Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
As far as the average war booster is concerned, communism lost in the 90's and is proof that communism doesnt work, but also russia is still communist and only does capitalism as a joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

mawarannahr posted:

interesting how the nafo subreddit is like the only one still open

Like all the ones focused on the ukraine war. /r/worldnew and /r/ukraine as well.

Pretty sure they think they are a valuable part of the Ukrainian fighting force and can't shut down lol

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Thoguh posted:

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1668676547585224704?s=46&t=vNKUIzc4nvqsPFaYLiXegw

So this is the US laying the groundwork to leave Ukraine to it’s own devices, right?

Countdown till WSJ says Ukraine attacked the dam and provides pretense for US to leave.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Thoguh posted:

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1668676547585224704?s=46&t=vNKUIzc4nvqsPFaYLiXegw

So this is the US laying the groundwork to leave Ukraine to it’s own devices, right?

that’s how I read it

face saving retreat

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Regarde Aduck posted:

how did Lenin get roped into this mess? Do they know he's dead?

Lenin? More like Lenout.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I mean it’s probably true Biden told them not to do it (becuase he was already going to do it )

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

i'm just a dumb civvie but it always seem remarkable both what satellites can see (remember those satellite images of Iran, i think, Trump presented that looks like someone had photographed them from a low flying helicopter) and what they still can't. They're amazingly omniscient until they're not. I guess atmospherics plays a major part?

A satellite or drone is the same as a reconnaissance plane/chopper except nobody's life is endangered. Camouflage and misdirection are just as effective as they've always been. Recon photos can't tell you which holes are manned, which mine fields are full, which vehicles are real etc. It's made the cycle of gathering data -> formulating a plan much faster but it's still the same stuff.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Regarde Aduck posted:

i'm just a dumb civvie but it always seem remarkable both what satellites can see (remember those satellite images of Iran, i think, Trump presented that looks like someone had photographed them from a low flying helicopter) and what they still can't. They're amazingly omniscient until they're not. I guess atmospherics plays a major part?

unless they're out of ammo they still have a few toys like himars which should be able to hit Russian guns, but they don't have many so it probably doesn't make a difference.

they can look anywhere pretty much but they can't look at everything at once + weather + orbit & orbit period are the limiting factors yeah

from what I've read about the amount of surveillance satellites up (there's like 20+ keyhole sats across nato countries afaik ) there's enough coverage to watch an area just about non-stop if weather permits, like sub 1-hr gaps in coverage, but watching things like the whole front or a significant portion in detail just isn't really possible without orders of magnitude more stuff in orbit

the globalhawk drones can also image a stupid amount of ground in 3d-parallax composite FLIR superhigh detail (they're claimed to be able to photograph roughly the sq mileage of Iceland every 24hr, so maybe more or less but a lot) but they've gotta sit over the black sea & poland so they can't look everywhere they wanna & there's still the limiting factor of how many people can look at the imagery and signal data and all that to and extract useful information from it before it's useless just like with satellites

i might be wrong tho about anything/everything here because I've only read about that stuff some & it was a while back

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Raccooon posted:

Like all the ones focused on the ukraine war. /r/worldnew and /r/ukraine as well.

Pretty sure they think they are a valuable part of the Ukrainian fighting force and can't shut down lol

Interestingly, the warhammer fantasy sub is down but the 40k one is still up

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
now that the offensive is looking stalled, its time to unsheathe that sharpened knife

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Futanari Damacy posted:

I have always maintained that a smarter leadership interested in the safety of its people would have surrendered, and I don’t think the Russians ever intended to attack Kiev- the crux of the “feint” was wrongly assuming the Ukrainian leadership would have done the reasonable thing to prevent a needless and bloody conflict. Basically it was both smart to pretend to attack and to not actually attack; Z and co. being crazy doesn’t make it a dumb strategy!

Idk I think the Russians were expecting a total collapse where then they could dictate terms unconditionally, and if they got high off their success enough who knows what they could have done. Plus I suspect that would have been deeply unpopular with a lot of the Ukrainian populace. My read is Putin basically expected a repeat of Afghanistan but massively guessed wrong on how weak and illegitimate the government was. Now of course Zelensky et al probably should have worked out a cease fire after that, assuming their NATO backers would have let them and the Russians were willing to call it even, but I dont think that trying to resist from the start was entirely crazy

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Thoguh posted:

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Tankbuster posted:

did u like the murloc?

it was a nice touch.

overall decent movie, but happy that I watched it on the second screen while working instead of giving it 100% attention. would watch a followup if there was one.

also the russian dub was weirdly inconsistent around usage of formal/informal language.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Raccooon posted:

It's because all of those big subreddits are totally captured by various agencies and corporations and their only purpose is astroturfing. So of course they aren't shutting down.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Thoguh posted:

aren't they setting up another weapons package delivery tho? surely they'll stick it out until at least the election...

