Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Mak0rz posted:

Between this guy and Kellogg I have to wonder what the gently caress was up with this association between cereal grain consumption and whacking off?

I've always assumed it was a similar phenomenon to how much of facebook mom health poo poo is dedicated to "You can cure cancer with lemon juice and paprika" in that people tend to obsess over finding extra cures and virtues in the stuff they already have access to. Got a lot of wheat? Flavor for that wheat expensive? What a coincidence God hates masturbation but he sure loves wheat and hates flavor!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

My dad to this day orders chicken tenders from the kids menu when I take him anywhere that doesn’t have steak or burgers. It’s insane how little flavor he eats.

What's it like being the child of an extra terrestrial?

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

theironjef posted:

I've always assumed it was a similar phenomenon to how much of facebook mom health poo poo is dedicated to "You can cure cancer with lemon juice and paprika" in that people tend to obsess over finding extra cures and virtues in the stuff they already have access to. Got a lot of wheat? Flavor for that wheat expensive? What a coincidence God hates masturbation but he sure loves wheat and hates flavor!

No, Kellogg and Graham's brand of particular religious hangups really did revolve around the idea that getting as much as a whiff of pleasure from something was essentially one step removed from dancing naked with the devil under the full moon.

But we're talking about the guy who got people to put yogurt up his butt, "enjoying food is sinful" is not the weirdest idea Kellogg ever had

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Dameius posted:

My dad is from a tiny midwestern town, and whenever he visits me in the city he has to eat at his “favorite restaurant” which is a chain of bar & grills you can find anywhere in America.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Arivia posted:

Aren't there also really strict regulations about importing raw vegetables/other farming stuff from country to country? Like I remember customs being really strict about not having DIRT on you the last time I came to Canada (they likely have good reasons, I just remember it seeming funny), so potatoes which are basically big seeds in dirt might be affected.

The good reason is likely to avoid non-endemic soil bacteria suddenly showing up in Canada.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PharmerBoy posted:

Got a "white pizza" (alfredo sauce). They didn't like it.

They’re right.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

The good reason is likely to avoid non-endemic soil bacteria suddenly showing up in Canada.

Yes! That kind of thing. Exactly, good reasons just making it awkward to import your favourite potatoes even if you'd just bring a bag home with you on the plane or whatever.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Dameius posted:

My sister and I sat down one day and put together a list of everything my dad eats. Since my mom wasn’t cooking two dinners this was also a list of everything we were fed growing up. The only vegetables on there are carrots (but specifically carrots cooked with a pot roast) and salad but he added salad after his doctor gave him poo poo after I had moved out.

The complete list: Roast, pizza, steak, burgers, spaghetti, Tyson chicken, turkey, bacon and eggs, ham, pork chops, roast carrots, fries, Mac and cheese, Dry salad

Childhood was Pizza Hut once a week, McDonald’s once a week, spaghetti once a week, deep fried chicken tenders and fries once a week, and the other three days were some combo of roast, McDonald’s again, Mac and cheese, Outback, or breakfast for dinner.

It took a long loving time to work my way out of that nutritional black hole.

Edit: school lunch was spaghettios and meatballs with Doritos every day until I got to highschool and started actually eating their food sometimes. Breakfast was cinnamon toast. I’m not sure how we survived.

Fork of Unknown Origins has a new favorite as of 20:56 on Jun 15, 2023

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

This was put about by rich people in Europe once everyone could afford spices. Kind of want to know what recipes tasted like before then - I know there's a medieval english Cinnamon Ham, someone's probably got some notes on that
I'll take the Cinnamon Ham over Nutmeg Trout.

White pizza is like pizza with red sauce, only not as good.

Halloween Jack has a new favorite as of 21:06 on Jun 15, 2023

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

PharmerBoy posted:

I got together with my midwestern family and traveled to the southwest US. Local fast food tacos? Too out there, we had to make a second stop at Wendy's. OK, let's try something else they can't get at home, a dedicated German restaurant. Nope, too ethnic.

They ordered pizza. Got a "white pizza" (alfredo sauce). They didn't like it. Rural Midwest is a black hole of flavor.

