Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
https://twitter.com/mathewBaker9/status/1669170626521624577

(watching the clock at 9:58 in the midst of an escalating brawl) Starting to worry we might not get even one informative video package about all this...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Christ Regal Memorial: meat v meat no story no consequence no soul

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Seams posted:

Christ Regal Memorial: meat v meat no story no consequence no soul

Now we know how Mr. Regal came back from the dead.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Big meaty men? Bumping meat? :smugjones:

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Last year's PPV proved Tanahashi was a name enough to draw but people gonna keep moving those goal posts

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
An all timer bad take on top of all the other ones
https://twitter.com/BrianRSolomon/status/1669188513349115904

Takeshita perhaps the single most self-driven can't ignore him dark to main event talents in AEW history is a charisma vacuum

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
That guy who impressed the crowd so much on his TV debut that they were cheering their asses off and now ravenously boo his heel run the second he shows up? Yeah, zero charisma. :smuggo:

Coolness Averted posted:

Super Ego Ethan Page is his face persona, obviously
What would "All Id" Ethan Page be like?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

They're brain cell vacuums with these takes

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

MassRafTer posted:

Now we know how Mr. Regal came back from the dead.

he is risen :pray:

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

I haven't watched the show tonight yet, but my son is 8 and knows nothing about NJPW and is insanely into us going to forbidden door, and even made an "advent calendar"with his mom where they had entries like "look up a Japanese wrestler you saw on the show tonight". Whenever someone new debuts he either asks me about them or wants to look them up on Google, and he doesn't even make it through all the matches. It makes me sad that these twitter dudes have so little joy and wonder about what they watch that they imagine some hypothetical casual fan that somehow also gives up on learning easier than a hyperactive 8 year old.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

a new guy is one of the most exciting things in life

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The always fun argument that “it feels like homework catching up on this” like they don’t watch enough or post enough already about the subject far more than if they were just doing the homework

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Imagine in the 90s when WCW and WWF had those crossover shows with Japan companies. No internet even! They must've sold negative numbers.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Sega 32X posted:

I haven't watched the show tonight yet, but my son is 8 and knows nothing about NJPW and is insanely into us going to forbidden door, and even made an "advent calendar"with his mom where they had entries like "look up a Japanese wrestler you saw on the show tonight". Whenever someone new debuts he either asks me about them or wants to look them up on Google, and he doesn't even make it through all the matches. It makes me sad that these twitter dudes have so little joy and wonder about what they watch that they imagine some hypothetical casual fan that somehow also gives up on learning easier than a hyperactive 8 year old.

absolutely adorable kid

Atillo
Jan 9, 2007

Bonk posted:

That guy who impressed the crowd so much on his TV debut that they were cheering their asses off and now ravenously boo his heel run the second he shows up? Yeah, zero charisma. :smuggo:

They are actually yelling “VacuOOOOOOOOOOm”

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Do you think these people who demand a 10 minute video package and explanation for everything in wrestling are the same people who talk during movies and then say they can't figure out what's going on?

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Love the ever-present "casual fans won't understand what's going on" argument that persists to this day.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Broke: people asking "how am i supposed to know who these people are without weeks of promos talking about them?" instead of just paying attention to the story told in the ring.

Woke: A wrestler immediately proving how good they are with a match, winning the approval of the fans organically.

Bespoke: Don Callis makes anyone associated with him over, truly the kingmaker of our era.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

super macho dude posted:

Love the ever-present "casual fans won't understand what's going on" argument that persists to this day.

The 'casual fan' who if they just randomly tune into a wrestling TV program and don't care about angles are indeed the ones most likely to just enjoy people pretending to fight with neat moves.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
watching season one episode one of breaking bad and turning it off halfway through because they keep introducing new characters and there's no established stars

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

One of the first episodes of Smackdown I watched had the Krissy Vaine debut and I swear the Hade Vansen vignette was only a few weeks after that. Somehow, I didn't swear off wrestling and stop watching forever, so maybe I'm just built different idk

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

One of the first episodes of Smackdown I watched had the Krissy Vaine debut and I swear the Hade Vansen vignette was only a few weeks after that. Somehow, I didn't swear off wrestling and stop watching forever, so maybe I'm just built different idk

as someone who frequently makes jokes about Hade Vansen, who the gently caress is Krissy Vaine lmao

