Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

At least the Omega looks cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
BEX question: Is it the same as BTA/RT in that you only have career mode and the campaign is flashpoints, or can you play the campaign normally with it?

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

you can play the campaign with BEX, i recently did so.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

bta: I got a 4-salvage nightstar from a 2-skull assassination against comstar, whoa

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Its probably the one with built in C3, so not the ideal for me. That said, I stuck a gauss cannon in mine and one or two hyper assualt gausses, I can't remember.

Either way, once it had lumbered into position it was an unmovable block of firepower and armor.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Carcer posted:

Its probably the one with built in C3, so not the ideal for me. That said, I stuck a gauss cannon in mine and one or two hyper assualt gausses, I can't remember.

Either way, once it had lumbered into position it was an unmovable block of firepower and armor.

It does have built in c3 so it’s not ideal but at the time i got it, it was 40t heavier than anything else i had.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

biosterous posted:

you can play the campaign with BEX, i recently did so.

Thanks. I've kicked it off and just beat the hardest campaign mission, Weldry.

I forgot how boring 3025 mechs are. "You have 4 weapons to choose from, enjoy!"

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

drat, this game is good.

I had a few false starts and felt it was pretty boring, but that was just that the tutorial island pre-Argo missions were so trivial that I felt the entire game could be mediocre-clicked through. Now that I've given it a fair shot I have to say it is pretty drat good.

i am still not happy about thickenturion though

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
I started a new campaign to get a few achievements (Namely the 8 salvage parts for 1 mech 1), and I just completed an attack/defend base mission at 2.5 skulls. At one point I was defending a pirate base with a Centurion and Shadow Hawk vs 12 Capellan mechs, Vindicators, a Raven, Ostroc, while my Blackjack and Vindicator plinked away at the enemy buildings one at a time. Saving grace was we were on a desert planet so the Capellan mechs after one volley had to sit and wait two turns to get their heat down. My Centurion held the line absorbing all the enemy's attention while Shadow Hawk ran around punching the light mechs and 1HKO'ing them. By the time my Centurion went down (With my company commander at the helm, so he lived, but is out of commission for 157 days), there were five Capellan mechs left. Lots of jump jetting later, I finally whittled the opposition down to just the Ostol, and my Shadow Hawk tore into it with a vengeance, pummeling it to scrap.

All four mechs are out of commission for 50+ days a piece, since I still only have the Leopard repair bays. Phew.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

i bought this game a couple weeks ago and finally got back into it tonight...

so i'm just starting out... is there a guide to what mods/tweaks you should have for a better experience in here? i looked at the OP and first couple posts and tried adding in the "Remove pause tweak" but all of them were already at 0 anyways except one of them.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Amechwarrior posted:

Here's my list of what I usually play with, minus various debugging/mod creation tools. Feel free to add on whatever extra mech/weapons mods to these are they should be pretty lean when it come mod conflicts.

"BattletechPerformanceFix",
"BetterHeadlights",
"cFixes",
"Colorful Combatants",
"CrystalClear",
"CT Ammo Mover",
"Flashpoint Spawn Adjustments",
"Flashpoint_Stock_Photos",
"Flashpoint_The_Raid",
"Friendly fire",
"Little Ballistics tweeX",
"MechResizer",
"ModTek",
"QuickCam",
"ScorchedEarth",
"TurretlessVehicleHits",
"Better AI",

For Mech resizer these are my settings. It's closer to 1:1 TT/lore scale without being so small you lose units in the trees.

"Settings": {
"defaultMechSizeMultiplier": 0.9,
"defaultVehicleSizeMultiplier": 0.9,
"defaultTurretSizeMultiplier": 1,
"defaultProjectileSizeMultiplier": 1,
"mechSizePrefabMultipliers": {
"atlas": {"x": 0.95, "y": 0.95, "z": 0.95},
"awesome": {"x": 0.95, "y": 0.95, "z": 0.95},
"centurion": {"x": 0.8, "y": 0.9, "z": 0.9},
"commando": {"x": 1.0, "y": 1.0, "z": 1.0},
"grasshopper": {"x": 0.85, "y": 0.85, "z": 0.85},
"locust": {"x": 1.0, "y": 1.0, "z": 1.0},
"urbanmech": {"x": 0.95, "y": 0.95, "z": 0.95}
},

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

McGavin posted:

For QoL mods, I use the following:

AA.BT.RealHitChance: Battletech does weird stuff to the actual chance to hit numbers. This undoes that.

