Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Guess I'll have to complete the altar/renown grind first.
Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Char posted:

Okay so explain me

I barely managed to complete the capstone WT2->3 dungeon
I just died 12 times in my first nightmare dungeon

I have a sacred weapon but the rest is 4 stars upgraded yellows imprinted for a minion build

What should I be supposed to do now if there's no helltide?
Please don't tell me "go blood" or "go bone spear" because I don't like either builds

this isn't directed at you specifically but with all the minion questions in the last page or so I feel like people need to start posting their builds because I have a feeling a lot of the issues are coming from

IcePhoenix posted:

Minion necro owns even in t4 you just have to commit to it and stop pretending like you need to be doing damage yourself

e: vvv idk if this is sarcasm or not but I linked to one in the very post from myself that I'm quoting vvv

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jun 15, 2023

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It would be nice if there was an online portal or something that we could link to to show our builds easily.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I dont understand fortify. Is it just a damage reduction that uses a weird health comparison to trigger?

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Black Griffon posted:

I whisper progress persistent or does it reset when you log out like bounties in D3?

Persistent

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Black Griffon posted:

Even without imprinting I had a very comfortable number of legendaries around 30. Sounds like real bad luck yeah.
I just hit 33 with Barb and have an amulet (quest reward RIP Vigo ), two rings, and one weapon. No armor and my other three weapons are blues or yellows. The best part is that none of my skills are willing to use the orange weapon (any skill that uses a two-hander is using the other two-hander, and i dont know how to change/fix it).

edit: I did find two orange one-handers but they were mediocre and bad, respectively.

edit2: and I really want to replace the amulet because the special shield effect it has is counter-productive to my build.

edit3: https://d4builds.gg/builds/a6f0cb3f-bb6c-4506-bbec-abe074b8cdeb/ that is the gist of my build: Leap in, Deathblow the injured thing, Double Swing to injure the next thing and make it vulnerable, Deathblow it, rinse and repeat. Ground Stomp and Whirlwind to use in certain situations.

explosivo posted:

Have you been imprinting Rares to make Legendaries? That's kind of the whole point of the codex and ability to extract things from one piece of gear that you need to put in a different slot.
Is this something I should be doing at level 33 when in Act 3 of the main quest on WT1? I forget what I did with the oranges I'm not using... I'm guessing I was dumb if I sold them instead of stashing or doing ??? with them (I do not understand what all this imprinting / aspects / affixes / extracting / codex nonsense means or how to interact with it).

Substandard posted:

Complaining on the Internet works!
This post is me officially complaining that I need more high quality loot.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 15, 2023

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

ZeusCannon posted:

I dont understand fortify. Is it just a damage reduction that uses a weird health comparison to trigger?

Yes. If your fortify amount is greater than your current health, it activates and you take 10% less damage. If your fortify amount is less than your current health, it does absolutely nothing :)

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Is this something I should be doing at level 33 when in Act 3 of the main quest on WT1? I forget what I did with the oranges I'm not using... I'm guessing I was dumb if I sold them instead of stashing or doing ??? with them (I do not understand what all this imprinting / aspects / affixes / extracting / codex nonsense means or how to interact with it).

Yes of course, it's useful all throughout the campaign. You can take a good aspect off a legendary and imprint it on a higher level rare to upgrade without losing the effect (once). Aspects from the codex can be imprinted infinitely but are always min roll

Char
Jan 5, 2013

IcePhoenix posted:

this isn't directed at you specifically but with all the minion questions in the last page or so I feel like people need to start posting their builds because I have a feeling a lot of the issues are coming from

Sure I'll comply
https://d4builds.gg/builds/0ee8eea0-5444-4f93-a8c9-fa2149269312/
I don't have any useful helm imprint nor I can imprint anything on my weapon, I need 10 baleful thingies, got 0
Also I have like 6 paragon points

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

ZeusCannon posted:

Yeah basically. You build up fortify health with whatever skills you have that do that, and when fortify hp > normal HP, you get the Fortified status (signified be a fancier health globe border), which gives you 10% damage reduction. Both your fortify generation rate and the damage reduction you get while fortified can be buffed by gear. Your fortify hp also decays naturally over time.

