Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

A Moose posted:

Oh man, that Pioneer Archfiend Alteration combo is legit in Explorer. The only swap I needed to make was switching out Dig Through Time for the lovely version from midnight hunt. I've killed people from nowhere by just playing grixis midrange until I hit 6 mana and then kill them on their upkeep. Or I just win as Grixis Midrange. Archfiend of the Dross can just kill people by attacking too. I'm only in bronze since I haven't played explorer in a minute, but I feel like most people haven't seen it before, since it was only discovered like a week ago. Even if they know its coming, there's not a lot some decks can do about it. It feels very Inverter-ish. But probably just bad enough to not get banned. After all this combo is much more fragile, considering instant speed removal can actually disrupt it.

here's the list:
https://mtgdecks.net/Pioneer/archfiend-alteration-decklist-by-nicole-dubin-1664887

How much are tyou at a disadvantage not having a good explorer manabase? Had to cut like 18 lands to be able to craft, but if having a mediocre standard manabase only is too much of a handicap I think I'll hold off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Squiggly posted:

Thanks for the advice. I knew one with the multiverse was not the "correct" pick but I would have thought the correct pick was Urza

Isn't mass production good because of the equipment or is the flyer still better? 4 1/1s for 6 is definitely a premium rate but I might need the 4 bodies?
Good luck trying to make it to turn 6 with a deck that "needs" the bodies at that point

Draft Critique:
P1P3: Loran's Escape is super late filler. No way it's a pick this early. Steel Exemplar is an awesome monocolor payoff if you think you might be able to swing that (maybe no U based, tho you can!). Best card in the pack is Strongbull. It's absolutely sick in this format where you have incidental artifacts lying around left and right. If you want to stay U, Animation is also excellent. One of those "much better than it looks" cards for this format where there's always something around to animate, then it's a 4/4 for 4 that draws a card.
P1P4: Wellspring is for example an excellent Animation target. Prospector suuucks. One of those cards where you pay way too much for getting Powerstones way too late. Engineer is a much better incidental Powerstone card because it trades and leaves sth behind. My pick here is Scrapwork Mutt, just an all-around awesome card, you cannot go wrong with it even if you have zero red sources
P1P5: OwtM is unplayable. Can't even pay for it with Powerstones. Scrapwork Cohort otoh is one of the best cards in the format. Three bodies in one card, all artifacts, hell yes please.
P1P6: correct pick thus
P1P7: The bots undervalue G 2-drops hard. All of the ones in this pack are playable. Just an observation - for you, picking Frontliner is fine.
P1P8: Actually picking Production here is fine. Rest of the cards are meh at best. Union is maybe okay for those controlly builds. Wings have been surprisingly nasty sometimes but idk
P1P9: Sentinel is unplayable. Anointer is undervalued by bots, got that super late too (no need to pivot now tho). Archaeologist is, as I said, surprisingly okay. Take that here
P1P10: I find Powerblade garbage, tho people might disagree. It's Machine Over Matter for me, another overperformer in the format
P1P11: Power Suit is soooo clunky. Animation all the way

P2P3: It's funny that with Flow here, if you'd taken the two Exemplars that got passed around, you could plan to go into Mono-U here. This is a draft that definitely shows the way there. Metamorph sucks btw. Usually nothing good to copy
not gonna go into too much more details because now it's clear that I'd have gone comletely differently than you. Only pointing out stuff where your evaluation is very off.
P2P14: every deck wants a Refractor. In people draft, no way you'd get one that late. Just for splashing off-color Unearth costs for free makes it worth it

P3P2: Self-Assembler is worthless unless you specifically draft that deck (and...it's still very bad). Airlift Chaplain is the card for you here. Or Subjugation
P3P4: really wondering what you even want to protect with those Escapes. Always Animation here
P3P6: Stone Retrieval Unit is barely playable (body too under rate, won't defend against the aggressive decks). Note again that there's LOTS of green open. For you, not much, admittedly
P3P7: no way you're playing two wings. MOM again
P3P8: I assume you raredrafted here, but Combat Courier would have been the slamdunk

Hope that helped!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I finally got a win with the flip side of Sheoldred!! Granted I would've won just attacking with the other side too, and the opponent left before I could see all our graveyards enter the battlefield, but I technically did it, it was going to resolve I saw it on the stack and everything.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

Squiggly posted:

Any advice for someone who skipped Brothers War and is looking to quick draft?

it's a great limited format, aggro is king like everyone has said. prototype is incredible for limited, lets you have some curve toppers that you can also play out early if you need to.

