Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

It's interesting how tech companies are the most rabid enforcers of western chauvinism.

Like how Adobe cut Venezuela off from the lovely always online photoshop service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Adobe was kind enough to make photoshop etc free to Russians affected by sanctions))

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

BULBASAUR posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Starfield/comments/147dits/portraits_of_gagarin_and_tereshkova_removed_from/

Couple russian sites picked it up, but its pretty minimal coverage. Best part? They kept an AK and Vintorez in the game.

gun fetishism overrides all ideology

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Marenghi posted:

I just remembered Bob Hoskins played Krushchev in that as a Cockney gangster who didn't care about Soviet lives. Which is exactly how he played Stalin in Death of Stalin.

Being a cockney gangster Soviet leader must be the most niche type-casting there is.

:thunk:

not sure Bob Hoskins was available for Death of Stalin

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

KomradeX posted:

There's already people who will tell you Stalin was going to do a second holocaust but did before it could start

I remember in the late 90s / early 00s there was a mildly popular contrarian take that according to some Soviet documents the USSR was planning to invade [Nazi-occupied] Europe in 1942/1943, and so Hitler was actually launching a defensive+preemptive war when he invaded

it would cite things like the forward deployment of Soviet forces in occupied Poland and the post-Great Purge reforms as "evidence" of an impending invasion

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Marenghi posted:

I think the idea that the Soviets had machine gun emplacements to the rear ready to mow down dozens of fleeing soldiers was a bit of Hollywood fiction popularized by the movie 'Enemy at the Gates'

As was the whole 2 guys get 1 gun and a couple rounds of ammo bullshit.

Basically that movie *sucked*.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

I remember in the late 90s / early 00s there was a mildly popular contrarian take that according to some Soviet documents the USSR was planning to invade [Nazi-occupied] Europe in 1942/1943, and so Hitler was actually launching a defensive+preemptive war when he invaded

it would cite things like the forward deployment of Soviet forces in occupied Poland and the post-Great Purge reforms as "evidence" of an impending invasion

Are they also suggesting that invading Nazi Germany was a bad idea and that everyone should have just left them alone?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

KomradeX posted:

There's already people who will tell you Stalin was going to do a second holocaust but did before it could start

This was specifically promoted by Israel and the US Israel lobby in the 60's and 70's though I don't remember the specifics

e: Actually the Cold War RUSI study of the Soviet Military takes a few pages to mention, in what I would characterize as disappointment, that Jewish soldiers and officers that left the Soviet Union for Israel report no ill treatment within the Soviet military, contrary to the widespread abuses of earlier (so pre 80's I guess) defectors, who said a second holocaust was imminent.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 16:28 on Jun 13, 2023

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

lobster shirt posted:

i just assumed blomkamp was racist because he is south african

this is why I like Elysium for its accurate portrayal of white South Africans

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

CongoJack posted:

this is why I like Elysium for its accurate portrayal of white South Africans

I dunno, the Boers in Elysium were more sympathetic than the liberals.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I liked how blunt & unsubtle the message was in Elysium, wish we were in a world where it was a huge hit and all the celebrities had to tiptoe around the plot Parasite style

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Marenghi posted:

I just remembered Bob Hoskins played Krushchev in that as a Cockney gangster who didn't care about Soviet lives. Which is exactly how he played Stalin in Death of Stalin.

Being a cockney gangster Soviet leader must be the most niche type-casting there is.

He also played Beria in The Inner Circle iirc

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
BOB HOSKINS DID NOT PLAY STALIN IN DEATH OF STALIN

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

"The world is a vampire," Bob Hoskins as Joseph Stalin in The Death of Stalin

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Bob Hoskins posted:

Stalin posted:

"The death of one man is a tragedy, the death of millions is a statistic."

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

Just lazily rename it the Rushin' River

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

It's a me, stalino!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Hatebag posted:

It's a me, stalino!

actually it's called Donetsk now

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

as a condition to Ukrainian surrender, Kyiv must now be called Chicken Kiev

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Zedhe Khoja posted:

rename it Keefe

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

AfD is high on their own supply and have been riling up Polish nationalists with the exact same kind of Nazi rhetoric the post-war Christian Democrats used to say they were gonna take back Silesia.

https://twitter.com/acczibit/status/1667149690213728257?s=20

Poland just officially renamed Kaliningrad Oblast to "Krolewiec" as a based dunk on Russia or whatever. Leave it to the Poles not to realize the obvious consequences of opening that can of worms.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

January 6 Survivor posted:

What fascist, ultra right wing rag attempting to relativize the holocaust as not all that bad actually this from you might ask? well it's the guardian, of course

rules-based international order

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

It's interesting how tech companies are the most rabid enforcers of western chauvinism.

