Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

Because nobody told them about how much better Seinfeld was (just don't check in on what any of the cast did later).
Its pretty easy to explain why Friends resonated with a wider audience than Seinfeld did in the UK but it didn't help that Channel 4 broadcast Friends every Friday night (and later every weekday) and Seinfeld was relegated to the early hours of the morning on BBC2. The BBC did the same with Arrested Development, which is why hardly anyone over here knew about it until Netflix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I went in very skeptical of Seinfeld as the traditional laugh track sitcom has never really done much for me. Buuut. gently caress me, it's a funny and surprisingly dark show.

It's so good I'm legit shocked it was actually a mainstream smash.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Larry David had a lot of life experience that let him make the show work as well as it did.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
It's so obvious that pretty much every shameful situation George gets into is some version of Larry David's life

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I do not believe this for a moment and Mr Eton knew exactly what a bunch of shitcunts he was raising

They are the exact product Eton wanted; privilege, entitlement and all

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Home Bargains is choc full of Friends paraphenalia, I can't understand why! Do today's kids (ie anyone under 30) even remember that show?
I watched 1 episode - boring.
Years ago I saw David Schwimmer doing a live TV thing where he publicly humiliated a young woman in the audience who had probably been looking forward to that evening for ages, bloody oik. It was awful. She'd written him a fan letter and he asked if she was in the audience and she was obviously thrilled until the humiliation started.

As a teacher, I remember a few years back a bunch of students had or were wearing Friends merch because they'd all been binging it when it first went on Netflix. Not sure if it's endured since, but Friends was pretty big to teens a few years back.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

NotJustANumber99 posted:

lol at people doing the "not getting" friends and seinfeld. er. ok

There's nothing to get in Friends. A friend of mine inflicted an episode on me and there literally weren't any jokes in it. One of the male leads who isn't David Schwimmer opens the door and enters the apartment. The laugh track goes off. My friend laughs, a Pavlovian response. Repeat for 23 minutes.

I can see why you evidently like it though.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

forkboy84 posted:

People assure me that Seinfeld gets much better after the first 2 seasons but it'd have to, because Jerry Seinfeld doing stand-up at the beginning of episodes is the dirt worst. Observational comedy that makes Peter Kay bellowing about garlic bread seem like high art.

"You ever notice how men, men are all from MARS? But women - WOMEN are from VENUS!" rinse repeat

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Poundland had a whole lot of Legally Blonde branded stuff the other week, which was equally baffling in a "why now?" way

There was a musical adaptation fairly recently I think.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jedit posted:

There's nothing to get in Friends. A friend of mine inflicted an episode on me and there literally weren't any jokes in it. One of the male leads who isn't David Schwimmer opens the door and enters the apartment. The laugh track goes off. My friend laughs, a Pavlovian response. Repeat for 23 minutes.

Guessing it was Matt le Blanc aka Joey, who was meant to be the clown of the show.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

It’s all just so loving stupid. If this had been exactly a year ago Keith would have been claiming the NHS could be saved via the possibilities of the blockchain and NFTs

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Only the Kramer may elicit laughs by entering a doorway

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Jedit posted:

this is surprisingly dour and joyless even for the UKMT

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gorn Myson posted:

Its pretty easy to explain why Friends resonated with a wider audience than Seinfeld did in the UK
I always felt that Friends was a bit too optimistic in that 90s American end-of-history way, whereas Seinfeld hit the familiar British sitcom tone of "everyone is an amoral sociopath who barely tolerates any of the others"

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

reducing queues with AI?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

this is surprisingly dour and joyless even for the UKMT

being performatively above pop culture things is par for the course

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Marmaduke! posted:

Only the Kramer may elicit laughs by entering a doorway

https://twitter.com/StolenDans/status/1564425398401867778

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
AI will reduce waiting times the same way call center robots reduce waiting times, in that eventually everyone gets so frustrated they give up and just don't bother. Except this time it's not about getting charged £30 extra on a phone bill but it's about trying to get this strange bleeding mole looked at.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

*dialling 999* hello yes can you put me through to the ambulance service please

AI voice: your cancer is terminal *click*

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

smellmycheese posted:

It’s all just so loving stupid. If this had been exactly a year ago Keith would have been claiming the NHS could be saved via the possibilities of the blockchain and NFTs

[goose meme]free up the staff to do what

FREE UP THE STAFF TO DO WHAT MOTHERFUCKER

Jedit posted:

There's nothing to get in Friends. A friend of mine inflicted an episode on me and there literally weren't any jokes in it.
Do you often find yourself envying the humans and their simple pleasures?

