Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

KillHour posted:

eARC can do uncompressed 7.1, Atmos, DTS:X, etc. so that shouldn't be a limitation unless the TV doesn't support eARC. Check the TV settings for an option to change the output format.

Yes, but not ARC. The OP said ARC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Yes, but not ARC. The OP said ARC.

It literally says eARC on the sticker on the front of the receiver. You should not expect someone asking a question like that to know the difference, and the way you said it made it sound like there is no way it could ever work.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

KillHour posted:

It literally says eARC on the sticker on the front of the receiver. You should not expect someone asking a question like that to know the difference, and the way you said it made it sound like there is no way it could ever work.

But the TV may only support ARC. I get what you're saying though and yes I should have included info about eARC just in case.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I'm specifically having a problem with the Denon receiver not receiving 5.1 audio from the TV via ARC, or it's receiving it but outputting Stereo audio.

Any Denon owners (or similar devices) know what setting I should be checking out?

Been all over the Sony TV settings and Google searching, and there's apparently no actual TV setting to switch between stereo or 5.1 on the digital audio out. So it must be the receiver.

The PS5 works flawlessly, this system is incredible, I'm just having a boomer moment with the TV audio.

Edit: if it matters, the TV doesn't have eARC, but the cable is eARC, and the Denon is eARC

smoobles fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 10, 2023

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
edit: nvm, didn't read the OP, sorry

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

smoobles posted:

Edit: if it matters, the TV doesn't have eARC, but the cable is eARC, and the Denon is eARC

It matters. If the TV doesn't have eARC, you can't do eARC. You can do 5.1, but only compressed. And only if the source stream supports it. What app are you using and are you sure both it and the content you're watching supports 5.1?

Edit: If you set the Denon to "pure" it will output whatever audio the TV sends it directly without modification. If it still only plays in stereo, that means you're getting stereo from your TV.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jun 10, 2023

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Some TVs give you the choice to output in stereo or PCM or dolby or whatever, check your tv settings too

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
eARC was supposed to si.olify all that poo poo but it's still a mishmash of "oh the TV is set to bitstream and the receievr is set to 7.2 NeuralDTSxHD, and the PS5 is doing pcm but i'm hetting sound out of only the center and the delay on the PS5 controller speaker is really bad too"

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

KillHour posted:

It matters. If the TV doesn't have eARC, you can't do eARC. You can do 5.1, but only compressed. And only if the source stream supports it. What app are you using and are you sure both it and the content you're watching supports 5.1?

Disney+ and Netflix, and yeah I'm testing it on content labeled 5.1

So, should I swap in an ARC HDMI cable instead of an eARC one?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
What model tv is it

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Sony XBR-85X900F

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
What’s your settings->sound->digital audio out set to

If it’s set to pcm that’s your problem

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

smoobles posted:

Sony XBR-85X900F

Also what surround sound format or option is the receiver set to?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

smoobles posted:

Sony XBR-85X900F

Sup Costco buddy!

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
hey like everyone else i'm looking for a receiver

The kicker being I'm an ausgoon so a lot of models are either wildly overpriced or just not available over here. All I really want is a solid entry level 2.1 setup to probably pair with some (3020i's) (I have the bigger 3030is that are complete overkill for my PC but once I'm in a better space I want to transition these to main main L/R speakers and move the 3020is to another setup or overkill rear surrounds). TV is a older 65" Samsung QLED that only has ARC, not eARC, and due to the layout of the room it's kinda up against the wall, hence bookshelfs for main speakers:

pre:
---------------------------------------------
|   [--------------------------]

ccccccccccccc
|                                         ccccccccccccc
|  cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc
Where c is the couch, an awkward L-sharped thing which means I can't move the TV setup further to the right as it would cut off being able to actually walk through the area, and the thing up the top is the TV + TV shelf. Space to the left of the TV is about 12 inches, so I know I'm going to get some reflections. I don't really have much room for a subwoofer at the moment but I'd like to add one eventually, but it'll have to sit off to the right side, probably underneath some kind of shelf unit where the receiver will probably have to go - there's not enough space in the little nook in the TV shelf for most of the receivers I've seen (it's plenty wide but is only 14cm tall, so it's enough for a couple laid down consoles but not much else).

