Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Miguel is an antagonistic force to Miles, but probably not out of any secret evil motive like he's a vampire or being mind-controlled or anything. Dude's just an edgelord who suffered a brain-breaking tragedy and in classic Spider-man fashion tried to extract some meaning and inner resolve from it. He just put the cart too far before the horse and has come to the conclusion that suffering is not only inevitable, but necessary. Ironically, it takes the sting of responsibility out of his actions if it's just part of a cosmic order he has to support, like some OCD thing where if seemingly arbitrary things don't happen a certain way then something bad will happen. Or put another way, it's the classic "Suffering's good for you. I suffered, and it made me the man I am today. It must have, otherwise what was it all for?"

Compare this to The Spot, who also experiences brain-breaking tragedy and by the end extracts the meaning that suffering is an end in itself, and his only goals with his godlike power is just to ruin Miles' life. He felt empty, and the thing he found to fill the hole was... more holes.

Asterite34 fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Captain Jesus posted:

Plus, correct me if I'm wrong (because I can't remember this part all that well), Miguel THINKS HE destroyed that universe because he wanted to replace another version of himself that died and because he wanted to have a family. He thought it was ok, but HE BELIEVES it had catastrophic results. This mirrors the story of Kingpin in the first movie, not Miles.

Added an important correction that is imo the crux of the whole thing.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
In Gwen's prologue, was it Ned Leeds tormenting Peter in the place of Flash?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

BizarroAzrael posted:

In Gwen's prologue, was it Ned Leeds tormenting Peter in the place of Flash?

Yes.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Gwen's theme is so loving good.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I want to visit melty paint world

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

teagone posted:

Gwen's theme is so loving good.

Yeah the track with her theme and vultures is a fun mix

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I didn't make the connection with Miguel and Kingpin until now and god dammit it's so obvious

Personally I'm hoping Miles' parents get to meet Peter B and May, for hilarious parenting talk and a reason to anticipate/dread spider-grandkids.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Woke up from a dream where I finally got to see part 2 and it turned out it was only 30 minutes long. I was really pissed lol

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Good on the dad for taking his wife's surname so he no longer has to be Jefferson Davis. It had to be hard growing up Black with that one.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I noticed last night watching the older movie that he's credited as Jefferson Davis, à stealth change I can't imagine anybody really against.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

fatherboxx posted:

Failing to tell a complete story in a 2.5 hour cartoon is remarkable. Cant recall a movie doing such a dramatic nosedive into the ground while barely anything happened except setting up another one.

I'm getting too old. So many people here that have never seen Back to the Future 2 in a theater. Or Matrix Reloaded.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

goblin week posted:

Man I wish the fact that the movie is a part 1 of a two part thing had been mentioned at all inbetween all the praise for animation. Super disappointing.

sure was pretty though.

Huh, if anything “awesome animation” and 2 parter is often in the same paragraph

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The Spot is an awesome villain in both concept and execution and it would suck if the next movie just shoved him aside for someone else.

But, like, if Miles WAS able to find some common ground with the guy somehow it might solve a lot of problems for a lot of people because he could potentially close the holes caused by breaking cannon events thus allowing fate to be changed.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Darko posted:

I'm getting too old. So many people here that have never seen Back to the Future 2 in a theater. Or Matrix Reloaded.

BttF2 basically resolves it's arc and has a satisfying climax. You could write out the cliffhanger and more or less have a complete movie.

Now the more important question: is BTTF2 a multiverse movie?

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Nameless Pete posted:

Good on the dad for taking his wife's surname so he no longer has to be Jefferson Davis. It had to be hard growing up Black with that one.

Gaius Marius posted:

I noticed last night watching the older movie that he's credited as Jefferson Davis, à stealth change I can't imagine anybody really against.

I have no idea what possessed Bendis to name him that or why the editors let it through. Honestly, it will forever be a blemish on the character's legacy.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Can't put my finger on it...

