Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I'm pretty sure I'd have more luck blindly applying to jobs than I would trying to actually utilize my LinkedIn network in any kind of meaningful way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i got my current job by my manager reaching out to me on linkedin
i don't post on it, just had a simple one paragraph write-up about my background :shrug:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Paradoxish posted:

I'm pretty sure I'd have more luck blindly applying to jobs than I would trying to actually utilize my LinkedIn network in any kind of meaningful way.

I've never had networking generate a lead for me, ever. The times I try to do this I get told no.

Like, one my old job's HR people went to work in another hospital system that was also hiring computer janitors. Great! Sounds like a good match. Wrong, all of us applied and none of us heard one single word back about it.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Koirhor posted:

want to see profit margin on cast iron pan

iron powder is about 100 bucks for a metric ton, enough for about 7,000 3lb pans

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Paradoxish posted:

I got my current job off Indeed. The job required 3 professional references but I had contact info from my last job so I didn't use LinkedIn for that. But I was blindly applying for jobs and this was also past summer before the job market for IT people went sideways. My tech friends who have gotten laid off are having a bad time finding a new gig right now.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

ikanreed posted:

It vaguely resembles the tendency of profit to... Do something?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Democrats continue ruining the economy

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

how is it biodegradable??

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

i am harry posted:

how is it biodegradable??

it dissolves in the environment, you add a couple additives to the material and boom anaerobic digestion such as occurs at the bottom of things… holes, landfills, mudslides… breaks it right up

turns out we have the capacity to make all plastics work this way but whoops

it’s just too darn expensive! shucks!!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

mcdonalds food was hotter and fresher when it used Styrofoam, bring it back

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1668369226111897602?t=YSy85ha-hzQYMKMVrYGkTA&s=19

Lets go Brandon!!!

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

vidcon thread on red alert

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

triple sulk posted:

linkedin is useless now. not even good for connections. it's full of lunatics and grifters

Well are they hiring?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Lessail posted:

vidcon thread on red alert

Nah we have final fantasy and telling someone to gently caress off.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

euphronius posted:

seeing the enshittification effect everywhere and it’s bumming me out

it's like the FedEx arrow in the logo, once you see it, you can never unsee it

especially in America 2023 :patriot:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Went to costco today and i was buying a thing of shiitakes and im fairly certain they made the package smaller. and now im pissed i threw out the last package because I feel like im going crazy

edit: gently caress me they did. Costco online still shows 16oz and the package i got is 12oz - price is still the same at 7.99
edit2:

holefoods posted:

why were you buying those when they’re free in D&D

lmao

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 03:08 on Jun 13, 2023

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

e:^^^ fucccck

silicone thrills posted:

Went to costco today and i was buying a thing of shittakes

you have to buy those?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

holefoods posted:

lol

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Looks like someone is having trouble with WT4

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Koirhor posted:

Looks like someone is having trouble with WT4
haha

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

holefoods posted:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Asproigerosis posted:

The market is very poor at providing radioactive material fwiw

I worked for a company that wanted to make isotopes and I got the feeling the investors were confused that we had to buy real things and put them into a real place and use real inputs to make the isotopes.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

MickeyFinn posted:

I worked for a company that wanted to make isotopes and I got the feeling the investors were confused that we had to buy real things and put them into a real place and use real inputs to make the isotopes.

This probably shows my naivete, but I always assumed that isotope manufacturing would be sufficiently regulated and controlled that anyone seriously considering doing it would have a more solid idea of what was required.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Atopian posted:

This probably shows my naivete, but I always assumed that isotope manufacturing would be sufficiently regulated and controlled that anyone seriously considering doing it would have a more solid idea of what was required.

Well the investors don’t really seriously consider anything except Number Go Up? Y/N

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Wait we need a... factory to make things? What is this, some kind of Martian moon talk? Speak English!

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

We can build a factory
And make misery

e: dammit that's not even the rights lyrics

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1668469349236244481?t=uT2Fd4De_Qw0aaKa_9W8vg&s=19

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

we have to remove the excess credit

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

quote:

“I don’t want to be in debt for a carrot,” he said. “But you have got to do what you’ve got to do.”

The National Anthem for America's indebted. :patriot:

silicone thrills posted:

non stick (teflon and all its permutations) cookware is a waste and a mistake - both because it doesnt tend to last long and because its actively giving erryone cancer. Thanks dupont and 3m.

Learned my lesson after going through two T-Fal skillets that both warped and flaked.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

re rei:

https://www.cascadiadaily.com/news/2023/jun/09/workers-at-bellingham-rei-unionize/

quote:

Workers at Bellingham REI unionize
Store joins California location as one of two union shops on West Coast

REI workers in Bellingham voted to unionize on June 9, joining the outdoor recreational store in Berkeley, California as the only REI locations on the West Coast to join a union.

Bellingham employees voted 40–12 to join United Food and Commercial Workers, Local 3000, which represents retail, health care and grocery workers as the largest union in the Pacific Northwest, a UFCW representative said. The vote count was completed around 8 p.m. on June 9.

REI worker Johnny Cook said staff at the Bellingham store reached out to UFCW after management started reducing hours for most workers.

“We were running into each other at the food bank,” Cook said. “Some of us had to sell back our gear to cover rent. … Only a select handful of people were getting enough hours to even remotely help them pay their bills.”

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

sd6 posted:

Coming from Ventrilo and Mumble, I found Discord's UI insanely confusing. It also had epic gamer memes baked into the UI itself which was cringe as gently caress. I hate that it ever caught on

Discord is the premier place that I go to for high quality illegal streams of Pay Per View sports. Highly recommend it.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

holefoods posted:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

holefoods posted:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/NickTimiraos/status/1668569628530954240?t=Kx-8h7scYDceNZDI11aJIA&s=19

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea
Easily one of the most unhinged twitter threads I've seen in a minute. Chock full of "founders" bemoaning the soft depressed youth for taking care of themselves and not throwing their bodies into the thresher so their boss can make money off their labor.

https://twitter.com/lucy_guo/status/1668284537229508609

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Beached Whale posted:

Easily one of the most unhinged twitter threads I've seen in a minute. Chock full of "founders" bemoaning the soft depressed youth for taking care of themselves and not throwing their bodies into the thresher so their boss can make money off their labor.

Everyone goes into the grinder and then everyone becomes a bitter old person complaining about the youth who are trying not to end up in the grinder.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
if these people are so loving smart, how come they can't get the millennials zoomers to behave the way they want?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Beached Whale posted:

seems like just yesterday it was gen xers and boomers complaining about millennials being "entitled"