Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Vox Nihili posted:

There isn't really an end date where the apocalypse happens all at once. poo poo will just continue to get progressively worse and a lot of people will continue to pretend nothing is happening even when it's at a point that we today would imagine is unbearably awful. People without money will suffer worse than everyone else, as they always do, especially the elderly and vulnerable.

I'm not so sure. Chaotic systems can break down suddenly and unpredictably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

im a chemist, no way I make it past 80 without getting some weirdly specific cancer

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Hubbert posted:

little did we know that the "c" in c-spam stood for "collapse" this entire time :twisted:

I think we all knew

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Mustached Demon posted:

im a chemist, no way I make it past 80 without getting some weirdly specific cancer

With all the microplastics in our blood it’s inevitable.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

FlapYoJacks posted:

There are ice core samplings that show a few years where temperatures jump several C in just a few years. With Siberia and Greenland melting and several trillion tons of methane being dumped into the air at once when it happens, we may see a few REALLY bad years rather quickly.

It's certainly possible, although I doubt that sort of event plays out how Hollywood would portray it. I certainly wouldn't plan your life or the lives of your loved ones around the idea that society will just come to a screeching halt one day.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Vox Nihili posted:

It's certainly possible, although I doubt that sort of event plays out how Hollywood would portray it. I certainly wouldn't plan your life or the lives of your loved ones around the idea that society will just come to a screeching halt one day.

Speaking as someone who actually works in emergency management and whose job is to ensure that we are prepared for the sort of crises that are coming, you should rethink this stance. There is very little resiliency built into any modern system compared to what we need, even the most critical ones. They're already overstrained from underinvestment and institutional neglect in most areas. Have a plan to go without running water for a year plus, at minimum. I do a lot of work with water utilities and poo poo is pretty dire.

Kesper North has issued a correction as of 06:11 on Jun 11, 2023

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

fits my needs posted:

lmao is the strategy really to say that its just a political bill and that the workers shouldnt worry about it? lol

got any better ideas???

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

how does one "plan" to go without running water for a year or more? like do i need to have some well-digging equipment in the garage next to the power drill?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

got to get one of those Y-shaped sticks from looney tunes

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Shear Modulus posted:

how does one "plan" to go without running water for a year or more? like do i need to have some well-digging equipment in the garage next to the power drill?

squirrel away some gold doubloons and use them to get yourself to a functional country

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
When the water wars come, I'm going to be shot and killed for my solar-powered well.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Shear Modulus posted:

you simply steal it from someone

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Homeless Friend posted:

got any better ideas???

arrest them so they cant leave

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

in the US we already have armed gangs assaulting water supplies lol

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Shear Modulus posted:

costco sells coke zero in 35 packs, time to start stocking up!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Shear Modulus posted:

That depends on you means and your local conditions, but the basic CDC recommendation is plan for 1 gallon per person per day for drinking, bathing and cleaning. So a total of 360 gallons for one person for a year. For the majority of people it's not possible to store more than a few months due to limitations on living space and safe storage methodology, which speaks to the wider point of the risk of systemic collapse, because what happens when nobody's got water left and it'll take another year to fix all the snapped water mains after (local example) the big earthquake? There are ways to work around this - your plan might include mutual aid with your neighbors - but more people means needing to store more water total, so that has to be factored into the plan. Other problem is you can't store it forever, you have to be cycling the supply out. CDC, again, recommends a maximum dwell time of 6 months on stored water - you want to either dump it or use it at that point. Probably less if the location it's stored in exceeds 70degF on a regular basis.

Local agencies and FEMA will be trying to solve the problem with tanker trucks and distribution points, but they can only handle so many simultaneous emergencies. The real issue we face is that we're getting to the point where there's too many simultaneous emergencies for the level of funding, and of course chuds freak out whenever somebody breathes the word FEMA, so that ain't happening. The response will also depend heavily on the amount of give-a-poo poo on the part of federal elected leaders. Think back to the conditions people faced during Katrina and Puerto Rico and how lackluster the federal response was to those emergencies, then have events of similar scale happening pretty much everywhere simultaneously, and you've got a picture of how bad it's likely to be in the 2040s.

Kesper North has issued a correction as of 07:01 on Jun 11, 2023

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

If that level of systemic collapse happens, I'm not going to survive it, so there's not much point in planning for it. I don't think most of us have the means to store 360 gallons of water.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It's simple, if "The Collapse" [tm] happens and you live in a sufficiently large densely populated city you either die, or you kill enough other people in your large densely populated city that whatever resources remain can sustain whatever population that remains. If you're in a rural area what might be self sustainable you now have to *defend (spelling error) and protect it from all the rats streaming out of the city.

