Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

It's kinda bullshit that we don't consider someone who owns their own private jet a flight risk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Theoretically, but the criteria is flight risk. People have evaded their security details before.

I know what you're saying, but I would love to see video of a bumble-gently caress like Trump trying to evade his detail.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Maybe the pro escape and anti escape factions of security are arguing even know, pulling Trump's sleeves this way and that

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

His arraignment hasn't happened yet because he can't find a lawyer yet.

Really? The news was saying that he and his lawyer sat next to the other guy and his two lawyers during the arraignment.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

cr0y posted:

It's kinda bullshit that we don't consider someone who owns their own private jet a flight risk.

if they could fly they wouldn't need a jet :colbert:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Boris Galerkin posted:

Really? The news was saying that he and his lawyer sat next to the other guy and his two lawyers during the arraignment.

https://www.ksby.com/trump-co-defendant-walt-nauta-s-arraignment-delayed

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Skippy McPants posted:

I know what you're saying, but I would love to see video of a bumble-gently caress like Trump trying to evade his detail.

I'm actually not 100% clear from what I've read that he even has a bar on international travel in place. He may have gotten *no* conditions other than not talking to Nauta about his case.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I'm actually not 100% clear from what I've read that he even has a bar on international travel in place. He may have gotten *no* conditions other than not talking to Nauta about his case.

I believe he had to give up his passport too.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

It's cool that he gets to just walk out no problem and immediately hold events and talk about how it's all a witch hunt and whatever and we all just have to say "yep, its good. justice is manifest"

Did they even take the secrets away?

Yes, they took away all the secrets they know for sure he had, and if they get even a whiff of a hint that he's got more boxes of papers somewhere, they'll probably have a search warrant written up by the end of the day to go hunt for them.

cr0y posted:

Being a flight risk isn't about ability to flee, it's about willingness to flee. He's running for president of the US, and he can't take Trump Tower or Mar-a-Lago with him overseas. Generally, those sorts of non-portable ties, connections, and ambitions are considered to reduce the chance that someone is a flight risk.

Also, it's been very clear for months that he was being investigated for all sorts of poo poo and was likely to be charged. Despite that, he hasn't shown even the slightest sign of wanting to flee the country. That kind of thing also weighs in his favor in a flight risk determination - generally, a flight risk doesn't wait till the last possible second to buy their one-way ticket.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Boris Galerkin posted:

I believe he has a lawyer but not one who is allowed to represent him in Florida, or his current attorney has not been cleared to represent him in Florida?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

People almost look forward to Trump loving off to Russia or something, as if he would become a permanent "dissident." But I agree with the idea that he couldn't stay put, he would inevitably attempt to come back rather than fade into obscurity, admit defeat, or risk being cut off from whatever money he has left.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Main Paineframe posted:

Being a flight risk isn't about ability to flee, it's about willingness to flee. He's running for president of the US, and he can't take Trump Tower or Mar-a-Lago with him overseas. Generally, those sorts of non-portable ties, connections, and ambitions are considered to reduce the chance that someone is a flight risk.

He absolutely *could* continue to run from overseas, wait the case out, and hope for re-election and pardon.

quote:

Also, it's been very clear for months that he was being investigated for all sorts of poo poo and was likely to be charged. Despite that, he hasn't shown even the slightest sign of wanting to flee the country. That kind of thing also weighs in his favor in a flight risk determination - generally, a flight risk doesn't wait till the last possible second to buy their one-way ticket.

Another way to say this is "he's an obvious flight risk, but he hasn't fled yet, so he must not be a risk." I mean, I've made similar arguments, but I never expect them to actually work if the client is poor or black or both. I've seen clients get bond denied (on state charges) just because they had family out of state or had a green card instead of citizenship.

Meanwhile Jack Teixiera was arrested just sitting on his mother's porch after his story had been in the news for like a week and he'd had ample opportunity to flee, and he didn't, and he was denied bond. Reality Winner was denied bond for leaking one single document because she had made a joking online comment about "finding a place to live in Nepal, ha ha" and because she had other classified information in her head that she might potentially also leak.

Meanwhile Trump's still out there farting around, his very existence and access to the internet a giant ongoing security risk because who knows what the gently caress his idiot ham hands might tweet out at any moment.

It's an absurd, offensive travesty of justice against anyone who has ever had their bond denied.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

smackfu posted:

Do they not track these super secret documents?

Based upon my experience in working with the government and classified information: an individual office may track documents it owns within that office. Most don't bother to do extensive record keeping on documents and locations because A) they're in a Secure Facility and as long as no one is leaving with papers then you know the stuff is still in the office; and B) Christ that's a lot of papers to track; I have three incoming intel reports and two summary statements we've written of the three intel reports and then a separate presidential brief with the summary statements incorporated etc. etc. etc. am I individually tracking each of these documents? Should I track the couple of draft versions of those write-ups? Should I track the copy that got passed around for review and edits?

