Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Some other details:

• Players appear to be able to slide and mantle-there's a slim possibility these are canned AI character behaviors, but I think it's visible in first person at one point.
  • Special enemies appear to have disabling target points, such as a power unit on the taser.
  • Eric Etebari is no longer Dallas. He's angrily tweeting about it. I've got no information or insight from within the developers, but my recollection from discussion of his non-payday acting career is he has a rep as erratic to work with, which might be a factor.
  • The collector's edition is a gobsmacking $140. Even I'm hesitant at that price point.
  • As a part of the slow reorg of the past...many...years, the Overkill corporate branding appears to be fully gone, and it's now just Starbreeze. Same people afaict though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Payday 3 is going to be on PC game pass and I hope it's not one of those stupid situations where you can't play that version with people on steam or whatever.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004
Good point regarding crossplay. It's slowly becoming the norm, but at this point they might be hesitant to say anything.

The game will probably turn out okay, but the pricing structure for DLC seems to be considerably higher.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Man I loving hope Payday 3 is good. I'm a bit lukewarm on the trailer, I was hoping for more of a graphical overhaul than what we appear to be getting.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Are they still using their clapped out engine, or have they transitioned to something else like UE?

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

I'm just super curious about what a launch day Payday 3 looks like because of how wild the power creep got in 2. Do they design around that being the ultimate destination or go another direction

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Phoix posted:

I'm just super curious about what a launch day Payday 3 looks like because of how wild the power creep got in 2. Do they design around that being the ultimate destination or go another direction

"Poison grenades? Swarms of cops? The existence of Bain?! You must have hit your head somethin' fierce. We're gonna rob this bank here."

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I'm cautiously optimistic because i have a lot of good memories tied up in payday 2 and 1 from playing with friends. But i also dropped off 2 well before the huge slew of dlcs so i dont know what they really look like anymore.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Explosionface posted:

Are they still using their clapped out engine, or have they transitioned to something else like UE?

it looks like it's UE5

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Explosionface posted:

It's UE. Part of the reason for the somewhat awkward looking visuals is because it looks to be using the default lighting setup, according to those familiar with that stuff.

Phoix posted:

It's likely that you should view this as a mostly fresh start balancewise. There appear to be significant underlying mechanical differences.

For moment-to-moment coverage and behind the scenes info (and lobbies once this releases), consider joining the co-op goons discord, literally founded for payday 2 (and now covering a slew of co-op games, as goons rapidly filter through them).

https://discord.gg/vabSrz57gz

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Discendo Vox posted:

• Eric Etebari is no longer Dallas. He's angrily tweeting about it. I've got no information or insight from within the developers, but my recollection from discussion of his non-payday acting career is he has a rep as erratic to work with, which might be a factor.

considering that he's currently flipping out about it on twitter i think reports of him being "erratic" are justified given that being pissy about it is not something a stable individual would do

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

It's worth mentioning for those not familiar that when the swap to Payday 2 occurred, most of the VAs were swapped out. In the process, Hoxton as a character was swapped out, so Pete Gold, his VA, lost the gig (and my cursory understanding is game VA work is pretty lucrative compared to some other VA areas). Pete Gold did absolutely zero of this stuff, expressing only mild regret and, as players kept requesting Hoxton's return, saying he'd be open to reprising the role. Gold got the job again when Hoxton returned, and may return again for 3. IMO, Etebari behaving this way means Starbreeze would be really dumb to rehire him; it would create incredibly perverse incentives involving both the community and their character talent. They're apparently still using Dallas's VA for the character.

Another possible motive is that they're likely not doing any live action work in Payday 3 (it was a big resource sink that was probably championed by Bo Andersson), so they can just not use real actors or their likenesses at a potentially significant savings.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

It's worth mentioning for those not familiar that when the swap to Payday 2 occurred, most of the VAs were swapped out. In the process, Hoxton as a character was swapped out, so Pete Gold, his VA, lost the gig (and my cursory understanding is game VA work is pretty lucrative compared to some other VA areas). Pete Gold did absolutely zero of this stuff, expressing only mild regret and, as players kept requesting Hoxton's return, saying he'd be open to reprising the role. Gold got the job again when Hoxton returned, and may return again for 3. IMO, Etebari behaving this way means Starbreeze would be really dumb to rehire him; it would create incredibly perverse incentives involving both the community and their character talent. They're apparently still using Dallas's VA for the character.

Another possible motive is that they're likely not doing any live action work in Payday 3 (it was a big resource sink that was probably championed by Bo Andersson), so they can just not use real actors or their likenesses at a potentially significant savings.

Eric Etebari is a super cool dude in person, who was very appreciative (bemused?) when I told him about our "Crimedad" moniker we had given him.

No Eric no sale :colbert:

I'll probably be playing in early access

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Is the developer dude whose solution to everything in Payday 2 was “add more cops” still involved with company?

