Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Glumwheels posted:

I’ve heard from US expats that they’ve been treated rudely by Europeans occasionally so it is a thing. I’ve never experienced it but I am also European, just not from there so maybe people give me a pass. I don’t speak my second language perfectly but no one has ever given me poo poo for it, in fact everyone has been supportive and helps me when I make a mistake. Then again, it’s not German and I don’t know a lot of Germans so maybe they are just assholes.

a lot of americans (and canadians) mistake directness for rudeness, don't get that etiquette works differently there, and in particular lose their loving minds that service workers (esp waitstaff in restaurants) do not kiss their asses or constantly check in on them.

my wife's brother (half finn half filipino) lives in germany and when we visit we've never felt like people are particularly lovely or racist there compared to anywhere else.

(not saying there isn't bigotry there, to be clear, my brother in law has told us some insane stories about their weird prejudices and he's been there for almost half his life now)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Beached Whale posted:

As a fellow Euro-brain my guess is she expected an Ear Pray Love sort of reception where everyone fawns over a precocious white American, and instead finds out they're just regular people living their lives who generally don't want to deal with your poo poo.

even worse, she wants walmarts and CVS's

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Cold on a Cob posted:

a lot of americans (and canadians) mistake directness for rudeness, don't get that etiquette works differently there, and in particular lose their loving minds that service workers (esp waitstaff in restaurants) do not kiss their asses or constantly check in on them.

my wife's brother (half finn half filipino) lives in germany and when we visit we've never felt like people are particularly lovely or racist there compared to anywhere else.

(not saying there isn't bigotry there, to be clear, my brother in law has told us some insane stories about their weird prejudices and he's been there for almost half his life now)

this sounds like a functioning society to me. americas like weird faux-politeness dance drives me insane

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Beached Whale posted:

As a fellow Euro-brain my guess is she expected an Eat Pray Love sort of reception where everyone fawns over a precocious white American, and instead finds out they're just regular people living their lives who generally don't want to deal with your poo poo.

the author of Eat Pray Love had to cancel publishing her latest book because it was about the Soviet Union and the pro-Ukraine crowd didn't like seeing books even mentioning Russia or Russians

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Cold on a Cob posted:

the faux courtesy that's everywhere in America absolutely, 100% fucks up a lot of people and you don't really notice it if you've just been exposed to that kind of thing your whole life

my partner's mom (who only moved to the US in her 50s) gets legitimate anxiety in restaurants because of servers constantly coming over to check on things

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

It's easy making friends with Germans. Just hand one an sop on how to be your friend and they'll love you. Germans love well written procedures.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

The Amish population in PA and Ohio gets the same poo poo for the same reason, they interact with you to get their business done and they don't do the gladhanding stuff. Americans hate that.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Nice and hot piss posted:

If I was 55 and was your boss I'd have fired you

All my tickets where complete and my bugs per lines of code was the lowest on the entire team. :smug:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
that lady is like the ultimate lib, talks at length about her privilege and hemming and hawing about her impact on the places she visits but still profiting wildly off of it all and straight up making the world a worse place

my favourite fact is she got paid 200k from her publisher to take a year off to do all that travelling

Jun 13, 2023

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Amazon is stale dogshit and it shocks me every time I hear someone say how great it is and how they order everything from there. The eBay comparison is accurate, Amazon doesn't want to stock or ship anything they just want a cut.

Jun 13, 2023
for reference:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Glumwheels posted:

Lady, it’s entirely you and not them.

At least she admits part of the problem is where she lives, what do you expect living in a small town without other expats? If you don’t have a community of similar backgrounds and likeminded people to hang out with and learn from you’re going to have difficulty. Also, she’s so dumb not understanding how better off people are with kids in Europe than in the US. Ignoring the gun violence that plagues the US, in Europe you can take kids everywhere and they’re truly welcomed. People will stop and help you if you have little kids and let you cut lines etc. You have more support and cheaper childcare. In the US you’re just seen as a burden or a problem if you have kids with you, most people don’t give a poo poo and won’t help you.

