Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Do you think Cecila is gonna kiss Tamila anytime soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I think playing it up would be a good thing cause that will lead to a better chance of us getting an event where Welt and Siegfried can pilot a mecha that hopefully combines and yes I want that please and thank you

We already got a really cool giant robot that punches the poo poo out of things as a fight mechanic without needing to have it be a giant callback to another video game.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Meowywitch posted:

I don't want Cecila anywhere near Tamila for Tamila's sake tbh

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Cecila's quests about Tamila read less like someone with an innocent crush and more weirdo stalker territory, yeah.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Meowywitch posted:

It took me way too long to realize you were talking about the daily girl on Jarillo VI, instead of Cecilia Shariac.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

doing the stalker quests makes me feel weird! i don't wanna be complicit in this

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Dont do em then.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

This game loves giving me Serval. I've pulled 3 off of the current banner, up to e5.

Also I just did MoC 13. Team 1 was Arvan(!), Welt, Serval and March. Team 2 was Fireblazer, Sampo, Asta and Sushang. Managed to get the kill on the last possible cycle.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

MoC? I thought that just went up to 10.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Cecila and Tamila are for the Black Swan heads.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FractalSandwich posted:

The Japanese version does call Pom-Pom "he" in at least one place. Unclear if that's a potential error on their part, or an overabundance of caution on the English side.

the jp version isnt the original text

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

FractalSandwich posted:

The Japanese version does call Pom-Pom "he" in at least one place. Unclear if that's a potential error on their part, or an overabundance of caution on the English side. (He(?) also calls himself "ore" in the first person, but that doesn't actually mean anything in anime.)

From checking some voice lines in Chinese it looks like it sidesteps the issue by not really using pronouns for Pom-Pom, just using their name or "the conductor" if an object/subject is needed grammatically. I don't have Himeko or Welt though so I can't check their voice lines to see if they might mention a pronoun.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

can the bocchi avatar guy swap us all around again im fine being kita or nijika

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Paging Bocchi Bandit, paging Bocchi Bandit, I'd like Kita to round out the quadfecta next swap.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The less cross game clutter the better IMO.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I just pulled Silver Wolf. What the actual gently caress?

GoodluckJonathan posted:

MoC? I thought that just went up to 10.

Sorry, Forgotten Hall. I'm not ready for MoC yet.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Wait she's a stalker???

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Meowywitch posted:

Wait she's a stalker???

have you done any of her daily quests, like the ones where she recruits you to find out what books she reads, how she likes to set her thermostat, literally follow her around from place to place so she can see how she lives her life so she can be the perfect replacement for her.....?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Leraika posted:

have you done any of her daily quests, like the ones where she recruits you to find out what books she reads, how she likes to set her thermostat, literally follow her around from place to place so she can see how she lives her life so she can be the perfect replacement for her.....?
I'm pretty sure she gives you a quest to figure out how Tamila smells at one point

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Is there a link to a breakdown of the Light Cones available to pick for the battle pass level 30 choice?

paralyzed by indecision

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Leraika posted:

I don't know if that counts as stalking

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Autisanal Cheese posted:

Is there a link to a breakdown of the Light Cones available to pick for the battle pass level 30 choice?

paralyzed by indecision
Another Peaceful Day is apparently quite good if you don't have a good erudition cone

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Autisanal Cheese posted:

paralyzed by indecision

Quick TLDR

Erudition is the strongest because the Erudition 4* are all pretty terrible.
Preservation is a unique effect that could give someone like March more damage.
Harmony is Widsith but for the entire team, it's obviously great but Dance! Dance! Dance! exists and is better.

Abundance is free healing but not outstanding.
Nihility is just a bunch of extra damage, but Nihility has so many amazing cones, that it's hard to recommend.
Hunt is a fine cone, but Hunt also has a bunch of great 4* options.

Destruction is just not great, no reason to ever pick it.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Autisanal Cheese posted:

paralyzed by indecision

prydwen site has a dedicated page for that idk how well that site is received here
https://www.prydwen.gg/star-rail/guides/best-battle-pass-light-cone

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Endorph posted:

the jp version isnt the original text
Don't need the condescension, mate. I said I don't know which is more accurate.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Meowywitch posted:

I don't know if that counts as stalking

lol

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

well anyway the lottery ticket got me like 3 curios before it blew up never seen that kinda luck before

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

big cummers ONLY posted:

The writing for the side quests and goofy moments is good, but the main story feels extremely generic and soulless to me.

I think it must be either an odd "directorial" choice, or else they literally divided up the writing team between main stuff and side stuff, because the non mainquest text is not only a lot better written on the whole, but often in a totally different voice and style. Nothing in the main narrative feels at all of a piece with, like, the bits where you can hide in a hotel wardrobe and terrorize the cleaning staff.

