Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Clarste posted:

Edit: It is also "safe" in that we're told repeatedly that the Stellaron Hunters are wanted criminals with huge bounties, but we haven't heard a single thing about any crimes they've committed that we might object to. So they can remain unobjectionable to sell in the gacha.
this feels a bit ungenerous when two of the most popular genshin characters are provable mass murderers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

FractalSandwich posted:

Breaking and entering, burglary, unauthorized use of a computer system, unlicensed possession of dual uzis, use of mind control without a permit... need I go on? Those Stellaron Hunters are a menace!

Remember that time we assassinated the leader of Belabog?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Hell, I'll assassinate her again if I have to. I do it like twice a week even!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Endorph posted:

this feels a bit ungenerous when two of the most popular genshin characters are provable mass murderers

That's fair, but in this game at least they seem to have skipped the step where they lead an evil army. Maybe we'll eventually recruit a Lord Ravager though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbf the stellaron hunters arent really those types of villains, they are literally what their name says, they go after stellarons for mysterious reasons. i dont think they're really meant to be evil villains, they're just meant to be mysterious. they dont have anything to do with belabog and space china specifically says they didnt cause the issue. the reason they dont do anything super evil isn't cowardice its that they arent those kinds of characters.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

Remember that time we assassinated the leader of Belabog?
That time the leader of Belobog heroically sacrificed herself, you mean?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like the silver wolf event treats silver wolf with all the gravitas of team rocket.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Endorph posted:

tbf the stellaron hunters arent really those types of villains, they are literally what their name says, they go after stellarons for mysterious reasons. i dont think they're really meant to be evil villains, they're just meant to be mysterious. they dont have anything to do with belabog and space china specifically says they didnt cause the issue. the reason they dont do anything super evil isn't cowardice its that they arent those kinds of characters.

Yeah, but the characters we trust (the Astral Express crew) immediately treat them like despicable scumbags and are like "oh no, they got away!" even after it's been proven that they didn't do anything. They are, at the very least, treated by the story as edgy antiheroes despite not actually doing anything we wouldn't do. A lot of your dialog choices regarding them are also strangely antagonistic.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

well they steal and gather the magic space rocks that cause poo poo like 5000 years of winter instead of destroying them? that seems like a reason for the astral express, which specifically goes around solving stellaron issues, to think theyre bad guys, and very specifically something we wouldnt do

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

We've got a magic space rock inside our chest. I guess it's "sealed" but there's no indication that the Stellaron Hunters aren't doing that too. Heck, they sealed the one we have.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clarste posted:

Seriously though, I feel like they've been designated as edgy antiheroes purely by vibes, since we never actually see them doing anything worse than we do. Which is how the game handles a lot of characterization, come to think of it.

Edge is in fact pretty much just a vibe.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Clarste posted:

We've got a magic space rock inside our chest. I guess it's "sealed" but there's no indication that the Stellaron Hunters aren't doing that too. Heck, they sealed the one we have.
yeah but we're like, a person that is walking around, and so far nobody's randomly died near us. i dont think welt and himeko are at the level of cutting off a random persons head.

idk, the stellaron hunters are just rivals. characters can be antagonists with goals disparate to the protagonists without having to be evil.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Clarste posted:

I haven't played Honkai Impact, but my impression of the writing in both Genshin and Star Rail is that it's extremely "safe." Like, they have the bare minimum of characters and plot and whatnot, but fall short of actually having anything to say, a theme or a message they want to convey. Instead, the plots are just excuses to have a bunch of characters to sell you. For example the ending of the Bellabog arc where they had the chance to have even the barest minimum baby's first theme, but blew it at the last second to preserve the status quo.

...Maybe that sounds a little harsh, and I honestly I don't think it's awful, it's just... vanilla? This is the kind of basic fantasy story that a lot of people really love, and the characters are generally attractive or funny or whatever. It just has no desire whatsoever to be any more than that. And my guess is that all the craziness in the peripheries comes from the "unimportant" things beings assigned to lower level writers given a large degree of freedom.

