Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

smoobles posted:

Eco fascism is cool in theory but in practice we'd probably gently caress it up

you’re probably thinking of eco-authoritarianism and not eco-fascism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003
I just gave birth to quintuplets are they gonna be ok?!

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Soggy Muffin posted:

I just gave birth to quintuplets are they gonna be ok?!

they'll never experience the normalcy responsible for several members of this thread's current grinding dissonance at a future we've all been ingrained to plan, hope, and dream for; only to see it growing darker and more chaotic with every "faster than expected"

so in some specific ways they're almost better off than everyone here

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Popoto posted:

And personally I just like watermelon politics

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

there's not really a good way to appeal to everyone/power. either it's too far off and will be someone else's problem, or it's here now and it's too late so gently caress it. and power will always find a way to be comfortable, even if a couple get knocked off via climate or violence.

what will happen is that things will get catastrophic as a couple of major events happen in rapid succession, with some leading to long-term immediate shifts in population/consumption in the global north, and then things might start to happen quickly

but i'd bet on just lots of war

It'll have to be something that materially affects the economy in ways they can't deny or sweep away, and even then they'll still equivocate and deny even when millions are on the move. Nobody cares about Pakistan, hell there's probably a bunch of Americans who want to destroy it just because.

Of course once megadeath events start happening, the willingness and even ability of the state to render aid will go down, reserved of course only for the wealthiest and whitest places. Puerto Rico and Jackson, MI and New Orleans, are the sacrificial zones now, and this abandonment will widen more and more. Whether people just stay put or whether they all pack up and go north somewhere is anyone's guess. My guess is that they'll be met with violence from the state and the people that are already there, and all points in between.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
And they'll be more than willing to dish out violence to anyone they deem responsible. No points for guessing if they'll actually direct it at the right people.

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

skooma512 posted:

It'll have to be something that materially affects the economy in ways they can't deny or sweep away, and even then they'll still equivocate and deny even when millions are on the move. Nobody cares about Pakistan, hell there's probably a bunch of Americans who want to destroy it just because.

Of course once megadeath events start happening, the willingness and even ability of the state to render aid will go down, reserved of course only for the wealthiest and whitest places. Puerto Rico and Jackson, MI and New Orleans, are the sacrificial zones now, and this abandonment will widen more and more. Whether people just stay put or whether they all pack up and go north somewhere is anyone's guess. My guess is that they'll be met with violence from the state and the people that are already there, and all points in between.

yeah everywhere's just going to get poorer, meaner, and more violent. the ideology of the insiders will become more obviously absurd and impenetrable to outsiders, but this will not significantly inhibit its functioning. there will be millions of private, bespoke apocalypses while brands continue to pursue engagement on social media and all legible economic activity continues to be directed toward maximizing shareholder value during the current fiscal quarter

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

summer's supposed to be hot. :gas:

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fu7jN2_2pE&t=179s

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

cash crab posted:

what is boe, bitchin ocean event?

the blue ocean event is when there is no more (or only a very small amount of) sea ice during the warm season

this is bad because ocean water reflects less heat than ice does (albedo), so it'll cause a positive feedback loop

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

cum jabbar posted:

seems to come from the unfortunate "any coercion is fascism" perspective

that's right

making me do anything as an individual is fascism

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

like why do you think police forces keep growing and getting huge funding increases

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

when the earth is a sauna the only source of protein will be peanuts. the collapse will wipe out people with peanut allergens first

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Approaching middle age and lol at the thought of having to worry about getting old. Least I won’t have to worry about getting dementia.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Elderbean posted:

Approaching middle age and lol at the thought of having to worry about getting old. Least I won’t have to worry about getting dementia.

good news, covid is making dementia more easily attainable for people our age

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Elderbean posted:

actually, young onset dementia seems to be rising considerably

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

"i remember winters"
"sure grandma, let's get you to bed"

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

love living in the ambiguity of "is this a random event or the beginning of the end"

tbf on an individual level this has always been the nature of existence. only the false dream of eternal life through social history presents a world where this isn’t true

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Popoto posted:

which one is from the totalitarian region of France

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

The Voice of Labor posted:

when the earth is a sauna the only source of protein will be peanuts. the collapse will wipe out people with peanut allergens first
oh hell, i love peanuts, this might not be so bad

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

mawarannahr posted:

actually, young onset dementia seems to be rising considerably

yup. early onset dementia and colorectal rear end-cancer rates are blasting off into the stratosphere rn.

probably wont be too long before we have recommended rear end-probes by age of 35. goons should def all get their butts checked if they're 40 or older rn

last i checked early onset dementia rates are up like close to 500% in the under 45 bracket. which admittingly is still very low rates because it was very rare before, so it doesnt' take a whole lot to get four-digit percent-increases, yet there's probably a lot of people who are slowly getting it without realizing it too. then again you could just chalk that up to "ItS BetteR diagnoses!" which... hopefully

Xaris has issued a correction as of 02:53 on Jun 13, 2023

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

i used to wonder if retirement would be possible by the time i hit retirement age

now i wonder if i'll hit retirement age

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I can't prove it but I believe the increase in early onset dementia is because of social media

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thanks - this is supposed to be satire...right?

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

smoobles posted:

I can't prove it but I believe the increase in early onset dementia is because of social media
my theory is that every task that gets automated is a whole physical routine that humans just don't learn to do anymore, so those pathways in the brain don't grow. now everything is automated, even including creative work. we're all just stuck like monkeys in cages doing the same tiny set of movements (typing, driving, video game, gym) over and over and over every single day and it's making our brains wither and die

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.
raise your hand if you’ve died of climate change

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

actionjackson posted:

thanks - this is supposed to be satire...right?

Satire of what? Country music? Because it has a fundamentally positive message?

I'm not sure I entirely understand.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

a strange fowl posted:

my theory is that every task that gets automated is a whole physical routine that humans just don't learn to do anymore, so those pathways in the brain don't grow. now everything is automated, even including creative work. we're all just stuck like monkeys in cages doing the same tiny set of movements (typing, driving, video game, gym) over and over and over every single day and it's making our brains wither and die

technology is the caulk u fill your brain grooves with

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

a strange fowl posted:

I thought I saw in the news you died Mr. K. Good to see you still posting.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

a strange fowl posted:

ok but like, there’s never been a time when every human does every single thing that all the humans need to do. some people just don’t like weaving or hunting or whatever and don’t do those things.

and automation replaces huge numbers of manual workers in factories. but not artisans and hobbyists. we still have people who prepare wool from scratch by hand. mostly for fun!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

ikanreed posted:

Satire of what? Country music? Because it has a fundamentally positive message?

I'm not sure I entirely understand.

more the guy screaming while he's projected in the sky thing

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

actionjackson posted:

more the guy screaming while he's projected in the sky thing

screaming is a thing you do in music sometimes

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

smoobles posted:

which one is from the totalitarian region of France

sir, that's known as a vichy vintage

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

The337th posted:

screaming is a thing you do in music sometimes

ok

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

now that's a parody :hmmyes:

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

ikanreed posted:

I thought I saw in the news you died Mr. K. Good to see you still posting.
i escaped

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

god i still love that so much

remix for our current climate zeitgeist OST, maybe we could get a mod to put it on loop in cspam like a Geocities .midi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfkts0u-m6w

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I'm on an SNRI and the solution is to just take more mushrooms per dose.

Taking more mushrooms is pretty good universal advice.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

RadiRoot posted:

just don’t live in Utah

Mission accomplished!

smoobles posted:

Nah it's the constant covid infections, mainly due to:

tuyop posted:

people still won’t wear a loving mask, don’t worry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008