avoiding double post, new topic below

so i've been driving this UW aggro soldier deck with lots of control elements in standard and it rules, tons of interactivity and playing primarily at the end of the opponent's turn is really satisfying. looking to make some tweaks with the thread's guidance!

quote:

4 Yotian Frontliner
4 Recruitment Officer
2 Skrelv, Defector Mite
4 Resolute Reinforcements
4 Zephyr Sentinel
4 Valiant Veteran
4 Knight-Errant of Eos
2 Spell Pierce
4 Make Disappear
2 Tocasia's Welcome
1 Invasion of New Phyrexia
2 Errant and Giada
1 Island
3 Plains
4 Adarkar Wastes
4 Seachrome Coast
2 Deserted Beach
2 Secluded Courtyard
4 Fortified Beachhead
1 Mirrex
1 Eiganjo, Seat of the Empire
1 Otawara, Soaring City

sideboard
2 Dennick, Pious Apprentice
1 Brutal Cathar
2 Surge of Salvation
3 Lantern Flare
3 Destroy Evil
2 Protect the Negotiators
2 Tocasia's Welcome

i'm definitely gonna cut the skrelvs; it's a great card, but i don't really wind up using the activated ability very much because i have the zephyr sentinels/countermagic, and the single white on a non-human can be a little tricky to cast sometimes. leaning towards cutting the surge of salvations in the sideboard for similar reasons, and the extra tocasia's welcomes. i haven't really been finding myself boarding the extra welcomes in, and it's kinda hard to get them into play while keeping countermagic up, although the card advantage is fuckin crazy once i get it going.

should i maindeck more countermagic (protect the negotiators has been doing work), or more stuff for the knight errants to hit? also strongly considering going to two invasions; i don't really want it early, but it's such a great pile of value when stuff stalls out midgame.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

I find Surge is way less useful post-Invoke Despair, and for some reason I haven't seen a single Brotherhood's End since then either

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Khanstant posted:

How much are tyou at a disadvantage not having a good explorer manabase? Had to cut like 18 lands to be able to craft, but if having a mediocre standard manabase only is too much of a handicap I think I'll hold off.

well, you wanna be able to Consider OR Thoughtsize on 1, bonecrusher, Censor, OR Go for the Throat on 2, fable on 3, have access to countermagic if you have it in hand, and be able to cast 2BB and 1U by turn 6. There's very little room for lands to come into play tapped. The mana base seems pretty important. Treasures from Fable help a little, but if you don't have a lot of the lands, you might want to alter it a little. Maybe cut red from it and replace with your favorite mix of removal, countermagic and card filtering.

The lands are really worth the investment, especially the ones that are standard legal.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah I'm just trying to get the rest of my standard manabase before investing in extended format lands. Thanks for the response, I'll hold off since the lands were such a big chunk I had to swap out already, and not even having 4x of some my replacements lol. I did use that as an excuse to craft the other 2 I was missing anyway.

Edit: actually kinda wondering if maybe I dump my rare WCs left into lands I'm missing and at least be good for standard shenanigans

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013

Eight-Six posted:

I find Surge is way less useful post-Invoke Despair, and for some reason I haven't seen a single Brotherhood's End since then either

Doesn't this make sense tho? Brotherhood's End was great for threatening opposing Fables plus w Bankbusters in all decks it was never dead. Killing my own Bankbuster to get theirs was often a correct play. Plus less red now in general w.o Fable, and it was often used by decks also running Invoke, since it could winnow the count of small creatures and hit things Invoke would not.

I liked the gameplay in Grixis and Atraxa Domain w Invoke, Fable & Bankbuster. Winning on turn 2 because you instant speed Abrade their Bankbuster made me feel big brained, even when it took 10 turns more to wrap up. I haven't played those decks again now after bans hehe, now I just slam Illuminator Virtuoso + Ivy Spellthief & ruin anyone's day if they aren't packing interaction by turn 4.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Ultimatefire posted:

Doesn't this make sense tho? Brotherhood's End was great for threatening opposing Fables plus w Bankbusters in all decks it was never dead. Killing my own Bankbuster to get theirs was often a correct play. Plus less red now in general w.o Fable, and it was often used by decks also running Invoke, since it could winnow the count of small creatures and hit things Invoke would not.

I liked the gameplay in Grixis and Atraxa Domain w Invoke, Fable & Bankbuster. Winning on turn 2 because you instant speed Abrade their Bankbuster made me feel big brained, even when it took 10 turns more to wrap up. I haven't played those decks again now after bans hehe, now I just slam Illuminator Virtuoso + Ivy Spellthief & ruin anyone's day if they aren't packing interaction by turn 4.

