Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
eh youre a much higher level player than me so ill defer to you but i thought the most egregious thing for supports in ow2 (in gold anyway) was the release power level of sombra. once they obliterated her i dont really notice a difference but i do pride myself on my 180 no scope sleep darts, its my only redeeming skill as a player

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

draeper
Mar 7, 2019

:yosnice:
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/overwatch-2-retail-patch-notes-june-13-2023/824909

quote:

LIFEWEAVER

General
• Petal ornaments on his back have had their size and hit volume reduced by 10%.

Healing Blossom
• Maximum healing increased from 65 to 75.

Thorn Volley
• Damage per projectile increased from 5 to 6.
• Projectile radius increased from 0.1 to 0.125.
• Ammo increased from 60 to 70.

Petal Platform
• Walkable area increased by 15%.
• Area to trigger lift now shrinks from a radius of 2 to 0.75 meters after initial placement.

Life Grip
• Cooldown reduced from 20 to 16 seconds.
• Now heals the target ally for 50 health.

Tree of Life
• Ultimate cost increased by 8%.

Does this save the wifeleaver?

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

They're pay-walling the PvE stuff now.

https://twitter.com/OverwatchNaeri/status/1668399368016371716?t=WXH7hhbCnz7TLsBzo9vlHA&s=19

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

it probably helps but for me the problem with lifeweaver is just he doesnt feel like he has enough utility to be worth picking over anyone else. he'd need to be able to output healing on par with an optimally played moira to even be worth considering.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Ahahahahahahaha

black.lion posted:

new character teaser occurred idt anyone cares enough to warrant posting it

may have a gun or something idk

e:fb
Oh hey it's bangai-o

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I think it's a mission pack and not just one mission, but, uh... lol

e: According to https://www.gameinformer.com/preview/2023/06/12/exclusive-first-hands-on-with-the-pve-story-missions, it's actually a whopping three missions. Nice

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 13, 2023

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
I know he's objectively bad, but I still like playing Lifeweaver, especially if the other tank is Orisa. I pedal her ult every single time and it's always satisfying. I find tree is really solid at finishing out a push by giving your team a safe zone. I try to use life grip sparingly because I know it pisses people off, but it's still great to save someone from death. I'm looking forward to trying him out after the buffs.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Oh was this known already?

Game Informer posted:

If you're strictly into Overwatch 2 for the PvP content, this season also includes Flashpoint, a new PvP core game mode. This mode, which will be available for all players in Quick Play and Competitive Play, adds two new locales that are the biggest PvP maps in Overwatch 2 to date. In Flashpoint, teams fight for control across different positions across the map. The objective is to capture three of them before your opponent. As soon as one is captured, the next one becomes active.

New game mode is TC_Hydro

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

lol thats a big no on paying for some presumably half assed pve ill just watch someone stream it for the lore and be good thanks blizzard

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

one of the core problems of overwatch post-release is there's too much healing combined with damage mitigation abilities, so a tremendous amount of damage almost all players do in a game is just unrewarding and unintuitive trash damage.

on release the only healer characters you had were lucio, mercy, and zenyatta. since then, there has been a massive inflation of healing.

shooting and hitting people, the core fundamental of an fps, being unrewarding in a lot of situations isn't fun. being outnumbered by 1 player and being at a tremendous overwhelming disadvantage because of these mechanics isn't fun.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

comedyblissoption posted:

one of the core problems of overwatch post-release is there's too much healing combined with damage mitigation abilities, so a tremendous amount of damage almost all players do in a game is just unrewarding and unintuitive trash damage.

on release the only healer characters you had were lucio, mercy, and zenyatta. since then, there has been a massive inflation of healing.

shooting and hitting people, the core fundamental of an fps, being unrewarding in a lot of situations isn't fun. being outnumbered by 1 player and being at a tremendous overwhelming disadvantage because of these mechanics isn't fun.

this is a good post and its made me think. idk how 5v5 plays into this but yeah fundamentally with engagements being about how many healing guns vs. damage guns are being trained on my squishies, it makes teamfights feel like more of a target coordination problem than like, wearing down the enemy to the breaking point or anything. I know the devs aren't in the best spot with the community at the moment but I'd love to see them make some pretty major changes with what it means to "outplay" an opponent. so this means: a) get rid of healthpacks b) give every character a support-like healing passive c) refocus support kits on utility abilities, not just raw healing output. I'd like to see going low on health meaning that you need to leave the fight for a little while and reposition, not just that your supports heal bots need to click on you harder for a bit.

