Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
Key difference everything in fallout is ugly as poo poo, while starfield art direction seems cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The colony stuff is definitely going to be used to further the loot cycle gameplay they've stuck too since Fallout 4. Dunno if there will be anything more to it. If nothing else pray that they finally figured out pathfinding in settlements so you don't go to your massive research facility on Glorbulon 6-A only to find all the scientists walking into walls while saying 'Hey' like Sonic 06 NPCs

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Xakura posted:

Key difference everything in fallout is ugly as poo poo, while starfield art direction seems cool

Pretty much. I am ready to not look at rust buckets and rags on every person I meet.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
them using prefabbed components does mean that pathfinding will be easier all around. The fallout 4 settlement system suffers a lot from not having remotely enough prefab housing elements you can kitbash together.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Xakura posted:

I really thought 4 missed a chance to let you clean the place up a bit since you were literally rebuilding society. I get why the aesthetic is a big part of Fallout, but if it's thematically moving past the apocalypse a bit, maybe it's time to show that visually a bit too.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
my friends had the opposite thing to say. They really hated SF's aesthetic because it wasn't "aesthetic" enough. I liked Bethesda's whole take on retrofuturistic america. You were essentially walking in the remains of the Jetson's universe in many ways while in downtown boston.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

I really thought 4 missed a chance to let you clean the place up a bit since you were literally rebuilding society. I get why the aesthetic is a big part of Fallout, but if it's thematically moving past the apocalypse a bit, maybe it's time to show that visually a bit too.

Same, as well as if you had a bunch of settlements in an area with maybe a certain defense level or whatever, after a while have less random raider encounters in that area or something as well, so it actually felt like some progress was being made.

Like for NV and 3 your just basically just doing the story, so it makes sense that changes are going to be just story related basically, but with the minutemen and the settlement system the game was saying hey were tidying up the wasteland, but like nah everywhere at the end of the game was still wasteland as hell.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tankbuster posted:

the bases in FO4 allowed you to acquire crafting resources later on. The outposts in starfield largely seem to do the same.

They only generate junk if you have less than like 500 units of junk in the settlement, and the machines only run when you're in the settlement. They're basically completely worthless for acquiring crafting materials other than the "make purified water sell purified water buy material deliveries" loop

I just want bases that are self sufficient. Not the "I build 8600 points of defenses and 3 gunners will destroy half the settlement unless you, the only competent person on the planet, show up to babysit them" bases from fo4

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

dr_rat posted:

The Jali system sounds neat, I wonder how well it does with different languages as languages can have such a different mix of hard and soft sounds and meanings of emphases in words placed in different parts of the sentence. I can just imagine it being used with voice recordings from a langue it isn't used to and making all the characters just sad/angry/happy all the time, or making all the characters seem puzzled/quizzical as it thinks every sentence they say is a question.

They advertise it as being "multilingual" but I don't speak any other language well enough to really tell if they're doing a good job in them.

They list these languages:

quote:

English
French / Français
Russian / Pусский
Polish / Polski
Portuguese (Brazil) / Portugues (Brasil)
Japanese /日本人
Mandarin / 普通话
German / Deutsch
Italian / Italiano
Spanish / Español
Korean / 한국어
Dutch / Nederlands

I found this paper which I think is the one I read ages ago, but I'm not 100% certain.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Xakura posted:

Nasapunk

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Azhais posted:

They only generate junk if you have less than like 500 units of junk in the settlement, and the machines only run when you're in the settlement. They're basically completely worthless for acquiring crafting materials other than the "make purified water sell purified water buy material deliveries" loop

I just want bases that are self sufficient. Not the "I build 8600 points of defenses and 3 gunners will destroy half the settlement unless you, the only competent person on the planet, show up to babysit them" bases from fo4

I think the higher your happiness levels and defenses were the less likely your settlements were to be attacked. I asked around in reddit and used SKK's settlement attack mod which completely overhauled that aspect. Either way the settlement system really felt unbaked in terms of being playtested although it was really important in survival mode.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

dr_rat posted:

So a lot of Witcher was automated like Bethesda games, but seems the system they used allowed more tailoring, there's an article about it here: https://www.pcgamer.com/most-of-the-witcher-3s-dialogue-scenes-was-animated-by-an-algorithm/ Where is in creation kit, seems you set an animation for the character, than you set an emotion and strength of that emotion (between 1-100) for each line of dialogue.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQMkVcekHUk&t=426s

So Yeah looks like even though they both were pretty automated Witcher 3 engine allowed for more tailoring of the process. Although I'm sure there are probably hacky was in Creation Kit to do in line emotion changes and what not, it doesn't look like it's as easy to do by default.

