Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

That's movie accurate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Yeah. The Lego legs are way too skinny and the whole shoulder stance, head placement, and breastplate are totally off.

This is a movie accurate Age of Ultron Hulkbuster model that's available.

Thicc rear end legs.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Carbohydrates posted:

Saw this on Reddit: a B-model for the UCS Hulkbuster that is... a better UCS Hulkbuster. Apparently it is quite stable and still fits the smaller Iron Man figure inside like the original. It's just better! What a flex of a B-model.

How does this not have 20% more pieces while also looking 200% better?

It's almost cool enough to want just as a mech without caring about Marvel.

e: uh is that r/LEGO unavailable for anyone else?

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jun 12, 2023

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Lizard Combatant posted:

How does this not have 20% more pieces and look 200% better?

It's almost cool enough to want just as a mech without caring about Marvel.

e: uh is that r/LEGO unavailable for anyone else?

Most of Reddit is shut down right now in protest of the upcoming API/app changes.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
But if Reddit is down how will I search Reddit to see why it's down

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

The really nice Hulkbuster seems to be here on Rebrickable:
https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-149429/Ransom_Fern/76210-iron-man-mark-44-hulkbuster-alternate-build/#details

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Yeah, wow. That's so radically better that it really just focuses the spotlight on how dogshit the official set is.

edit: new thing.

21341 Hocus Pocus: The Sanderson Sisters' Cottage announced!

I feel like, when we used to say that an upcoming set looked more like a MOC, it was a compliment. Not feeling this one. The roof and rear exterior feel unpolished. The detailing is... okay. It's fine. Not as nice as the Blacksmith, which I think is a natural comparison, and quite a bit more expensive.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jun 12, 2023

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Watching the video on that page

Man if I was the designer of the official set I'd be loving embarrassed :laffo:

Reckon if you can get the set on sale that'd be a great set to have on your shelf.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

He did the best he could stop being so mean

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Putting them side by side makes it look like the official set got bonked on the head with a giant cartoon hammer.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

bird with big dick posted:

Torso is way too short and fat on the B. Lego is better from the nips downs, B is better from the nips up.

About all I can give the official model is the crotch area so I guess we know what the official designer really cared about :wiggle:

Infinitum posted:

Man if I was the designer of the official set I'd be loving embarrassed :laffo:

The fan build looks extremely sturdy, too. Sometimes official models have to be watered down from what's theoretically possible for structural reasons but that really doesn't seem to be a factor here.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Nah. It's an $850 aud set.

poo poo deserves to be dunked on.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
https://www.promobricks.de/lego-21341-hocus-pocus/163659/

Hocus pocus drops July 1st.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

elf help book posted:

Putting them side by side makes it look like the official set got bonked on the head with a giant cartoon hammer.

And went out fighting wearing a set of depends.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

...are you the designer of the original set?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Lol okay? Had no idea that film was still popular.
Set itself looks quite good, even just as a ramshackle mill/cottage.

Massive step up from the IDEAS team after that truly terrible BTS set.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
That ugly hulk buster was probably designed during the beginning of COVID when everything was in flux and people weren't used to remote collaboration. Maybe some weird design instructions from supervisors too on how the legs should be thin (almost like the $10 sets). And who knows, maybe some time constraints on development the B model didn't have.

Celebrate the B model, no need to go back for more dunks on the original.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Lizard Combatant posted:

Lol okay? Had no idea that film was still popular.
Set itself looks quite good, even just as a ramshackle mill/cottage.

Massive step up from the IDEAS team after that truly terrible BTS set.

Disney just announced they're making a third one.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

trevorreznik posted:

That ugly hulk buster was probably designed during the beginning of COVID when everything was in flux and people weren't used to remote collaboration. Maybe some weird design instructions from supervisors too on how the legs should be thin (almost like the $10 sets). And who knows, maybe some time constraints on development the B model didn't have.