BattletechPerformanceFix: Fixes some of the things that slow down the game.

BTMLColorLOSMod: Changes the color of the targeting lines to clearly show if you have a direct line of sight to your target.

cFixes: Various bugfixes.

Flashpoint-Spawn-Adjustments: Fixes the spawn requirements for some Flashpoints.

MechSpin: Lets you spin your mechs in the hanger.

MeleeMover: Lets you choose where you stand when you use melee like the AI does.

ModTek: The mod that manages all the other mods.

NavigationComputer: Gives you more information on the navigation map.

PilotHealthPopup: Lets you know the health of enemy pilots.

QuickCam: Makes the camera faster.

SkipIntro: Either skips the campaign intro or the game intro, I forget which.

SkipTravelCutscenes: Skips some of the travel animations, which get old real fast.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

i hosed something up while tweaking things and now it won't load missions :negative:

unlike previous times when i hosed up the json syntax or something, i do all the argo + mech bay + navigation stuff, but once i launch a mission i'm stuck looking at the leopard forever

i undid my changes (which was just forcing some mech parts to appear in the black market, shouldn't have affected anything in battles) and deleted .modtek so it would rebuild it, no dice.

anyone have an idea where i should start poking?

e: managed to get it working! found the error log (C:\Users\[biosterous]\AppData\LocalLow\Harebrained Schemes\BATTLETECH), searched for errors and fixed stuff. still didn't work. on a hunch, deleted .modtek again and used the Rebuild All feature in the event editor to make sure the database was clean. it worked, i can play again, hooray!

biosterous fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 19, 2023

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
Question for folks who might be familiar with both Battletech and Mechwarrior:

For some reason, I can't get the installer for BTA or Roguetech to work on my machine, the installer downloads and loads just fine, but it just flat out refuses to connect to the network to download the actual mod files for whatever reason.

I've given up on them, but would still like to get my fix, so I was thinking about buying MW 5 Mercenaries, but my understanding is that it's not worth it without the mods.

Do you folks know if the mod framework for MW 5 is like the CAB installer for Battletech?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

For some reason, I can't get the installer for BTA or Roguetech to work on my machine, the installer downloads and loads just fine, but it just flat out refuses to connect to the network to download the actual mod files for whatever reason.

There's a 17GB pre-cache file at the bottom of https://www.bta3062.com/index.php/Installation_Guide if you just need to download the mod files manually.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

There's a 17GB pre-cache file at the bottom of https://www.bta3062.com/index.php/Installation_Guide if you just need to download the mod files manually.

Thanks I tried that but also no dice re: BTA. Wouldn't update.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

I've given up on them, but would still like to get my fix, so I was thinking about buying MW 5 Mercenaries, but my understanding is that it's not worth it without the mods.

Do you folks know if the mod framework for MW 5 is like the CAB installer for Battletech?

It's not really an installer, you unzip the mod into a folder and then enable/disable them in the game.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
All the stuff it tries to grab is from GitHub, is that blocked on your network for some reason?

https://github.com/BattletechModders/RogueTech

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

Ensign Expendable posted:

It's not really an installer, you unzip the mod into a folder and then enable/disable them in the game.

Awesome, thank you!

Azhais posted:

All the stuff it tries to grab is from GitHub, is that blocked on your network for some reason?

https://github.com/BattletechModders/RogueTech

I'd say yea but I ended up trying it on 3 entirely different networks so its something with my machine I can't figure out! Thanks tho!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Okay, I have completed the campaign and it was fun!

Anyways, before jumping to the career mode, can someone give me the general vibe of each of the major overhaul mods? As I understand there is Battletech Advanced, Roguetech and Battletech Extended and maybe more? What are the differences?

For what's worth, my favourite mech games are Mechwarrior 3, Mechcommander Gold and Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries, in that order.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ZearothK posted:

Okay, I have completed the campaign and it was fun!

Anyways, before jumping to the career mode, can someone give me the general vibe of each of the major overhaul mods? As I understand there is Battletech Advanced, Roguetech and Battletech Extended and maybe more? What are the differences?

For what's worth, my favourite mech games are Mechwarrior 3, Mechcommander Gold and Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries, in that order.

