Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
How many toddlers hurt themselves on slides in public parks vs slides on 6 lane highways? Astronically more, so the obvious solution is to replace neighborhood parks with just one more lane bro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Cool that people are still pulling arguments verbatim from Forester’s vehicular cycling book.

And it might work, too. The big innovation in his book was letting people cast making cycling more dangerous as compassion. Cities love falling for it.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

spacemang_spliff posted:

Now I'm no big city economist but it seems obvious that a parcel of land that has a shop or a restaurant on it generates more economic activity than one with asphalt and nothing else

correct

this also includes circumstances where a given property contains both an actual productive use and parking

once you start thinking of parking as a regressive land use, you never stop

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
An issue with rim rakes, esp if you live in a place like Seattle is water = no good, especially when hills are involved. I mainly use rear brake and only and only use front for emergency braking (yes, I know how to), that way I will never be caught with ja worn or overheated brake and not be able to bake.

as for traffic cameras, removing them in Seattle alongside the cops going on permanent vacations meant every crazy driver became emboldened, from reversing on freeways, going wrong way on one way then going across several lanes, ignoring no turns on red, honking when someone isn't.

and also just blasting through, they reduced speed limits in Seattle city limits, but it means poo poo as there is no enforcement, I see people going 40, 50 on 25-35 roads all day.

other countries with good public transit didn't suddenly stop having assholes, they have traffic enforcement as there will be always someone pumped up in testerone wanting to murder anyone they think is lesser and prove they are the baddest and strongest in town.

go for a stroll
Sep 10, 2003

you'll never make it out alive

Pillbug
remember that in addition to lax enforcement normalized during a period of low volume, many of the drivers themselves have accumulated severe brain damage in the meantime

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

If parking is such a concern in their city, I would suggest they start demolishing homes. Not only can you drive out residents with this approach which translates directly into lower demand for existing parking, but you can take those unused lots and turn them into more parking!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

:thanks:

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

lol

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

big "armor the bullet holes" vibe

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

:waycool:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Armor the cyclists. Bike in full plate, this doesn't only protect the cyclist but adds a lot of pointy bits that will scratch a car's paint job when they hit you, which is something drivers actually care about.

Plus a nice hefty gauntlet is going to make knocking off side mirrors easy and satisfying.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I have sometimes thought about carrying a satchel of stones with me on my bike to throw at cars honking at me for egregious acts like using a street, crossing a street, being in a lane, etc. Then I remember they might have a gun and I'll just have to settle for flipping them off

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
Yesterday I had some idiot repeatedly flash their brights behind me for going the speed limit, on a road where cops are known to camp for speeders.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Rochallor posted:

I have sometimes thought about carrying a satchel of stones with me on my bike to throw at cars honking at me for egregious acts like using a street, crossing a street, being in a lane, etc. Then I remember they might have a gun and I'll just have to settle for flipping them off

they'll try to kill you for flipping them off too

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Rochallor posted:

twenty years ago in Wisconsin i had the kitchen sink sized timbuk2 and kept appropriately pointy stones inside of it, but they were used on a specific bit of bike path right next to and unprotected from a 50 mph road. and by “right next” I mean I was hit by 3 cars on that half-mile stretch. they’d usually take a few swipes before hitting me. once I carried rocks, they lost a window on the second swipe. didn’t get hit again after carrying stones, though it was rare they would have to be thrown. reaching into the bag and telegraphing action was usually enough.

i was not willing to do this same thing a decade ago when facing a similar situation in a different midwestern city, people were already a lot more violent about property damage

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

By swipes at you do you mean they were swerving at you intentionally? What the gently caress

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Mauser posted:

By swipes at you do you mean they were swerving at you intentionally?

yes, that is what I mean

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Mauser posted:

By swipes at you do you mean they were swerving at you intentionally? What the gently caress

Yeah that's also happened to me several times. I was only actually run off the rode once, but I can't count the number of times people have tried. And that's not counting people honking, passing purposefully close, or rolling coal as they pass.

But there's no greater feeling than getting passed by one of those people, then catching up to them at the next stoplight and pulling in front of them again.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

I've had folks yell at me and try to murder me through negligence, but I don't think I've had anyone do it with malice that I'm aware of. I know it happens, but it makes me sick hearing it

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Mauser posted:

Lol, has that never happened to you? Happens to me regularly. In school zones.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I'm very jealous of people who've never experienced car drivers attempting to do violence towards them.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

the only thing that can stop a bad guy with a car is a good guy with a gun

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://twitter.com/WorldBollard/st...ingawful.com%2F

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
Back in texas there was a gun range I would go to about ten miles from me and sometimes I'd bike it, and there was never a time where drivers were more polite than when I had an AR slung across my back.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

I'm very jealous of people who've never experienced car drivers attempting to do violence towards them.

How can they attempt to do violence against me when they don't know I'm there?

Bushiz posted:

Back in texas there was a gun range I would go to about ten miles from me and sometimes I'd bike it, and there was never a time where drivers were more polite than when I had an AR slung across my back.

Good lord, I would like to see that.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Bushiz posted:

The most American solution to bike safety.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Mauser posted:

Good lord, I would like to see that.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Conservatives: an armed society is a polite society
Bicyclists: *arm themselves*
Conservatives: not like that

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Bollard needs to be a bit higher, the car went over the bollard, someone standing past the bollard could have been hit by the destroyed car.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

What the hell was this person trying to do? Hit the bollard hard enough to knock it over?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Ham Equity posted:

What the hell was this person trying to do? Hit the bollard hard enough to knock it over?

I don't think they were ~ trying ~ anything. I think they were on their phone / not paying attention / drunk.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

just remembered “highway hypnosis” lol

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

every mention of it always seems to be paired with a pointed mention thzt the hypnotized nonetheless drive in a “safe expected manner”

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Drivers are expected to drive forward at high speeds and ignore any signals to stop doing so, checks out.

On an unrelated note, where did you get an Old Church Slavonic gang tag?

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

great society we've got here. no notes

https://twitter.com/StreetsblogNYC/status/1669383615342313481

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Ensign Expendable posted:

Drivers are expected to drive forward at high speeds and ignore any signals to stop doing so, checks out.

it is in honor of BOOK

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
what the gently caress, how are there 200 crashes a day. isnt nyc mostly traffic gridlocked and can rarely go above 20 anyways??

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Xaris posted:

what the gently caress, how are there 200 crashes a day. isnt nyc mostly traffic gridlocked and can rarely go above 20 anyways??

Yeah, thats why there's 200 crashes a day

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

There's plenty of times and roads where you could speed if you like inside NYC that aren't gridlocked. It's not just lower Manhattan, you got at least 2 other boroughs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Ensign Expendable posted:

they give you the code after you swear allegiance to Metropolitan Korniliy and Vladolf Putler