Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

smackfu posted:

Thoughts on the TV coverage as a first time watcher…

Night shots where half the screen is white glare from the headlights is silly.
They should rotate the timing tower more instead of leaving it on hypercars for minutes at a time.
Cutting to slow motion shots of cars going over the curbs got pretty old. And was there background music to this?
MotorSport+ was worth paying $5 for. Good quality, no ads.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one wondering if they were losing their mind over the extremely quiet Halo/World of Warcraft theme music to those replays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

the long international nightmare of toyota winning by default is finally over

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Yeah I'm definitely paying for + next year, the commercial cutaways on the cable channel were really annoying. Fantastic race, I tuned in around 11 PM (Eastern) hoping to catch half an hour or so, but ended up watching until 3 AM.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I would've liked if Toyota won though :smith:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Which goon was supposed to be at tetre rouge restaurant by the door?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

That's me. I'm up on the wall. Looks like they're routing all the traffic down Mulsanne instead of under the bridge though, so no cool cars coming through right now.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Porsche probably aren't looking to repeat this for next year, and I'm sure Toyota would like to win again. Cadillac definitely wants to do better, and Peugeot has to show they can repeat the challenge they put to Audi back in the day.

On top of that, next year we're getting Alpine, BMW, and Lamborghini (run by Iron Lynx, which means Iron Dames moving to the Hypercar grid), and possibly one or two more manufacturers, depending on how things shake out.

If year 100 of Le Mans was special, and it damned well was - then year 101 has all the makings of topping it.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Finger Prince posted:

That's me. I'm up on the wall. Looks like they're routing all the traffic down Mulsanne instead of under the bridge though, so no cool cars coming through right now.

I’m the idiot at the table with a silly backpack and decathlon folding chair by the video wall, kindly wave👀

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Oh now they're coming.

Trickling, anyway.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Finger Prince posted:

Oh now they're coming.

Trickling, anyway.

Ok we are at opposite ends, I’m by the serving table.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Also remember that the year 100 anniversary was as successful as it was, partly because of successful BoP.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

Ok we are at opposite ends, I’m by the serving table.

I'm wearing yellow pants and a white shirt and sitting with my mate in a pfaff shirt

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Finger Prince posted:

I'm wearing yellow pants and a white shirt and sitting with my mate in a pfaff shirt

You guys must be master of disguise cause I can’t find you for poo poo. I’m the dude standing up by the video wall on the phone.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

All these hypercars make me wanna install a twin turbo rig on a kei car

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

what's the difference between Hypercar, LMDh, and whatever the Glickenhaus was

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Yes

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The D stands for Daytona and the h stands for h.

> An LMDh (Le Mans Daytona h) is a type of sports prototype race car that will compete alongside Le Mans Hypercar entries in the Grand Touring Prototype (GTP) class of the IMSA SportsCar Championship from 2023.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
I thought the h in LMDh stood for “hybrid” but I guess not.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Heh, it must but I assume there is some Wikipedia argument going on there.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's very weird to think LMP2 used to be open cockpit

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MustardFacial posted:

I thought the h in LMDh stood for “hybrid” but I guess not.

h is for putting it in h, as you do.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

so LMDh is IMSA

Hypercar is WEC

but there were only Hypercars at Le Mans? and no LMDh?

but Hypercars can compete in IMSA events? which by their nature include LMDh???

this is confusing.

and I still don't know why all the cars in Le Mans sometimes were referred to as 'Hypercar H,' except the Glickenhaus, which was simply 'Hypercar'

Wikipedia is a disaster on all of this

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
why do you think they are so great at attracting new fans to motorsport? it's all so straight forward!

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Well you see a bunch of series wanted to make a new top tier prototype class, so they did, then they had a talk and decided that they could just put all of them in H

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

so LMDh is IMSA

Hypercar is WEC

this is confusing.

and I still don't know why all the cars in Le Mans sometimes were referred to as 'Hypercar H,' except the Glickenhaus, which was simply 'Hypercar'

LMDh and GTP are the same thing. The cars are called GTP in IMSA and LMDh in the WEC, but it’s the same homologation. They are allowed to compete in the Hypercar class in the WEC against the indigenous Hypercars there. In theory it can go in reverse too, with Hypercars going to IMSA events to compete in the GTP class, but that has not actually happened yet.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

so LMDh is IMSA

Hypercar is WEC

this is confusing.

LMDh is imsa, but is the acronym everyone used before imsa decided to call it GTP. The caddys and Porsche are lmdh cars, which have a hybrid system (same with bmw and acura.)

Glickenhaus and Vanwall are LMH, no hybrid system.

Toyota, Ferrari and Peugeot are LMH, which is a hypercar with a hybrid system.

I think I got that right. And for wec they just call everything a hypercar.

The biggest difference between LMH and LMDh is LMH hybrids must drive the front wheels, LMDh all use the same hybrid rear transaxle. LMH cars are bespoke; as long as they fit the regs, it can race. LMDh must use a next-gen LMP2 chassis from a manufacturer (dallara, oreca, multimatic.) Aero, bodywork and electronics are up to the team/manufacturer.