Procgen can be fine as a tool to build content more efficiently.
When it's sold as a "you'll always experience a different story!!!" feature however you know it's just going to pointlessly shuffle poo poo around.

The real question for starfield is how large is the set of prefabs that the game will be pulling from and so far we know exactly nothing about this (although if the number was impressive you'd think they'd have boasted about it). Even 1000 planets will very very quickly feel worthless if you always see the same 3 outposts etc.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
All I want to do is build my own space port and populate it with the ships I have stolen from random pirates in the universe. It will be like a GTA garage on my own personal moon. What other game could possibly fulfill this fantasy.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
its outer space. Most of those planets will be balls of ice.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Real space is filled with a bunch of rocks with nothing on them. Even few hundred years of local space exploration isn't going to put a huge dent in that number.

I think it was dumb to tout it like they did because it sets up that expectation that there's gonna be "something" on each one, when it seems they're just intended as a different backdrop to your personal space. But who knows, maybe they'll slap a proc-gen random faction base on each planet just to say they're there.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
the game showcase did say that a lot of those planets will just be there for resource outposts and taking the occasional stroll in.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
I think you need the giant number of planets even if nothing is on them and no one goes there. The background needs to feel expansive even if you don't actually investigate it. Otherwise you get Outer Worlds which feels like a small village not a massive solar system.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
ah yes but have you considered that it was made by obsidian so it was automatically gooder?

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I think they were decently clear in the presentation that a lot of the planets don’t have a narrative purpose or whatever. They’re there for resources or just purely for the sense of exploring the land as well as just lending scale to the universe.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Outer Worlds was pretty good but doesn't hold a candle to the classic Bethesda Experience.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Tankbuster posted:

its outer space. Most of those planets will be balls of ice.

Hey, lots of balls of rock as well!

They mentioned they wanted to keep planets realistic to position from sun and what not so quite a few hellish hot planets and quite a few ice balls and few gas giants as well.

Also assuming that's true and their keeping to the Goldilock principles and 100 star systems at most there would be 100 livable planets, and honest I'd be surprised if there was more than 20 planets with life on them. Which seems fine to me.

Also they should allow you to land on a gas giant, and immediately get crushed to death when you try.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

isndl posted:

That number of planets is mostly filler, but at the same time it'll be extremely popular with the settlement building crowd who get to have giant sandboxes to gently caress around with. I expect there's going to be "coolest planets to build a vacation home" type lists going pretty much immediately after launch....

Sounds like the vast majority of planets are generated as you approach them. So no lists to share with other people.
I think from an early interview with Todd he mentioned 1,000 being a number that they could name by hand. I figured that meant procedurally generating the biomes, fauna, flora etc and then locking it down.
I guess we'll find out later if the locked down ones are 20, 100, 500...
Maybe we will have Console Commands to set seeds for generating planets?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
The planets are pre generated. The quests get added in as you approach them iirc.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Zlodo posted:

The real question for starfield is how large is the set of prefabs that the game will be pulling from and so far we know exactly nothing about this (although if the number was impressive you'd think they'd have boasted about it). Even 1000 planets will very very quickly feel worthless if you always see the same 3 outposts etc.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I still think there is some obscure buffer overflow or something in the very base of the Creation engine that has corrupted and generated unreproduceable errors in Bethesda games since Morrowind

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
if thats the price we pay for modding then thats the price we pay.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tankbuster posted:

I think the higher your happiness levels and defenses were the less likely your settlements were to be attacked. I asked around in reddit and used SKK's settlement attack mod which completely overhauled that aspect. Either way the settlement system really felt unbaked in terms of being playtested although it was really important in survival mode.

I just use a mod that disables settlement attacks entirely. Even beyond my annoyance at their inability to defend themselves I got sick of playing survival mode and getting "Summerville place is under attack!" when I'm in the rear end end of far harbor

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Fallout 4 settlements were frustrating because they were settlements. A first person open world game is not the best way to interface with settlement management. It's pretty bad for that.

Fallout 76 was a lot more satisfying, even with most of the same jank, because you were just building your own personal camp. You didn't need to manage people and resources and all that. You were just making a cozy home. It felt good.