In order of More Like unmodded to KITCHEN SINK, they're BEX, BTA, RT. I played RT once years ago and bounced off off it, and have been playing BTA recently.

E: i know bta has full modeling for almost every unit ( i think there are some proxies for aerotechs and battlearmors are proxied as tiny mechs) , And there is author-added factions and tech but it’s relatively balanced and almost entirely avoidable.

I believe all 3 packs rework Mech quirks in some way so that marauders are no longer complete death machines. Speaking for bta, every mech has a quirk and an unlockable set of bonuses for pilot familiarity

Captain Foo fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jun 28, 2023

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ZearothK posted:

Extended is the "less fundamental changes" one. It adds a lot of stuff and makes plenty of changes, but keeps combat mechanics fairly similar to the base game.

Advanced and Roguetech both make major changes to combat mechanics to be more like the original TT game, Advanced being just "more like" and Roguetech trying to be as close as the game can get. But to me Advanced and Roguetech are more alike in comparison to Extended.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
IMO if you just finished vanilla and were looking for something new, I'd go BTA. BEX feels very vanilla at the start, and RT and just pure craziness where you'll be fighting Primus Optimus and his army of car/mech hybrids.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I'd be more inclined to try RT if it weren't so legendarily CPU-murdering and my laptop already struggles to play BTA.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

How do people run assault mechs in BTA? I wanted to try some out but I find them weirdly fragile since with low evasion and their size they just eat every shot that comes at them. Is it just running pilots with shielded stance to let them tank for a couple of turns with massive damage resistance?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ro5s posted:

How do people run assault mechs in BTA? I wanted to try some out but I find them weirdly fragile since with low evasion and their size they just eat every shot that comes at them. Is it just running pilots with shielded stance to let them tank for a couple of turns with massive damage resistance?

That isn’t bad; sure movement and a good gyro can help. Also, building them as snipers instead of brawlers is also good because they’re slow.

In general i find assaults in BTA not often worth it. High tonnage if you can get it earlier is good, but usually I prefer 55-75 tonners and fire support vees

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
That is one place RT can be better just due to all the gimmick options. Like my Mackie with 19 srms

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Captain Foo posted:

That isn’t bad; sure movement and a good gyro can help. Also, building them as snipers instead of brawlers is also good because they’re slow.

In general i find assaults in BTA not often worth it. High tonnage if you can get it earlier is good, but usually I prefer 55-75 tonners and fire support vees

What they said. 75t clan mechs can regularly get 6-7 evasion pips and hit like a truck. Additionally, due to the apparent rarity of Endo Steel on assault mechs, you get about as much usable tonnage.

I have a Timber Wolf dubbed the Mad Kitten with 9 SRM6S. Front side or rear, nothing survives long

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Having assault mechs as snipers is good. If you wanna go short range, you can get like 6-7 EVA on some of them with a huge engine (clan XL) and a brawling loadout. One thing I've found is that low-EVA assault mechs can utilize cover but will often be focused by enemy LRMs, and since a lot of stock builds have an LRM5/10 "as an afterthought" this can result in a whole heap of chip damage, so having a dedicated AMS boat (I have a Goliath with 6 AMS that is the MVP in this regard) helps a lot.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ro5s posted:

They can usually absorb a decent bit of damage but yes you need to stop the enemy focusing them down.

Their value is being able to carry heavy weapons. Light mechs are very survivable if you keep them moving but they generally run quite hot and are limited to things like m lasers. Heavier mechs can carry missiles, ballistic weapons, and long range heavy energy weapons, keeping them at range and rotating your armour is a good idea as well as building them for extreme range while your lighter mechs spot for them.

Also yes as noted you can make them quite mobile but you lose a lot of their tonnage to do it. But I find improved jump jets and a big engine can get heavy mechs bouncing around pretty far, and their innate mass makes them quite good in melee.

Pilot skills matter too, you want to stack stuff that gives you damage reduction and install an ECM package, and rely on your range advantage to keep them from being shot at effectively.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 28, 2023

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Also, sometimes RNGesus works in your favor and it spawns your Dire Wolf with an assload of Clan ER L Lasers on the top of a mountain with perfect line of sight on the entire enemy force, and it turns mechs into dust even more efficiently than the four Long Toms.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

ro5s posted:

I like missile boats. Have a fast spotter, C3 and about 80 LRMs. Knock down the enemy and have your mediums pick them about with aimed fire.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Captain Foo posted:

That's exactly the weight range I've been sitting in so far and wanted to try branching out :v: I do have a charger I like right now that can just walk huge distances in and slap people though it's not well armed otherwise. I'll try building some snipers, I basically like running lots of fast brawlers so supporting them with some slow mechs should work. I've got an atlas and an ironclad, so I should be able to make something decent out of those whenever they finally plod into position.