Tried eating at a "Mexican" joint in St Joseph, MO and it was like a retirement home where the owners got their cuisine explained to them over the phone from an old white person in Jacksonville, FL.

We didn't even get past the drink order before we gave up and left.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Not funny, but also too baffling for me to tell if it’s virulently hateful:

https://twitter.com/GOP/status/1669448717198303232

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Ha ha dumb idiots with their obsession with public transportation and their impossible mega projects. Nothing exemplifies poorly understood logistics like a train, history's most failed transport vehicle!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Vib Rib posted:

Ha ha dumb idiots with their obsession with public transportation and their impossible mega projects.

Now Hyperloop, that's an idea we can get behind!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Now Hyperloop, that's an idea we can get behind!
Can we also dig a bunch of tiny car death tunnels in a 2 mile stretch underground and call it innovation?

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Vib Rib posted:

Ha ha dumb idiots with their obsession with public transportation and their impossible mega projects. Nothing exemplifies poorly understood logistics like a train, history's most failed transport vehicle!

Yeah! Now moon bases and manned Mars missions, that's a little more realistic.

https://twitter.com/GOP/status/1319715289328766980?s=20

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

lmao if Trump even paid attention to three of the words in that bullet list when some dingleberry aide tried explaining them to him using finger puppets and flash cards

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Data Graham posted:

lmao if Trump even paid attention to three of the words in that bullet list when some dingleberry aide tried explaining them to him using finger puppets and flash cards
he heard "high speed internet" and went yeah sounds great I hate when movies buffer

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Hardcordion posted:

Yeah! Now moon bases and manned Mars missions, that's a little more realistic.

https://twitter.com/GOP/status/1319715289328766980?s=20

He probably did a lot of those things the first four years he was President right? Right?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The first four years were for "priming the pump", it's a phrase he invented

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

lol

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

Mak0rz posted:

Between this guy and Kellogg I have to wonder what the gently caress was up with this association between cereal grain consumption and whacking off?

There's a Buddhist tradition of avoiding the "five pungent vegetables": garlic, onion, green onion, chives and leeks, as well as spicy food, because they inflame sexual desire. There was a great episode of Chef's Table about a Korean nun who makes meals adhering to this diet.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

My dad is from a tiny midwestern town, and whenever he visits me in the city he has to eat at his “favorite restaurant” which is a chain of bar & grills you can find anywhere in America.

Is this just a thing parents do? I've tried to persuade mine to try some of the unique little local food shops near me, but they always refuse and insist on getting the same bland supermarket sandwiches you can get anywhere. They're from a little village in the UK and have also told me the first time they saw a bell pepper in a shop was when they were in their thirties, and that my grandmother refused to ever eat pasta because she considered it to be some weird foreign thing.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Kevin DuBrow posted:

There's a Buddhist tradition of avoiding the "five pungent vegetables": garlic, onion, green onion, chives and leeks, as well as spicy food, because they inflame sexual desire. There was a great episode of Chef's Table about a Korean nun who makes meals adhering to this diet.

Please do not invite this nun to our potluck

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

onions are the horniest of vegetables

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Crashbee posted:

Is this just a thing parents do? I've tried to persuade mine to try some of the unique little local food shops near me, but they always refuse and insist on getting the same bland supermarket sandwiches you can get anywhere. They're from a little village in the UK and have also told me the first time they saw a bell pepper in a shop was when they were in their thirties, and that my grandmother refused to ever eat pasta because she considered it to be some weird foreign thing.

Nah. My parents (extremely white; one is from Toronto by way of Newfoundland, one from New Jersey, both in their late 60s) will try pretty much anything once. Sure, my father likes a good steak or roast beef, but that's not all he eats.

Now my grandmother (specifically my father's mother, the Newfoundlander) was a cooking disaster, and directly responsible for me not knowing I liked lamb or pork until I was in my twenties because the only time I ever had them was when visiting, and they were the driest things imaginable... and same with Brussels sprouts, except those were soggy mush.

Platystemon posted:

They’re right.