Like how Adobe cut Venezuela off from the lovely always online photoshop service.

“go fast break things” means every tech company is in violation of various laws and regulations at any given time. they know they need to keep the government very happy on what the government really cares about.

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Putin just did a Q&A with war correspondents. Haven't watched it yet because I'm watching the Warcraft movie, but maybe someone can already dig up a summary.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah I saw some quotes from it, but was too lazy to post them.

Most of it seemed same as usual.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

tazjin posted:

Putin just did a Q&A with war correspondents. Haven't watched it yet because I'm watching the Warcraft movie, but maybe someone can already dig up a summary.

did u like the murloc?

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

I saw some line like "If we decide to March on Kiev, we'll need another mobilisation" fly by, but not sure what the context was.

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Tankbuster posted:

did u like the murloc?

no spoilers !!

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
There was a big claim of 50% of the offensive force being knocked out of action, and another call for a “buffer zone” in Ukrainian territory.

Otherwise, it seems mostly the same. He did say Russia would mobilize up to 2 million if it wanted to but I think it was more rhetorical.

Also, he claimed 150,000 signed up for contracts.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 17:21 on Jun 13, 2023

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Ardennes posted:

There was a big claim of 50% of the offensive force being knocked out of action, and another call for a “buffer zone” in Ukrainian territory.

Otherwise, it seems mostly the same.

I'm hearing this 50% estimate being kicked around, I think if anything it applies to the so-called "breaching force" of 3 brigades.. supposedly Ukraine is keeping 6 brigades in reserve as the force to drive the Russians back when the breach is made.

Doesn't seem like it's going to get off the ground.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

tazjin posted:

I saw some line like "If we decide to March on Kiev, we'll need another mobilisation" fly by, but not sure what the context was.

Saw someone interpret it as "We're not marching on Kiev" because he also said there won't be another wave of mobilization for context.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
wonder if its trying to get the guys who are upset because Russia isn't blowing enough of Ukraine up to understand what it would mean to escalate. From what I can tell he's having to walk a balance between Russia's ultralibs that want to unconditionally surrender to NATO and the ultranationalists that want to carpet bomb Ukraine and then invade Poland.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Weka posted:

Balkenkreuz.

Consciousness is just along for the ride and only appears to have decision making capabilities? That is a typical stemlord answer. I don't like it though because it doesn't allow for morality and seems to fly in the face of lived experience.

It's the only explanation that currently makes sense based on the speed our brains fire off.

Consciousness isn't the end all be all of your brain making choices for you.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

wonder if putin has seen the warcraft movie

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Starsfan posted:

I'm hearing this 50% estimate being kicked around, I think if anything it applies to the so-called "breaching force" of 3 brigades.. supposedly Ukraine is keeping 6 brigades in reserve as the force to drive the Russians back when the breach is made.

Doesn't seem like it's going to get off the ground.

There is a lot more than 3 brigades involved, it seems it applies to the main 9-11 brigades.

The buffer zone claim indicates that the current goal is conquest but “demilitarization and denazification” along with I guess the borders of the current annexed oblasts and I guess 100-150 km buffer zone on top. I could never see Ukraine or the West signing on to that.

samogonka
Nov 5, 2016

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

AfD is high on their own supply and have been riling up Polish nationalists with the exact same kind of Nazi rhetoric the post-war Christian Democrats used to say they were gonna take back Silesia.

https://twitter.com/acczibit/status/1667149690213728257?s=20

Half the country would celebrate if Poland flattened Berlin

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The Oldest Man posted:

rules-based international order

Sometimes the rules say kill all the Jews and you just have to follow the rules in our rules based order.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
lol those people are deranged

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/164999338-the-snow-forest

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Hatebag posted:

It's a me, stalino!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

want to know WHAT IS THE RUSSIAN SOUL?? “Standing in the early hours On May 14, 2023, over 1,452 children suffered in Ukraine as a result of the large-scale military aggression of the Russian Federation. According to the official information of the juvenile prosecutors, 481 children perished and over 971 were injured at a different degree of severity»

come on, support the murderers and terrorists, well done