Serotoning fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 13, 2023

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

There are people in this thread who think effectively the otherwise, that the game should be less dictated by shooting and hitting people!

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
If you have to pay for "permanent" access to those story missions then does that mean you get "impermanent" access for free?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

leftist heap posted:

There are people in this thread who think effectively the otherwise, that the game should be less dictated by shooting and hitting people!

Most people don't want their game decided by a single cracked out sniper, it's true. On the flip side, most people also don't want the game decided by a Mercy nobody can touch.

The internal balance discussions at Blizzard must be fascinating because they know about all these problems but don't want to change the core identity of their more iconic characters. I'd love to know how much argument went into the Widow nerf.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

This is basically why I liked Gundam Evolution more than Overwatch. Unfortunately the guys who made that game also wanted casual matches to be an hour long and have never heard of a backfill queue.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
I like the amount of counter play in overwatch, even as dps. Their tank is owning? Then switch to Mei or Sombra to make them miserable. Or if they're rein then go bastion to make their shield untenable. I've had so many games where a good switch totally changes the dynamic of the game. I will say that I think open queue is balanced better just because tanks aren't as OP.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
If an enemy Widow headshots me I simply block them.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Overwatch has always struggled to find a balance between being an FPS and being a MOBA.
OW2 is attempting (badly) to lean fully into the FPS camp. Losing the players that wanted the opposite.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I kind of like the stupid long time to kill you get in team fights with 2 decent supports, doesn't feel like any other fps.

So it's 15 bucks for pve and the new latest battle pass? seems fine but I guess it's a big deal if people were expecting it to be free

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

field balm posted:

I kind of like the stupid long time to kill you get in team fights with 2 decent supports, doesn't feel like any other fps.

That only happens when the DPS are stupid enough to not beeline for Supports.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

eh youre a much higher level player than me so ill defer to you but i thought the most egregious thing for supports in ow2 (in gold anyway) was the release power level of sombra. once they obliterated her i dont really notice a difference but i do pride myself on my 180 no scope sleep darts, its my only redeeming skill as a player

She's still pretty ridiculous in the hands of aiming players, tbh. Lost count of the amount of times i've seen sombras on both my team and the enemy murder someone coming out of the enemy spawn and then immediately teleporting back to our now 5v4

Javik the Seer
Oct 11, 2021
There are so many balance and design decisions that I am just at a loss for some of them. A lot are probably my partiality towards or against certain characters, but its crazy that some of these things haven't been done yet.

Why do you start defenders at the far spawn in these cart push maps? What benefit is there to having someone who picks their hero late be super duper far away? Just have them spawn on the first point for defenders and they can spawn further back when they die? A lot of games have had their whole dynamic changed because a tank didn't decide fast enough and now they gotta hustle across the whole map when they could just spawn at the first point and be done. Once the game starts, THEN open up the far spawn. Just a pitfall they create to push players into and it makes no sense.

Why does push mode exist? Why can't players decide which map types they would like to play? Why are so many stats so opaque and hidden from the players? We know they have the data like heat maps and mitigation stats, why hide that stuff?

Going invulnerable should be a huge deal but Blizz's response to any kind of balance challenge anymore is to just "meh, make em immoral/invulnerable/ethereal" instead of mitigation or movement stuff. The amount of just negation that can be done is one o the things that makes the game a bit unfun a lot of times. Their whole philosophy was "favor the shooter" when the game first came out, but they hid the massive asterisks of "unless they use any number of literal get out of jail free abilities we have implemented". Particularly egregious is how long suzu lasts on the invuln, as well as immortality field and moira's dash that can literally traverse vertically an entire flight of stairs without stairs. Just silly stuff.

