Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

What characters would you all say translate the best to modern controls? Or in other words, lost the least?

https://twitter.com/jiyunaJP/status/1667697311080923136

Jiyuna tried to go through this actually, and I think his conclusions are pretty good.

Luke as an example doesn't really lose any tools at all, but you do need to be able to do the perfect charges and stuff to get access to his better combos. He's still great in modern though

Actually it popped into my head this morning when I was getting ready for work, I'm not actually sure how you'd do Menat in modern controls at all. You'd only get a single orb placement, which I guess would probably have to be light since that's the one most commonly used for setups and stuff, but means a bunch of combos with it wouldn't be possible. And I'm not sure how you'd do her VT1 as a super in modern considering it's 6 orbs for 6 buttons. I guess you could make it something like JP where it just auto fires the orbs at a set time but that'd be kinda disappointing.

That super might be kind of an issue in general, as in SFV it's controlled with negative edge (which is off by default), or double tapping which I always found harder than just the negative edge stuff. It'd be pretty supremely disappointing if she didn't get to keep that method of control though because part of what makes the character so fun is freestyling your setups and how you use the orbs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Marisa combo trial is such horseshit aaaaaaargh. Why do you lie, Capcom, the timing on cancelling Magna Bunker (4HP) into H. Gladius (QCF HP) that I can't consistently get it down and when I do I'm so surprised that I flub the input for Goddess of the Hunt. Grumble grumble.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

What characters would you all say translate the best to modern controls? Or in other words, lost the least?

based on my anecdotal experience modern Juri and Jamie seem good

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Medullah posted:

I got placed in Gold with Guile winning 7 out of 10 of my matches, which is hilarious because I really don't enjoy playing him. The few actual Gold matches I've done have shown that it was a mistaken placement heh. And it's especially weird because I won 7 out of 10 with Zangief too and got Silver.

On my third set of placements I went 8-2 and was put in mid-Silver. I don't mind climbing out of the swamp, but that's some inconsistent poo poo.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Anyone worked out wtf to do with Deejay's sway yet? I've tried DRing into people with it but it feels like such a waste of like three other good options in that situation

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

AndrewP posted:

based on my anecdotal experience modern Juri and Jamie seem good

Yeah, Juri loses a special (or two?) but she's still really solid in Modern. Cammy, too.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

I am finding world tour useful as a scrub modern player's quick little taste of a lot of characters. It's helped me get an idea of who to focus on actually learning outside of wt. Like, not Chun li.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Double Bill posted:

On my third set of placements I went 8-2 and was put in mid-Silver. I don't mind climbing out of the swamp, but that's some inconsistent poo poo.

Probably has to do with win streaks. I went on a 7 win streak and lost my next 3 placement matches and got placed in Platinum 2.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Double Bill posted:

I think it's worse if the other way around. There are people who are absolute beginners getting dropped into gold. And as you can't derank from that, are gonna have a rough time learning the game.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I think it depends who you beat as well. You get a range of opponents. Maybe it looks at if you won in two, had a perfect or whatever else as well.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

DeadButDelicious posted:

Marisa combo trial is such horseshit aaaaaaargh. Why do you lie, Capcom, the timing on cancelling Magna Bunker (4HP) into H. Gladius (QCF HP) that I can't consistently get it down and when I do I'm so surprised that I flub the input for Goddess of the Hunt. Grumble grumble.

try doing a half circle forward instead (applies to all forward to qcf inputs when the character also has a dp input)

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Mega Comrade posted:

I think it's worse if the other way around. There are people who are absolute beginners getting dropped into gold. And as you can't derank from that, are gonna have a rough time learning the game.

They should maybe put in an option to reset your LP to 0 after you have done placement matches, in case of flukes like this. Also, in case of people who want to switch control schemes and start over. Like, switching from modern to classic in Silver 5 and losing down to Silver 1 was pretty demoralising and I would've probably had a better time just starting from 0 LP again.

Would also be useful for people coming back from a long break from the game but want to use the same character.

Just don't let people do placements again to avoid gaming the system to skip ranks endlessly.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Mega Comrade posted:

Yeah I've run into a few of those as I've been climbing up and I feel really bad for them. It's gotta be pretty frustrating when you're still getting the absolute basics and getting positively exploded

Has anyone seen an event fire in the battlehub at all? I check every day when I play but I've yet to see one available to play. I'd really like to try them too..

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Cat Machine posted:

Anyone worked out wtf to do with Deejay's sway yet? I've tried DRing into people with it but it feels like such a waste of like three other good options in that situation

Don't throw it out raw in neutral, you'll get blown up. Cancel into it from normals to mix up blocking opponents. OD sway into the heavy kick variation is your big damage option in combos if you don't mind spending drive gauge (if you do, stick with machinegun upper). That initial hit of the OD version works as a spicy anti-air as well. Since the whole thing lasts 1000 years during which the game doesn't really care about directional inputs you can keep charging. The juggle of the heavy kick version is also pretty sweet, allowing a bunch of corner carry or side switch options with the help of drive rush afterwards.

