Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Arivia posted:

is public drinking allowed in vegas? is it gonna be more besotted than the st louis parade?

Allowed?

It's mandatory

There is a stall every 30 feet selling grain alcohol filled slushies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Sources tell me Brett Hull is gonna be there

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I will never write off a team again when their good goalie is out for the year and I am forced to learn the names of the trio of other goalies they will be using instead.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Twin Cinema posted:

I will never write off a team again when their good goalie is out for the year and I am forced to learn the names of the trio of other goalies they will be using instead.

goalies are either vitally important or don't matter at all

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Add Adin Hill to the list of legendary superstar goalies winning Cups, along with one-eyed Darcy Kuemper, Jordan Binnington, Matt Murray (twice!), Corey Crawford (twice!), Antti Niemi, 85 year old Chris Osgood, Cam Ward...

And I didn't even mention how Holtby's Cup was after he stopped being good, or that MAF was never anything more than average and durable

Please continue to tell me more about how important it is that you have a star goalie if you want to win the Cup

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Three of Matt Murray’s first four seasons in the league were excellent. Corey Crawford was a career .918 goaltender. Holtby is a career .926 goalie in the postseason. I’m not sure what point you’re making.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
That the points are made up and the scores don't matter, Drew!

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

You don't need a star goalie, you just need a goalie who plays like a star in the specific two month period from the middle of April to the middle of June

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Quick and Vasilievskiy were/are superstar goalies, played big roles in their teams winning, and have combined for five cup wins (well six but this one for Quick doesn't really count). You can maybe even add Tim Thomas to that pair, his peak was much more brief but he was definitely a star in that time period.

I don't think you NEED to have a star goalie, but pretending the guys on that list weren't considered above average, at the very least, is silly. We've had randos get hot at the right time (Hill and Binnington) recently, but hoping that happens isn't really a reliable strategy. Having an above average or star goalie on the roster is the sensible decision.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

Zodijackylite posted:

That's going to be wild.
Not really. Its just going to be another of many bizarre vehicles carrying a group of people drinking beer.

I hope the Cup doesn't become another Vegas sideshow.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Having a star goalie increases your chance of your goalie giving you an adequate performance. You could argue that it doesn’t increase your chance of a goalie giving you an exceptional performance as any goalie that makes it to the NHL is obviously super talented, but what makes a star goalie is perhaps the dependability, the consistency - effectively their floor.

It’s perhaps different to skaters where the most likely players to take it to another level are your star players.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Arivia posted:

is public drinking allowed in vegas? is it gonna be more besotted than the st louis parade?

Is it legal? This isn't Utah, it's practically the identity of the Strip.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

VOTE1 posted:

Having a star goalie increases your chance of your goalie giving you an adequate performance. You could argue that it doesn’t increase your chance of a goalie giving you an exceptional performance as any goalie that makes it to the NHL is obviously super talented, but what makes a star goalie is perhaps the dependability, the consistency - effectively their floor.

It’s perhaps different to skaters where the most likely players to take it to another level are your star players.

yeah I don't think there's any debate that you would prefer most years to have an established star goaltender than Adin Hill. There may be a very legitimate debate over whether goaltending performance is predictable enough that you would prefer to give a goaltender 8+ million a season instead of spending that money on a 1st pairing defenceman.

I mean if Carolina could pick up Juuse Saros to be their starter for next season they would snap him up without even thinking.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
The worst Cup-winning goalies had a sv% around .905 - .915. And they had to be bailed out by their offense.

You cannot win a Cup with a bad goalie. And an average goalie will need offensive support.

I still can't believe Quick pulled a 1.41 gaa in 2012.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Starsfan posted:

yeah I don't think there's any debate that you would prefer most years to have an established star goaltender than Adin Hill. There may be a very legitimate debate over whether goaltending performance is predictable enough that you would prefer to give a goaltender 8+ million a season instead of spending that money on a 1st pairing defenceman.

I mean if Carolina could pick up Juuse Saros to be their starter for next season they would snap him up without even thinking.

It’s probably a lot cheaper to get the tenth best goalie than the tenth best defender though. Case in point will be if Winnipeg trade Hellebuyck.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
You don't need a good goalie but most competing teams are going to have some decent option, most NHL goalies are capable of playing really good for ~20 games and even if they're average or worse people will say nice things about them when they win.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

You don't need an elite or even Top X goalie, you just need to find a guy who can imitate one for the two months stretch from April-June

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

So they ever going to fix this LTIR hack or will nhl continue to wither on the vine of the big 4

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Not sure I'm with you on that being the one thing holding them back.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Finals ratings down 42% yoy with the least watched cup clincher in 30 years because it's a healthy league ran by people who know what they're doing. I've had it! Plus there's a conspiracy against the Leafs

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm not going to watch the finals this year because 3 years ago Kucherov and Tampa exploited LTIR.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

sweet thursday posted:

Finals ratings down 42% yoy with the least watched cup clincher in 30 years because it's a healthy league ran by people who know what they're doing. I've had it! Plus there's a conspiracy against the Leafs

It was on TNT as opposed to ESPN. You can't draw anything like a comparison there.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

VGK captain played for free as well. Seems like he made an impact this post season

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

It was on TNT as opposed to ESPN. You can't draw anything like a comparison there.
Healthy leagues play on TNT

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mark Stone played 43 games this season.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Mark Stone's neck took another captain out for two games in the playoffs

That's clutch

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

Also it was a mismatched series between two teams absolutely no one outside their tiny home markets cares about.