I’ve heard from US expats that they’ve been treated rudely by Europeans occasionally so it is a thing. I’ve never experienced it but I am also European, just not from there so maybe people give me a pass. I don’t speak my second language perfectly but no one has ever given me poo poo for it, in fact everyone has been supportive and helps me when I make a mistake. Then again, it’s not German and I don’t know a lot of Germans so maybe they are just assholes.

If someone gave me poo poo, who the gently caress cares? I’m still learning and that’s their issue if they care and want to be a dick about it.

I would imagine being half South Korean (thus encountering a lot of racism) and living in a tiny loving town are probably the biggest legit issues happening

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

how long until she’s revealed to be a lobbyist from Aetna or some poo poo

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
one of the best pieces of advice I ever got was "don't get good at bad jobs, or you will be asked to do them constantly"

Mysterious Jim
Sep 7, 2021
one of my formative memories of visiting Germany as a teenage Canadian tourist was getting chewed out by a waitress. I ordered some sort of sausage dish and it was definitely an acquired taste that I didn't expect or enjoy, but I was raised to not waste food or complain so I just grimaced and tried to power through this meal. She comes by my table to check up on me, looks at my awkward loving face and asks me "Is this not to your liking?" I was still trying to be fake nice, going all "well, it's good, but," before she interrupted with "This is Bavaria. If it is poo poo, you say it is poo poo! Now tell me, is it poo poo?" and that forced me to give up the act and admit it was indeed poo poo and order something else. And thus social progress was made.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

RealityWarCriminal posted:

one of the best pieces of advice I ever got was "don't get good at bad jobs, or you will be asked to do them constantly"

this is also why you never volunteer for the thing that is, officially, no one's responsibility

Jun 13, 2023
Instant Pot and Pyrex Maker Instant Brands Files for Bankruptcy

quote:

Amelia Pollard
Mon, June 12, 2023 at 3:41 PM CDT·1 min read
(Bloomberg) — Instant Brands, maker of the Instant Pot pressure cooker and Pyrex glassware, filed for bankruptcy on Monday after high interest rates and waning access to credit hit its cash position and made its debts unsustainable.

The company listed estimated assets and liabilities of as much as $1 billion in a bankruptcy petition filed in Texas. The Chapter 11 filing allows Instant Brands to keep operating while it seeks approval of a plan to repay creditors.

The company is slated to receive around $133 million in debtor-in-possession financing to fund itself through the bankruptcy process, the company said in a statement.

“After successfully navigating the Covid-19 pandemic and the global supply chain crisis, we continue to face additional global macroeconomic and geopolitical challenges that have affected our business,” Ben Gadbois, the company’s president and chief executive officer, said in a statement.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Amazon has arm and hammer litter deodorizer for a pretty good price compared to most pet stores

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

amazon at least has selection when most brick and mortar stores purposely do not have selection

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Cold on a Cob posted:

My wife is European too but born there and she absolutely hates the fake sweet attitude servers have in the US. It wouldn’t exist if it wasn’t for our godawful tipping culture in the US. Like wow, people can be themselves when they don’t have to rely on a customers generosity to survive.

The one thing I hate about Europe is definitely shopping. Big box stores help cut down on your shopping and travel time. It’s really not enjoyable having to go to multiple stores to buy poo poo for the week vs just going to target and getting everything. It also sucks poo poo everything closes early than in the US including pharmacies which means you have to plan in advance and hope no emergencies come up and you have to get off work sufficiently early.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

FlapYoJacks posted:

All my tickets where complete and my bugs per lines of code was the lowest on the entire team. :smug:

at most places I've worked, they will get upset with you if you are too slow walking back from your legally prescribed 15 minute break

Jun 13, 2023

wash bucket posted:

https://twitter.com/tomgara/status/1668611912458813444

Sure, you make the best selling kitchen appliance of the last decade. But what have you done for us this quarter?

no they were unable make their debt payment to keep their billion dollar global product company operational

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Paradoxish posted:

my partner's mom (who only moved to the US in her 50s) gets legitimate anxiety in restaurants because of servers constantly coming over to check on things

All the manufactured servility in US retail/restaurant settings is unnerving to me. Everyone knows it's a script! It's not real! The workers there, aside from a few truly deluded individuals, aren't actually happy to see you. They aren't actually thanking you. They're reading from a soulless script penned by an undead monstrosity in a defiled marketing tomb somewhere.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

RealityWarCriminal posted:

at most places I've worked, they will get upset with you if you are too slow walking back from your legally prescribed 15 minute break

Change jobs.