Snippers have never been fun to play against since they were a thing in like 1994. Since then balancing against them has been a struggle with, in my view, the best iteration being TF2. Immobile, have to hold it down, your reticle is counterable, and there are a bunch of tools to mess with a snipers ability to just delete folks. A high skill player will still have fun, but opponents have plenty of alternatives to deal with them. You see other methods to reign them in with varying degrees of success like in CS:GO making the AWP expensive and restrictive, in Apex they are very rare and have bullet drop, small clip, high reload etc.
What did Blizz do? Lets give her literally zero recoil, allow her to fly into the air to silently change their angle, give her wall hacks (without enemy notification on top of that!) as an ultimate, and give her nearly unlimited range with almost zero counter play from that distance. I just do not understand how they thought this would be fun and the inclusion of this character has likely made other design decisions suffer. Snippers have always been fun to play AS but never to play AGAINST and forcing that type of character into the game was just boneheaded and this change to Widow should have been this way from the get go. Her entire kit should be reworked.

It reminds of how Cassidy (then McCree) could Fan the Hammer and delete literally every character from the game, including tanks, from like 50 meters away, and they had to reduce his damage and falloff. Its like...did you guys even play test this before release? Also in relation to that, how did they think an auto aiming, 10 meter away, ONE HUNDRED THIRTY DAMAGE GRENADE would be a balance improvement over a flashbang? That is basically awarding two free shots to a Cassidy by virtue of pressing the tactical button. I've seen that thing go around corners, just ridiculous stuff.

I know the game isn't going to be perfect and its not always going to be balanced in a way EVERYONE likes. There just seems to be this very intentional..i dunno, ignoring, maybe? Of serious quality of life and balance aspects of the game that a company like Blizz should really know better how to handle. It makes me sad because the characters and world are really cool and they have just drove it directly into the ground due to their greed and mismanagement.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

Rawrbomb posted:

You played 14 games, and lost 2/3rds of them, and you were surprised you ranked down? I'm not sure why you thought you were going to go up.

Mainly because it says rank is adjusted after 5 wins or 15 losses and I did that. They need to clarify it better of how you move up or down in comp.

Never said I deserved to go up, just that I achieved what it said was needed to do that.

Also how many of you play on console vs PC?

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

lol thats a big no on paying for some presumably half assed pve ill just watch someone stream it for the lore and be good thanks blizzard

If it was free I might have tried it for 5 minutes and then abandoned it (just like all the PVE events). Paying? lol

Fundamentally I just want a goofy fun FPS game to relax with and shoot things, not loot boxes and battle passes and all this nonsense. I'd happily have paid 60 bucks for an OW2 that was just a better OW1 but instead they'll never see a dime from me.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
The thing I don’t get and maybe it’s just personal tastes but I feel like they keep all the good skins for the shop. The battle pass always feels like bad value whereas other games with battle passes tend to put way more content in than OW.

I don’t like any of the mythic skins either except for sigma I guess.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Javik the Seer posted:

give her wall hacks (without enemy notification on top of that!)

I agree with most of your post, but this is wrong. Widow gives an ult callout when she activates this (which is heard no matter where you are on the map) and it lasts for about 15 seconds, so if you hear it you just look at your clock and add 15.

The ability is mostly only good because people still go "i bet i can peek this".

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Javik the Seer posted:

There are so many balance and design decisions that I am just at a loss for some of them. A lot are probably my partiality towards or against certain characters, but its crazy that some of these things haven't been done yet.

Why do you start defenders at the far spawn in these cart push maps? What benefit is there to having someone who picks their hero late be super duper far away? Just have them spawn on the first point for defenders and they can spawn further back when they die? A lot of games have had their whole dynamic changed because a tank didn't decide fast enough and now they gotta hustle across the whole map when they could just spawn at the first point and be done. Once the game starts, THEN open up the far spawn. Just a pitfall they create to push players into and it makes no sense.