It's all a numbers game really.

What do you do if you don't have say enough water? Die or take someone elses. If you can't find or take someone elses, you also die. They'll all be doing the same to you too.

I would love to do all sorts of doomsday planning but without access to modern medicines it's all a moot point for me, so I just don't worry about it.

edit - spelling

DancingShade has issued a correction as of 07:01 on Jun 11, 2023

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

i think i'll just die instead of doing any of that

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
i too am hosed if this happens. i would very much like to cancel this apocalypse but we keep doing all the wrong things, as a species

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Zokari posted:

i think i'll just die instead of doing any of that

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE
Drought > famine > war > lol > lmao

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Yeah it’s really easy to believe things will get progressively worse but it’s going to go to poo poo rather quickly in a couple years time. A few years of bad crop yields, increasingly violent storms loving our supply chains, more medicine shortages, and society break down real quick.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

shrike82 posted:

goons are too invested in a violent climate apocalypse when the more probable event is you hit your 60s and you're going to be homeless and working retail/services till you're dead

My dads 70+ now SS let him go down to part time retail. Their housing costs are about 350 a month though, atleast the tiny trailer park ain’t got bought.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
It's like none of you have even heard of Elon Musk and Tesla. it'll be fine. I loving love science

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

again, the best thing you can learn to do right now is grow food, and make friends with other people who grow different kinds of food

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

if you don't know what build to go for I suggest mushrooms. cool as poo poo and they do really good dps. you don't even need light so you can keep your squalid goon cave dark and horrifying

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
i was thinking of xaris reddit shorting because the reddit third party apps are being owned by new api pricing (monetizing public post ftw) and i was lolling at the tearful shut down post

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Xaris posted:

there’s an unfortunate strain of capital pilled folks like Mark Blyth that know what their bread is buttered with and stop short of this because the c-word will get them blacklisted and thrown in the dumpster and ignored by their fellow liberal class if they even dare mention it

Graeber? Piketty?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Maximo Roboto posted:

Graeber? Piketty?

graebers dead and piketty is also the same strain of mark blyth. he's like an MMT lib, like blyth. that is the fundamental framework of private property is good but maybe we should redistribute some wealth money with taxes

which yes but also lol they can't take the plunge in realizing it's private property, which is capitalism, that's the problem and you aint gunna just progressively tax the problems away.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
We just had our first brush with the veterinary system and gently caress anything even related to medical care. Our male cat has a UTI; 36 hour watch/flush and could cost just under $5,000, wtttffff :( dude.

I haven't felt as powerless as I did in the moment of going from "let's fix our sick cat" to "fixing your cat will start at 3 grand and that's if everything goes perfectly".

Sigh.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Taima posted:

We just had our first brush with the veterinary system and gently caress anything even related to medical care. Our male cat has a UTI; 36 hour watch/flush and could cost just under $5,000, wtttffff :( dude.

I haven't felt as powerless as I did in the moment of going from "let's fix our sick cat" to "fixing your cat will start at 3 grand and that's if everything goes perfectly".

Sigh.

yup. i've dropped high end of four figures on my dog for various things over the years like just treating a big allergic reaction or teeth removal.

count yourself lucky if this is your first time

there's a reason most people just end up ignoring pet health or abandoning them if htey get too sick

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Taima posted:

Sigh.

emergency vet? ur def gonna get owned.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Taima posted:

Sigh.

Recently at work someone's dog needed vet care and they ended up having to spend $4,000.

all US healthcare is a hostage situation

Xaris posted:

yup. i've dropped high end of four figures on my dog for various things over the years like just treating a big allergic reaction or teeth removal.

count yourself lucky if this is your first time

there's a reason most people just end up ignoring pet health or abandoning them if htey get too sick

I just quit having pets over this kind of thing. Hitting that area where it's a vague problem causing my dog pain that no vet could identify with expensive dog MRIs and he just had to limp around until he died of old age after years of discomfort while I got hit with enough bills to buy a car is just too depressing to repeat.

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 09:54 on Jun 11, 2023

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Shear Modulus posted:

You accept that you'll die or do a prepper LARP

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
my local vet sold themselves off to some mega pet care collective claled Thrive Pet Care and now it sucks rear end, it took like literally about 20 emails and at least a dozen or more just to book a loving basic check-up+rabies appointment, and also more expensive now

so i'm in the market of trying to find a new one but sadly they all suck in their own ways

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
My old mans dog fell rear end backwards into 90% coverage insurance via grandfathering and the very 2nd day it went into effect went and did 8k worth of surgery lol. luckiest POS alive. Went on to get another 4k surgery (amputation), then 5k radiation a year later. We'll see what other crap we can pwn the insurance company with. Contrast that to the dogs sister, which had jack poo poo coverage did not get so lucky and got put down 4 years ago due to cancer lol.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Homeless Friend posted:

emergency vet? ur def gonna get owned.