Cause I remember the later portion of P2 lifecycle being just boring grind compared to earlier iterations where some skill was useful.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

iv46vi posted:

Is the developer dude whose solution to everything in Payday 2 was “add more cops” still involved with company?

nope! jules got tired of the community not appreciating his brilliance, so he hosed off to make games elsewhere.

the result was an unbelievably massive failure of an early access title that last received an update two years ago

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1181780/Ascendants_Rising/

Kith fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jun 12, 2023

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Man, the Gold and even Silver price tags are kinda steep, compared to the reasonable one for the basic game. Gold edition is more than twice for what, 4 heists? I hope it's not twice the content :v: Game looks like it has improved, but you know. Since Payday 2 was getting content updates for 10 years, Payday 3 was always going to be a step back while also being a step forward. God I hope we get more than 4 heisters to choose from.

Discendo Vox posted:

No live action with masks off :v: I doubt they can resist the silent call of live action trailers.

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
I knew pd3 existed and will buy it either way, but that trailer was not inspiring.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
If you have rotted your brain away with enough Payday 2, you see immideate improvements in 3, like human shields, sliding, grenades being unlocked from the start, varied weapons, upgrades to special cops (cloakers bounce of walls now?). Plus that remote hacking with cellphones, a hint of pre-planning etc.

Now show me the stealth gameplay and partial successes in that carrying over to loud gameplay and we're golden. However, remember guys:

No preorders.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
Listen, as long as they've finally solved moonwalking-wallphasing guards in co-op stealth, I'm on board.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i hope civilians remain an asset in payday 3

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
i hope i can eat civilians to regain health

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
gently caress stealth altogether but I’m a little surprised that the first impression of pd3 wasn’t a framing frames apartment heist type of reveal. One that shows stealth to loud. Would’ve been perfect.

I m down as hell for this series to get grounded and visceral though. Give me one more ammo clip and make melee good. All I ask.

I do request a tarot drawing ARG that goes nowhere also!

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Improbable Lobster posted:

i hope i can eat civilians to regain health

Eat cash for a damage buff

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

swims posted:

gently caress stealth altogether but I’m a little surprised that the first impression of pd3 wasn’t a framing frames apartment heist type of reveal. One that shows stealth to loud. Would’ve been perfect.

I m down as hell for this series to get grounded and visceral though. Give me one more ammo clip and make melee good. All I ask.

I do request a tarot drawing ARG that goes nowhere also!

They showed a bank robbery in THE Bank Robbing Game. There was a bit od casing, mask up, civilan contol, slight setup before the cops come.

Looked all right.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Kikas posted:

However, remember guys:

No preorders.

You're not on Reddit. You can't farm upvotes here.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I hope the T/C contender from the penultimate payday 2 weapon DLC pack is carried over to payday 3.

IMO.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

I'm still sad they never added the Pancor Jackhammer into Payday 2.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Explosionface posted:

I'm still sad they never added the Pancor Jackhammer into Payday 2.

I thought they did at one point. Could've been a similar gun, though.

Also on the topic of odd shotguns, wonder if they're gonna have the gall to add the Street Sweeper with the proper manual reloading.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

widespread posted:

Also on the topic of odd shotguns, wonder if they're gonna have the gall to add the Street Sweeper with the proper manual reloading.

They didn't add a jackhammer in payday 2, unfortunately.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

All I want is a good UI and not the poo poo you see in PD2 and in Darktide trying to force map rotations.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

widespread posted:

A street sweeper was added ages ago in like 2014.

You used to be able to make it load 25 rounds or something ridiculous, and manually loading them all took ages.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

UnknownMercenary posted:

You used to be able to make it load 25 rounds or something ridiculous, and manually loading them all took ages.

I know. I'm saying add it to PD3.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

UnknownMercenary posted:

I want the peacemaker to get a skill or upgrade to get it to 25 rounds. Imagine a heister loading a revolver, forever.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

widespread posted:

The was the Six12 shotgun, which actually looks kinda close to the final production desig of the Jackhammer- https://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Crye_Precision_SIX12

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Just had a youtube ad for Five Hour Energy that was VO'd by Dallas voice guy. It clicked right away that he should be yelling at people to get down. The Payday mindworms are back in full force for me already.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNIQCv7AC8c

This got posted today, there's some fluff here but also some good info and I'm liking what I'm seeing here. I like that there's now states between stealth and loud where it sounds like guards will go on patrol but not call the cops and then a negotiation phase where you can trade hostages for more time.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Glad they're expanding on stealth, hopefully they also follow the trend of later heists where a partial fail on stealth wasn't a complete waste of time - it would bypass some objectives. Curious to know how many heists there will be at launch, and if/when they'll be getting at least some of the old heists migrated to the new engine.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Jesus christ yes give me partial successes via stealth and it's literally all I want from this.

Negotiations seem like a cool idea - actually partially implemented in 2 as well, since the more hostages you have on some heists, the slower the actual police will respond and it also mattered for assault length. Glad to see that they're iterating on these more cryptic mechanics the game already had.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Kikas posted:

Glad to see that they're iterating on these more cryptic mechanics the game already had.

I'm waiting with baited breath for the Payday 3 Long Guide.

No, really. I read the entire guide for 2 and thought all the poo poo in there was fascinating, I'll probably love all the even-more-cryptic bullshit that 3 has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

mp5 posted:

game broken again, good job overkill

Only registered members can see post attachments!