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/06/04/daniel-ellsberg-final-advice-00099639

Someone interviewed Ellsberg about his career.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Thoguh posted:

Declares Ukraine blew up the pipeline -> triggers Article 5 -> Southwestern Poland is at last restored.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

tazjin posted:

it was a nice touch.

overall decent movie, but happy that I watched it on the second screen while working instead of giving it 100% attention. would watch a followup if there was one.

also the russian dub was weirdly inconsistent around usage of formal/informal language.

with the benefit of hindsight, warcraft was born to be a netflix show.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Lostconfused posted:

Satellites generate a lot of data, but someone still needs to interpret it and find anything useful in it.

Those are balls.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Thoguh posted:

lmao the US is throwing them under the bus and dusting their hands off

sorry ukraine, taiwan is more important now

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Thoguh posted:

Russian news is reporting that Western outlets are reporting that "Zaluzhny was personally responsible" for the Nordstream attack. Since he seems to actually be out of the picture, they might try to do a setup where this already (brain?)dead guy becomes the fall guy.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Seyser Koze posted:

Interestingly, the warhammer fantasy sub is down but the 40k one is still up

The emperor shall keep the APIs open

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
i would like to think that by personally responsible they mean that zaluzhny literally dived down there and bombed the pipeline himself, and forgot his boot

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Thoguh posted:

I'll believe it when the checks and equipment stop flowing. Seems like just CYA otherwise

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

yellowcar posted:

lmao the US is throwing them under the bus and dusting their hands off

sorry ukraine, taiwan is more important now

Oh thank god, my condolences to everyone from China or with relatives living there.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

this picture is like 2 years old, right

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Nix Panicus posted:

An Explosion on This Wonderful Leopard!

lmfao

Crimson Demons-rear end war

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

lmao

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Enjoy posted:

yea but it’s still pretty funny

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

tazjin posted:

Russian news is reporting that Western outlets are reporting that "Zaluzhny was personally responsible" for the Nordstream attack. Since he seems to actually be out of the picture, they might try to do a setup where this already (brain?)dead guy becomes the fall guy.

depending on his actual status this sounds very plausible

unfortunately it also means it'll be neatly dealt with and the war can continue

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

CongoJack posted:

yea but it’s still pretty funny

just gives me strong

vibes at this point

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

1stGear posted:

Scratch a liberal and you'll probably find an extremely cool guy with cool opinions underneath.

She's a published author who writes steampunk stories about a fantasy Ukrainian kingdom. Literally on the same level as the guys who write Russian military sci fi about a paratrooper going back in time to save Tsar Nicholas.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

dad just went out for a pack of smokes, he'll be back any minute

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

curious how imgur doesn't load if I'm connected to a VPN in Sweden, but does load if I'm just using my normal home connection. normally western sites block russia, not other western countries :magemage:

Regarde Aduck posted:

depending on his actual status this sounds very plausible

unfortunately it also means it'll be neatly dealt with and the war can continue

if they finally announce his status in the next few days, we'll probably know that that's what they're going for

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Regarde Aduck posted:

well i always wondered in western propaganda was just for the plebs but this was answered it, turns out propaganda remains dangerous to the propagandizer if their own society has been allowed to become educationally deficient and feckless

This is exactly what happened to the Nazis. The Gestapo was so heavily politicized, for instance, that they preferred promoting guys who believed in race theory.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

from what I recall it did poorly everywhere outside of China where it did gigantic numbers for some reason

the reason is because china is racist

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

John Charity Spring posted:

The Last Ringbearer, which is a Russian book (tellingly!!)

seriously though it's not very good, it's kind of a waste of the concept

so what youre saying is that its kind of like harry potter and the methods of rationality

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Horizon Burning posted:

and is now doing a gran turismo film

did those games have plots i thought they were just fancy car sims

Horizon Burning posted:

i think blomkamp was also dogged by racism complaints in d9 and chappie, too.

not gonna lie the bit where the black gangsters talk about eating the main character to acquire his powers definitely had me going uhhh

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Enjoy posted:

I've been posting it for at least a year and have no idea where it came from originally

Some Guy TT posted:

did those games have plots i thought they were just fancy car sims

It'll be the tragic story of how the first two entries were the best racing games ever to that point and then a long slow decline to the present day

4 and 5 were also pretty sick I guess but by that point there was more competition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Raskolnikov38 posted:

from what I recall it did poorly everywhere outside of China where it did gigantic numbers for some reason

lots of chinese gamers were introduced to western fantasy via warcraft 3. It was the same for much of the third world. Pre diablo 3 blizzard had the best bang for buck entertainment value from their games.