The previous standard, when it was ending and that annoying azorious phasing Illuminator Virtuoso deck was around - I played that deck and loved it. Is it reasonably back in some form in Bant?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

there's an Ivy spell thief deck with a 40% win rate but the pieces aren't there right now for a good Bogles deck.

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013

Eight-Six posted:

The previous standard, when it was ending and that annoying azorious phasing Illuminator Virtuoso deck was around - I played that deck and loved it. Is it reasonably back in some form in Bant?

Audacity, Calix, New Danitha + Witness Protection all give it a little more legs and width against a variety of strategies. It's not like.... better than pre-ban Grixis with Fable and Invoke and stuff. But it wins games plenty if there's no interaction from the opponent by turn 4.

I'll post my version later in the day, it's too early to stay awake right now

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

I feel like this image speaks for itself.

...okay, fine.

Fallaji Dragon Engine got me my 7th win that I really, REALLY didn't deserve, thanks to Reunion letting me Haste it.

First loss was in my second match because I hadn't quite worked out the strategy yet and was trying to be too cute, second loss was against UW fliers and I just drew absolutely no removal.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Someone please talk me out of a bad financial decision.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
What the hell else do you need 70 bucks for?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

girl dick energy posted:

This looks fun but also like it folds to a deck that isn't fun but wants to gently caress you up instead

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

girl dick energy posted:

I mean that's like half a set's worth of wildcards at worst, if it's a bad financial decision it's at least a very minorly bad financial decision, go for it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

OK maybe this does deserve to be Hellqueue lol

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the new nissa? oh hell yeah it's busted, absolutely hellqueue-destined from word go

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

OK maybe this does deserve to be Hellqueue lol

You hit them so hard their portrait was deleted

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

girl dick energy posted:

I've been sitting pretty just getting half of a deck and gradually finishing off playsets over the course of a month for one's I'm building wholesale. Getting one pack a day from day gold and drafting a fair amount nets you a decent amount of wildcards, and is definitely more bang for the buck than just buying them outright.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Simply Simon posted:

This looks fun but also like it folds to a deck that isn't fun but wants to gently caress you up instead
It's got a problem a lot of my decks have, where it'll be just effective enough to feel like a 'real' deck instead of what it is, a glorified gimmick.

(The wincon, such as it is, is to turbo out a Wurmcoil Engine equipped with Boots and Helm ASAP, and then win with the absurd value getting a free wurmcoil every turn provides.)

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013

Ultimatefire posted:

Audacity, Calix, New Danitha + Witness Protection all give it a little more legs and width against a variety of strategies. It's not like.... better than pre-ban Grixis with Fable and Invoke and stuff. But it wins games plenty if there's no interaction from the opponent by turn 4.

I'll post my version later in the day, it's too early to stay awake right now

Here we go, herer's what I'm playing in bo1 queue, it's not resilient, if they get several kill spells early you just re-queue for another fight.

Turn 2 Illuminator into turn 3 homestead, audacity, combat research can give you a 7/5 dbl strike, trample, draw 2 if connect. Pretty funny if the other player plans to block at all!

Ultimatefire fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 12, 2023

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I've been meaning to see if Illuminator Voltron works again now that Invoke Despair has gone...

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Saw a prof video today going over possibly Modern viable LotR cards. He mentioned a Rosie Cotton combo with Scurry Oak, and synergy with Heliod Walker which also sounded fun.

Unfortunately I'm 90 bucks 18/8 WCs short of an older normal Scurry Oak list to mess with it myself now, but wouldn't mind building towards it during LotR, would like some better nonStandard decks to toy with. Looking forward to some Rosie Cotton decks.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

I've been meaning to see if Illuminator Voltron works again now that Invoke Despair has gone...

Probably not, all the decks that were running invoke despair are mostly still running sheoldred's edict.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I just threw together a historic brawl deck last night to try it out and now I'm 8-0 with an azorius pile thats just stuff ive accumulated from occasional drafting over the years. Current commander is Dovin, Hand of Control but that's mostly because I don't have any wildcards to buy something fancier and he's decent at wasting my opponents time.

All of my wins so far have been either snap concedes when I counter something on turn 2-3, or long drawn-out grindfests where I repeatedly reset the board and they give up. It's so much fun having all the fun.

I want to start working towards some upgrades, but is it true that matchmaking is mostly based on perceived deck quality? If that's true then maybe I shouldn't.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Fajita Queen posted:

I want to start working towards some upgrades, but is it true that matchmaking is mostly based on perceived deck quality? If that's true then maybe I shouldn't.

