Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

lol how is that not Boris' spawn, look at the nose and jaw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Private Speech posted:

Going by Wikipedia but she really doesn't seem to have done much of note:

First True Millenial Lord.

I just don't care how unqualified she is. So what? It's the House of Lords, 25 cunts sit in there because they are high ranking in the Church of England, a church with "According to a study published by the Journal of Anglican Studies...approximately 1.7 million active baptised members", & it's closer to 1.1 million if you get to those who bother to turn up in church as little as once a month. Or in other words under 2% of the population of the United Kingdom. 92 of them are in there because their great x7 grandad was hunting buds with Charles II. Or in the case of the Duke of Norfolk, friend of Richard III.

And that's without touching upon the calibre of Life Peers, a motley mix of failed MPs, party donors & twats: Ian Blair, former Met Commissioner, Lord Falconer, Tony Blair's uni flat mate, so on, so forth. Lord Webber of Weston Super Mare of course.

At least this fail forward grifter isn't old enough to remember World War 2.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Just realised that with Johnson quitting, Trump being indicted and Berlusconi carking it, it's the right-wing populist shithead leader version of Marry, gently caress, Kill.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Diet Crack posted:

There is a genuine family resemblance, but does also look like someone who he'd gently caress. I guess we'll never know, until the twitter meltdown and/or tell-all memoir written with Isabelle Oakeshott.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"looks like Boris would gently caress" narrows it down to

and some of the softer minerals, plus dairy products and baked goods.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Diet Crack posted:

As if Boris Johnson is the type of guy to do things for his kids

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

forkboy84 posted:

And that's without touching upon the calibre of Life Peers, a motley mix of failed MPs, party donors & twats

That's it - just as the unthinking public finally cotton on to how awful someone is, quickly lord them before anything can be done.

ThisBunkCannotSwim
Sep 17, 2010

Get in the bin.

The bungas have left the party
The virgins have all been bed
Red & black lines in the exec box
Berlusconi's dead
Berlusconi's dead

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

"looks like Boris would gently caress" narrows it down to

and some of the softer minerals, plus dairy products and baked goods.

I didn't need to imagine Johnson loving Charles Darwin tbh

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

quote:

Resigning MPs have to apply to Treasury to become Steward of the Chiltern Hundreds or Bailiff of the Manor of Northstead

man silliness is just hard coded into this country

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Can't be sacked as an MP, can't resign as an MP, can't be an MP while holding a royal office, so they have to be granted a royal office.

The other option would be imprisoning them for over a year and a day, but that was even less popular.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

forkboy84 posted:

At least this fail forward grifter isn't old enough to remember World War 2.

I have a softer spot for people that remember World War 2 more than those born in the 50s that insist they lived through the Blitz and use it to justify all manner of hardship inflicted on others in the 21st century.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
https://twitter.com/JakeBerry/status/1667587470353915909

#blobonomics #wokebloberati

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Failed Imagineer posted:

I didn't need to imagine Johnson loving Charles Darwin tbh

evolution was all about darwin noticing subtle changes so it checks out

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The establishment blocked Brexit, great I'm off to live in Spain.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

domhal posted:

#blobonomics #wokebloberati
Another that Boris Johnson would try to gently caress that isn't on the classical tree of life.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Have Boris and Mr Blobby ever been spotted in the same room?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

She looks like his mum and his sister.
He's definitely either slept with her or tried to (and is giving her a peerage to keep her quiet).

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

keep punching joe posted:

The establishment blocked Brexit, great I'm off to live in Spain.

Camrath! You can send me fudge again. If the post office makes a fuss, just show them the MP's tweet. That's official, right?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

kingturnip posted:

He's definitely either slept with her or tried to (and is giving her a peerage to keep her quiet).
It's entirely possible he had an oedipus moment and that's why the lordship is to keep her quiet.

We are currently looking after my gran-in-law's tortoise, and it basically spends all day trying to gently caress a rolled up bit of towel. If we forget to put it out he rams into every door and wall and tries to bite our feet until we do. Once he's had enough, he goes back into his box to sleep.

I feel like if someone had just given Boris the human equivalent of a rolled-up bit of towel, a lot of the last few years political poo poo could have been avoided.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
So that's why Liz stole all the towels.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
MPs literally write all the laws and set the political direction of the country, they're about as establishment as its possible to get without having a crown on your head.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

ThisBunkCannotSwim posted:

The bungas have left the party
The virgins have all been bed
Red & black lines in the exec box
Berlusconi's dead
Berlusconi's dead

Even if no one else got this, I did
I did
I did

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Shyrka posted:

I have a softer spot for people that remember World War 2 more than those born in the 50s that insist they lived through the Blitz and use it to justify all manner of hardship inflicted on others in the 21st century.

I drove past the gates of RAF Scampton today, and every fence, signpost and gate on the A15 is festooned with signs and placards raging about the immigration centre proposed for the site and the people who will be placed within.

It occurred to me how that issue is like at the intersection of all the British Culture War ley lines, like some sort of gammony Stonehenge.

