Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

christmas boots posted:

I would play Hitman But In Ancient Mesopotamia for sure

THAT is Ea-Nasir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
It's harder to make a historical game hitman, I think. You know how couriers massagers work today and it's easier for you to come up with idea to dress as someone and use their tools. And by necessity those games already bend social portrayal in these games for the sake of narrative, which is common for the historical media. So I can't imagine them doing it properly without a clearly spelled out common rule (Liberation, Vita game, had this) or clearly highlighted "opportunities" like Ea-Nasir has a meeting with a foreign copper merchant with a personal complaint, it's a good opportunity to impersonate the guy and get close to Ea-Nasir.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Watching the trailer and gameplay of Mirage just really makes me miss AC Unity. It was so incredible to me. I enjoyed Origins and Odyssey fine, but by the time Valhalla came around I was pretty burned out on that formula and never picked up it.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

sudo rm -rf posted:

Watching the trailer and gameplay of Mirage just really makes me miss AC Unity. It was so incredible to me.

Couldn't agree more!

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

sudo rm -rf posted:

Watching the trailer and gameplay of Mirage just really makes me miss AC Unity. It was so incredible to me. I enjoyed Origins and Odyssey fine, but by the time Valhalla came around I was pretty burned out on that formula and never picked up it.

I'm really sad they abandoned the ideas presented in Unity instead of iterating on them

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Buschmaki posted:

I'm really sad they abandoned the ideas presented in Unity instead of iterating on them

what were they?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rinkles posted:

what were they?

Unity, mostly. Some Liberty and fraternity too, I’m guessing.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Rinkles posted:

what were they?

Equipment radically changing your approach and which of the three systems (Combat, Social Stealth, Normal Stealth) you'll utilize in a mission. A return to a single fully realized city instead of a more "open" open-world. Four player co-op which synergizes with the diversity in approaches allowing a mission to be tackled by multiple angles. More thoughtful intentional combat. There's a lot of stuff in Unity that if polished wouldve been really exciting to see

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Soloing the coop missions was (mostly) a lot of fun.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Buschmaki posted:

A return to a single fully realized city instead of a more "open" open-world.

to be fair, they did at least follow up on that in Syndicate. which i thought was a well done city but would have been nice to have some of the surrounding countryside, especially since there were carriages you could race around in etc

i think Brotherhood is the best of all the "one city" style games though.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Rinkles posted:

what were they?

i think paris was the single best city they've ever made, and the assassination missions as i remember them were extremely well-done, being really open-ended and having fully-fledged buildings with explorable inside areas.

the combat wasn't the insta-chain-kill stuff from the earlier games and and it wasn't the silly damage-sponge stuff from the later ones.

i also really enjoyed the story. yes it was basically just romeo and juliet, but i thought it was well done. i was invested in the characters.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Buschmaki posted:

Equipment radically changing your approach and which of the three systems (Combat, Social Stealth, Normal Stealth) you'll utilize in a mission.

They did that in Odyssey (and thoughtful combat in other RPG entries) and true fans say it's not a real AC if you have to apply some effort to instakill enemies.

Also this is totally going to be a mostly single city, what do you mean?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

ilitarist posted:

They did that in Odyssey (and thoughtful combat in other RPG entries) and true fans say it's not a real AC if you have to apply some effort to instakill enemies.

Also this is totally going to be a mostly single city, what do you mean?

There was no social stealth in Odyssey! Not a single trace of it! It was significantly-better-game Valhalla that brought back hanging out with monks and sitting on benches to stab a guy :colbert:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Oh the other things about the social stealth heavy segments of old AC games is that while everyone hated the instant-failure slow trailing missions, they were also opportunities to infodump on the player. You would spend a few minutes learning about your target as a character and get some story rolled out for you on what they are trying to get done, so the story felt more compelling and real.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
To be honest, I quite liked Unity's parkour. It could be a bit finicky but there was actually a lot of freedom you had in ways no other game in the series really did.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Wolfsheim posted:

There was no social stealth in Odyssey! Not a single trace of it! It was significantly-better-game Valhalla that brought back hanging out with monks and sitting on benches to stab a guy :colbert:

I understand you imply that social stealth is a bad concept, but I've just replayed Unity and I clearly see why Buschmaki talks about improving and updating those mechanics, not just bringing them back.