Starfield has you building outposts not settlements. And you have a spaceship as a mobile base too. Conceptually it's already much better than Fallout 4, much more in line with what was satisfying about 76- you're building a house not a town. Maybe some NPCs will hang out there and give you a steady stream of resources.

Based on Bethesda's previous attempts at this kind of stuff and the aesthetic of Starfield, it looks like it'll be fun.

PeePot posted:

Sounds like the vast majority of planets are generated as you approach them. So no lists to share with other people.
I think from an early interview with Todd he mentioned 1,000 being a number that they could name by hand. I figured that meant procedurally generating the biomes, fauna, flora etc and then locking it down.
I guess we'll find out later if the locked down ones are 20, 100, 500...
Maybe we will have Console Commands to set seeds for generating planets?
My impression was that the terrain is generated when you land, but I can't imagine the general parameters aren't preset- distance from sun, gravity, how many moons, etc.

If your idea of a beautiful base is one that is one tidally locked to a gas giant with spectacular rings, and somehow in a very oblique orbit so the rings are constantly waxing and waning as the gas giant hovers motionless above the horizon, where it can be constantly framed by your huge living room window, that's the type of thing that people could share with each other.

I don't know that it's physically possible to have a gas giant with rings also have a close, tidally locked moon in an oblique orbit (so you're not just looking at the rings edge on all the time), but if it is possible, I would like to build a house there.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
I fully plan to ignore any and all sensationalist youtube clickbait about top ten planets with cool secrets and just fart around on my own and talking to my friends about the neat things we've done.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

VostokProgram posted:

look to my bug reports on the first day of the fifth sprint

We've had stand up, yes, but what about second stand up?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Admiral Bosch posted:

I fully plan to ignore any and all sensationalist youtube clickbait about top ten planets with cool secrets and just fart around on my own and talking to my friends about the neat things we've done.

I definitely want to start blind, but if/when the procgen stuff starts feeling repetitive, I'll probably want to check out some more curated experiences. But maybe important/interesting areas will be signposted in some way within the game anyway, idk.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

No Man's Sky (derogatory) by the people that made Fallout 4 (derogatory) is the recipe for the biggest most shallow game ever made.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
yeah we need some really deep gameplay experiences like...Star Citizen.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The good news is that it's going to be on game pass so if it's all ambition and no game at least you don't have to buy it.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Jack Trades posted:

No Man's Sky (derogatory) by the people that made Fallout 4 (derogatory) is the recipe for the biggest most shallow game ever made.

I don’t think this game will be for you. A shame!

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Jack Trades posted:

Like I will give No Man's Sky props for their dedication to improving their game for no extra charge, but having gone back and trying it again several times over the years, it still suffers from the same problem of being too shallow. Adding in derelict ships are cool until you realize each one is nearly identical and not really worth doing more than once. Even exploring planets gets old when you can recognize every possible point of interest from the fairly small list it can draw from. Daggerfall had this same problem, and I don't see Bethesda of all developers being able to solve it.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

1glitch0 posted:

I think you need the giant number of planets even if nothing is on them and no one goes there. The background needs to feel expansive even if you don't actually investigate it. Otherwise you get Outer Worlds which feels like a small village not a massive solar system.

OTOH Outer Wilds only had like five planets and it felt way more filled out than Outer Worlds ever did. ME2 did the whole "a bunch of garbage background planets for resource extraction" thing and it was... lets just say I didn't find it a strong point of the game.

I know its not what but I do think a smaller number of genuinely unique and interesting planets does a lot more to make a space game feel big than a docen procgenned copy pasted ones. Hopefully Starfield has both, though, since we're definitely getting the copy-pasted ones.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Zlodo posted:

Procgen can be fine as a tool to build content more efficiently.
When it's sold as a "you'll always experience a different story!!!" feature however you know it's just going to pointlessly shuffle poo poo around.

They have. They have literally said that it's the most handcrafted content they have ever done. They said there are more recorded lines of dialogue than Skyrim and Fallout put together even with no voiced character.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Someone (maybe multiple people) on the forum have pointed out that all of No Man's Sky's patched in systems don't engage with either the base game or each other, and it kills the gameplay you can get out of them. Bethesda, with it's immersive sim/RPG hybrid gameplay, isn't going to have that problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

7c Nickel posted:

They have. They have literally said that it's the most handcrafted content they have ever done. They said there are more recorded lines of dialogue than Skyrim and Fallout put together even with no voiced character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFcLyDb6niA