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Darko posted:

Hey I saw Reloaded in theater and it was not nearly as insulting - things happened in that one and basically the whole logic of the world got upended by the end. This one just feels like a hacky tv show going on a midseason break with its story.

And just like with Revolutions and Hobbit part 3 as other money splits I fear the last one when its made in 3-4 years is just going to be an action pileup without much to say.

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jun 13, 2023

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Darko posted:

Matrix Reloaded managed to tell a cohesive story in itself

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Nephthys posted:

Honestly, Miles' first encounter with the Spot kind of illustrates that Miguel might have a point. Miles is very irresponsible in that scene; not taking Spot seriously at all, demeaning him and just making everything worse. Really, Spot is correct that stealing an ATM is a victimless crime. Spot also wasn't acting violently toward the shop owner at all. Miles didn't really need to intervene. He just exacerbated a situation way out of control. They definitely caused more property damage than was saved in the ATM and he unintentionally made a supervillain really, really loving motivated to do some damage. And he could have taken Spot out before revealing himself if he really thought he needed to, but he wanted to throw out some banter first.

Don't get me wrong, Miguel is ultimately missing the point but Miles really did need a wake up call to start being more responsible. But he can get that without someone needing to die for his "character development", I mean jesus christ.

property damage is a victimless crime :smuggo:

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

fatherboxx posted:

I fear the last one when its made in 3-4 years

It comes out next year you stupid bitch

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Bleck posted:

It comes out next year you stupid bitch
This is uncalled for

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I feel that I knew going into Matrix Revolutions that it was a part two of three, but perhaps I was closer to it's production at the time being young and having nothing better to do...

Across the Spiderverse blind sided me with the fact it was a two parter, but I had basically figured this out by the time we saw Miles parallel universe as there was no way they were going to resolve all those threads in a film that felt like it missed it's finish deadline several times over.

I did hear a few audible groans in the theatre at the conclusion text, but I suspect the overall quality of the film made up for it in most people's minds. It could have been a bit shorter in my opinion - it's quite fatiguing to be assaulted with so much incredible art and motion non-stop for two and a half hours, and I noticed the younger audiences (including my own kids) started to fall off it a bit. It made me wish they'd bring back intermissions. But that will be rectified when available on home media, and I'm glad I saw this in theatres because there's nothing else like it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I enjoyed Pavitr even though I thought he was kinda full of himself.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Arc Hammer posted:

I enjoyed Pavitr even though I thought he was kinda full of himself.

I mean that's hardly unusual among Spider-people.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think that point of him was kind of to give miles a taste of his own medicine (thus the chai tea thing) but he was also awesome

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean that's hardly unusual among Spider-people.

Yeah I know and I still enjoyed his character. Plus him only being on the job for six months and boasting about how easy it is was a good setup for the reveal that Miles was intentionally being excluded from the club.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Nameless Pete posted:

In Miles' timeline it's a perfectly benign name, and the President of their version of the Confederacy was some white guy named Frederick Douglass

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Some sheer suspension of disbelief that ,no one died in Mumbaittan.

Did I miss what happened there? Did they manage to contain the city swallowing hole?

They made it sound like this was a direct result of Miles breaking the canon event, and my initial thought was it was some sort of universe chain reaction ripping apart their universe, like what supposedly happened with Miguel. But then the they left and nothing more was said, so I gather the anomaly was just Spot making bigger holes as his strength grew.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Isometric Bacon posted:

Some sheer suspension of disbelief that ,no one died in Mumbaittan.

Did I miss what happened there? Did they manage to contain the city swallowing hole?

They made it sound like this was a direct result of Miles breaking the canon event, and my initial thought was it was some sort of universe chain reaction ripping apart their universe, like what supposedly happened with Miguel. But then the they left and nothing more was said, so I gather the anomaly was just Spot making bigger holes as his strength grew.

They cut back to it at one point to show the spider men on the scene still working to contain the hole in reality, and Miguel says they hopefully were able to contain it. Of course as The Spot grows stronger this might be only a temporary fix until they find a way to defeat him and stop more spacetime anomalies

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

They explicitly show it afterwards and say 'with luck that's all it'll do. We aren't always lucky.'

