Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Eddy-Baby posted:

Hello lovely people!

My partner recently met a homeless person living in our town that she would like to help. Not knowing much about how this sort of thing works I've come here to ask for advice.

The normal course of action would be to help them access benefits, and get on the local housing register with homeless priority status. Unfortunately, that won't work here. It's going to be a really tough case, with most official support blocked. This is because the person is going to have limited access to public funds(no access to most benefits), and difficulty getting on the housing register(most local authorities require proof of a local connection- and entitlement to public funds). If they've come in without a work visa, getting work is also going to be very difficult.

There's likely going to be some sort of street outreach service in your local authority, which will help anyone rough sleeping to a limited degree(temporary accommodation). Long term without access to public funds, it's all going to be about local groups and unofficial channels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/carolvorders/status/1667652036823863296

:toot:

He was the person who employed Kwarteng, and who made a lot of money shorting the pound when Kwarteng tanked the economy.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jun 10, 2023

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

fuctifino posted:

He was the person who employed Kwarteng, and who made a lot of money shorting the pound when Kwarteng tanked the economy.

got any details on this?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

got any details on this?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tory-donor-profit-pound-sterling-b2176258.html

quote:

Conservative party donor Crispin Odey is among those enjoying huge profits from the fall in the pound amid the market turmoil sparked by Kwasi Kwarteng’s mini-Budget.

Electoral Commission records show that the hedge fund manager – who once employed Mr Kwarteng as a consultant – has donated more than Ł350,000 to the Tories.

Odey Asset Management’s European hedge fund is said to be up about 145 per cent after Mr Odey’s firm bet against the pound and government bonds in the gilts market.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

NotJustANumber99 posted:

got any details on this?

https://twitter.com/bmay/status/1666757033410846722

He campaigned for brexit, then bet on the pound crashing and made a fortune. Kwarteng used to work for him. He and Kwarteng
met the day before the budget

https://twitter.com/GeraintDaviesMP/status/1577377716483014656

It's why Kwarteng was laughing so much at the funeral. He was drunk thinking about all the money to be made by shorting the pound https://twitter.com/MarieAnnUK/status/1573981880826871809

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Changing the subject completely, Labour is now the fascist cult of (lack of) personality

https://twitter.com/CathyGreen67/status/1667609733564342272

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Presumably trying to solve the continued response of "who?" when people are asked about keir starmer.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Remembering the Starmer wordcloud that was 90% "BORING KNOB " in big letters with some other stuff in the margins

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Keir Swinson's Labour Party

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
whats crazy about the odey stuff, is that it would normally be my natural instinct to trust completely and think only the best of a man named crispin.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
0dey exploit

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

0dey exploit

:golfclap:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I can't stop laughing over the image Rishi chose to tweet:

https://twitter.com/RishiSunak/status/1667824772791541760

It makes him look even smaller than normal :allears:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

fuctifino posted:

I can't stop laughing over the image Rishi chose to tweet:

https://twitter.com/RishiSunak/status/1667824772791541760

It makes him look even smaller than normal :allears:

Hiding behind Biden.

"Is that the voting population who is bullying you?"

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
CUT THE ECONOMY
STOP WAITING LISTS
GROW THE BOATS

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Kuntsberg has accidentally let good politics on again.

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1667847796467048449?t=51lyreJvQYm35IueE5gpng&s=19

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://twitter.com/SaulStaniforth/status/1667824733134389248?s=20

Labour Party meetings are not the place for political discussion. (Apparently).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

NotJustANumber99 posted:

whats crazy about the odey stuff, is that it would normally be my natural instinct to trust completely and think only the best of a man named crispin.

You may be confusing him with the author of The Naked Civil Servant. But that was Quentin Crisp, not Crispin Quent.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I'm sure he is a sound chap who went to an excellent school and university.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Microplastics posted:

CUT THE ECONOMY
STOP WAITING LISTS
GROW THE BOATS

Stop the small boats by making them bigger

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
GuardianObserver saying one of the quiet parts out loud. Not even a quiet part, one of the parts that should not even be a part.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/jun/11/ecocide-russia-ukraine-war-kakhovka-dam-destroyed

quote:

the difference between Hitler and Stalin: while Nazis had some rules about who they punished (non-Aryans; communists) in Stalin’s terror anyone could be a victim at any moment. Random violence runs through Russian history.

:chloe:

They do know that you can condemn Putin without saying "say what you like about Hitler, at least he kept his killing organized", right? That this isn't a normal avenue of thought that one needs to travel for any reason?

I trust this will be followed up as seriously as when a mayor has lunch with a film-maker who did a Q&A with someone who said some stupid poo poo about Nazism.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
non-Aryans and communists: the only people who could be punished by the nazis, because of The Rules

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Guavanaut posted:

GuardianObserver saying one of the quiet parts out loud. Not even a quiet part, one of the parts that should not even be a part.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/jun/11/ecocide-russia-ukraine-war-kakhovka-dam-destroyed

They do know that you can condemn Putin without saying "say what you like about Hitler, at least he kept his killing organized", right? That this isn't a normal avenue of thought that one needs to travel for any reason?

I trust this will be followed up as seriously as when a mayor has lunch with a film-maker who did a Q&A with someone who said some stupid poo poo about Nazism.

when you ask for a 'Freudian analysis' i submit you know what you're getting

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Apraxin posted:

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1667604567377293313

'former prime minister boris johnson found shot to death inside burning car'
”he is survived by his wife Carrie and an unspecified number of children”

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

If a headline uses the words "Freudian analysis offers an answer", I'm not going to read the article.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Sturgeon has just been arrested.

