Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Maed posted:

my retirement plan is once I hit 60 I'll start smoking unfiltered cigarettes, get my sky diving license, have unprotected sex with hookers, buy an ariel atom, do daily speedballs, and join a fight club. things will work themselves out

adding this to my dating profile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

go out like the granddad in little miss sunshine
it is the only way

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

blatman posted:

im starting that right now so if u make a note of the time and date of this post and the time and date when i stop posting u can use that data for budgeting

nice we just need to get an actuary in on the plan and start making some actuarial life tables

His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008
My retirement plan is to be killed during a mass shooting while I'm shopping for groceries

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Maed posted:

my retirement plan is once I hit 60 I'll start smoking unfiltered cigarettes, get my sky diving license, have unprotected sex with hookers, buy an ariel atom, do daily speedballs, and join a fight club. things will work themselves out

By the time you're sixty none of these things will be within your reach financially. including the cigarettes

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

His Purple Majesty posted:

My retirement plan is to be killed during a mass shooting while I'm shopping for groceries

whoops sorry you pulled through but now you have $1m in medical debt

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

His Purple Majesty posted:

looks like you missed your chance at that today, but tomorrow and every following day will be another opportunity

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Recently at work someone's dog needed vet care and they ended up having to spend $4,000.

all US healthcare is a hostage situation

I just quit having pets over this kind of thing. Hitting that area where it's a vague problem causing my dog pain that no vet could identify with expensive dog MRIs and he just had to limp around until he died of old age after years of discomfort while I got hit with enough bills to buy a car is just too depressing to repeat.

you can pay for pet insurance. i've been paying like $40 a month for my cat and when the stupid jerk ate a string and nearly killed himself they paid out like $6000

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 03:06 on Jun 12, 2023

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Shear Modulus posted:

you can pay for pet insurance. i've been paying like $40 a month for my cat and when the stupid jerk ate a string and nearly killed himself they paid out like $6000

what did they increase his premium to

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

drat pretty good

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

nexous posted:

what did they increase his premium to

it's $47.76 per month starting next anniversary

Not sure what it started at but it was 20-30ish

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

lmao @ zero hedge posting/writing this poo poo

https://twitter.com/zerohedge/status/1668068159524306949

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

what's up buddy? degeneracy? poison? tell us what you really think, guy from VDARE

Shipon has issued a correction as of 05:58 on Jun 12, 2023

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
zerohedge just wishes for the turner diaries but with bitcoin at this point

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

hugs to the goon who had this happen to their cat and they couldn’t save them

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

pet insurance is insanely cheap compared to how bad vet hospital bills can be. it is 100% worth it and i can say this from extensive experience.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

triple sulk posted:

pet insurance is insanely cheap compared to how bad vet hospital bills can be. it is 100% worth it and i can say this from extensive experience.

i never bothered because i just assumed i'd be paying $50+ month forever and then when the time comes that i need four figures of work, they just refuse all claims as not being covered and don't cough up the dough.

like most electronic "insurance" programs

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i am harry posted:

hugs to the goon who had this happen to their cat and they couldn’t save them

it's sadly very accurate that people lose pets over poo poo like this.

care credit is excellent to use in tandem as they delay interest and you can pay off most of it with the insurance claim, but not every everywhere will take it.

the hospitalization costs are getting out of control now because there aren't enough emergency services and many places will turn away patients. new dedicated 24/7 emergency centers have opened up over the last few years and you can almost always get your pet in, but you're looking at a minimum of $2-3k to get in the door. depending on the surgery you'll often see costs balloon to $10-15k.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

silicone thrills posted:

good time to get a lightly used aeron chair from your local used office furniture warehouse
i have an aeron at work and its nice but overrated. the one big negative is it has no flatulence cushioning

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Xaris posted:

i never bothered because i just assumed i'd be paying $50+ month forever and then when the time comes that i need four figures of work, they just refuse all claims as not being covered and don't cough up the dough.

like most electronic "insurance" programs

i'm afraid to even suggest a rough number that we've gotten back over the years, lest i be judged for how much has been spent on pets, but trust me that they do reimburse and it's often 60-80% or more.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
what’s the best way to shop pet insurance?

pet island have a thread?

