Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

teen witch posted:

rando website has this follow up. This dude is not getting it.

'I never yelled towards the girl': Kelowna man accused of accosting child at track meet denies allegations

Castanet is actually a local Kelowna independent news org that grew out of a web 1.0 forum. They do good reporting. I remember in 2011 they got footage of a local shithead mountie kicking a guy in the face at the side of the road, which ended up being used in court against him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
What does this even mean? Backwards? This person's obviously an idiot because their examples are completely different styles! Zelda isn't even human for crying out loud, she's some kind of weird chipmunk elf.
https://twitter.com/Vara_Dark/status/1668294895507734528?t=dPoGKXwa-mbIVkm5Zm5Ckg&s=19

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Yeah, the straight-up hateful poo poo is why I mostly stay off twitter, it’s exhausting. My hope for this thread is it’s just the funny/stupid/self-owns by, dare I say it, Idiots on Social Media.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Remulak posted:

Yeah, the straight-up hateful poo poo is why I mostly stay off twitter, it’s exhausting. My hope for this thread is it’s just the funny/stupid/self-owns by, dare I say it, Idiots on Social Media.

Part of the problem is one person's idiot is another person's hate goblin.

Also,

Heath posted:

"lol, look at this poo poo" to "look at this poo poo, lol."

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I can't post links because it's way too local, but yesterday, someone in my hometown posted a picture of a pride flag flying in front of a house here.

99% of the responses were positive, but this one tedious aul gently caress said something along the lines of "I'd prefer if it was the tricolour" because according to him the pride flag is exclusionary whereas the tricolour includes everyone :rolleyes: This started up a whole lot of back and forth, ending up with him declaring that the silent majority actually agreed with him and everyone else was a virtue-signalling, woke blah blah blah...

Anyway, today someone posted a picture of the lifeguard on duty flag, complaining that it was exclusionary and ought to be replaced with the tricolour, and now everyone is ripping the piss out of the original pride flag complainer - the lifeguard flag apparently discriminates against people who don't swim lol.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Panfilo posted:

What does this even mean? Backwards? This person's obviously an idiot because their examples are completely different styles! Zelda isn't even human for crying out loud, she's some kind of weird chipmunk elf.
https://twitter.com/Vara_Dark/status/1668294895507734528?t=dPoGKXwa-mbIVkm5Zm5Ckg&s=19

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

It's a really good time to have this conversation, there's a whole bunch of people looking for new internet homes due to reddit management currently being the Social Media Idiots. I've had two friends ask me about SA in as many days!

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Goons using acronyms that aren't well-known assuming everyone already knows what they mean :argh:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

...! posted:

Goons using acronyms that aren't well-known assuming everyone already knows what they mean :argh:

It stands for assigned male at birth, and it's literally the first result from google.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

...! posted:

GUATAWKAEAKWTM are annoying AF, ICAM

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

All Men Are Bastards

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Zero_Grade posted:

It's a really good time to have this conversation, there's a whole bunch of people looking for new internet homes due to reddit management currently being the Social Media Idiots. I've had two friends ask me about SA in as many days!

I'm wildly amused that SA has remained stable enough to be a safe haven when shareholders melt down yet another beloved internet entity.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I only lurk this thread but yeah I’d strongly support a ‘must be an idiot outside of just bigotry’ rule. Every time there’s some straight up hateful poo poo that isn’t in any way funny it brings me down a little and I honestly don’t know why people post that poo poo in here.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

PurpleXVI posted:

I'm wildly amused that SA has remained stable enough to be a safe haven when shareholders melt down yet another beloved internet entity.

Didn't Lowtax turn down a number of offers for the site in the '00s? I recall there was some sort of feuds kicked off by that.

There but for the grace of a stubborn abusive junkie shithead go we, I guess.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

PurpleXVI posted:

It's really freaky - I've been on here for 14 years and somehow it has managed to slowly, incrementally, get better, unlike literally every other platform I can think of. There are a lot of subforums I never set foot it, so there may well be some lovely corners, but the SA I see is better than every other internet community at rooting out shitheads.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Pookah posted:

It's really freaky - I've been on here for 14 years and somehow it has managed to slowly, incrementally, get better, unlike literally every other platform I can think of. There are a lot of subforums I never set foot it, so there may well be some lovely corners, but the SA I see is better than every other internet community at rooting out shitheads.

Losing relevance is probably the best thing that could have happened to Something Awful. We all just sort of collectively grew up without getting flooded out by new waves of teens looking for an audience to be the Most Poster.

I mean, it's not the only reason it's like that, but it's part of it.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Here's something kinda innocent!

I'm bored at work looking into all the various LA comedy/podcast scene drama, because apparently it's just a pool of scumbags. I looked at the subreddit for a female comedian that's involved, and of course most of it is posting photos of her to thirst over. That's pretty standard; a woman exists and there'll unfortunately be a subreddit devoted to perving on her every move.