C3's one of those thing I've always looked at but like to have ECM's around that'd interfere with them, though I haven't salvage many on my current campaign so this might be another good time to experiment.

TY all for the advice.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ro5s posted:

That's exactly the weight range I've been sitting in so far and wanted to try branching out :v: I do have a charger I like right now that can just walk huge distances in and slap people though it's not well armed otherwise. I'll try building some snipers, I basically like running lots of fast brawlers so supporting them with some slow mechs should work. I've got an atlas and an ironclad, so I should be able to make something decent out of those whenever they finally plod into position.

C3's one of those thing I've always looked at but like to have ECM's around that'd interfere with them, though I haven't salvage many on my current campaign so this might be another good time to experiment.

TY all for the advice.

spend some time beating the piss out of wobbies and take their c3i

e: to clarify. i don't really gently caress around with c3m/s configurations because it's too finicky and i'd much rather have ECM; c3i doesn't make you trade

Captain Foo fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jun 28, 2023

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I either build for fast TSM melee brawlers ala Berserker-C3, potentially even with hardened armor, or slow super heavy sniper builds on Assaults. There's just not really good in between for them. Anything that wants to play midrange basically has to be on a heavy so that it can move decently enough.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Gwaihir posted:

I either build for fast TSM melee brawlers ala Berserker-C3, potentially even with hardened armor, or slow super heavy sniper builds on Assaults. There's just not really good in between for them. Anything that wants to play midrange basically has to be on a heavy so that it can move decently enough.

I was using a highlander with a gauss/cerppc/tbolt combo as a sniper for a while, that was pretty good but i did just drop it in favor of more heavy cavalry

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

ro5s posted:

Option one: Artillery. Either the big guns, the big missiles, or the LRMs.
Option two: Direct fire support. Boat big guns.
Option three: Gimmicks. Run a command console Mech with a dozen Laser AMS and turtle everyone around him. Or actually buy a Great Turtle and hide behind him.

The nice thing about BTA is it makes the inevitable end stage of most single-player BT games, the "100 tonners in every slot" unit, far less capable than a balanced force.

As for how to make them less fragile:

1. AMS is your friend. Clan AMS is better. Laser AMS is best.
2. Overlapping Laser AMS is bestest. Multiples of overlapping Laser AMS is bestessess.
3. ECM stuff.
4. Run a bullet magnet. They shouldn't be shooting at your assaults. They should be shooting at your 10 evasion jitterbug of a Mech that you ran right up beside him.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

GD_American posted:

Option one: Artillery. Either the big guns, the big missiles, or the LRMs.
Option two: Direct fire support. Boat big guns.
Option three: Gimmicks. Run a command console Mech with a dozen Laser AMS and turtle everyone around him. Or actually buy a Great Turtle and hide behind him.

The nice thing about BTA is it makes the inevitable end stage of most single-player BT games, the "100 tonners in every slot" unit, far less capable than a balanced force.

As for how to make them less fragile:

1. AMS is your friend. Clan AMS is better. Laser AMS is best.
2. Overlapping Laser AMS is bestest. Multiples of overlapping Laser AMS is bestessess.
3. ECM stuff.
4. Run a bullet magnet. They shouldn't be shooting at your assaults. They should be shooting at your 10 evasion jitterbug of a Mech that you ran right up beside him.

Does Laser AMS actually outperform clan AMS?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Captain Foo posted:

Does Laser AMS actually outperform clan AMS?

In stats no, but in game yes. No ammunition, which means you're using it all game long as well as no ammo explosions. You can also turn it into a small pulse laser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

GD_American posted:

In stats no, but in game yes. No ammunition, which means you're using it all game long as well as no ammo explosions. You can also turn it into a small pulse laser.

I rarely run out of ams ammo and I’m often running ammo weapons anyway, but it is nice on energy boats, i suppose

Laser ams is also relatively hard to find? It does look cool as gently caress though