Edit: It is also "safe" in that we're told repeatedly that the Stellaron Hunters are wanted criminals with huge bounties, but we haven't heard a single thing about any crimes they've committed that we might object to. So they can remain unobjectionable to sell in the gacha.

Genshin Impact and Star Rail do feel like they've had their edges sanded down, yeah. But apparently the Trails series was a big inspiration for Star Rail and that series has the exact same problems of having villains who aren't really villainous and if they were then they're just being controlled by an external abstract force so I'm not surprised.

It's funny because from everything I've read about Guns Girl Z (or Honkai Impact 2), that game was far too edgy to the point of being gross, Honkai Impact 3rd is about the right amount of edge, without feeling nihilistic and mean spirited, while Genshin Impact is a lot more light hearted twee and Star Rail is this weird mix of the two which so far, doesn't feel quite right in tone and feels like there were two different writing teams with different ideas on what Star Rail should be and it conflicts with each other. I'm hoping it smooths over and these are just early story pains. Even Genshin Impact and Honkai Impact had those!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I mean, if the Hunters have been causing disasters by carelessly mishandling these things, that's something they could have mentioned instead of our only example of them doing anything to one being the extremely safe sealing of one inside the main character, which is so extraordinarily safe that it astonishes one of the smart people chosen by the god of smarts.

Which is exactly what I meant by all their notoriety being left to vibes rather than giving us any actual reason to be suspicious of them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

frankly this game's main story is already 10x better than genshin impact's to me and i like the main story well enough. the belabog ending was kinda goofy but at least there was actual rising action and conflict that flowed somewhat naturally instead of 10 hours of explaining what a timeloop is to paimon, a creature that is too dumb to live.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Clarste posted:

The Stellaron in the protagonist's body was safely contained in Herta's dragon hoard and they fussed around with it to put it in your chest, for reasons that they cannot or will not adequately explain.

It's pretty reasonable that this group of people who go around doing random unexplainable poo poo to gain access to and manipulate apocalypse rocks because some guy who says he can see the future told them to are not well regarded by literally anyone else. The Astral Express is very up front about how and why they're interacting with Stellarons and go out of their way to explain to the local authorities why they're there and work with them, the Hunters just do whatever the gently caress they want.

Even if the Hunters have never actually caused a disaster yet, it's kind of like how you wouldn't want some random dudes fussing around with nuclear bombs with no authorization even if they hadn't blown one up and taken out a city yet.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Clarste posted:

I mean, if the Hunters have been causing disasters by carelessly mishandling these things, that's something they could have mentioned instead of our only example of them doing anything being the extremely safe sealing of one inside the main character, which is so extraordinarily safe that it astonishes one of the smart people chosen by the god of smarts.

Which is exactly what I meant by all their notoriety being left to vibes rather than giving us any actual reason to be suspicious of them.
i don't think they've been causing disasters, i think it's the potential of causing disasters. like if someone was gathering all the nuclear reactor cores in the world you would probably be suspicious of them even if nothing bad had happened. the main characters are suspicious of them because they're doing things we wouldn't do. even if the protagonist is safe it is still in fact extremely bizarre to stick a space rock inside a random amnesiac.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Stellaron Hunters are super criminals with massive bounties that Are Not To Be Trusted so we must always deal with them with crossed arms and accusatory tones but also like I dunno that's very "cool antihero" to me which is how they're being presented.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I don't think I could really tell you what Genshin's main story actually was, which means that SR is winning by that metric for me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibblebibble posted:

I don't think I could really tell you what Genshin's main story actually was, which means that SR is winning by that metric for me.
genshin's sort of going for a world traveling thing where you meet each nation's god but the issue is instead of getting immersed in local cultures they just sort of prop up a lame small conflict. somehow the inazuma story feels really smallscale despite being a literal civil war.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The Stellaron Hunters are super criminals with massive bounties that Are Not To Be Trusted so we must always deal with them with crossed arms and accusatory tones but also like I dunno that's very "cool antihero" to me which is how they're being presented.