Apr 7, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

All the manufactured servility in US retail/restaurant settings is unnerving to me. Everyone knows it's a script! It's not real! The workers there, aside from a few truly deluded individuals, aren't actually happy to see you. They aren't actually thanking you. They're reading from a soulless script penned by an undead monstrosity in a defiled marketing tomb somewhere.

Americans no longer have actual third places, so that manufactured servility makes up a significant amount of many peoples' human contact.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
https://twitter.com/tomgara/status/1668631268073050115?cxt=HHwWhsDUqYXTlaguAAAA

A story as old as time

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I’m from the US south and it unnerves me too. It’s unnatural. Especially the “my pleasure” scripted poo poo from Chick-fil-A or the “WELCOME TO MOES” nonsense. Corporatism needs to die.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

it rules that not only is this legal, but the smart thing to do

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
goon project: let’s start a private equity fund and buy out all americorps with fake debt and leverage to buy out more like dominos. then run them into the ground with massive debt takeouts to buy other corps

together we can have capitalism eat itself…. and also get filthy rich to buy goon island

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

all this instapot stuff is funny yeah, but lmao this guy works for loving meta

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
no one wants to eat anymore :qq:

https://twitter.com/business/status/1668303583849197574

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
everyone is fuckin ordering grub hub or doordash or Ubereats for 3 meals a day every day

I posted before but I live in a non-luxury apartment and the amount of food gigger drivers that show up every day is unreal

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

lol wirecutter's (peak yeti customer demo) recommended cooler is an $80 coleman, yetiheads losing their minds over this

$80*

*$90

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Yeti filled the hole in the American Consumer soul that was created when people stopped giving a gently caress what kind of phone you have.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Glumwheels posted:

Lady, it’s entirely you and not them.

At least she admits part of the problem is where she lives, what do you expect living in a small town without other expats? If you don’t have a community of similar backgrounds and likeminded people to hang out with and learn from you’re going to have difficulty. Also, she’s so dumb not understanding how better off people are with kids in Europe than in the US. Ignoring the gun violence that plagues the US, in Europe you can take kids everywhere and they’re truly welcomed. People will stop and help you if you have little kids and let you cut lines etc. You have more support and cheaper childcare. In the US you’re just seen as a burden or a problem if you have kids with you, most people don’t give a poo poo and won’t help you.

If someone gave me poo poo, who the gently caress cares? I’m still learning and that’s their issue if they care and want to be a dick about it.

Yeah the attitude on kids is way different there. If you take into a restaurant in the US, it's an annoyance and people will sksksk in their phones to reddit about what an awful experience this is, there they accept it as part of life and welcome it. Helping an American parent may just make them defensive and angry with you lol.

And Americans are pretty rude too, especially if you don't speak good English, but at least when a European does it they won't have typically have a gun.

actionjackson posted:

I would imagine being half South Korean (thus encountering a lot of racism) and living in a tiny loving town are probably the biggest legit issues happening

I'm the same mix and people can't tell if I'm a good race or a bad race just by sight, so they just project one on to me depending on how they already want to treat me (more than usual), which is usually neutral to good with a shock once they find out my last name. Latinos and Armenians think I'm one of them, white people think I'm like, Italian.

Apr 7, 2003

skooma512 posted:

white people think I'm like, Italian.

mama mia

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

it bothers me they use the verb “train” completely inaccurately and it has been accepted

the AI people

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

lol wirecutter's (peak yeti customer demo) recommended cooler is an $80 coleman, yetiheads losing their minds over this

I got this cooler because of the Wirecutter and its fine. I should have bought the one from costco that has wheels and a handle. Biggest pet peeve is the lid doesn't fully close without pressing it down which would normally not be an issue except I often camp with children who can't be loving bothered after rooting through it for no loving reason.

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/broderick/status/1668634451088392193

lol

if they'd just make the strike indefinite it could do some real damage to the internet

the cached google version works great AND it probably doesn't give reddit page views if that's what you're after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Biggest pet peeve is the lid doesn't fully close without pressing it down

isn't that most coolers?