So there's still a giant gaping hole in the middle of the city of Mumbattan.

That said multiple people have pointed out it looks more like Spots holes, while the Miguel flashback of people and buildings blinking out of existence looks more like the typical anomaly glitching effect we have had since the first movie.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Have some fanart by Yusuke Murata (the artist of One-Punch Man)

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

The most tenuous thing to me about Miguel's understanding is that the universe he saw get wiped out was stressed in a seemingly different way than what his theory says is bad. It doesn't seem like he disrupted a canon event. He just lived in a different dimension for a while and then it fell apart. I know this is a story and the way the multiverse works is as a commentary on stories, but interpreting events with a non-narrative lens makes Miguel's working theory seem insane.

Alchemax did a big scary physics experiment and it damaged reality. Spider-Mans seem to have a demonstrable special connection. There is a jump between these observations and "dimensional integrity is predicated solely upon Spider-Man life events."

The first movie was about how anyone can be Spider-Man. The second is about being Spider-Man doesn't mean being a specific thing. Maybe the third will be about how there is more to the world than just Spider-Man.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Wittgen posted:

The most tenuous thing to me about Miguel's understanding is that the universe he saw get wiped out was stressed in a seemingly different way than what his theory says is bad. It doesn't seem like he disrupted a canon event. He just lived in a different dimension for a while and then it fell apart. I know this is a story and the way the multiverse works is as a commentary on stories, but interpreting events with a non-narrative lens makes Miguel's working theory seem insane.
From his perspective he lost his family, he tried to get them back in a way by going to another universe, and then this caused the universe to be destroyed. The way he feels like he disrupted a canon event is by trying to prevent his own suffering which he then decided must have been necessary. Yes, the idea that him losing his family but then living with them in another universe is disrupting a canon event is really pretty contrived. Yes, it's a huge conclusion to jump to that has lots of obvious holes if you're looking on as a neutral observer. But I don't think it's that implausible that he would come up with that theory because it simultaneously explains the two tragedies he went through

mystes fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 13, 2023

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

mystes posted:

From his perspective he lost his family, he tried to get them back in a way by going to another universe, and then this caused the universe to be destroyed. The way he feels like he disrupted a canon event is by trying to prevent his own suffering which he then decided must have been necessary. Yes, the idea that him losing his family but then living with them in another universe is disrupting a canon event is really pretty contrived. Yes, it's a huge conclusion to jump to that has lots of obvious holes if you're looking on as a neutral observer. But I don't think it's that implausible that he would come up with that theory because it simultaneously explains the two tragedies he went through

I don’t think he actually did lose his family to begin with? I think he was just alone and deeply unhappy (because he’s spider-man) and saw an opportunity to make things nicer and then yeah blames himself for wanting to be happy.

Depending on his backstory and powers, I wonder if Miguel isn’t also a foil for Spot. Dimension-hopping former Alchemax scientist with no family or friends forced to experiment on himself and turning himself into a monster due to sabotage/negligence by those around him.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Yeah, I am not criticizing the story for what Miguel believes. Makes a lot of sense. I just think it's interesting to consider how it breaks down, and how the next movie might spin together those inconsistencies into whatever it is going to say about Spider-Man stories.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I do like that even though most of the Spidermans teamed up to stop Miles they clearly aren't on the same page to totally agree with Miguel and seeing his actions in person throws a lot of doubt onto them. The Spidermans are clearly in the wrong for what they're doing but they're still understandable motivations and not just blind fanaticism.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Don't know if anyone else would be interested in this but apparently Into the Spider-Verse will be making the rounds through some theaters accompanied by an orchestra.

https://twitter.com/spiderverse/status/1668694728102256640?s=46&t=rg4yO9Htx2FBoZvnyslcOg

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

:pray: Fingers crossed for a fully fleshed out orchestral rendition of What's Up Danger :pray:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
They’re bringing in an actual elephant for the Prowler sound!