Then you BoP it, twist it, pull it and they all resemble but are legally distinct from the lollipop guild.

Make sense? No? Good!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

So the LMP2 is a mix of pros and Pro/Am entries, but the GTE is only amateurs because they got rid of the pro division this year. This is a very good system.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

no

i google IMSA GTP and get something apparently doesn't exist anymore

this is so stupid. good racing though this year. i watched a few years ago when toyota was just dunking on everyone and lost interest

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
I’m glad I went but Jesus I want to lie down.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
The result proves the rules can be dumb as hell and I still get to laugh at Jack Aitken binning it on the first half of the opening lap of a 24 hour race. :colbert:

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
As far as I remember having barely slept all week:

LMH (Le Mans Hypercar) is the spec drawn up by the FIA/ACO where basically you build whatever the hell you want and as long as it hits the downforce level, drag coefficient and other assorted performance targets it’s allowed, that’s why you have the wingless Peugeot, it meets the downforce target from the floor alone.

These were originally all going to be hybrid but Aston Martin kicked off about wanting to bring the Valkyrie to race, got the rules changed, forgot to make cars people could actually buy, went broke, got bought out and hosed off to F1. This opened the door for Glickenhaus and Vanwall.

LMDh (Le Mans Daytona hybrid) (I think) is the spec drawn up by IMSA, basically the same idea as their last gen top class DPi (Daytona Prototype international). These were LMP2 cars with manufacturer specific engines and bodywork, so they would have the road car styling. The LMDh cars are based off what were expected to be the new LMP2 cars but they won’t be now since that class is getting the boot, they are all hybrids and all use the same off the shelf hybrid system.

Both organisations set the same performance targets and will test and homologate cars of either spec to run in their top class, although IMSA have an extra requirement that the manufacturer has to actively sell cars in the US.

The combined class in WEC is called Hypercar and in IMSA it’s GTP since that’s what the top class was called in the golden age the last time the same cars could run in both series (kinda).

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Xisticide posted:

LMH (Le Mans Hypercar) is the spec drawn up by the FIA/ACO where basically you build whatever the hell you want and as long as it hits the downforce level, drag coefficient and other assorted performance targets it’s allowed, that’s why you have the wingless Peugeot, it meets the downforce target from the floor alone.

These were originally all going to be hybrid but Aston Martin kicked off about wanting to bring the Valkyrie to race, got the rules changed, forgot to make cars people could actually buy, went broke, got bought out and hosed off to F1. This opened the door for Glickenhaus and Vanwall.

LMDh (Le Mans Daytona hybrid) (I think) is the spec drawn up by IMSA, basically the same idea as their last gen top class DPi (Daytona Prototype international). These were LMP2 cars with manufacturer specific engines and bodywork, so they would have the road car styling. The LMDh cars are based off what were expected to be the new LMP2 cars but they won’t be now since that class is getting the boot, they are all hybrids and all use the same off the shelf hybrid system.

Both organisations set the same performance targets and will test and homologate cars of either spec to run in their top class, although IMSA have an extra requirement that the manufacturer has to actively sell cars in the US.

The combined class in WEC is called Hypercar and in IMSA it’s GTP since that’s what the top class was called in the golden age the last time the same cars could run in both series (kinda).

This is correct.

The cars are LMDh and LMH, the classes are GTP in IMSA (which is made up of LMDh although the rules can allow for LMH too), and Hypercar in WEC (which encompasses both LMH and LMDh)

GTP is a nod to the old not-quite Group C regs that IMSA had in the 80s also called GTP

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

smackfu posted:

So the LMP2 is a mix of pros and Pro/Am entries, but the GTE is only amateurs because they got rid of the pro division this year. This is a very good system.

Nope!

Just has to have the right mix of drivers. With 3 drivers it must have 1 bronze and 1 silver OR bronze, 3rd driver can be anyone (its gonna be a pro.) 2 drivers is bronze and silver. So it's still pro/am.

LMP2 a drivers line up, whether 2 or 3, simply must include one bronze OR silver.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Well this system clearly sucks

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Actually it owns because Ferrari won Le Mans

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Xisticide posted:

this is helpful, ty

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Thanks Ants posted:

Actually it owns because Ferrari won Le Mans
they aint winning an F1 race, so drink it in

leclerc's face was sad, because he wants to be happy, but he won't be

until he races for Team Krack in 2026

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

this is helpful, ty

Two more notes:

-Each LMDh is based on what will be a next-gen LMP2 chassis, but there hasn’t been an announcement when those will take over from the current generation.

-IMSA uses the Windshear wind tunnel in North Carolina, WEC I think uses the Sauber wind tunnel in Switzerland, and each series sets the Balance of Performance parameters for themselves. Along with BoP settings for each car, the WEC has also tried to balance “LMDh” and “Hypercar” broadly against each other.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Also the wec like every other FIA racing org actively hates you for watching or enjoying the racing product and will actively gently caress over anyone they can for oil money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Well yes that’s every sport