Current setup is an older pair of edifiers running from optical-out from the Samsung. It sounds fine for the space but you can't control volume in the current setup. Also happy to go with a chifi DAC/AMP combo if someone has one that will take optical in and has a decent remote. I don't mind juggling multiple remotes until I move to a newer eARC solution in the next few years. I really don't want a soundbar as I prefer separate components and these edifiers blow the old Samsung soundbar I had out of the water, and I like to hand down speakers as I upgrade to the kid's rooms.

Any suggestions?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Aaronicon posted:

Any suggestions?

For a good 2.1 solution that easily upgrades to being a secondary system down the road, I think you'd be hard off to find a better compact combo for the money than a Fosi Audio BT20A amplifier paired with a SMSL SU-1 DAC , ordered directly from China for your location. The only catch with this is you'll need to find a subwoofer with speaker wire passthrough or get creative with RCA splitters.

https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/smsl-su-1-akm-ak4493s-chip-xu316-dsd512-pcm768khz-32bit-usb-mqa-audio-decoder

https://fosiaudioshop.com/products/...ac32f4931&_ss=r

It gets you a very high quality DAC, and a great compact class D amp with Bluetooth.

Your other $$-wise choice would just be buying a home theatre receiver used or refurbished from the last 3 years, either from your local buy&sells/refurb dealers/FB market/etc. E: maybe this outfit is good? https://excelhifi.com.au/yamaha-rx-v385-av-receiver-refurbished

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jun 11, 2023

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Aaronicon posted:

a chifi DAC/AMP combo if someone has one that will take optical in

If you want to go that route, take a look at a Loxjie A30 or S.M.S.L SA300. They have a sub out too if you get one later.

I would also recommend you getting it from somewhere with a decent return policy, in case you get a dud.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Dogen posted:

What’s your settings->sound->digital audio out set to

If it’s set to pcm that’s your problem

Auto 1

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Mederlock posted:

Also what surround sound format or option is the receiver set to?

The only TV audio setting I can find on Denon settings is turning ARC on or off. Perhaps another Denon owner can tell me what I'm missing...

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The receiver can't control what the TV sends it. If the receiver is getting stereo PCM, it's either a TV setting or you're out of luck.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

What’re your other options

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Dogen posted:

What’re your other options

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
In my experience, HDMI ARC is screwy with AV receivers. It would constantly try to take over and default to the ARC input when I was using an external device (ie Xbox) connected directly to the AVR. Between it and HDMI CEC and all the other HDMI inputs on the AVR, it's like too many "handshakes" have to happen.

If you still have problems, what I did was just connect the TV's output to the AVR via an optical connection and turned ARC off. Optical, signal capability-wise, is exactly the same as HDMI ARC (not eARC), just two cables between the AVR and TV instead of one. This setup performs much more smoothly for me. The TV can still control the AVR volume and such if HDMI CEC is on.

Though for anything capable of uncompressed 5.1 or 7.1 you should still connect directly to the AVR and not pass it through the TV.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 11, 2023

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Did you try auto 2?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Dogen posted:

Did you try auto 2?

Yeah, still in stereo.

I'll give the optical a try.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I’d be shocked if optical didn’t work

If it doesn’t I’d wonder if whatever your source material is is just 2 channel

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Just to double check because your receiver said "stereo" in the first picture, you're testing everything with the receiver set to "pure" right?

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

smoobles posted:

Denon question: when I use my PS5 it comes through in 5.1 and says "multi" on the display. When I use my TV (ARC) it says "Stereo"

It's a Sony Bravia, and the TV settings say the speakers are set to "Audio System" which should be right. Any idea why it's coming thru in stereo?