And also I don't think AC ever wanted to be a game too complex. Even with optional objectives. Mirage sounds like they may do something with replayable missions to give you Hitman light, kinda like later additions in Valhalla included modes where you have to pay attention.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Odyssey is kind of a stand out in that you are playing a mercenary, not an assassin (and the assassin order doesn't exist yet), and while stealth is sometimes an option it's certainly not an emphasis, and it's also noteably the only AC game in which killing civilians doesn't result in a game over, instead they fight back, you have some godlike powers etc.. i understand why AC "traditionalists" dislike it because it changed the formula a lot but personally i think its one of the most fun open world games of its time regardless of how it fits in the rest of the series

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Unity and Syndicate (Syndicate to a much greater degree) were clearly taking cues from the Batman games on movement.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Earwicker posted:

Odyssey is kind of a stand out in that you are playing a mercenary, not an assassin (and the assassin order doesn't exist yet), and while stealth is sometimes an option it's certainly not an emphasis, and it's also noteably the only AC game in which killing civilians doesn't result in a game over, instead they fight back, you have some godlike powers etc.. i understand why AC "traditionalists" dislike it because it changed the formula a lot but personally i think its one of the most fun open world games of its time regardless of how it fits in the rest of the series

Ubisoft is too cowardly to once again give players the teleporting magical dagger they crave.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

exquisite tea posted:

Ubisoft is too cowardly to once again give players the teleporting magical dagger they crave.

In case you didn't see the demonstration - Basim totally has the teleporting magical... himself, I guess.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

ilitarist posted:

In case you didn't see the demonstration - Basim totally has the teleporting magical... himself, I guess.

It was very 'I had this exact power in Shadow of War'.

I'm a bit torn on it because while I am pro giving the player options, this one feels like it might trivialise stealth approaches a bit too much.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

That power would have been handy when he tried to shank Eivor and Sigurd! :shrug:

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

To be fair things like that clearly represent quick reflexes and speed of the hero. For some reason we've come to accept that stuff like slowing down time or sensing if someone spots them is normal thing for videogame heroes. Which is another reason why I don't understand why Odyssey has supposedly gone too far in terms of abilities.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Because that sorta stuff in AC is caca

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Earwicker posted:

its true, i've seen a pretty wide range of opinions about Valhalla but exactly none of them have been "this Basim guy is cool they should make a game about him". disliking that guy is one of the few nearly universal opinions about the game.

I liked Basim!

Though I'm kind of curious how this Basim prequel thing will work, since a big part of Basim's characterization in Valhalla stemmed from the whole reincarnation of Loki thing, which would be weird to work into a story in Baghdad.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Basim is fine IMO but the ending is kind of a hard sell

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

I liked Basim!

Though I'm kind of curious how this Basim prequel thing will work, since a big part of Basim's characterization in Valhalla stemmed from the whole reincarnation of Loki thing, which would be weird to work into a story in Baghdad.

Eh Valhalla makes it reasonably clear that at some point Basim was a genuine assassin and at some point got 'awakened'.

And then he decides to go to Norway to spend a thousand years in suspended animation for... reasons.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Mirage doesn't excite me but it doesn't help that one of the trailers involved the developers telling you that they've brought back mechanics that used to be pre-Origins games.

Thats fine, but I can't get excited for "guess what? We've brought back the ability to do things you've already done a million times, years ago". I'm more interested in the setting, the characters, the plot and so on and I don't find any of that compelling so far (even if Baghdad does look pretty).

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Alchenar posted:

And then he decides to go to Norway to spend a thousand years in suspended animation for... reasons.

He doesn't do it willingly, it was a fluke after he gets smacked by Eivor and trapped in super mind jail.

I think his original plan was to kill Eivor/Odin (and Sigurd/Tyr but mostly because he was close by) for revenge and then do...whatever...to free...somebody? So when he wakes up a thousand years later by accident and Eivor is already dead he just kind of shrugs and picks up where he left off

At least that's how its presented in Valhalla, I'm sure a series of bizarre retcons and contradictory novels and tie-in comics will obfuscate it so badly that they do another soft reboot down the road to wipe the slate clean yet again

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Earwicker posted:

i remember sometime last year there were vague rumors about a central asian game with a mongolian protagonist in the time of the golden horde, which would have been awesome, but probably too far from "traditional ac" for what they are trying to do now

I can't think of a LESS AC environment than "the open steppe of 14th century Mongolia". Even Karakorum was pretty dang flat, give or take a couple of minarets and one big pagoda.

Earwicker posted:

imo it would be cool if they used the modern day story to show how history has changed places. set the modern day segments in some of the same places as the historic segments so you can see what's changed and what's remained, how the architecture has been worn down or broken or rebuilt over time, that sort of thing. maybe even the modern day protagonist remembers some ancestral skills and pulls off an assassination in a crowded tourist district near some ruins or whatever! the last thing i want to be looking at is a loving laptop on a desk.

They kind of did that in Unity (you got to see Paris in the Belle Epoque ; although it was for bit parts so they didn't really lean into it) and Syndicate (I forget if it's DLC or post-game stuff, but there's another bit part set in WW1 London, which is odd because I'm pretty sure London never got invaded by Zee Germans in WW1 but there you go).
I agree it would be a cool concept to see one city evolve through time, and since they've opened the door to immortal characters you could even play the same guy/gal throughout. "Oh no, they've gone and built a Starbucks where I shanked that guy in 150 AD ! Ah well, might as well shank a guy with a sharpened latte straw, just for old times' sake"

ilitarist posted:

It's hard to say anything bad about Syndicate. It was fine, it had little ambition so it didn't do anything too wrong.