The command dash is also a neat tool to bamboozle projectile users - it even goes through JP's spikes. Or you can go like 5HP -> OD sway -> Command dash -> H Jackknife Maximum on punish counter for a nasty lil sideswitch.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Gunder posted:

How many of you aren't going anywhere but the Fighting Grounds? I haven't felt the need to do anything other than training or online matches so far. I guess the world tour stuff just doesn't appeal to me. Having a lot of fun though.

I've never installed WT mode to save hard drive space. All of my play time is player lobbies, training, ranked and Battle Hub, which is actually kinda fun since it actually works unlike the strive lobbies.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

In Training posted:

I've never installed WT mode to save hard drive space. All of my play time is player lobbies, training, ranked and Battle Hub, which is actually kinda fun since it actually works unlike the strive lobbies.

The lobbies are insanely good in this game and it's amazing how snappy they are.

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl
Catching up on the thread:

Cammys don’t seem that uncommon to me and I’ve seen high plat and higher streamers say she’s good. I’m bad so can’t say for myself but she seems fine? As a noob Marisa player her mixups can be annoying to deal with (same with most of the rushdown characters tbh).

I think win streaks count for a lot of RP which is why some people are feeling the placements are inconsistent.

Speaking of, I went on an 11 win streak in ranked last night for the first time ever in a fighting game for sure. The only other fighting game Ive put any time into is SFV a year or two ago where I lost 90%ish of my matches and was forever stuck at the bottom of bronze. My placements in SF6 with Marisa put me in iron. That 11 win streak moved me all the way up to Bronze 5 and although I lost the streak I managed to get to silver after a few more matches.

I attribute this to the game being so god drat good at onboarding. Playing almost all of world tour mode gave me the experience, adaptability, and probably most importantly confidence to go into fights with a general plan and some competence. Modern controls are a godsend; largely because it makes punishing so much easier and removed the tension of praying I don’t drop my combo while also removing that particular psychological variable of beating myself when I DID drop a combo. Then of course there’s the fighting grounds with character tutorials which both help you understand how to play your character and what the other characters strengths are so you can figure out how to deal with them. Was excited for this game because of all the offline features and did not expect at all to be having a great time playing online, but I am and that’s awesome. Good game.

I really hope Tekken 8 at least has a similar character tutorial mode because those games seem rad, although a lot of that is probably just the soundtrack for me. Wish Namco didn’t take all their Tekken stuff off Spotify.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Weird Pumpkin posted:

https://twitter.com/jiyunaJP/status/1667697311080923136

Jiyuna tried to go through this actually, and I think his conclusions are pretty good.

Luke as an example doesn't really lose any tools at all, but you do need to be able to do the perfect charges and stuff to get access to his better combos. He's still great in modern though

Thanks! Surprised to see Lily so high, I wasn’t gelling with her at all. Must just be a playstyle/lack of experience thing

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Thanks! Surprised to see Lily so high, I wasn’t gelling with her at all. Must just be a playstyle/lack of experience thing

No. 1 thing with Lily is you need to be getting wind at basically all times

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

The video covers his logic - generally the ones he ranks higher lose fewer fundamental tools from modern and benefit from simplified inputs (ex. Lily and Gief’s 360s). Charge characters still need to charge in Modern, thus why so many of them are in the bottom category.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

She loses out on very little compared to the rest of the cast. So you gain 1 button dp and some other shortcut things without losing out on anything worthwhile. I debated switching my lily to modern but I just can't figure out how to make modern feel good on stick without messing up my classic character muscle memory.

Keegers fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jun 13, 2023

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Tortolia posted:

The video covers his logic - generally the ones he ranks higher lose fewer fundamental tools from modern and benefit from simplified inputs (ex. Lily and Gief’s 360s). Charge characters still need to charge in Modern, thus why so many of them are in the bottom category.

Yeah, it's just looking at how completely you could play a character using only modern controls and minimal motions

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Jack Trades posted:

That's the life of the blanka player.

Uwo!!

morestuff posted:

No. 1 thing with Lily is you need to be getting wind at basically all times

I'm a vegetarian lager drinker in my 40s, that won't be an issue.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Gunder posted:

How many of you aren't going anywhere but the Fighting Grounds? I haven't felt the need to do anything other than training or online matches so far. I guess the world tour stuff just doesn't appeal to me. Having a lot of fun though.