Why does push mode exist? Why can't players decide which map types they would like to play? Why are so many stats so opaque and hidden from the players? We know they have the data like heat maps and mitigation stats, why hide that stuff?

Going invulnerable should be a huge deal but Blizz's response to any kind of balance challenge anymore is to just "meh, make em immoral/invulnerable/ethereal" instead of mitigation or movement stuff. The amount of just negation that can be done is one o the things that makes the game a bit unfun a lot of times. Their whole philosophy was "favor the shooter" when the game first came out, but they hid the massive asterisks of "unless they use any number of literal get out of jail free abilities we have implemented". Particularly egregious is how long suzu lasts on the invuln, as well as immortality field and moira's dash that can literally traverse vertically an entire flight of stairs without stairs. Just silly stuff.

Snippers have never been fun to play against since they were a thing in like 1994. Since then balancing against them has been a struggle with, in my view, the best iteration being TF2. Immobile, have to hold it down, your reticle is counterable, and there are a bunch of tools to mess with a snipers ability to just delete folks. A high skill player will still have fun, but opponents have plenty of alternatives to deal with them. You see other methods to reign them in with varying degrees of success like in CS:GO making the AWP expensive and restrictive, in Apex they are very rare and have bullet drop, small clip, high reload etc.
What did Blizz do? Lets give her literally zero recoil, allow her to fly into the air to silently change their angle, give her wall hacks (without enemy notification on top of that!) as an ultimate, and give her nearly unlimited range with almost zero counter play from that distance. I just do not understand how they thought this would be fun and the inclusion of this character has likely made other design decisions suffer. Snippers have always been fun to play AS but never to play AGAINST and forcing that type of character into the game was just boneheaded and this change to Widow should have been this way from the get go. Her entire kit should be reworked.

It reminds of how Cassidy (then McCree) could Fan the Hammer and delete literally every character from the game, including tanks, from like 50 meters away, and they had to reduce his damage and falloff. Its like...did you guys even play test this before release? Also in relation to that, how did they think an auto aiming, 10 meter away, ONE HUNDRED THIRTY DAMAGE GRENADE would be a balance improvement over a flashbang? That is basically awarding two free shots to a Cassidy by virtue of pressing the tactical button. I've seen that thing go around corners, just ridiculous stuff.

I know the game isn't going to be perfect and its not always going to be balanced in a way EVERYONE likes. There just seems to be this very intentional..i dunno, ignoring, maybe? Of serious quality of life and balance aspects of the game that a company like Blizz should really know better how to handle. It makes me sad because the characters and world are really cool and they have just drove it directly into the ground due to their greed and mismanagement.

The issue like most things with Overwatch is Blizzard fumbled the bag and took too long from launch and in the meantime Riot dropped Valorant which is the direction OW should've gone (on top of Riot poaching their people by paying more than the lowest wages)

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

SirKibbles posted:

The issue like most things with Overwatch is Blizzard fumbled the bag and took too long from launch and in the meantime Riot dropped Valorant which is the direction OW should've gone (on top of Riot poaching their people by paying more than the lowest wages)

What? Valorant is miserable, no. Some of us like fun battles, not just dying instantly because we moved wrong once or whatever.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

SirKibbles posted:

Valorant and OW are completely different genres, not sure what you mean by 'the direction OW should've gone'. In terms of what?

Javik the Seer
Oct 11, 2021

dogstile posted:

I agree with most of your post, but this is wrong. Widow gives an ult callout when she activates this (which is heard no matter where you are on the map) and it lasts for about 15 seconds, so if you hear it you just look at your clock and add 15.

The ability is mostly only good because people still go "i bet i can peek this".