I enjoy both modes but it's a little odd to bounce between them

King of Bleh fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jun 12, 2023

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I haven't played Honkai Impact, but my impression of the writing in both Genshin and Star Rail is that it's extremely "safe." Like, they have the bare minimum of characters and plot and whatnot, but fall short of actually having anything to say, a theme or a message they want to convey. Instead, the plots are just excuses to have a bunch of characters to sell you. For example the ending of the Bellabog arc where they had the chance to have even the barest minimum baby's first theme, but blew it at the last second to preserve the status quo.

...Maybe that sounds a little harsh, and I honestly I don't think it's awful, it's just... vanilla? This is the kind of basic fantasy story that a lot of people really love, and the characters are generally attractive or funny or whatever. It just has no desire whatsoever to be any more than that. And my guess is that all the craziness in the peripheries comes from the "unimportant" things beings assigned to lower level writers given a large degree of freedom.

Edit: It is also "safe" in that we're told repeatedly that the Stellaron Hunters are wanted criminals with huge bounties, but we haven't heard a single thing about any crimes they've committed that we might object to. So they can remain unobjectionable to sell in the gacha.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jun 12, 2023

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
Goddamn it I'm so sad. I'm a supply pass gamer still at EQ 4 and I almost, ALMOST got 1 star on MoC 9. Got Svarog to literally 1% HP and then he just killed my Bailu who hadn't used her combat raise yet. So if he'd killed literally anyone else I'd have been completely fine.

Was the star I needed for 21/30 stars too. It's late and I'm tired and I don't want to do this awful grindy fight again for another attempt. Ugh.

Having victory snatched away from you like that sucks so much rear end...

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
nah, its all on the money. the writing would feel completely flavorless if they didn't know how to write good jokes and back and forth character bits. game desperately wants mass appeal. would feel much more cynical about it if it wasn't for the sidequests and stuff like the memory bubbles having a bit more flavor. and something about the tone is a tad bit less disney here than in genshin so that also helps in finding it a bit more tolerable.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

Edit: It is also "safe" in that we're told repeatedly that the Stellaron Hunters are wanted criminals with huge bounties, but we haven't heard a single thing about any crimes they've committed that we might object to. So they can remain unobjectionable to sell in the gacha.
They call Kafka an "assassin", so I assume she's at least attempted one or more assassinations.

Anyway, she's so cool that she could be a genocidal war criminal and people would still roll for her. I know I would.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

FractalSandwich posted:

Anyway, she's so cool that she could be a genocidal war criminal and people would still roll for her. I know I would.

Of course they would, this is the era of the genocidal girl boss so Star Rail should just completely embrace it and let her do some proper war crimes. this is what the people want.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Everyone loves a good war criminal, it's true.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
going on change.org to start a petition to let kafka do a colony drop

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Seriously though, I feel like they've been designated as edgy antiheroes purely by vibes, since we never actually see them doing anything worse than we do. Which is how the game handles a lot of characterization, come to think of it.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Clarste posted:

I haven't played Honkai Impact, but my impression of the writing in both Genshin and Star Rail is that it's extremely "safe." Like, they have the bare minimum of characters and plot and whatnot, but fall short of actually having anything to say, a theme or a message they want to convey. Instead, the plots are just excuses to have a bunch of characters to sell you. For example the ending of the Bellabog arc where they had the chance to have even the barest minimum baby's first theme, but blew it at the last second to preserve the status quo.

...Maybe that sounds a little harsh, and I honestly I don't think it's awful, it's just... vanilla? This is the kind of basic fantasy story that a lot of people really love, and the characters are generally attractive or funny or whatever. It just has no desire whatsoever to be any more than that. And my guess is that all the craziness in the peripheries comes from the "unimportant" things beings assigned to lower level writers given a large degree of freedom.

It's a funny point to bring up since yeah, for as hard as they back away from doing something interesting at the end of Belobog, the sidequests love to hand you similar storylines where you can actually shatter those minor status quos by revealing the truth. Though I assume neither outcome is particularly bad, which just cuts back to the safety of it all.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

Seriously though, I feel like they've been designated as edgy antiheroes purely by vibes, since we never actually see them doing anything worse than we do. Which is how the game handles a lot of characterization, come to think of it.
Breaking and entering, burglary, unauthorized use of a computer system, unlicensed possession of dual uzis, use of mind control without a permit... need I go on? Those Stellaron Hunters are a menace!

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yes but consider Herta is also kind of a jerk so who can say who is good and bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
only in biden's america is owning dual uzis consider edgy, tsk tsk