Celebrate the B model, no need to go back for more dunks on the original.
The original was indeed designed during Covid, in a time where designers were basically told to go hog wild and make some bigass crazy poo poo. The Black Panther build came from this same design era. They were told to go big (I do not remember why), and worked with far less influence from other designers and engineers, so these were all more solo projects with less iteration and testing as a result. I think I feel comfortable in calling this experimental philosophy... not great.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

It also looks like there was a real focus on poseability/playability which is why the legs are so skinny. they look like they have more range of motion than the rebuild.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

It also looks like there was a real focus on poseability/playability which is why the legs are so skinny. they look like they have more range of motion than the rebuild.

Yeah, I was going to say the official build’s upper arms, just out from the shoulders, look puny but also like they’d give a lot of poseability.

Without hands on, it’s hard to say how the two compare in ways other than visuals. The B set looks better for sure.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
lego arent for kids to play with, it's for fat 40 year olds to put on their shelf so otherp eople know they like marvel

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

prisoner of waffles posted:

Yeah, I was going to say the official build’s upper arms, just out from the shoulders, look puny but also like they’d give a lot of poseability.

Without hands on, it’s hard to say how the two compare in ways other than visuals. The B set looks better for sure.
There's a youtube video on the Rebrickable page that shows the B model has a larger range of arm motion, too.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

The legs are basically fine, they're skinny but like you say it's obvious why they're built the way they are and the styling is still pretty cool. The torso is just a hot ugly mess and has no real excuses though, and while the shoulders make the same sacrifices for articulation that the legs do the shoulders just look flat out stupid where the legs look cool even if they're off-model.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Hocus Pocus looks okay but still a stupid choice of IP to try to sell. This very much seems like something where Disney had some say in what got made. I can't see LEGO deciding on their own to make it unless one of the leads in the decision process was a major fan as a kid and gaslighted people into voting for it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sunk Dunk posted:

lego arent for kids to play with, it's for fat 40 year olds to put on their shelf so otherp eople know they like marvel

I am in this post and I am not happy about it.

(I don’t care about Marvel at least, but do have the gauntlet flipping people off)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Waltzing Along posted:

Hocus Pocus looks okay but still a stupid choice of IP to try to sell. This very much seems like something where Disney had some say in what got made. I can't see LEGO deciding on their own to make it unless one of the leads in the decision process was a major fan as a kid and gaslighted people into voting for it.

Honestly it's actually a pretty clever move, it's got a very appreciable millennial fanbase that in my estimation seems to be mostly comprised of people who are open to buying Lego but aren't already buying a ton of it. The only thing that makes me raise my eyebrow is the price tag, $230 seems steep for the more casual fans that it seems to be aimed at. The scale and detail of the building seems like overkill for a set that's mostly going to move based on the minifigs, I think they could have stripped it down quite a bit and sold several times more at a lower price point.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
IP aside, I kinda like the set, nice haunted house vibe. If it was priced more like the a frame cabin I’d probably pick it up, but I really don’t care about the IP and 230 is way way too much.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Hocus Pocus is strangely persistently popular. Just got a sequel, is getting another, merch has been a pretty big staple for a few years at least at Spirit stores every Halloween season, etc. Not saying it's gonna break records, but I wouldn't be shocked to see it do well enough.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I just read about it and after it had a lackluster release (flopped) they said, how can we make $$$ w/ this? So every October starting in the mid 90s Disney would broadcast it constantly and then started pushing home video sales as well at big box retailers during the same month. So a bunch of kids had it constantly pushed to them from an early age.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

I just read about it and after it had a lackluster release (flopped) they said, how can we make $$$ w/ this? So every October starting in the mid 90s Disney would broadcast it constantly and then started pushing home video sales as well at big box retailers during the same month. So a bunch of kids had it constantly pushed to them from an early age.

And all of those kids now have kids. Bish bash bosh.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
And now I genuinely enjoy the original movie.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Yeah the original movie is decent, the remake was unnecessary but not terrible and I hear they are going back to the well for a third time. So it must have legs.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Who here ended up getting Ninjago City Markets? I haven't picked it up and not sure if I'm going to. It's more spread out than I would have liked, I would have preferred it have the same footprint as NC Docks and be a little more vertical. Too much empty space for my liking. Definitely fits in well with the others but it's missing the "gotta have it" factor, idk

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I ordered it but it still hasn't arrived.

