Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

You can get a American-made cast iron skillet that will last your entire life for $20 lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Vox Nihili posted:

You can get a American-made cast iron skillet that will last your entire life for $20 lmao

Yes but the rush of dopamine isn't present like when I swipe my card to pay for my $400 one that comes with a cotton bag.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

i naively thought there's no way this could be real...... incredible........ would love to see the sales figures on this bad boy, anyone buying it deserves to be separated from their $400 (!!!)

https://www.yeti.com/outdoor-living/cookware/22030000049.html

they forgot to turn off reviews and comments lol

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

mad.radhu posted:

they forgot to turn off reviews and comments lol

lmao i saw them earlier, clicked again after your post, and now they're GONE

i saw earlier the average was 1.1 stars

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

goth smoking cloves posted:

I legitimately thought the only non-gaming/not gaming adjacent servers were for drug sourcing or fetish communities

I am in three disc golf discords that I forget about for extended periods of time

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Back when I was in the market for coolers, I read a shitload of cooler reviews, and determined that Yetis are basically 5-7% better at insulation at best. That might make a difference when going on multi-day camping trips or whatever, but will be overkill for most people, especially considering the insane markup.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

no one paying $400 for a cast iron skillet has any idea how to care for one or cook on it

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
Were coolers always so expensive? I don’t remember them being so expensive and now even at Costco they sell coolers for well over $100. I always blamed it on loving Yeti driving up the prices because once other brands saw idiots paying so much they decided they could do it too.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Glumwheels posted:

Were coolers always so expensive? I don’t remember them being so expensive and now even at Costco they sell coolers for well over $100. I always blamed it on loving Yeti driving up the prices because once other brands saw idiots paying so much they decided they could do it too.

$6 baby

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

lmao i saw them earlier, clicked again after your post, and now they're GONE

i saw earlier the average was 1.1 stars

they appear to have hastily thrown together css or something to hide the element which is really loving funny

you can see a whole page of 1 star reviews for about a quarter of a second until the page yeets them away

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Its a hunk of iron lmao at 400 loving dollars

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Look, it's only the fourth most abundant element in the earth's crust, therefore,

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE
I can see the reviews on the yeti web page, currently 34/38 are one star

They are all in the last hour though

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Sure but I’d rather have something a bit more durable and will last awhile just not at $160 price point.

Laughing at the rest of their product pricing too. $200 polyester and rayon blanket and a $300 camping chair that doesn’t rock or recline.

Glumwheels has issued a correction as of 22:29 on Jun 12, 2023

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

You're really paying for the yeti jizz they use to pre-season it

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE
The five star reviews are just pisstakes as well

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The cpi previews and estimates are thinking inflation is accelerating again lol

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Tomorrow will be funny

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

you may be able to get cheaper camping stuff at estate sales or just stealing it from other people

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Glumwheels posted:

Rotomolded coolers are all pretty expensive. If you want a lovely Igloo cooler Walmart has you covered.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

the whole point of a cast iron skillet is it can be beat to loving poo poo and still work great

the people who carefully season and babysit their cast-iron skillets are loving weirdos

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Nothus posted:

For $400, a cast iron skillet better be over 100 years old

they better have machined the cooking surface at that price (they did not)

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

i naively thought there's no way this could be real...... incredible........ would love to see the sales figures on this bad boy, anyone buying it deserves to be separated from their $400 (!!!)

https://www.yeti.com/outdoor-living/cookware/22030000049.html
lol

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Glumwheels posted:

there’s about a zillion $5-20 igloo coolers around. prob could get free ones off Craigslist. hell we still have various coolers from like the 1994 kicking around my parents place that I’ve taken out recently like one with very 80s-90s salmon-neon pink lid

plastic ftw, the forever chemical

I’d guess the more expensive ones may be actual vacuum seams instead of plastic with air cellular voids. you shouldn’t have to drop 3 figures on a plastic cooler even in tyool 2023

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

SKULL.GIF posted:

the whole point of a cast iron skillet is it can be used to beat the loving poo poo out of cattle rustlers and rattlesnakes and still work great

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

PostNouveau posted:

Love the framing on this:

"spending beyond his means on food — chicken breasts, bananas, chips, cereal."

Spendthrift poors buying chicken breasts!

lmfao if we're to the point of shaming people for eating bananas and cereal

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

the people who carefully season and babysit their cast-iron skillets are loving weirdos

The cast iron skillet I cook with was given to my mother by her grandmother in-law (who was a relative of Pretty Boy Floyd). She was told it was to be used to kill my father in his sleep if he ever cheated on her. This was the traditional gift to brides on my dads side.

it’s okay to dish wash them every now and then.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
much like hair or jeans, cast iron is easy: does it look loving grody??? wash that poo poo!! boom, done

somehow people gently caress up all 3 for bespoke raw denim oil seasoning tho

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Rexicon1 posted:

somethingawful.com was born fully shittified

security through obscurity

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Xaris posted:

much like hair or jeans, cast iron is easy: does it look loving grody??? wash that poo poo!! boom, done

somehow people gently caress up all 3 for bespoke raw denim oil seasoning tho

ok I gave it a nice scrub with the steel wool I guess I'm done?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
americas test kitchen has me wanting to buy a carbon steel pan. I like cast iron but am intrigued at something being slightly lighter weight.

Worth it? Yes/No ?

edit: ah gently caress i thought this was the cooking thread. oh well.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
want to see profit margin on cast iron pan

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Slow News Day posted:

I shop at REI a lot and while you do pay a premium on some items, they have an insanely generous return policy and also an annual cash back program that's really good.

Yeti is a dumb brand though.

REI can be cool, but they have insane prices, like $20 for dried soup mix before inflation even was a thing

also hassling you for a membership at every single moment

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

silicone thrills posted:

americas test kitchen has me wanting to buy a carbon steel pan. I like cast iron but am intrigued at something being slightly lighter weight.

Worth it? Yes/No ?

edit: ah gently caress i thought this was the cooking thread. oh well.
they're good, and still cheap. they heat more evenly than cast iron. i rarely use the cast iron.

the black steel radiates differently than stainless. supreme quesadilla experience

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

The only acceptable way to cook is skewering whatever you're eating on a paperclip stuck in a power outlet

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

SKULL.GIF posted:

the whole point of a cast iron skillet is it can be beat to loving poo poo and still work great

They insist it makes it nonstick as they proceed to burn two eggs and stick them to the pan before apologizing and calling the heap of burnt eggs on your plate "scrambled eggs"

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Both loving and hating cast iron is classism.

But I have never regretted my expensive stainless steel set.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Gorson posted:

Discord absolutely needs to die but please kill LinkedIn first I loving hate those psychos.

Yes, linkedin must be purged.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
grew up poor with hand me down cast iron and going to swap meets with my dad and picking up more beat up cookware. You can get cast iron non stick but it needs to be smooth bottomed and you cant achieved that easily with a brand new lodge unless you want to take a grinder to it right after buying.

non stick (teflon and all its permutations) cookware is a waste and a mistake - both because it doesnt tend to last long and because its actively giving erryone cancer. Thanks dupont and 3m.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
The following websites are permitted after the revolution:
Forums with broken CSS
Collections of skull gifs
Zombocom
The non counterrevolutionary parts of wikipedia