I'll all happening this week, isn't it.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Her arrest is to do with the Contempt of Court Act 1981 rather than fraud

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Gorn Myson posted:

If a headline uses the words "Freudian analysis offers an answer", I'm not going to read the article.

It's not even a Freudian analysis? The key thrust of his article is that the Russians are simply evil and have been for centuries, carrying out outrageous acts of violence for the sheer hell of it, the death and destruction delighting their black hearts.

(I'm not misrepresenting the article by the way, it's a very, very odd piece, even for the Guardian.)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Guavanaut posted:

Also this point falls apart when you realize that Putin's Russia has far more in common with the Nazi's than it does Communist Russia.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

The Question IRL posted:

Also this point falls apart when you realize that Putin's Russia has far more in common with the Nazi's than it does Communist Russia.

i wouldn’t go that far, the nazis spent a long time dehumanising and eventually murdering their own population, russias a bog standard neoliberal capitalist country with a hard right support base like many others, it wasnt long ago that we were best buddies with putin and it’s billionaires

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jel Shaker posted:

i wouldn’t go that far, the nazis spent a long time dehumanising and eventually murdering their own population, russias a bog standard neoliberal capitalist country with a hard right support base like many others, it wasnt long ago that we were best buddies with putin and it’s billionaires

I mean, murder is for all intents and purposes legal in Russia if you're gay or a woman. To say nothing of all the critics of Putin mysteriously dying. That's more than just a standard modern shithole.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's more like the late 20th century LatAm model of a 'standard neoliberal capitalist country'.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Fascist dictatorship you say.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I think the boost for painting giant Z's at home and abroad be it on military equipment or domestically in Russia to "Support the troops" is pretty facistic.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Letting Gazprom form their own private army is a major step in "market based solutions to human rights"

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Letting Gazprom form their own private army is a major step in "market based solutions to human rights"

From July all the little private armies have to pledge to the actual russian army, this will neuter Wagner Group quite a bit.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I imagine ambushing the regular Russian army and stealing their vehicles as trophies didn't win Wanger Group many friends among the brass.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Tesseraction posted:

I mean, murder is for all intents and purposes legal in Russia if you're gay or a woman. To say nothing of all the critics of Putin mysteriously dying. That's more than just a standard modern shithole.
Uhh, murder of protesters in the US has also been effectively been legalized. In some states, it's been de jure legalized if you do it with your car. It's almost like we're all neoliberal hellholes and we don't differ as much as we like to think!

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Massive summer fudge release! (And a somewhat embarrassing plea)

Howdy fudge fans!

Summer's here, and with it a massively expanded range of sweet, sticky deliciousness from the Fudjit labs! We've got 22 different flavours on the market for your delectation and delight, so don't delay and go grab some summer sugar soon as you can.

On a more serious note, due to greatly increased costs and decreased market takes across the board (People just don't have as much spending money as they used to) I'm in a bit of a bind. Right now after managing pretty well for three years I'm no longer making enough from Fudjit to cover my monthly bills and enjoy such things as 'food' and 'not panicking about where the next penny is coming from'. I can keep going for maybe a few more months if things don't change, but as a small businessman times are hard as all hell. I'm not asking for charity, but I would absolutely love to sell you lovely people as much fudge as I possibly can, if only to ensure said fudge will still be present in the future. As a disabled autistic dude who's only ever been chewed up and spat out by the system when trying to work normal jobs, being able to be my own boss has basically been a lifesaver and the idea of having to pack it all in and go back to working for someone else absolutely terrifies me on a visceral level. Each time I have it's ended up with me ultimately too sick to do anything for periods of years and I really don't want to go down that road again.

There's multiple options I'm exploring to diversify my business a bit; to explore new avenues and methods of trade while remaining true to Fudjit's original core values. But all of these take time to pan out, and as it stands I'm not going to be able to pay my monthly bills at the end of next week after a particularly disastrous event this weekend. The one thing I do have going for me right now is an absolute gently caress-ton of amazing fudge in stock in a huge variety of flavours; some old and some brand new. So please, if you are able to afford to (I know everyone here will be feeling the pinch just as I am), grab yourself a few bars and help a fudge-baron out.

That was not easy on the ego to write, so on a more happy note here's our flavour list at the moment.

Current Flavours

* Original Vanilla
* Unicorn Barf
* Chilli and Lime
* Cookies and Cream
* Irish Cream
* Whisky and Candied Ginger
* Cafe Americano
* Strawberry Milkshake
- Revised recipe! Now even more delicious- tastes like a Nobbly Bobbly ice-lolly
* Rum and Raisin
* Peanut Butter
- Returning from my very first cook back in 2019, shot full of lovely crunchy peanut butter.
* Chocolate Honeycomb
* Chocolate Crisp
* Chai Latte
* Oranges and Lemons
* Caramilk
* Pretzelicious
* Cheesecake
* Maple-pecan
* Chocolate Chip Cookie
* Lemon Meringue Pie
* Vegan Chocolate
* Veganana
- Vegan banana fudge with organic banana chips

All stock is now live and available at https://www.fudjit.co.uk for Ł4 + P&P per 100g bar. And as always you can use the goon code 'Roastbeefisbest' to get 5-for-4 at checkout. Orders are shipped with Royal Mail 1st class, tracked.

And thanks guys. Even if it turns out I can't keep Fudjit going then at least it's been a hell of a ride over the past three and a half years, and I'd never have even got started if it wasn't for this coterie of internet communists.

All the best, and get fudged!