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Krissy Vaine is made up. I know you're a little new around here Erin but trolling is against the rules.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Alaois posted:

as someone who frequently makes jokes about Hade Vansen, who the gently caress is Krissy Vaine lmao

Okay so when I first started watching there was a SmackDown episode where a blonde woman randomly attacked one of the Divas, I think it might have been Candice Michelle. Eventually years later I realized that she never showed up again and my brain had just justified it as "oh maybe it was Michelle McCool or something" because I didn't know who anyone was. Looking it up it was Krissy Vaine, who was there for literally just that attack and then left three days later because her boyfriend, who was also signed, quit. The only reason I remember this is because it just so happened to be the first episode of Smackdown I ever watched, which was main evented by Undertaker beating Mark Henry in three minutes.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Atillo posted:

They are actually yelling “VacuOOOOOOOOOOm”

I was at the show and yelling "VacuOOOOOOOOOOOm"

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Okay so when I first started watching there was a SmackDown episode where a blonde woman randomly attacked one of the Divas, I think it might have been Candice Michelle. Eventually years later I realized that she never showed up again and my brain had just justified it as "oh maybe it was Michelle McCool or something" because I didn't know who anyone was. Looking it up it was Krissy Vaine, who was there for literally just that attack and then left three days later because her boyfriend, who was also signed, quit. The only reason I remember this is because it just so happened to be the first episode of Smackdown I ever watched, which was main evented by Undertaker beating Mark Henry in three minutes.

Lucha Libre USA star too https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krissy_Vaine

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

turns out her boyfriend is konner

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I mean, personally if I was watching a wrestling promotion that was building to a crossover event with another promotion and there was a main event brawl that features a guy I didn't know I would probably assume that it was a guy from the other promotion, but I guess I'm the weird one.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

The first full show I watched of wrestling was the WCW Nitro after Hogan and the nwo had formed and it was all about how no one knew who to trust and who might join next and I didn't know who anyone was but I thought it was real captivating.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Shard posted:

The first full show I watched of wrestling was the WCW Nitro after Hogan and the nwo had formed and it was all about how no one knew who to trust and who might join next and I didn't know who anyone was but I thought it was real captivating.

Main event of the first wrestling show I watched as an adult was a 10 man tag where Triple H, CHris Benoit, Dean Malenko, Perry Saturn and Eddie Guererro faced Cactus Jack, The Rock, Rikishi, Scotty Too Hotty, and Grandmaster Sexay. The end sequence involved run ins from all of D-Generation X and the return of Kane and Paul Bearer. The only person I knew of all of these guys was Cactus Jack. I had no idea what was going on but I was hooked.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Remember when tazz debuted in wwf and it was this dude just turning up to kill kurt angle and JR just saying 'ITS TAZZ'. Like as a kid watching this I've never seen a minute of ecw or have any clue who this guy is but who cares because this tazz guy marching down to the ring to break some necks is a big deal and my child mind gets this instantly

Imagining this guy going 'its who? Yawn. Way to build characters, why should I care about this guy. Where are my social media vignettes and qr codes'

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
- But what was his motivation?
He had a guitar and hates his guts so bonked him with it
- I'm afraid I don't understand

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

The first episode of wrestling I got a friend of mine to watch turned out the be the Raw after Mania where Lesnar returned to the WWE after his UFC run and all he knew was that Lesnar was A Cool Big Guy Who Just Killed That Other Guy and now he goes to his local indy every month.

It's a little sad to see so many people be so incurious but it's also really funny

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Dean Malenko removes his Ciclope disguise, revealing that he's returned to get his revenge on Chris Jericho. The crowd erupts in cheers and Jericho looks like he's seen a ghost.

"WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING WHY'D THAT GUY TAKE HIS FACE OFF?!?"

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

The first wrestling show I watched was the February 21, 1999, Raw, the one that ended with Stephanie's teddy bear being set on fire. That was the middle of the whole Ministry of Darkness/Corporation angle, and yet I was somehow able to figure out enough of what was going on to continue watching until I was up to speed.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

To these people Matt Taven must be the perfect wrestler since he consistently explains who he is.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Appropriate since they're all melvins

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

To these people Matt Taven must be the perfect wrestler since he consistently explains who he is.

who is he?

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

He's Matt Taven

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
His name is finlay, but why does he love to fight