Also, when you do an Overpower attack, it adds up your hp +fortify hp and tacks the sum into your damage for that attack.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

You can, although it's probably not super important at the stage of the game you're at right now. You should start to get into the habit of at the very least checking which legendaries have aspects that could potentially be useful to you in the future and extracting it at the occultist instead of dismantling or selling it. Those aspects that you extract can only be used once. The codex has aspects that are gained by completing dungeons around the map (the ones that have the little treasure chest icon) and those can be imprinted as many times as you want, but they have the lowest possible roll so they're not amazing.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

explosivo posted:

You can, although it's probably not super important at the stage of the game you're at right now. You should start to get into the habit of at the very least checking which legendaries have aspects that could potentially be useful to you in the future and extracting it at the occultist instead of dismantling or selling it. Those aspects that you extract can only be used once. The codex has aspects that are gained by completing dungeons around the map (the ones that have the little treasure chest icon) and those can be imprinted as many times as you want, but they have the lowest possible roll so they're not amazing.
Thank you for the explanation. At first reading, if I am understanding correctly, this sounds like it is tedious and sucks? Am I missing something? I never played D3 or other ARPG or MMO games so I may just be new to the concept.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Hulk Krogan posted:

Yeah basically. You build up fortify health with whatever skills you have that do that, and when fortify hp > normal HP, you get the Fortified status (signified be a fancier health globe border), which gives you 10% damage reduction. Both your fortify generation rate and the damage reduction you get while fortified can be buffed by gear. Your fortify hp also decays naturally over time.

Also, when you do an Overpower attack, it adds up your hp +fortify hp and tacks the sum into your damage for that attack.

Is Fortify a health bar or does it just add more beef to existing hit points (starting at the bottom)?

E.g. if you gain 100 fortify on 100 hit points, is your total effective HP closer to 200 or 110?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

At first reading, if I am understanding correctly, this sounds like it tedious and sucks? Am I missing something? I never played D3 or other ARPG or MMO games so I may just be new to the concept.

Maybe I'm just doing a bad job explaining it, I don't really find it tedious or sucky; unlocking codex aspects only takes one dungeon clear and can be accessed across all of your characters. You're doing those dungeons anyway so the codex unlocks are a side benefit. The ability to extract aspects means you can get a piece of gear that has a loving fantastic aspect but everything else is irrelevant to your build or is a piece of gear that you can't afford to replace and put that aspect on a different piece of gear with better stats. I think it's a pretty great system that allows for a lot of flexibility with regards to what gear you have or are looking for since you can pretty affordably shuffle around aspects from one piece to another.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Thank you for the explanation. At first reading, if I am understanding correctly, this sounds like it is tedious and sucks? Am I missing something? I never played D3 or other ARPG or MMO games so I may just be new to the concept.

It's pretty straight forward in that its a thing you will do in town when youre also selling off random junk and stowing stuff in storage.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

This post is me officially complaining that I need more high quality loot.

So the codex is basically a repository of basic powers/bonuses that you can apply to your weapons/armor/jewelry. You primarily get these from the first time you clear a dungeon - you can see ahead of time what codex aspect is going to be rewarded, so you can look on the map to find ones that seem useful to your class and build. The occultist can imprint that codex on any rare or better (I think) that meets the requirement - offensive aspects go on weapons, gloves, and jewelry for instance. It does take some materials including needing the mats you get from salvaging legendaries, so it can be hard to imprint a lot until you are finding spare oranges you don't mind salvaging. The codex aspects can be imprinted unlimited numbers of times once unlocked - though of course you can only have one copy of that aspect equipped (additional copies do nothing).

Aspects you imprint from the codex are always the minimum roll on any range value. If theres an aspect that says 'Basic Skills have a (10-25%) increased attack speed', the aspect from the codex will always be the 10%.

