Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sunk Dunk posted:

i never go outside my thread bookmarks so can we just post about it here instead

I was looking but didn't look at the pinned thread at the top

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Ferrari 🥺

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Rhopunzel posted:

he sounds like the very specific brand of vicious, spiteful, entitled british oval office that i can't stand. the kind who are both sore losers and sore winners at the same time, the worst kind. they have no self reflection. whenever i have to deal with british people at my job i can can usually tell within a few minutes of meeting them if they're this type of person, because they have a very specific way of talking to the point it almost triggers me

I didn't realise you work with Christian Horner.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

tony quidtana posted:

Ferrari 🥺

I wonder if you played Alex Brundle's commentary to Martin Brundle his turbo gladiator dementia would have him convinced it was a recording of his. :thunk:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Isle of Man TT still going on if anyone here is two wheel bicurious (tri curious if you watch the sidecars)

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Russian Bear posted:

Isle of Man TT still going on if anyone here is two wheel bicurious (tri curious if you watch the sidecars)

Its actually too much of a blood sport for me to enjoy

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Ferrari put out a hit on the 7

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I watched that Isle of Man TT documentary the other day.

https://youtu.be/ihH5uDUaqRE

Wasn’t super awesome how they left you hanging for a few minutes after a bad crash whether one of the main protagonists was dead or not.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
max's race engineer and horner sound exactly the same to me. i never realized it was 2 different people talking to him after a race

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I found it!

Didn't dare try it on as I am no longer a size "L". You're welcome.

Congrats on losing weight!

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

Sunk Dunk posted:

max's race engineer and horner sound exactly the same to me. i never realized it was 2 different people talking to him after a race
The distinction only becomes clear if you're not only from the same country as the two of them, but also from a similar region. Horner has a much more posh accent, and a slightly higher pitch.

It's got to be a nightmare for folks from other countries to try and keep up though. It took me a long time to realise that Andrea Stella wasn't Charles' engineer.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Residency Evil posted:

Congrats on losing weight!

…or gaining it?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Mokotow posted:

…or gaining it?

:thejoke:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I love this part of Le Mans where the cameras are 90% of people asleep. It feels like every F1 race.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

smackfu posted:

I watched that Isle of Man TT documentary the other day.

https://youtu.be/ihH5uDUaqRE

Wasn’t super awesome how they left you hanging for a few minutes after a bad crash whether one of the main protagonists was dead or not.

I haven’t watched the senior TT yet so I’m not going to any googling, but there were not on-camera crashes this year that I saw, if the risk of seeing someone die is putting off anyone from watching.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
that reminds me i was wondering with all of the access to onboards now in racing, if there was a fatal accident, is there any delay? can they cut the feed?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

For F1 they definitely have changed the way they show people running into walls and cut away until the person is shown to be okay (why this is any amount better and not just as if not more gross is beyond me but thats a whole other topic) which would lead me to believe there is some delay in place but to be perfectly honest things would have to be going catastrophically wrong for a death to happen in F1 that you couldn't cut away from now.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Sunk Dunk posted:

that reminds me i was wondering with all of the access to onboards now in racing, if there was a fatal accident, is there any delay? can they cut the feed?

F1 in-car feeds don’t tend to be super resilient to accidents. Guessing they have to use proper antennas due to the size of the tracks. Like the camera during the Zhou accident at Silverstone immediately fuzzed out when the car turned over.

Contrast to the one accident at the Indy 500 where the car was on its roof and they still had a feed showing sparks flying.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Spoiler for the DTS watching goon I guess:

We did get to watch grosjean explode in real time

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Charles Leclerc posted:

I didn't realise you work with Christian Horner.

gaslights me about my own input, takes credit for my ideas when they work, blames me for them when they don't, calls me "mate" when i'm clearly not nor have any desire to be their friend in any capacity

you may be right

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Sunk Dunk posted:

Anthoine Hubert was killed in a live TV F2 accident a couple of years back. Rather than have a 5 minute delay to work out whether or not an incident is potentially fatal they just don't keep the cameras pointed at a lolling head in a cockpit.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Charles Leclerc posted:

Anthoine Hubert was killed in a live TV F2 accident a couple of years back. Rather than have a 5 minute delay to work out whether or not an incident is potentially fatal they just don't keep the cameras pointed at a lolling head in a cockpit.