I think they've done a pretty good job showing why they're inherently untrustworthy and disliked but also threading the needle so they're plausible unlikely allies of the protagonists.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I mean, it's highly likely they're renegade heroes and not really true villains. From what I can gather, they're trying to fight fire with fire and use the Trailblazer to go gather the blessings of all the Aeons to become strong enough to take down Nanook, the Aeon of Destruction and the way the story seems to be going, the Trailblazer is likely going to ascend and replace Nanook, being a deity that doesn't poo poo Stellaron everywhere it can and command an army of nihilistic zealot aliens.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

stellaron hunters are grave robbers while we're archaeologists. simple as

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

For what it's worth, I never once called them villains, I used the term antiheroes.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Being edgy antiheroes I bet the only crimes on their massive bounties are "being assholes" and "gleefully flaunting the law"

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

i like the side story writing for the most part except when it wants to try to be insanely bleak and depressing out of nowhere but it's being delivered by an anime old man with an anime as gently caress face and you can't take it seriously at all.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Also don't forget the station was attacked because Silver Wolf led couple of the Antimatter Legion to the place as a diversion so that they could do their thing in the intro

Like sure they didn't physically bloody their hands but the station sidequests and such makes sure to hammer in that people died in the attack.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I mean yeah sure the whole in universe explanation of why the hunters seem shady makes sense but it doesn't take a savvy reader to connect the dots to the numerous of examples of characters of these type that seem to be doing something inexplicable but its all for some greater good master plan, especially when they reveal the existence of Elio right off the bat. Players are just going to innately trust them.

They briefly gesture towards the idea of that by following their script people are going to be put in danger that they could have warned instead. That is the type of ambiguity that would make them work more if they beat that drum, but so far they haven't besides like two scenes which they kinda flew past.

They are still cooler than the express crew though because they like to break the law and don't work with cops though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

so far star rail has yet to make a lady in giant armor 5'2'' and say 'oh she packed the armor with mud' so star rail 1 arknights 0

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Endorph posted:

so far star rail has yet to make a lady in giant armor 5'2'' and say 'oh she packed the armor with mud' so star rail 1 arknights 0

the ending to serval's character quest is weak sauce and a disservice to the character. running away is cool.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Running away is cool, but Serval's entire character arc up to that point in the main story was that in her heart of hearts she actually does care about her responsibilities even if she got frustrated with them and bucked them, so I don't think her side quest is a disservice at all.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Hmm... sorta sounds like something a nerd would say...

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Serval is a turbo nerd whose day job is working on clocks and poo poo, so that tracks.

Pela is proof that playing in a rock band does not stop you from being a nerd.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I was referring to your post i was trying to be mean and evil :'(

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

As participants in a thread about discussing an anime gacha game, I feel that it's understood that all of us are gigantic loving nerds. :colbert:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

boredsatellite posted:

Also don't forget the station was attacked because Silver Wolf led couple of the Antimatter Legion to the place as a diversion so that they could do their thing in the intro

Like sure they didn't physically bloody their hands but the station sidequests and such makes sure to hammer in that people died in the attack.

It is not even once implied that the Stellaron Hunters led the Antimatter Legion there, only that they took advantage of the confusion. Kafka didn't even know they'd be there at all, although that fits her MO of blindly doing whatever Elio says. In her words, they "didn't matter" because Elio never mentioned them.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Kanos posted:

As participants in a thread about discussing an anime gacha game, I feel that it's understood that all of us are gigantic loving nerds. :colbert:
I'm not a nerd. I'm an otaku.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Endorph posted:

True, that is indefensible.

Edit: She's 5'4" though.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jun 12, 2023

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Clarste posted:

It is not even once implied that the Stellaron Hunters led the Antimatter Legion there, only that they took advantage of the confusion. Kafka didn't even know they'd be there at all, although that fits her MO of blindly doing whatever Elio says. In her words, they "didn't matter" because Elio never mentioned them.

Pretty sure Silver Wolf straight says she lured them there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Hypocrisy posted:

Pretty sure Silver Wolf straight says she lured them there.

Yep