If you find an orange that has a power that you might want to use but it's on an item that sucks you can extract it at the occultist and later on put it on a better item. Extracting costs nothing but gold. This is one-time only though - so don't use the aspect on a weapon that you are constantly replacing as you level. The aspects you get from drops can roll higher than the ones in the codex, and there are aspects that can only be found as drops.

If the orange item looks like it has a power that it useless to your build, salvage it for mats that you can then use for imprints.

While leveling, if you find an aspect from a dungeon or a drop that seems cool for your build, plop it onto an item that isn't important - unused weapon slots are perfect for this, or gloves/boots etc. Generally don't waste materials imprinting on your weapon since you replace it often, and your torso armor is also one that provides a huge chunk of armor so is important to replace as you level.

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 15, 2023

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Char posted:

Sure I'll comply
https://d4builds.gg/builds/0ee8eea0-5444-4f93-a8c9-fa2149269312/
I don't have any useful helm imprint nor I can imprint anything on my weapon, I need 10 baleful thingies, got 0
Also I have like 6 paragon points

So this is a perfect example of what I was saying before about splitting your focus. Blight and decompose are your only sources of shadow damage but you only have one point in blight, and you have six points in gloom and terror when the only one doing shadow damage is yourself because you're using cold mages. Those aren't a problem though, coldbringer's aspect is a ton of damage, though you should try to find the aspect that gives you two extra mages (three if you put it on your amulet) to really get them going.

Other optimizations that stand out to me:

-You don't have any blood orb generation. That unique chestpiece is literally just armor value and nothing else. Mother's Embrace isn't super useful either because of what I mentioned above but at least the crit strike and damage carries over to your summons.
-Skeletal defenders don't do enough damage to make them worth using offensively and monster/summon AI makes them way too unreliable to use defensively.
-Hellbent commander is good but I find it's generally better for using at a distance with your mages because you're less likely to take damage that way, which makes Death's Embrace wasted points. I'd pick between the two because if you want to stay in melee range to get the Death's embrace buff you're going to be taking a lot of incidental hits that knock off Hellbent commander. If you keep hellbent commander then your death's embrace points should be going to Death's reach
-Try to get the aspect that makes blight pull enemies in so you can ditch corpse tendrils for army of the dead or decrepify
-Just on a personal level I don't like using blood mist because its uptime isn't enough where I feel like it will save me from a situation that I can't get out of in other ways, which frees up that slot for the skill you didn't take from the previous point.

Otherwise it's just a matter of finding aspects and being able to use them. Once your survivability gets better you can swap the blood golem for the iron golem and use his cooldown as an additional source of vuln as well.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 15, 2023

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

At first reading, if I am understanding correctly, this sounds like it is tedious and sucks?

No?

esquilax posted:

Is Fortify a health bar or does it just add more beef to existing hit points (starting at the bottom)?

E.g. if you gain 100 fortify on 100 hit points, is your total effective HP closer to 200 or 110?

Fortify amount does nothing whatsoever on its own. It only matters once it is >= your current HP. It's not an extra HP bar or anything.

It'd be closer to 110 in your example, it's just 10% DR once it turns on.

e: though it can be reduced by attacks, so it's not like you'd get 10% DR as you get HP chunked away unless you're generating more Fortify as well

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Magus42 posted:

Yes. If your fortify amount is greater than your current health, it activates and you take 10% less damage. If your fortify amount is less than your current health, it does absolutely nothing :)

So it's only doing anything if you got that little shield around your health globe?

Also I've seen some screenshots with all the UI elements "left justified" I guess you'd say, is that a setting or is that just for consoles

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

zoux posted:

So it's only doing anything if you got that little shield around your health globe?