So most offices wouldn't bother to track individual documents except in the rare cares that those documents are generated specifically to leave the Secure Facility. But if it sends that information over to another office, well, then it's that other office's responsibility now. All of these documents were originally DoD or DoE and then copies were sent over to the White House as briefings or to support briefings; once they were sent over, my expectation is that the DoE/DoD persons said, "Now it's the White House staff's responsibility to ensure the safekeeping of those copies and track that they aren't lost."

So the White House staff should have been tracking these documents but lol lmao lmfao at the idea of the Trump White House even giving a poo poo.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

He absolutely *could* continue to run from overseas, wait the case out, and hope for re-election and pardon.

I'm well aware of the devotion Trump's most fanatical followers have, but I think running for Prez as an expat fugitive might just be a bridge too far for a critical mass of would-be voters.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Personally, I'm pulling for Trump marrying into the House of Saud for the money, prestige, and also to see if that "no foreign Prince may hold the Presidency" thing pierces the Trump Reality Field

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

projecthalaxy posted:

Personally, I'm pulling for Trump marrying into the House of Saud for the money, prestige, and also to see if that "no foreign Prince may hold the Presidency" thing pierces the Trump Reality Field

. . . . . goddammit. This is what happens next season isn't it

why did you call this forth

Judgy Fucker posted:

I'm well aware of the devotion Trump's most fanatical followers have, but I think running for Prez as an expat fugitive might just be a bridge too far for a critical mass of would-be voters.

I mean, we used to say there was no way he'd get elected at all, y'know?

I'm not saying it would work or make sense but it's definitely possible from a "risk" perspective. It's no more ludicrous than the reasons given to deny Reality Winner's bond were.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jun 14, 2023

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Anna Bower of Lawfare inadvertently started a 27-hour line to get into the courthouse ahead of the arraignment, and has a thorough writeup.

The prosecution suggested hardly any conditions on Trump's bond -- not financial, no surrendering of passport, no restrictions on speech, nothing. The magistrate had to step in and say "whoa there, we can't have no restrictions whatsoever!" and gave some minor conditions.

Lawfare posted:

But Goodman isn’t willing to be as lenient as the government is with respect to the special conditions of that release. “Despite the parties recommendations,” he says, “I’m going to impose special conditions.” Specifically, Goodman wants Trump to avoid contact with witnesses and victims in the case except through counsel. He asks the government to submit a list of witnesses and victims so that Trump would know whom to avoid by way of abiding by the restriction.

Continuing to enumerate the special conditions of Trump’s release, Goodman further says that Trump should avoid talking to Nauta about the case. He emphasizes that he customarily would require no contact whatsoever between co-defendants. But here he recognizes that Nauta works for Trump, and it would thus be “impossible” for the usual condition to apply in this case. For that reason, Goodman says the restriction will only apply to Trump and Nauta’s communications about the case itself.

[H]e decides on a simpler course of action: The government should produce of list of witnesses, but the “no contact” restriction will be limited to no communications “about the facts of the case other than through counsel.”

“So that will be a special condition,” he declares with an air of finality.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Tayter Swift posted:

Anna Bower of Lawfare inadvertently started a 27-hour line to get into the courthouse ahead of the arraignment, and has a thorough writeup.

The prosecution suggested hardly any conditions on Trump's bond -- not financial, no surrendering of passport, no restrictions on speech, nothing. The magistrate had to step in and say "whoa there, we can't have no restrictions whatsoever!" and gave some minor conditions.

Ok I can understand why the judge would do this but requiring the prosecution to give Trump a list of specific people he definitely should NOT attempt to contact or manipulate in any way seems potentially counterproductive.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

raminasi posted:

Ok I can understand why the judge would do this but requiring the prosecution to give Trump a list of specific people he definitely should NOT attempt to contact or manipulate in any way seems potentially counterproductive.

I mean, they're going to have to give them a list of people they possibly intend to call as witnesses either way. They can't just hide who all they intend to call and surprise the defendant.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Nitrousoxide posted:

I mean, they're going to have to give them a list of people they possibly intend to call as witnesses either way. They can't just hide who all they intend to call and surprise the defendant.

According to the documentary "Night Court," you are actually allowed and encouraged to constantly call surprise witnesses. Especially during sweeps week.

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.

Tayter Swift posted:

I wonder if they didn't want to set conditions because Trump will inevitably say and do dumb poo poo that helps their case.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

greatBigJerk posted:

I wonder if they didn't want to set conditions because Trump will inevitably say and do dumb poo poo that helps their case.

That was exactly what I was wondering

Independence
Jul 12, 2006

The Wriggler

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

According to the documentary "Night Court," you are actually allowed and encouraged to constantly call surprise witnesses. Especially during sweeps week.