Not if you are dead, have other ults going off, or sometimes it just doesn't go off. It should be a constant reminder, maybe a haze around the enemy team screen so they know widow can see them. Several times throughout the life of this game I've died to a widow wondering how she saw me when it turns out she ulted when I died or just as i got shot and i didn't know upon respawn she could see me coming through the flank routes and she domes me.

This is actually a problem for a bunch of ults (cassidy, moira), but its more pronounced with widow because hers is actually quieter, lasts longer than others, and you have no way of knowing when its over.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I dunno, i think its just a practice thing. But then again in the elo i'm in people straight up just call it if they're trying to win, so you catch it anyway.

I've won entire games by telling people to stop peeking and let me (the tank) do it and relay information. To the point where i'm going "no, ashe, no, i see you edging towards the edge, patience, not yet" in a kinda blasé relaxed way. Enemy just ends up wasting a solid 20% cap just expecting us to feed :v:

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Javik the Seer posted:

This mfer said Snippers

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

BabyRyoga posted:

Valorant and OW are completely different genres, not sure what you mean by 'the direction OW should've gone'. In terms of what?

In terms of what it seems like Blizzard is aiming for with their balance

Javik the Seer
Oct 11, 2021

dogstile posted:

I dunno, i think its just a practice thing. But then again in the elo i'm in people straight up just call it if they're trying to win, so you catch it anyway.

I've won entire games by telling people to stop peeking and let me (the tank) do it and relay information. To the point where i'm going "no, ashe, no, i see you edging towards the edge, patience, not yet" in a kinda blasé relaxed way. Enemy just ends up wasting a solid 20% cap just expecting us to feed :v:

This defense of "I have to actively relay information that should be readily available to my team mates" isn't as strong a defense as you think it is lol.

leftist heap posted:

This mfer said Snippers

What is wrong with using snipper riffles?

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
One of the things that fascinates and frustrates me about OW is it feels like the kind of game I could "fix" if only given the launch codes. When really I would last a week, nay a day before I realize why things are the way they already are. But it has this purity and internal consistency of design that really tempts the inner game designer in me like no other.

e: the first revelation for me was that every character has the same walking speed (Tracer and Genji are exceptions I think), but it's cut to 90% when walking backwards. So you can always run away from someone but you lose your ability to fight back. If no one had told me this I would have sworn the "bigger" characters walk slower but it's just a camera trick.

My 2nd realization was that it's not a shooter, it's a first person MOBA with a lot of skill shots.

Serotoning fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 13, 2023

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

6v6
everyone is soldier
final destination
no items

the perfect game

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?
I remember when Blizzard found that Widow was so unfun to play against that snipers were being blocked en masse, leading to long queue times for sniper mains.

So, naturally, they removed being able to avoid players.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Cryophage posted:

I remember when Blizzard found that Widow was so unfun to play against that snipers were being blocked en masse, leading to long queue times for sniper mains.

I guess no one really can hide from her sight :v:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Javik the Seer posted:

This defense of "I have to actively relay information that should be readily available to my team mates" isn't as strong a defense as you think it is lol.

It is readily available. The reason i know about the information is because its there. Ranked has people sleepwalking and you have to reinforce it, but that's not a problem with the game not communicating, that's a problem with the player.

Overwatch actually has fantastic sound design, its one of the very few things i'll give it. They've had bumps where characters haven't had differing voice lines depending on what team they're on when they ult (because enemy should always have a different voice line) but they even have things where mercy's healing beam changes pitch depending on how close to full health the enemy is.

Pvt. Parts posted:

(Tracer and Genji are exceptions I think)

Yeah, they're like 5.5 instead of 5, and I don't actually see this communicated anywhere which is dumb, imo

Cryophage posted:

Don't forget that now you can avoid players again, but they somehow made it even worse to do by making you have to navigate more menus to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The majority of balance issues are things Valve figured out with creating TF2 and even released detailed, public design documents and breakdowns of finding and fixing them while Blizzard keeps stepping on rakes over and over. It’s crazy they’re having such trouble with Widowmaker still in the year 2023