Correct. If it's lower than your health and you don't have the fancy globe it's not doing anything at all.

quote:

Also I've seen some screenshots with all the UI elements "left justified" I guess you'd say, is that a setting or is that just for consoles

That's just normal on console; if someone joins local co-op they take the other half.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

ZeusCannon posted:

It also gets added into overpower damage so it a big offense stat as well

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

zoux posted:

It's a setting somewhere to put everything on the left. I think the value of fortify is class dependent, druids have a lot of things that interact with it even if you aren't currently fortified like aspects that buff damage based on fortify amount or paragon nodes that provide DR based on fortify amount. Otherwise though unless you have the armor around your health globe it isn't doing much.

I'm curious if it's implemented so if you take a big hit if it will mitigate the portion of it that goes into where you would be fortified. I doubt it, but it would make it better or at least more reliable.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Okay played around with Flurry a bit and that is very satisfying. I unlocked the Encircling Blades aspect but I don't have enough materials to imbue it on something yet.

Is there a recommended slot I should imbue that aspect in? I'm guessing my ranged weapon doesn't matter since I'm never using it to shoot anything, so should I put it there so it's not replaced very often?

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

euphronius posted:

Oh you're right, I forgot about that, so technically there's some benefit if it's lower than health.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Harrow posted:

Okay played around with Flurry a bit and that is very satisfying. I unlocked the Encircling Blades aspect but I don't have enough materials to imbue it on something yet.

Is there a recommended slot I should imbue that aspect in? I'm guessing my ranged weapon doesn't matter since I'm never using it to shoot anything, so should I put it there so it's not replaced very often?

Range weapon or gloves is the best option while you are leveling.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

zoux posted:

It's a setting you can change in the gameplay settings on PC (HUD Configuration). I kinda hate it, I like the idea of it but it makes it harder to see your health/resource at a glance.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

What triggers overpower? Is it just specific skills?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

ZeusCannon posted:

3% native chance plus class abilities / skills

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

ZeusCannon posted:

3% chance in general, but certain skills can force it (like the Blood Surge upgrade that makes it happen after every 5 normal casts)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Overpowers can crit as well. If you were wondering

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Overpower is a cool and new mechanic that translates defensive beef into offense

I’m calling it new becuase I can’t think of an analog in another game. Poe has an armor scaling mechanic iirc.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Gloves, +skills and crit chance are solid starter mods + relevant applied aspect for any rogue build in general

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

explosivo posted:

It's a setting you can change in the gameplay settings on PC (HUD Configuration). I kinda hate it, I like the idea of it but it makes it harder to see your health/resource at a glance.

Yeah I wish they let you have UI addons like in WOW so I could see my procs. I'm running a key passive that procs a full globe of spirit + 5 secs of 100 percent crit and while I try and keep track of all that stuff in my peripheral I miss it all the time.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I have pants that have like 40% damage reduction on them

Don’t think I’ll stop using them forever

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

euphronius posted:

I have pants that have like 40% damage reduction on them

Don’t think I’ll stop using them forever

Is it possible to hit 100% damage reduction, and would that always mean you take no damage, or does Blizz have some mechanic that weasels out of that?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That would be 100% physical right ? Armor does not transfer 1:1 to elemental right

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

I just hit 33 with Barb and have an amulet (quest reward RIP Vigo ), two rings, and one weapon. No armor and my other three weapons are blues or yellows. The best part is that none of my skills are willing to use the orange weapon (any skill that uses a two-hander is using the other two-hander, and i dont know how to change/fix it).

you can change what weapon is used when you assign the ability - if you're on PC hit A and mouseover any ability, hitting mouse3 rotates through the weapons you have equipped

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Supposedly each bit of DR stacks multiplicatively so if you had 50% and 50% that'd halve the damage once, then halve it again instead of adding together to be 100%

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Barb skills will auto-pick the weapon it thinks does the most dps until told otherwise.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Just now learning about lucky hits lol. Oh dear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Magus42 posted:

Oh you're right, I forgot about that, so technically there's some benefit if it's lower than health.

if its lower than health im p sure it still applies to any hit that brings you into fortify on the portion of damage that goes beyond your unfortified life