Imagining this whole thing as a season of Night Court really improves it.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Reasons that come to my mind:

* Fear that jailing him now could literally spark civil war
* Fear that ordering harsh conditions would put the prosecutor or magistrate in personal danger
* ~Optics~ of jailing the leading GOP presidential candidate
* Trusting that it'd be hard for the most visible person in the world to hide effectively
* Belief that his team couldn't put together a scheme to secretly fly his private jet out of the country without being found out first
* The longer he's out, the more he'll incriminate himself, loudly

Not saying they're good reasons, just spitballing.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

greatBigJerk posted:

My guess was to make it seem as "fair" to Trump as possible.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

All of this talk of Trump fleeing is reminding me of the time when Carlos Ghosn fled Japan in an audio equipment crate. I'd forgotten just how weird that whole situation was.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

I wonder how many people only know this because of My Cousin Vinny. Its the only reason I know it.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

What's the next step and when is it?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Heran Bago posted:

That's a good question. Nauta's arraignment is on the 27th (with a different magistrate), but the Lawfare post didn't mention any next steps for Trump. Given that this magistrate isn't running the trial I suppose it's not his call.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Heran Bago posted:

There would usually be a scheduling conference where the judge, the prosecution, and the defendant would agree to (or be assigned) due dates for discovery and witness lists and other pretrial work. There will be numerous pre-trial motions by both the defendant and the prosecution to try to dismiss charges, bring in or exclude evidence, and so on. These will go on for several months at a minimum I'm sure.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Boris Galerkin posted:

Reporting at the time said Nauta was present as part of his job duties. He was working as Trumps emotional security animal.

Which was also doubly hosed because the magistrate judge, unbidden and unasked, wanted to order that trump not be able to talk to any witness. The judge was apparently talked down to “not talk to witnesses about the facts of this case” because otherwise Nauta would be out of a job. Which really makes it seem like he is the perfect fall guy once Trump leaves him out hanging to dry. He seems in no position to turn states witness.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

greatBigJerk posted:

That’s my read. They’re just handing him rope.

gregday
May 23, 2003

I read that at least for Nauta, the next date is 6/27 where he is expected to have retained local counsel and enter a plea.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

I would understand if they couldn’t have a trial until after, but why not go as far as indictments and then postpone?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Tayter Swift posted:

Reasons that come to my mind:

* Fear that jailing him now could literally spark civil war
* Fear that ordering harsh conditions would put the prosecutor or magistrate in personal danger
* ~Optics~ of jailing the leading GOP presidential candidate
* Trusting that it'd be hard for the most visible person in the world to hide effectively
* Belief that his team couldn't put together a scheme to secretly fly his private jet out of the country without being found out first
* The longer he's out, the more he'll incriminate himself, loudly

Not saying they're good reasons, just spitballing.

This, plus not requesting restrictions eliminates any argument from Trump's lawyers about how the prosecution's restriction are too disruptive, poor Trump can't even live his normal life, jury members please take pity.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Charliegrs posted:

I wonder how many people only know this because of My Cousin Vinny. Its the only reason I know it.

Did you say "Yuge?"

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Charliegrs posted:

They were showing My Cousin Vinnie clips in T14 law schools 20 years ago. I bet they are still doing it today.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Pillowpants posted:

I would understand if they couldn’t have a trial until after, but why not go as far as indictments and then postpone?

No reason unless you're looking for one. It's typical to drop state charges once federal charges are pending but that's because typically federal defendants are hosed, not looking at a 50 50 shot of being able to pardon themselves federally.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

No reason unless you're looking for one. It's typical to drop state charges once federal charges are pending but that's because typically federal defendants are hosed, not looking at a 50 50 shot of being able to pardon themselves federally.

Also because the federal and state charges usually overlap. Not here of course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Fulton DA: Trump’s federal indictment will not impact our case

quote:

New York Attorney General Letitia James recently caused a stir when she said state-led cases against former President Donald Trump would have to be put on hold until the U.S. Department of Justice’s classified documents case plays out.

James, whose office is conducting a civil investigation of Trump’s alleged financial fraud, said not only her case could be delayed. She also specifically mentioned the indictment brought by Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg against Trump for allegedly falsifying business records as well as the expected indictment to be obtained by Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis.

“So, in all likelihood, I believe that my case, as well as DA Bragg and the Georgia case, will unfortunately have to be adjourned pending the outcome of the federal case,” James said during a live taping of the Pod Save America podcast. “So it all depends on the scheduling of this particular case.”

On Wednesday, the Fulton DA’s office appeared to disagree. “The federal indictments will not have any impact on the Fulton County election investigation,” the office said in a statement.

Pete Skandalakis, director of the Prosecuting Attorneys’ Council of Georgia, concurred, noting he had asked his staff to research the issue.
“They know of no law that gives the federal government the ability to go first,” Skandalakis said. “They would both go forward.”

One exception would be if the federal government had a defendant in custody and refused to release that person for a state prosecution, Skandalakis said. But that does not apply here, because Trump was released Tuesday on a personal recognizance bond.

Another exception would be for an agreement to be reached by federal and state prosecutors to allow one case to go forward and the other to wait, he said. But that apparently has not happened either.

Last month, in a letter to Fulton’s chief Superior Court judge and other county officials, DA Fani Willis hinted that she might seek indictments in early to mid-August in her long-running inquiry of Trump and his allies. Willis listed 10 days between July 31 and August 18 in which she plans to have a large percentage of her staff work remotely. Those dates correspond with days Fulton grand juries will be meeting and when they could hand up indictments against the former president and others.