What app are you using on the TV when it says "Stereo"?

I'm pretty sure you are playing stereo content on your TV

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jun 12, 2023

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I have a Denon and I'm pretty sure it saying stereo means you have the receiver specifically set to stereo downmix.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I'm pretty sure you are playing stereo content on your TV

I'm watching a variety of stuff on Disney+ and Netflix, all marked 5.1.

All stuff that played in 5.1 on my crappy old Vizio 5.1 system before I built a proper setup w/ the Denon.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

KillHour posted:

I have a Denon and I'm pretty sure it saying stereo means you have the receiver specifically set to stereo downmix.

Interesting! What setting should I be looking at? I am going thru the menus but not seeing that.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

smoobles posted:

Yeah, still in stereo.

I'll give the optical a try.

Check this part of your manual, but TL;DR press the "Pure" button on your remote until it says "auto", then test a surround sound source

https://manuals.denon.com/avrs760h/na/en/GFNFSYlqlymuqz.php#OKNRMLlxcmnoec

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Hmm no luck.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

smoobles posted:

I'm watching a variety of stuff on Disney+ and Netflix, all marked 5.1.

All stuff that played in 5.1 on my crappy old Vizio 5.1 system before I built a proper setup w/ the Denon.

smoobles posted:

Hmm no luck.

Most receivers (including that Denon and probably your old Visio) can take stereo content and upmix it to fake 5.1. The only two possibilities I can think of is either you are receiving 5.1 from your TV and downmixing to stereo (which should not happen if you are in "auto" or "direct" mode, as the receiver should play back the audio exactly as it came from the TV in those modes) or you were always receiving stereo and the fake 5.1 upmixing was making it seem like it wasn't.

You can enable the upmixing by pressing the "movie" button on your remote until the receiver says "Dolby Surround." If that sounds like what you were getting with the Visio, that's probably what it was.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 12, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
maybe a dumb question, but has OP tried changing their TOSlink output settings between PCM/bitstream/etc on the TV? On my 2016 Samsung 4K it’s buried pretty deep in the Advanced Settings, but it was necessary to toggle in order to get proper function thru my optical DAC

Dogen
May 5, 2002

You can see what your input format and output settings are easily if you use their phone app. Also change your aforementioned surround mode.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
I was completely convinced that there is some settings problem on the AVR, so it's not aware of the 5.1 speakers connected to it, until I re-read the OP which says "The PS5 works flawlessly".

:iiam:

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
My desk setup can't exactly fit standard vertical speakers due to me having risers for my monitors that eat up space pretty bad. HOWEVER, I might be able to fit a soundbar in the space pretty easy, and I had managed to do it until the particular one I got turned out to be dogshit. So now I need some kind of recommendation, as I don't wanna spend 100 dollars on something that sounds like it's coming through a can again.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Diabetes Forecast posted:

My desk setup can't exactly fit standard vertical speakers due to me having risers for my monitors that eat up space pretty bad. HOWEVER, I might be able to fit a soundbar in the space pretty easy, and I had managed to do it until the particular one I got turned out to be dogshit. So now I need some kind of recommendation, as I don't wanna spend 100 dollars on something that sounds like it's coming through a can again.

If you're at a desk, you want nearfield speakers that are designed to be close to your face. Luckily, some brands do make ones that are designed to be placed horizontally. How much space do you have?

For instance, these are less than 6" tall (but quite deep):
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/A44HPair--adam-audio-a44h-4-inch-powered-studio-monitor-pair

You probably don't have to spend that much - it's just an example I found quickly from a very well-regarded brand.

Edit: Here's a less expensive option that's 7" tall, but I don't have any experience with the brand. You'll need 2.
https://www.presonus.com/en-US/monitors/studio-monitors/eris-series/2777500106.html

KillHour fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

These are also not cheap, but the design is specifically made for desks.

https://www.kaliaudio.com/in-unf