I don't really care if hockey is popular or not really, I just want it to be good. Hockey in general is about as good right now as it's ever been. This was the dullest playoffs I can remember though. Only 3 out of the 7 series the last three rounds even reached Game 6. Only one reached Game 7.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 15, 2023

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

sweet thursday posted:

Healthy leagues play on TNT

The NBA has been on TNT for 35 years.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Am I allowed to compare their ratings to the NHL then?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

Also it was a mismatched series between two teams absolutely no one outside their tiny home markets cares about.

I don't really care if hockey is popular or not really, I just want it to be good. Hockey in general is about as good right now as it's ever been. This was the dullest playoffs I can remember though. Only 3 out of the 7 series the last three rounds even reached Game 6. Only one reached Game 7.

It reminded me of the Tampa v Montreal final series. Not in market size, just how good the games were. Montreal just wasn't that good in the series and Florida really wasn't that good in this one. Vegas wasn't even playing a boring game, but they stifled Florida's ability to score and had a bunch of absolutely dominant shifts in the OZ.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The league is massively popular. It's like the fifth or sixth most profitable pro sports league on the face of the earth - billions of dollars in revenue - and the cap is going to keep going up. More importantly, it feels like the game is more fun than it's been in a long time. Caring about the ratings is such a stupid thing to fixate on.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

It's all dependent on teams anyways. We're four years removed from the 4th most watched NHL game ever in the St. Louis/Boston game 7. Hockey is considerably less popular than basketball, but who cares? Is there some sort of league ranking we all need to be worried about? It's not like the NHL is on the verge of financial ruin. Would I like more Americans to be hockey fans? Absolutely. Is the NHL terrible at marketing itself? Yes. Is there any serious problem with the state of the game today? No.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Product on the ice is the best it's ever been. I'd like the product in the league office to match it.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
What more are they supposed to do? While not as popular as the other major NA sports, hockey is more profitable and popular than ever, there are two new franchises, the NHL is back on ESPN, the sport of hockey itself is growing and American NHLers are starting to come from places that weren't considered "hockey markets" like Florida, Arizona, and California, the cap is projected to go up by as much as $10 million by 2025. People love to bitch about the league, and they're certainly not perfect, but claiming that the NHL is totally inept and mismanaged is just not true.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

sweet thursday posted:

Product on the ice is the best it's ever been. I'd like the product in the league office to match it.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Yeah these aren't the days of the NHL on OLN. Hockey is an overgrown regional sport and likely always will be. It's barrier to entry is high and it's not a cultural signifier for Americans like football, baseball and (more recently) basketball are. It could be doing better no question, but there's only so much control the league has over people's time and interest in a saturated sports marketplace.

These things come in ebbs and flows. The NBA is in a very strong position but it's age of globally recognized superstars is slowing with the end of LeBron and (to a lesser extent) Curry's career. Guys like Giannis, Jokicand Donic don't have the same pull as those guys and the league will likely see slowed growth over the next decade or so unless someone comes around that captures people's attentions. Baseball has seen a steady decline in interest for years. I'm not saying hockey is going to leap into that pending gap, but it could well see a rise in viewership if scoring stays up and some popular teams have sustained success.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Does hockey *need* to be more popular?

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Does hockey *need* to be more popular?
Give this man a corner office

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Jamwad Hilder posted:

What more are they supposed to do? While not as popular as the other major NA sports, hockey is more profitable and popular than ever, there are two new franchises, the NHL is back on ESPN, the sport of hockey itself is growing and American NHLers are starting to come from places that weren't considered "hockey markets" like Florida, Arizona, and California, the cap is projected to go up by as much as $10 million by 2025. People love to bitch about the league, and they're certainly not perfect, but claiming that the NHL is totally inept and mismanaged is just not true.

Getting DoPS to give a poo poo about player safety would be nice to start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

ThinkTank posted:

Yeah these aren't the days of the NHL on OLN. Hockey is an overgrown regional sport and likely always will be. It's barrier to entry is high and it's not a cultural signifier for Americans like football, baseball and (more recently) basketball are. It could be doing better no question, but there's only so much control the league has over people's time and interest in a saturated sports marketplace.

I’ll never forget the days of hockey games being the lead-in to Mecum Auto Auctions lol