Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Friends reboot set in a coffee shop in Oakland but filmed in NYC.

There are 33 degrees in Scottish Rite Freemasonry. 33 degrees is the temperature that water boils at on the Newton scale.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Angrymog posted:

I liked Drop the Dead Donkey. One of the clever things about it was how they had references to that week's news stories in it.
One of the comedy moments that made me laugh the hardest in my entire life was the "Crime Time" reconstruction when Gus takes over as director after having just watched Reservoir Dogs.

Edit: I would have put a link, but it's been deleted from Dailymotion. Spoiler: it is literally ludicrously violent

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 14, 2023

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Was it Damien who had the scorched teddy bear as part of his essential war reporter kit?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Mega Comrade posted:

I remember black books being really good. But I'm afraid to watch it again cos... Well you know.

Linehan is only involved in the first series, iirc.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

History Comes Inside! posted:

About to blow your mind right out of your head when you find out how much of TV and Film America is actually Canada

Stargåte taught me that all alien worlds look like the forests of British Columbia

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Gorn Myson posted:

I disagree with all of this, especially the idea that Boosh being random was overstated because they've had no staying power as a comedy group so the only people still saying that are ageing millennials going "do you remember this?".

I don't think a group needs to stick together to have been good originally, that's an odd argument. People who meet at uni going separate ways in their 30s seems barely notable. Barratt seems to have less desire to be in the spot light than Fielding, which is why he's done poo poo like be in a production of a Gogol play and the Majestic A Field in England as well as being in weird underappreciated shows like Flowers and Sally4Ever

Actually talking of Sally4Ever, Julia Davis is a comic writer who doesn't really get her due, probably because her stuff is often genuinely uncomfortable.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Father Ted is also really top tier stuff, but a bit difficult to enjoy nowadays because of... well, y'know.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/libertyhq/status/1668891024977002496

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Tamsin Grieg is Shula Archer in the Archers

No! She was Debbie Aldridge. Is, I should say, but Debbie is abroad somewhere nearly all the time.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Angrymog posted:

I liked Drop the Dead Donkey. One of the clever things about it was how they had references to that week's news stories in it.

A scarily accurate programme for it's time.

Loved The fast Show... Scorchio!! is currently relevant atm. :sweatdrop: :sun:

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

I don't think a group needs to stick together to have been good originally, that's an odd argument. People who meet at uni going separate ways in their 30s seems barely notable. Barratt seems to have less desire to be in the spot light than Fielding, which is why he's done poo poo like be in a production of a Gogol play and the Majestic A Field in England as well as being in weird underappreciated shows like Flowers and Sally4Ever

Actually talking of Sally4Ever, Julia Davis is a comic writer who doesn't really get her due, probably because her stuff is often genuinely uncomfortable.
I meant Monty Python continue to be influential whereas Mighty Boosh was just a brief thing for British millennials.

Sally4Ever is amazing though, and you reminding of it made me find out that Julia Davis has a podcast that I can now dig into. Deeply underrated writer and performer.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I remember the Guardian TV guide thing doing its best to sell the hell out of Mighty Boosh.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Dabir posted:

Stargåte taught me that all alien worlds look like the forests of British Columbia

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I don't think it's a show that holds up to watching it on purpose. But when a group of intoxicated friends stumble upon Mighty Boosh for the first time while channel flicking it can be the funniest thing ever. That time is gone.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's how it's spelled.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 14, 2023

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

That's how it's spelled.

That's not an a though, that's the international symbol denoting a Tory Power Stance.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Other option I suppose would be pronouncing that like a combination of Å and Δ which sounds difficult.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I don't think it's a show that holds up to watching it on purpose. But when a group of intoxicated friends stumble upon Mighty Boosh for the first time while channel flicking it can be the funniest thing ever. That time is gone.