You've got the WW2 Historic Military Base, Home of The Dambusters (which everyone born 1950-1965 treats as if they were comrades in arms). It's got the grave of the dog named after a racial slur Which You Can't Even Put In the Film These Days. It's got the plan to convert those hallowed buildings into an asylum centre. To house people who came here on Small Boats. It's in the middle of one of the most Brexit-voting areas of the country and people are flailing at the lack of Taking Back Control. The original redevelopment plan reeked of Boris-era corruption.

And so on.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Can't be sacked as an MP, can't resign as an MP, can't be an MP while holding a royal office, so they have to be granted a royal office.

The other option would be imprisoning them for over a year and a day, but that was even less popular.

If there's only two resigning positions that seems like it would put a fairly hard cap on how fast you can dump excess MPs.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think it's set up like one of those marble machine toys where one office dismisses the other as their first and only action.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

If there's only two resigning positions that seems like it would put a fairly hard cap on how fast you can dump excess MPs.

I'm pretty sure they just appoint as many MPs as are bailing out to the two offices for minutes at a time until they're all out.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

BalloonFish posted:

I'm pretty sure they just appoint as many MPs as are bailing out to the two offices for minutes at a time until they're all out.

But if they have to ratify the appointment through parliament, at the rate we're going that might still bottleneck the process.

The rate of fire(ing) of the legislature is not normally something that is a concern but I feel like our unique stock and process might make it one.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

But if they have to ratify the appointment through parliament, at the rate we're going that might still bottleneck the process.

The rate of fire(ing) of the legislature is not normally something that is a concern but I feel like our unique stock and process might make it one.

"Air resistance should be the only limiting factor on how quickly we can build cars make MPs resign"
:tesla: / :brexit:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Woman jailed for double the usual sentence for violent offenders for terminating a pregnancy, under the still existent 1861 law, and a reminder that the only authority to even slightly modernize abortion care law in England and Wales since Gillick v West Norfolk in 1985 has been Boris Johnson.

I hope some pressure for legal reform comes out of this. I also hope that people notice the ringing silence of the terf faction on the issue.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

BalloonFish posted:

i think there are only three (?) potential offices you can resign into, so theoretically an mp that fights and wins three by-elections literally can’t ever resign until the next parliament

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

kingturnip posted:

More like gave her a pee-rage :quagmire:

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Guavanaut posted:

Woman jailed for double the usual sentence for violent offenders for terminating a pregnancy, under the still existent 1861 law, and a reminder that the only authority to even slightly modernize abortion care law in England and Wales since Gillick v West Norfolk in 1985 has been Boris Johnson.

I hope some pressure for legal reform comes out of this. I also hope that people notice the ringing silence of the terf faction on the issue.
What makes this especially infuriating is that this occured during the first lockdown, when abortion services basically weren't available. Many women are not even aware they are pregnant by 10 weeks. And wow, I wonder why a woman would ever want to terminate a pregnancy during a pandemic when the world is falling apart? :iiam:

quote:

Journalist from The Times, Hannah Al-Othman, who attended court, reported that the Crown’s case was that the woman knew she was over the 10-week time limit and provided false information when acquiring the abortion pills.

Ms Al-Othman reported that the woman said she did not know how advanced the pregnancy was as she had not been able to attend a scan.

She “effectively gave the prosecution the case” and it may not have reached court if she had not opened up to officers about what happened, Ms Al-Othman added.
:fuckoff:

There also was a Graun article:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jun/12/woman-in-uk-jailed-for-28-months-over-taking-abortion-pills-after-legal-time-limit

This judge does seem to have an axe to grind:

quote:

The judge said there were no sentencing guidelines for the offence, but that the maximum sentence was life imprisonment.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/skippy_0h/status/1668269583973613568?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
i'd say 'what's wrong with these fuckers' but i guess the answer's not really that mysterious
https://twitter.com/JordanPfot/status/1668320014812708865

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

cat botherer posted:

quote:

She “effectively gave the prosecution the case” and it may not have reached court if she had not opened up to officers about what happened, Ms Al-Othman added.
John Stuart Mill wrote a whole thing about how punitive laws that are unenforceable without the honesty of the accused are in effect only a penalty for honesty, way back in the 1850s, so I'd go as far as to say that even the original framers of this poo poo knew exactly what they were doing.

And as is happening in US states like Florida and Texas it's only going to discourage anyone with pregnancy problems from being honest with the medical system, which has it's own obvious major problems.

Oct 4, 2005

Darth Walrus posted:

Keith being a turd once again

He really is the poster boy for the banality of evil, selling out for chump change

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Please enjoy these delicious tears from Nadine Dorries

https://twitter.com/nadinedorries/status/1668339795595075585?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jel Shaker posted:

i think there are only three (?) potential offices you can resign into, so theoretically an mp that fights and wins three by-elections literally can’t ever resign until the next parliament

Why? Nothing stopping you being appointed to the same office several times in a row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Dorries' piss status: boiled