Yep it was insanely serious, immediately, with no warning. We had him at the vet within 20 minutes. We figured it would cost a decent amount, sure. We even knew he had a UTI or suspected it due to his behavior.

What I wasn't prepared for was not just the money (5k in this economy are you loving kidding me?) but if a cat gets a UTI, that's it. They need additional care in various ways for the rest of their life and there is a high chance of recurrence so this could also happen again at any moment, amazing.

He's barely a year old and we rescued him and his sister only 6 months ago.

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Recently at work someone's dog needed vet care and they ended up having to spend $4,000.

all healthcare is a hostage situation

I don't think I fully appreciated that until now honestly, I mean, I knew it; we're regulars in this thread, after all, but the whiplash of going from "oh he'll probably need some antibiotics and to get flushed and stuff" to "your cat is owned forever and this one thing, which could happen again next month, is 5 grand" was wild. It wasn't the situation so much as, the doctor was like "you can either get your cat care or we can basically just flush him and toss him out and it's still a grand".

Something about the callousness of the situation just destroyed me and I broke down in the office which was not pretty and I don't think I've ever sobbed like that... ever? Certainly not in public.

Anyways that's all I'll say about it, this isn't the place, I just wanted to vent about healthcare and don't understand why we built the system this way :( we can afford it but it will mean major compromises and that's if it never happens again.

gently caress capitalism forever. I completely understand now why people go destitute caring for their animals, and I'm glad we don't have kids because that's all that's really allowing us to afford this (and I would probably get some kind of PTSD complex if my kid got sick like this, it's bad enough for the cat).

Homeless Friend posted:

My old mans dog fell rear end backwards into 90% coverage insurance via grandfathering and the very 2nd day it went into effect went and did 8k worth of surgery lol. luckiest POS alive. Went on to get another 4k surgery (amputation), then 5k radiation a year later. We'll see what other crap we can pwn the insurance company with. Contrast that to the dogs sister, which had jack poo poo coverage did not get so lucky and got put down 4 years ago due to cancer lol.

I'm so sorry. I'm so glad he got taken care of. We did discuss getting him on insurance, but I assume it would be impossibly expensive now that he's already had a UTI at the stately old age of 1 year. Would it still be feasible or now that he has pre existing conditions are we just screwed...

Taima has issued a correction as of 10:04 on Jun 11, 2023

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Taima posted:

I'm so sorry. I'm so glad he got taken care of. We did discuss getting him on insurance, but I assume it would be impossibly expensive now that he's already had a UTI at the stately old age of 1 year. Would it still be feasible or now that he has pre existing conditions are we just screwed...

its a good question, i dunno. i do believe they just carve out the prior and say screw you tho if i remember from reading my dogs old policy. with my experience with my old mans weird crappy insurance before it really didn't seem to make sense. since you can just save that money to actually have a fund to use it later. like just budget an emergency fund specifically only for vet use with payments that would go to the insurance company. maybe for wellness type plan if you can really use the poo poo out of it. the actual dogshit insurance he was on, before being transferred into stately rich dog insurance by pure luck, was a total pain in the rear end that's just built to disincentivize you from taking them to the vet (money) thereby causing more money when something does go wrong. being on time with exams/checkups/bloodwork/etc whatever is really is #1 way to head off problems imo. but thats also an investment that cost money. and they're lil bastards that begin self destructing in earnest 10 years onwards anyway.

e: for reference that super insurance he lucked into is like 300-400 a month lol. so for him to live to use it as the insurance company intended, lets say he had those surgeries and crap at 12 years of age onward (hes 14 now): thats 53k paid in already at that point if we say its 350 a month + use it enough to have to pay upfront 250 yearly deductible for every one of those 12 years. now it makes sense for him now because we basically cheated the system by chance (nationwide ended his original policy and had him be grandfathered him into this insane plan no strings attached) and recouped every dime paid for his entire life by hitting the insurance with these huge bills. so we'll keep him on it till he dies but it makes way more sense to budget an insurance plan yourself into a bank account purely for the pet lol

Homeless Friend has issued a correction as of 10:26 on Jun 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
i dunno man, if you live in america, like have you seen the social contract recently?

there's like 20-30% of the country who are psychotic, insanely well armed, and just waiting for permission to start mass killing their enemies. some of them aren't waiting.

maybe climate collapse is the ultimate trigger, maybe something else, but i don't really buy the "things will just gradually get worse and worse" line.

i mean, yes they will of course, but then they'll get much worse very quickly all of a sudden.