Nah, hbrawl matchmaking is mostly based on Commander choice. All Dovin decks go into the same queue no matter which other cards you run.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Khanstant posted:

Saw a prof video today going over possibly Modern viable LotR cards. He mentioned a Rosie Cotton combo with Scurry Oak, and synergy with Heliod Walker which also sounded fun.

Unfortunately I'm 90 bucks 18/8 WCs short of an older normal Scurry Oak list to mess with it myself now, but wouldn't mind building towards it during LotR, would like some better nonStandard decks to toy with. Looking forward to some Rosie Cotton decks.

Aside from Rosie what are the Modern viable cards? I guess white Remand and blue Cut Down (counterspell), but is there anything else?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

VictualSquid posted:

Nah, hbrawl matchmaking is mostly based on Commander choice. All Dovin decks go into the same queue no matter which other cards you run.

Huh, that seems extremely bad design. Oh well, I'm having fun with it.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

there is a huge, huge difference between always having Ragavan on turn 1 and getting to recast him every time he dies for a slight markup and potentially drawing that loving monkey at some point from you 100 card deck and if he dies that's it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

Aside from Rosie what are the Modern viable cards? I guess white Remand and blue Cut Down (counterspell), but is there anything else?

Yeah those and white tree and the mana hobbit that lets legendary spells be uncounterable.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Khanstant posted:

Yeah those and white tree and the mana hobbit that lets legendary spells be uncounterable.

What deck even wants the new dork? It seems like a good commander card but I don't really see the applicability in current Modern.

If that U counterspell that hits creatures hit all the Elementals I think it could be a pretty neat SB card, but only hitting Solitude and Grief is kind of a bummer.

fadam fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 12, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

fadam posted:

What deck even wants the new dork? It seems like a good commander card but I don't really see the applicability in current Modern.

If that U counterspell that hits creatures hit all the Elementals I think it could be a pretty neat SB card, but only hitting Solitude and Grief is kind of a bummer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo8SM-B2IPs

Golgari Yawgmoth was his prediction, with the Delighted Halfling being able to survive Wrenn and Six pings.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Khanstant posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo8SM-B2IPs

Golgari Yawgmoth was his prediction, with the Delighted Halfling being able to survive Wrenn and Six pings.

Fair enough, that might be worth testing.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Fajita Queen posted:

I just threw together a historic brawl deck last night to try it out and now I'm 8-0 with an azorius pile thats just stuff ive accumulated from occasional drafting over the years. Current commander is Dovin, Hand of Control but that's mostly because I don't have any wildcards to buy something fancier and he's decent at wasting my opponents time.

All of my wins so far have been either snap concedes when I counter something on turn 2-3, or long drawn-out grindfests where I repeatedly reset the board and they give up. It's so much fun having all the fun.

Finally started historic brawl and it’s a ton of fun, found the quickest way to get a snap concede is to somehow mind control the enemy commander.

I don’t know the meta but are historic brawl goblins viable? Browsing options look like they could do damage but odd I haven’t seen anyone running that.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Schedule is out for the next few months. https://magic.wizards.com/en/mtgarena/events

No New Capenna draft to be seen T_T. Really wish they up'd the frequency of the premier/quick drafts for sets broadly speaking, but particularly for those in Standard. It costs a penny to play a lot of, but at least you get some fun drafts in that way. Throne of Eldraine sometime in August will be fun at least.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
The schedule doesn't gave the Kamigawa Neon Dynasty premier draft mentioned in the announcements for late July, so I'm not sure if older set premier events are in it at all.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
With reddit being dark, any good advice for playing on the cheap? I haven't played arena since launch and not very much even then, and I generally enjoy playing with janky themed casual decks more than competitive stuff. I'm not 100% into draft either, mostly because I'm hot garbage at it.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
jump in is a good way to get started with a bunch of different themed packs of cards, sometimes you will end up screwed by two pairs that dont work together or a junk pack but even then the only reward you are missing is an extra rare you could get from winning a game with it. its how i got started before i really got into draft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

quite stretched out posted:

jump in is a good way to get started with a bunch of different themed packs of cards, sometimes you will end up screwed by two pairs that dont work together or a junk pack but even then the only reward you are missing is an extra rare you could get from winning a game with it. its how i got started before i really got into draft

jump in doesn't reward rares automatically anymore, it's a regular uncommon icr that could upgrade to rare or mythic. Of course, you still get to keep the two rares you get from the decks you choose.