The last time I remember this happening was Zhou's crash in Silverstone last year, it was a good 10 minutes or so before they showed him or his car

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

I don't think a lot people expected Grosjean to survive that fireball either.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

refleks posted:

I don't think a lot people expected Grosjean to survive that fireball either.

I 100% thought he died when I saw it live.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

I 100% thought he died when I saw it live.

The way the car slid underneath the top barrier without decapitating him. That AND the fireball after.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
at least the Pit Lane Channel said he was okay about 30 seconds later when they saw him jump out, meanwhile Sky waited about 2 minutes before cutting to him getting in the medical car

then DtS let it hang for what felt like 15 minutes which was mega gross

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Nybble posted:

at least the Pit Lane Channel said he was okay about 30 seconds later when they saw him jump out, meanwhile Sky waited about 2 minutes before cutting to him getting in the medical car

then DtS let it hang for what felt like 15 minutes which was mega gross

lol didn't they do an episode about the massive beef between Lando and Carlos when they were teammates that was totally fabricated shite?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Fans of good teams had better watch the Le Mans podium because Ferrari aren't winning in F1 this year

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Le Mans winner Antonio Giovinazzi.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Expecting quite a bit of this passione to show up for the misc thread for Le Mans winning Ferraris at Monza later this summer :discourse:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

harperdc posted:

Expecting quite a bit of this passione to show up for the misc thread for Le Mans winning Ferraris at Monza later this summer :discourse:

U fukin know it

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Charles Leclerc posted:

lol didn't they do an episode about the massive beef between Lando and Carlos when they were teammates that was totally fabricated shite?

they even went as far as to play a radio clip from another incident lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtWWlMSLLDk

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

they even went as far as to play a radio clip from another incident lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtWWlMSLLDk
They are properly naughty about that.

Lando and Carlos collide: "MEIN GOTT MUSS DAS SEIN"

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
not reading 4500 posts or watching any ‘formula 1’ to say Scuderia MissionWinNow Ferrari is the best and AF corsa needs to run the F1 team also

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

tony quidtana posted:

For F1 they definitely have changed the way they show people running into walls and cut away until the person is shown to be okay (why this is any amount better and not just as if not more gross is beyond me but thats a whole other topic) which would lead me to believe there is some delay in place but to be perfectly honest things would have to be going catastrophically wrong for a death to happen in F1 that you couldn't cut away from now.

lots of sports do it that way now

during March Madness a few years ago a player went to plant his foot and snapped his tibia with the bone coming out of his skin and they replayed it like 100 goddamned times and the entirety of the internet was like please god stop showing this holy gently caress stop

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

during March Madness a few years ago a player went to plant his foot and snapped his tibia with the bone coming out of his skin and they replayed it like 100 goddamned times and the entirety of the internet was like please god stop showing this holy gently caress stop

Yeah that time a few years back when Kimi al dente'd a mechanic's leg was not fun either.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
i finished newey's book. it was a pretty good read. he's a dingus in some aspects, but it's interesting to hear his thought process of his car designs (even though i don't understand the technical parts)

he was divorced twice through it and got married again at the tail end. i wonder if the copies in 10 years will have an update with a new divorce?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

I just find it really hosed up that the current mindset of the average TV viewer is that they're far more upset over having to actually watch a death on TV than the actual death itself.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Think you can think “there should be no deaths in motorsport” at the same time as “you shouldn’t show deaths in motorsport when they do happen.”

Like, they are both upsetting things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

tony quidtana posted:

I just find it really hosed up that the current mindset of the average TV viewer is that they're far more upset over having to actually watch a death on TV than the actual death itself.

what’s weird about that?

I like to eat meat, I also like to be firmly abstracted away from the living animal and the neat package at the grocery store.