's objections, then all the fish and other critters in the water DIE, to her utter bafflement.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Jose posted:

Didn't some Google exec immediately beat him to show off?

Yup, Eric Schmidt. (Who I think was ex-Google then, but IDK enough to google it.)

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Dienes posted:

Nothing will top the episode of Naked and Afraid where the lady feels sick, poops in their primary water supply over her partner's objections, then all the fish and other critters in the water DIE, to her utter bafflement.

What, is there a clip of this? This loving species I swear.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Platystemon posted:

They just pulled an audible and started wrecking poo poo while most of the crew was off scouting a location for a challenge.

Lol god drat, that's what happened there? On one hand it was an interesting variation on the genre, but yeah it immediately transformed the incentives, and like why wouldn't you just smash everybody else's poo poo at that point?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Platystemon posted:

Doubt. I think that's the cover story they're going with after allowing it to happen.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Canuckistan posted:

Doubt. I think that's the cover story they're going with after allowing it to happen.

It’s the story that Javier (HungryGuyOnABicycle on Reddit) tells anyway.

quote:

Guys... Production shut down everything for a day to discuss the incident. We all had to stay in our camps and there was no filming that day. I think after Jill and Amber caused everyone to get detention... They realized that they were being a little too insane for TV. 😐

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

will naked and afraid be going to Everest?

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Sounds more like The Amazing Race material to me.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

nomad2020 posted:

Sounds more like The Amazing Race material to me.

While the Sherpa people are fantastic, I’m wary of using that title to refer to them.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yup, Eric Schmidt. (Who I think was ex-Google then, but IDK enough to google it.)

To be fair to Alan Eustace, he did it in the least comfortable way I can imagine, spending two hours hanging face down under a balloon while being uncomfortable hot. Not exactly the gently caress you I'd imagine from a rich dude.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dienes posted:

I don't think she pooped in the spring. She had diarrhea and then washed her rear end in the spring. Still insane, but not quite as insane as pooping directly in the water.

Yeah, I found a reddit video, but I don't know how to repost those so https://www.reddit.com/r/nakedandafraid/comments/mkv90y/when_your_survival_item_should_have_been_a_diaper/

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think the fish died because she kicked up a bunch of sediment while washing her diarrhea rear end and the fish couldn't handle that.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Facebook Aunt posted:

I don't think she pooped in the spring. She had diarrhea and then washed her rear end in the spring. Still insane, but not quite as insane as pooping directly in the water.

Yeah, I found a reddit video, but I don't know how to repost those so https://www.reddit.com/r/nakedandafraid/comments/mkv90y/when_your_survival_item_should_have_been_a_diaper/

why are you doxxing my living situation

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Facebook Aunt posted:

I still maintain that washing diarrhea rear end is going to put a shocking amount of poop in the water.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dienes posted:

I still maintain that washing diarrhea rear end is going to put a shocking amount of poop in the water.

Definitely. But looking at that pool and thinking "bathtub" is a little less deranged than looking at it and thinking "toilet".

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Facebook Aunt posted:

Definitely. But looking at that pool and thinking "bidet" is not that far removed from looking at it and thinking "toilet".

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Potrzebie posted:

To be fair to Alan Eustace, he did it in the least comfortable way I can imagine, spending two hours hanging face down under a balloon while being uncomfortable hot. Not exactly the gently caress you I'd imagine from a rich dude.
Oh, whoops. Thanks for the catch.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Cojawfee posted:

I think the fish died because she kicked up a bunch of sediment while washing her diarrhea rear end and the fish couldn't handle that.

Fish can handle pretty high turbidity for short periods of time. If it was I ly for an hour or so I'd expect them to be okay.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Apollodorus posted:

While the Sherpa people are fantastic, I’m wary of using that title to refer to them.

lol.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
Insurmountable is 75% off on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1385100/Insurmountable/

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Have any of you watched Alone Australia? I loved it. There’s a dude who’s all “IM AN ALPHA MALE” who taps out on day 2. There is a super badass woman who brought a possum coat and a salt block and has an amazing incredibly tragic story, and I’m going to one of her workshops in two weeks. Can’t wait.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Switchback posted:

Have any of you watched Alone Australia? I loved it. There’s a dude who’s all “IM AN ALPHA MALE” who taps out on day 2. There is a super badass woman who brought a possum coat and a salt block and has an amazing incredibly tragic story, and I’m going to one of her workshops in two weeks. Can’t wait.

Coat made of possums, or for possums?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

A block made of salt, or lotion you rub on your skin that protects you from salt?

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

A coat made of possums (better than a sleeping bag), and a block of salt (for eating). I’d never seen someone chose salt as one of their items on Alone, but I think it was one of the best items anyone had.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Switchback posted:

I had no idea. Acquiring it now!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Switchback posted:

Thanks for the tip! Watching now. That land looks so *deeply* unfriendly. Mud and moss and cold water.

e: Aww that one lady is freaking herself out so efficiently. At least she's honest about it though.

HopperUK fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jun 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.

Switchback posted:

Worst season of Alone so far, I reckon. Not really much in the way of construction or positivity, just a bunch of whinging about coldness, the austerity of the environment, and a squeaky Dave Hughes analogue talking about his PTSD.

I've always wanted to see a season set here, but in the hot outback - set it apart a bit, and give the rest of the world a chance to see something different (people flopped spread-eagled in dugouts drinking water during the day, collecting water, chasing Eastern Browns with sticks).