“drunk people will laugh at it” is not exactly a ringing endorsement of a comedy

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I do like how everyone has their guns out for the box art.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Dabir posted:

I remember the Guardian TV guide thing doing its best to sell the hell out of Mighty Boosh.

I was mad about it at the time, absolutely thought it was brilliant. I think they lost it from series three.
It just didn't gel, went from unique surrealness to rehashing what they already did.
Then Noel got his own show, forget the name, and it was absolute poo poo.

One show that should have gotten more attention was Johhny Vegas' iDeal.
Perfect low key comedy.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Yeah Ideal had that same dark genius that Seinfeld had.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Surprised there’s not been any love for Peep Show in this discussion. Probably my most watched show of my late teens/early twenties

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
I loved Boys From The Black Stuff, a real knee slapper. Grinned from ear to ear with that one. Feel good poo poo, let me tell ya.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Dabir posted:

Either that or the quarry in Southern England (Dr Who).

Oh dear me posted:

No! She was Debbie Aldridge. Is, I should say, but Debbie is abroad somewhere nearly all the time.

I always thought she was Shula. I stand corrected.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

I do like how everyone has their guns out for the box art.
The canonical weak nerd seems to have bigger guns than the military guy.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

OwlFancier posted:

Other option I suppose would be pronouncing that like a combination of Å and Δ which sounds difficult.

Starglote from o after lambda.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Did they ever explain how Teal'cs head went from having a gold sheen, to not?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Yeah Ideal had that same dark genius that Seinfeld had.
:hmmyes:

Not thought about that in years.

OwlFancier posted:

Λ is pronounced like the l in lantern. The overring doubles up a letter, like hår/haar. Therefore it's pronounced like the Welsh double l sound.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I was thinking that I don't remember daniel being so buff. I guess he doesn't have his jacket off as much.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Swolegåin

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I think Shanks got into a bodybuilding rivalry with Christopher Judge at some point?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

It looks like Boris, Nadine and JRM are going to split the Tory vote?
https://twitter.com/RussellEngland/status/1667559809254555649

I didn't realise that a new party had been registered until now

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 14, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is interesting to think that after brexit purged a lot of the wets from the party, and now the brexit hardliners are off in a strop, the entire party is just... no name randos?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Jakabite posted:

Surprised there’s not been any love for Peep Show in this discussion. Probably my most watched show of my late teens/early twenties

And also That Mitchell and Webb Look, which has given us some all-time greats.

Robert Webb is an absolute melt, but the two of them worked so well together.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

And also That Mitchell and Webb Look, which has given us some all-time greats.

Robert Webb is an absolute melt, but the two of them worked so well together.

Mitchell and Webb Look is a bit hit and miss though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmYC7r4dViI

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Comedy chat and no one has yet mentioned the Fast Show? The Monty Python of the coked up 90s?

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Angrymog posted:

I forgot that show, it was amazing and by far the best domestic comedy I saw since reruns of Yes, Minister.

The way the lead journalist has a little teddy bear that he quietly inserts into every tragedy so he can have the scene “…and in the rubble, a child’s simple teddy bear” in the BBC voice.

E: to whoever asked upthread, yeah it was Damien.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

fuctifino posted:

It looks like Boris, Nadine and JRM are going to split the Tory vote?
https://twitter.com/RussellEngland/status/1667559809254555649

I didn't realise that a new party had been registered until now
That seems to be a rereg of the Vanguard Party, a Unionist party that mostly ran on culture war dogwhistles.

And failed

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I guess we're a one policy nation now
https://twitter.com/RishiSunak/status/1669050778294575133

I'm surprised that the hard-right Tories used the NatC label if it was already taken by nutters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

fuctifino posted:

I guess we're a one policy nation now
https://twitter.com/RishiSunak/status/1669050778294575133

I'm surprised that the hard-right Tories used the NatC label if it was already taken by nutters

I would assume the nutters (the other nutters) saw the NatC conference and decided to try and cash in on the branding.