I wonder about the assembly. A sane approach would be to do each plate until they have to be joined, and then do the stuff that joins at the bottom and the top. I worry that you just build the entire thing from the bottom up which will take a lot of space.

It looked like a must by to my OCD riddled collecting brain. I have the other three, therefore I need this one. Also, I think it looks great.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Carbohydrates posted:

Yeah, wow. That's so radically better that it really just focuses the spotlight on how dogshit the official set is.

edit: new thing.

21341 Hocus Pocus: The Sanderson Sisters' Cottage announced!

I feel like, when we used to say that an upcoming set looked more like a MOC, it was a compliment. Not feeling this one. The roof and rear exterior feel unpolished. The detailing is... okay. It's fine. Not as nice as the Blacksmith, which I think is a natural comparison, and quite a bit more expensive.

this is so fuckin good

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer

the holy poopacy posted:

Honestly it's actually a pretty clever move, it's got a very appreciable millennial fanbase that in my estimation seems to be mostly comprised of people who are open to buying Lego but aren't already buying a ton of it.

I know at least one person who’s one (and so far only) adult LEGO purchase was the Home Alone house. There’s an appeal in those bigger nostalgia sets you can build with your family.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
https://www.bricklink.com/v3/designer-program/series-2/main.page

BDP Series 2, time to judge things! I don't have a dog in this fight since I opted not to resubmit my build, so I can be a bit more objective when I don't view anything as competition, lol.

Still too many gray towers and modulars. I do like the increased variety overall, though - more space, less Western-centric stuff - and I feel like the overall design quality is far improved. I wonder if they spent more time weeding out half-assed submissions? Also, not as many repeats from Series 1 as I feared - lots of cool new poo poo here. This all looks far stronger than Series 1 to me.

Love:

- Aircraft Engines. Looks really satisfying to play with on my desk. Love that it's Technic and inexpensive, both of those being rare among these entries.

- Brick Cross Train Station. I still believe the parts usage (and therefore price) are slightly inflated, but this design still stands far above most here.

- Shotengai Street Market. what the gently caress this is hella cute

- Mushroom House. Mushroom house.

- Hardware Store and Apartment Renovation. Okay, gently caress off. It's a modular and it's too many pieces and it's full of stickers and I usually dislike all that stuff but goddamn it, this is SO GOOD. The thematic elements are so on-point, it's brilliant. A hosed up apartment being sold by a realtor over a hardware store with all the stuff to fix it, that's genius. I love the stupid hosed up apartment. I love the lemonade stand. I love all the signage. I love all the micro builds. The story and sense of humor are doing a lot of heavy lifting here but it works. This is my single favorite design.

Like:
- Heavy Truck Transport. Way better trailer this time around but still too many pieces.
- Imperial Sloop 'Neptune'. Really good implementation of brick-built sails and flags, and the simplified yet semi-functional rigging is cool.
- Medieval Stonemasons Guild. Past the really interesting idea and setup, the actual build looks kind of boring and straightforward.
- Magical Village over the Bridge. Composition is great, colors are lacking for me.
- Rusty Canyon. Way too much parts budget in the terrain.
- Italian Villa. Really impressive landscaping from most angles, too many pieces.
- Glass Studio. Interesting and fun colors, architecture, and details - but too many pieces lol
- A Day at the Park. Ditch the maintenance cart and fix the scale of the picnic table and I'm 100% in.
- Camping Adventure. Cute, well-built, affordable.
- Robio 2024. Cute, poseable, sturdy, good price point!

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Another day, another LEGO announcement that doesn't include the Deku Tree.

Why do you not want my money LEGO? Just let me give you money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Carbohydrates posted:

- Aircraft Engines. Looks really satisfying to play with on my desk. Love that it's Technic and inexpensive, both of those being rare among these entries.
This is strong Visible V8 Engergy and I love it.