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011
for you despondent goons out there, I’m making a farm upstate where old goons can retire with a place of their own

I’m calling it Neo Kowloon walled city and you need to bring your own shipping container

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Huragok posted:

for you despondent goons out there, I’m making a farm upstate where old goons can retire with a place of their own

I’m calling it Neo Kowloon walled city and you need to bring your own shipping container
unlike bathroom remodelling, suburban mcmansions, kid ziplines, submarines, camps,and hot dog stands, this is one goon project that it completely impossible to be worse than contemporary americana society, so...

sign me up! i'm in

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Xaris posted:

i have an aeron at work and its nice but overrated. the one big negative is it has no flatulence cushioning

I've always sworn by the Steelcase Leap myself, especially if you can score a used one

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

no lube so what posted:

what’s the best way to shop pet insurance?

pet island have a thread?

This is doomsday economics. We can advise you to eat your pet after every morsel of food in your end of the world survival bunker has already been consumed and the outside wastes are ruled by cannibal hunter scavenger gangs. Insurance policies not so much.

animist
Aug 28, 2018

$600M in stolen neopets is something like 2% of North Korea's GDP for 2022

you gotta wonder how much of that they could actually turn into cash though

animist has issued a correction as of 09:59 on Jun 12, 2023

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

animist posted:

$600M in stolen neopets is something like 2% of North Korea's GDP for 2022

you gotta wonder how much of that they could actually turn into cash though

FTX managed to make vaguely 8 billion of crypto sucker money vanish. I can absolutely believe there is another 600 million to buy whatever new and totally different scam neopets are.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

euphronius posted:

one of the reasons birth rates go down as a a country improves the material conditions of its people arguably is because people stop having kids so much to make sure someone is there to take care of them when they are old

I met a new neighbor the other night and learned that he had 35 siblings. Yes - 35. His parents are hopefully taken care of.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

wherein the chuds discover doomerism

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Rip Testes posted:

I met a new neighbor the other night and learned that he had 35 siblings. Yes - 35. His parents are hopefully taken care of.

You're neighbors with Elon Musk?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Shipon posted:

zerohedge just wishes for the turner diaries but with bitcoin at this point

I don't know jack about that but if they're remotely conservative/libertarian that's literally the whole philosophy, the whole point of buying into that poo poo is to buy tickets to the rapture and wait out the collapse

The status quo going on and the liberals being right about the end of history is their worst nightmare because it makes them utterly un special and all their efforts pointless

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

gradenko_2000 posted:

You're neighbors with Elon Musk?

Fortunately not.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Xaris posted:

That's a positive, the farts shoot out and immediately afflict everyone around you

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Huragok posted:

It'll be cool to live with my childhood dog again. I can't wait!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

triple sulk posted:

The last time I checked the premiums + deductible for my old rear end sick cat were comparable to what I spend at my not-at-all-cheap vet and that's without considering plan coverage details. Maybe it makes more sense to cover rare emergencies for younger/healthier cats.

Senior cats can be insanely expensive. I had a good run with a guy who was almost purrfectly healthy (ha ha haaa) from age 10 to when he suddenly had everything fail at once just shy of his 20th birthday. I thought hey I'll do this again and got another old bastard with an easily treatable chronic issue and he just acquired more of those plus occasional random infections and poo poo. I will definitely think twice before getting another teenage cat no matter how adorable they are/sad their backstory.

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
There's nothing wrong with providing hospice care if your heart is up for it. I like adopting old bastards nobody else wants, even if it usually means putting them down in a few years. You can make the time till then enjoyable.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Bull market!

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Fell Mood posted:

There's nothing wrong with providing hospice care if your heart is up for it. I like adopting old bastards nobody else wants, even if it usually means putting them down in a few years. You can make the time till then enjoyable.

Forgot what thread this was and thought this wasn't about pets for s second

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

:raise:

quote:

JPMorgan reaches settlement with Jeffrey Epstein victim in lawsuit

JPMorgan Chase said Monday it has reached a settlement with one of late sexual predator Jeffrey Epstein's victims, who had been suing the bank.

The bank's litigation with the U.S. Virgin Islands in the Epstein matter remains, however. Its claims against former executive Jes Staley, who was friends with Epstein, are also active, the bank said.

The victim and the Virgin Islands, where Epstein owned a private island, both claim JPMorgan continued working with Epstein after learning he had been a predator, and facilitated his sex trafficking crimes.

The announcement comes more than a week after JPMorgan CEO Jamie Dimon gave a deposition in the Epstein cases. On Friday, the Epstein victim, called Jane Doe 1 in documents, asked the court to reopen Dimon's deposition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

Bull market!