Making all the original songs play only in taverns was a very dumb decision cause it's the best part of the game and you basically have no reason to go to taverns.

Well, one can try.

They gutted parkour from Unity, and then as a finishing touch gave you a batclaw so you didn't even HAVE to do any parkour at all.
The tone shifts are brutal and unpredictable, and worse even when it's being serious it really downplays how loving awful Victorian society was. Where's the Peterloos ? The rampant racism/jingoism/antisemitism ? The workhouses, the whores with syphilis-addled faces and their *kids* with syphilis-addled faces, the opium dens ? Where are all the guys collecting piss for money ? Etc etc... Instead we got Doofy Marx, Quirky Queenie and plucky little orphans.
The combat is easily the worst it's ever been mechanically, and also graphically because there's only like 3 finishers per weapon and only three weapons (four if you count fists) so you see the exact same poo poo fight after fight after fight.
The city is very samey - Paris had tons of characters in its admittedly theme-parky themed arrondissements, London is all factories and docks all of the time (except in that one toff corner of the map).
The missions are just as samey, with copy/pasted factories to liberate and copy/pasted high points to climb. The story murders are alright, but there's not many. I struggle to remember any really memorable setpiece, other than conquering the train. You don't even have a climactic fight above a vat of molten steel or boiling sulfur, which considering the really cool opening is a giant missed opportunity.
The characters being different was a nice idea, except it wasn't because they differ in exactly one skill (and Evie's is vastly superior). Also no Fashion Creed, which was a big letdown after Arno's giant wardrobe.
The various Templars don't *do* anything. They simply exist, and then you kill them and they don't. The arch-villain is basically a cartoon caricature, too.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Soloing the coop missions was (mostly) a lot of fun.

I only did a little multiplayer with randos when Unity got a bit of a revival a few years back ; and it was... well it sure was something, being paired with Dude Who Beelines Every Objective Frame Perfect (and doesn't wait for anybody), Dude Who Runs Straight At Nearest Guard and Dude Who Still Crouchwalks All Sneaky-like 500 meters away from the giant battle royale the previous guy started. Dude Who Stutter Walks Everywhere Then Abruptly Delogs was also a common party member.

I'm sure it was more fun with actual friends and communication, but alas...

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

What up, Unity is underrated crew. I played it years after release, after all the bugs had been worked out, and enjoyed it quite a bit, even if the story does fall to pieces by the end. Paris is a great city to explore in it, definitely one of my favorite cities of the franchise.

Syndicate is weird in that I quite enjoyed it when I played it, but I barely remember a thing about it and had recently kind of forgotten it existed until it was mentioned in this thread.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Kobal2 posted:

Well, one can try.

I see all of those issues as "could have been better" not bad as it is. None of this irritated me or felt that bad, it was mediocre and inoffensive even if every part could have been better. It's forgettable, but for every game in the franchise I can lost things that actively interfered with my enjoyment of the game, and in Syndicate there was very little of that.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Lord Hydronium posted:

Syndicate is weird in that I quite enjoyed it when I played it, but I barely remember a thing about it and had recently kind of forgotten it existed until it was mentioned in this thread.

That's pretty much it, yeah. Play an hour of Syndicate, you've played 150 hours of Syndicate. It will all be exactly the same, and you'll remember none of it. Even 3 wasn't *this* oatmeal.
(granted, the bits of 3 that really stand out are 75% bits you REALLY loving HATED to 25% playing as smooth schmooze Master Haytham ; but still.)

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

AC3 remains undefeated in its killing animations, by far the best in the series

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Mate, have you forgotten cool Valhalla Mortal Combat-style X-Rays?

I have forgotten too, but you've reminded me.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

sudo rm -rf posted:

I'm partial to Unity, but that's really on the back of one (1) move I can't get enough of. It's a sword finisher where Arno makes just a tiny half-step forward followed by a lightning-fast lunge at the throat. Because that's all it takes, really, you don't *have* to hack at a dude twenty times. And Arno's already en garde for another guy.

loving elegant, that move is. Like murderdancing.

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jun 15, 2023

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

ilitarist posted:

Mate, have you forgotten cool Valhalla Mortal Combat-style X-Rays?

I have forgotten too, but you've reminded me.

ah, i never got around to valhalla - it's entirely possible they win, but AC3 definitely set an extremely high bar.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

sudo rm -rf posted:

Altair and Ezio both had a level of grace in their moves. Connor just bodies you like a loving freight train

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I never saw those x-rays because the first thing I did after installing the game was turn them off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

sudo rm -rf posted:

ah, i never got around to valhalla - it's entirely possible they win, but AC3 definitely set an extremely high bar.

I was joking of course. In terms of animations Valhalla may be decent, but the problem is 8f you fight enemies effectively you see the same animations over and over and over. Some take like 7 seconds. They've eventually added options for animations to not hijack camera the way it did on release, but it's still annoying.