That's not the funny part. The funny part is that there's a person on there who comments on almost every single one as if the lady herself is making the Reddit posts, things like "You look beautiful in this picture" and "I love your smile". :allears: I guess it could be someone doing a tedious bit (which is an IoSM in its own way), but I'm choosing to think it's an Old who just discovered Reddit. :bahgawd:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Tenebrais posted:

Losing relevance is probably the best thing that could have happened to Something Awful. We all just sort of collectively grew up without getting flooded out by new waves of teens looking for an audience to be the Most Poster.

I mean, it's not the only reason it's like that, but it's part of it.

Yeah, it does feel like this place just... grew up. There are still some younger members joining, but they generally seem to appreciate the atmosphere as it is, rather than expecting it to change to match current social media trends.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

The overwhelming majority of goons are Generation Xers and, as in most things, no one cares about Generation X.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

I doubt "the overwhelming majority"

I would imagine there is a significant amount of millennial goons, with their avocado toast and no money

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Of course we have no money, we spent $10 on this forum. :v:

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I know of a handful of Gen Z goons, myself

There’s a significant population of millennials and Gen Xers who would rather die than be a millennial.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Yeah, true, we're probably mostly in that blurry Gen X/Millennial cusp born between 1975 and 1985.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

This Is the Zodiac posted:

Yeah, true, we're probably mostly in that blurry Gen X/Millennial cusp born between 1975 and 1985.

It’s typically 1982-1994, sometimes 1980-1995.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I have no clue what generation I am and don't care. I was born in '87, that's all I need to know.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

This Is the Zodiac posted:

Xennial, if you will :barf:

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

I have no clue what generation I am and don't care. I was born in '87, that's all I need to know.

You’re knee deep in avocado

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

[kicks walker out from under you]
[does the Soulja Boy dance over your old broken body]

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

teen witch posted:

You’re knee deep in avocado

I'll have you know, my fruit of choice is Kiwi. :colbert:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
technically this idiot is on non-social media but this is just the absolute perfect four-second soundbite

https://twitter.com/JoshRaby/status/1668788695845969921

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

millennials about to kill the kiwi industry

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

BioEnchanted posted:

Welcome to the forums, Gramps

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m 41 and breathed a sigh of relief when most definitions classed me as an ancient millennial, rather than the garbage ‘you had all this awesome counter culture and just turned out like the boomers’ Gen X.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Don't forget that when you share those garbage takes from idiots you're actually just giving them the attention they want. The hot take economy will always get worse because you need to be more and more insane to stand out above the crowd. At the very least try just sharing screenshots to avoid giving them the old SA invasion bump.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Lots of weird ads on Twitter for various beef products, like Beef Tallow or Beef Belly and I swear 99% of the comments are asking if the product contains mRNA vaccines in it. Not "how does it compare to other products" or "wait I thought beef tallow clogs your arteries".

Apparently Seed Oils are bad now, lots of people on the right have gotten weirdly :tinfoil: about it, which in turn drives interest back to animal based fats. I gotta wonder if the whole thing is being driven by meat packing companies that lost their shirts during the pandemic and need to justify why they charge $90/lb for ribeye or whatever. Because it reminds me a lot of how much dairies hated competing with margarine companies and did everything they could to make margarine seem incredibly unhealthy and off putting to the public.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Pookah posted:

Yeah, it does feel like this place just... grew up. There are still some younger members joining, but they generally seem to appreciate the atmosphere as it is, rather than expecting it to change to match current social media trends.

It took a while for the demand to hook, but it turns out there are people who really appreciate the opportunity to be funny without being a down-punching shithead, or to prove that it's possible.

Like, take it as a challenge! It makes you funnier!

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Oh my god, I am losing my mind. :allears:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

God's totally a "pick-me" deity. "C'mon, please worship me! I'll move all my holidays to match your existing ones as a show of good faith!"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Didn't Lowtax turn down a number of offers for the site in the '00s? I recall there was some sort of feuds kicked off by that.

There but for the grace of a stubborn abusive junkie shithead go we, I guess.

He said he was, but he also lied a lot. I'm inclined to believe it because it had a large user base and as Jefferey discovered, is financially solvent on its own so it would make sense for others to want to buy it and for Lowtax to prefer the passive income from the site rather than a single pay out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Inceltown posted:

Don't forget that when you share those garbage takes from idiots you're actually just giving them the attention they want. The hot take economy will always get worse because you need to be more and more insane to stand out above the crowd. At the very least try just sharing screenshots to avoid giving them the old SA invasion bump.

How are these people this stupid, that is literally, obviously the same person, but in one pic she is wearing a paler foundation?