There are network minimums of one joke per script page, which translates to at least one every 15-30 seconds - if there was 'literally' not one you related to in the whole episode, seek medication.

I can get deriding it for being lowbrow, or formulaic, or whatever, but come on man. Friends was at best average and a lot of average people liked it, the 'being baffled by thing lots of people seemed to enjoy' is a tired cliche.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I recall there being a lot of pretty open homophobia and transphobia in the show, which product of its time and all but can leave a bad taste in the mouth.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

[goose meme]free up the staff to do what

FREE UP THE STAFF TO DO WHAT MOTHERFUCKER

save money

By not being staff any more

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Jedit posted:

Friends was filmed in front of an audience iirc

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Did they receive compensation?

Friends without the laugh track vibes like it's about to turn into a syndicated crime drama at any moment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BFSZ8XzWOM

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh this is vile https://twitter.com/GoldingBF/status/1668724230836330498

Gonna be honest Paul, don't think a young person with the surname Kumar would be down with your "gently caress the immigrants" rhetoric.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

You never know, there are plenty of “our family came here the right way” cunts out there as well, having immigration in your heritage doesn’t make you immune to being a poo poo about immigrants.

Still, ghoulish and gently caress that guy.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Jedit posted:

you probably didn't see one of the ones with a monkey in it. you'd change your mind.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Aren’t there quite a few Friends episodes where the central gag is “OMG you’re dating somebody who is trans / a different race / has a funny voice”? I seem to recall a lot of it aging quite badly for something that was extremely milquetoast comedy at the time.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

josh04 posted:

There was a musical adaptation fairly recently I think.

It was really good fun.

I wonder if it also had a bit of a bump due to the Coolidgeenaissance after White Lotus as well.

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!

TACD posted:

Aren’t there quite a few Friends episodes where the central gag is “OMG you’re dating somebody who is trans / a different race / has a funny voice”?

No.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Friends was funny (at the time at least) but New Girl is the far superior hangout comedy

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I enjoyed how I met your mother

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Also the show was good too

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Community is good imo. Has our boy John Oliver repeatedly occur.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

There is the entire arc with one of Chandler's parents, it's transphobic as gently caress.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

I found Frasier a likeable show, Seinfeld & Friends did nothing for me at all. :shrug:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Frasier is how Boris Johnson imagines himself, when he's actually a worse Archie Bunker.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
None of it's as good as Fawlty towers or only fools and horses anyway

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Humour is subjective. I don't personally find friends very funny on the whole. Its very bland and formulaic, it has the classic 90s homophobia, the 'we're cool and progressive unhateful people, now get ready for a full episode of gay panic' kind.

It has some jokes though, the man put a turkey on his head for example.

Part of the problem is that it was just on all the time, before like actually watching tv really died. Overexposure made me very cynical about the show i think. Had the same thing happen with Big Bang, where you couldn't glance a a tv without seeing half an episode you'd seen 5 times already. Even tho i liked it a lot at first theres only so many times you can watch it before you notice the main guy is the most joyless fucker in the world and the guy who plays him increasingly thinks that the way to seem like a nerd is to tilt his head back and squint a bit and loving sheldon is awful too i hate him i hate him i hate him and i hate the designated sexual harasment nerd the most

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Friends is pretty funny. Seinfeld’s funny. Curb Your Enthusiasm is really really loving funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Bobby Deluxe posted:

There is the entire arc with one of Chandler's parents, it's transphobic as gently caress.

Yeah but a single transphobic character arc that comes up in a few episodes isn’t the same as a constant stream of transphobic/problematic dating storylines like the question asked.

There was way more homophobia with people repeatedly assuming chandler was gay for comedic effect and that episode where two of the guys found out they liked spooning together.

Show has aged terribly but some of it is probably still acceptably funny, they weren’t all punching down jokes.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jun 14, 2023