Im grind wt a bit but yeah i do all my online via fg. The hub is too annoying to navigate

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cat Machine posted:

You use it in block string when you cant open them up with the high/low mix

You use it full screen to dash in with the forward punch run

You use it in combo for big damage with the ex version of the launcher

You use it empty, no follow up, in drive rush to back off if you do not actually want to go in.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Gunder posted:

I opened WT once and it made me watch a cutscene and I haven't opened anything other than FG since

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Im grind wt a bit but yeah i do all my online via fg. The hub is too annoying to navigate

The battlehub stuff works really well imo, but it's really, REALLY hard to find even matches there which is a shame as I'd really love to run some longer sets with people.

I could use discord for that too, but man it'd be cool to be able to just find a random person and play a long set if there was a better way to search

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

You use it in block string when you cant open them up with the high/low mix
See this and the 'cancel into it during a string' advice is what's throwing me. Is there an advantage to sway instead of just moving back manually and catching them with a button? Is it just the advantage the launcher brings?

The_Fuzzinator
Oct 9, 2007

I know now why you Cuddle. But it's something I can never do.

Cat Machine posted:

See this and the 'cancel into it during a string' advice is what's throwing me. Is there an advantage to sway instead of just moving back manually and catching them with a button? Is it just the advantage the launcher brings?

the advantage of the specific moves you can do off of sway, While it also being faster than manually walking back as it lets you cancel the ending frames of buttons.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

In Training posted:

I wish they'd make the lobbies like mini battle hub rooms too so you can run around

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Weird Pumpkin posted:

The battlehub stuff works really well imo, but it's really, REALLY hard to find even matches there which is a shame as I'd really love to run some longer sets with people.

I could use discord for that too, but man it'd be cool to be able to just find a random person and play a long set if there was a better way to search

i believe you can search the player list in a given server by rank, and anyone who's within your approximate LP range will have a golden glow on their cabinet

i treat battle hub as the for fun mode where you're just seeing who you get and having a good time otherwise, just like a regular ol' arcade

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

The_Fuzzinator posted:

the advantage of the specific moves you can do off of sway, While it also being faster than manually walking back as it lets you cancel the ending frames of buttons.
Ahh of course, yeah. I was wondering why the strat wasn't to use LK sobat as a cancel instead.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Cat Machine posted:

Canceling out of a button means you don't have the recovery frames of that button. It also means you may be plus in a situation where you'd normally be minus, but I don't know DeeJay's frame data enough to say where that would be applicable.

Also I think sway gives you unique moves you don't normally have access to like the overhead and stuff right? It's just one of your mix up tools that you can pull out

Vermain posted:

i believe you can search the player list in a given server by rank, and anyone who's within your approximate LP range will have a golden glow on their cabinet

i treat battle hub as the for fun mode where you're just seeing who you get and having a good time otherwise, just like a regular ol' arcade

Oh I didn't realize you could search a server, that's cool. I thought the glow was bonus kudos or something for playing using it? I know there's an icon for similar rank people though, but it's just hard to find since people are scattered across so many different lobbies and such as well

It's definitely where I go to just play some low stakes matches for sure though

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Sway has your only grounded overhead.

The built-in shimmy of the backwards move can be useful too, but it's both a little big brain and most useful at that jab/throw range anyway.

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 13, 2023

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Lichtenstein posted:

Sway has your only grounded ovehead.
Ohhhhhhh poo poo. Now I get it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

DeadButDelicious posted:

After strugglebutting for an hour on a single combo trial I have resolved to watch another human do them first because I watched a YouTube where the guy pointed out "while in this other animation you can hold parry and the drive rush will come out as soon as possible" and I got it on the next attempt lol

And I'm going through them as like training modules on execution but I am not really trying to learn them since a lot of them are extremely strict on links, the ones on supercombo and fgc YouTube are more "these you can probably do in a real match consistently"

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

After strugglebutting for an hour on a single combo trial I have resolved to watch another human do them first because I watched a YouTube where the guy pointed out "while in this other animation you can hold parry and the drive rush will come out as soon as possible" and I got it on the next attempt lol

And I'm going through them as like training modules on execution but I am not really trying to learn them since a lot of them are extremely strict on links, the ones on supercombo and fgc YouTube are more "these you can probably do in a real match consistently"

A lot of times combo trials are more for the ideas behind them than doing the actual combo in a real match. But you can definitely steal some ideas and implement them when you get a weird hit or something

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cat Machine posted:

You cant do an overhead without sway so no one will block high if you try to do a regular shimmy and mix that way, and the low sway follow up, funky slicer, can be cancelled into a lvl3 i think

Edited for truth cause i misread some thing

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 13, 2023

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

https://twitter.com/Remy2FANG/status/1668445962791174144?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

You cant do an overhead without sway so no one will block high if you try to do a regular shimmy and mix that way, and the low sway follow up, funky slicer, can be cancelled into a lvl3 i think
Thank you. That makes a lot of sense. I think my misconception was that the move just had the option to follow up with standard Deejay strikes rather than moves with unique properties.