Best pizza I've had in the last few months was fior de latte, Gorgonzola, roasted brussels sprouts, prosciutto slivers, dates, walnuts, and a drizzle of honey, on a little bit of olive oil and garlic white sauce. It's just different. Very good though if you get a good one.

Prism has a new favorite as of 00:45 on Jun 16, 2023

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Sorry to go back to Re: "white" culture and bland tasteless food.

Tasteless food is not confined to pale skinned middle class Americans/Westerners.

You people should try eating Dhal. Bland, poo poo, mushy yet lumpy. When eaten by itself it tastes of nothing, and if you are mad enough to add it to a proper dish, then it actively detracts from the taste.

Lentils. gently caress em.

In it's sole defense though, Dhal is piss easy to make, and eaten with yoghurt and rice can be a cheap and filling substitute for eating actual food.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
https://twitter.com/pearlythingz/status/1669436221192392721?t=l1HvTE0Yd-St4_Stzq9QOA&s=19
Interestingly, I hear this lady was previously married to some other youtuber but she was so insufferable he divorced her. I feel that at best her gimmick exists as a warning to other women, "Don't let internalized misogyny fester or you'll end up like me!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
can't even imagine voluntarily being a scab mod for fuckin reddit ceo number go up

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Is this Reddit forcing the protesting subreddits to go public again? That definitely seems tyrannical, sure is on-brand for Reddit.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

can't even imagine voluntarily being a scab mod for fuckin reddit ceo number go up

Redditors.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

...! posted:

Is this Reddit forcing the protesting subreddits to go public again? That definitely seems tyrannical, sure is on-brand for Reddit.

It's removing the moderators and shoving in ones who will take them public again, apparently!

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

credburn posted:

I get that they're angry because Bud Light acknowledges that trans people exist, but why are conservatives so pissed off about Target?

because the noise machine didn't tell them that Walmart also had pride stuff

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

You and your subordinate units will spearhead//lead the destruction of human//animal online dating

EXECUTE CORE DIRECTIVE

gently caress//MARRY//KILL

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

BrigadierSensible posted:

Sorry to go back to Re: "white" culture and bland tasteless food.

Tasteless food is not confined to pale skinned middle class Americans/Westerners.

You people should try eating Dhal. Bland, poo poo, mushy yet lumpy. When eaten by itself it tastes of nothing, and if you are mad enough to add it to a proper dish, then it actively detracts from the taste.

Lentils. gently caress em.

In it's sole defense though, Dhal is piss easy to make, and eaten with yoghurt and rice can be a cheap and filling substitute for eating actual food.

Where do they cook Dhal without spice? Every time I've had it, it has plenty of seasoning and spice, that's usually why you have yogurt with it.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Lentils are fantastic. They’re versatile, cheap, tasty, and healthy. Wouldn’t really like to eat them plain, but that’s true of most foods.

People making fun of white people food are generally making fun of midwestern food and generalizing it to all white people and at this point it’s just a tired joke. Of course there are always people hearing the joke for the first time, but it’s been run into the ground a hundred times over for me.

Elysiume has a new favorite as of 01:34 on Jun 16, 2023

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/reddit-protest-blackout-ceo-steve-huffman-moderators-rcna89544

quote:

Reddit CEO Steve Huffman said Thursday that he wants to bring an end to a user-led protest that has made large parts of the influential website inaccessible this week. Huffman said in an interview that he plans to institute rules changes that would allow Reddit users to vote out moderators who have overseen the protest, comparing them to a “landed gentry.”

Idiot Is Social Media

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Elysiume posted:

Lentils are fantastic. They’re versatile, cheap, tasty, and healthy. Wouldn’t really like to eat them plain, but that’s true of most foods.

People making fun of white people food are generally making fun of midwestern food and generalizing it to all white people and at this point it’s just a tired joke. Of course there are always people hearing the joke for the first time, but it’s been run into the ground a hundred times over for me.

It extends to Appalachian food, though maybe with more butter and lard.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
See also performative hatred of mayo.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

So called foodies when you ask them to try a true "white people food"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cvWCDe0SKc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Elysiume posted:

British people have a sandwich that is just toast in between bread