Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
The shark stick vac I got also doesn't have any hair roll! I was ready to clean it all up and get the hair off of it and there just wasn't any. It's some sort of magic.

Zero VGS posted:

I got the $100 Ninja blender at Costco thinking it's going to suck because Shark vacuums which are from the same company have a really bad rep.

Ninja and Shark stuff both came out what, 20-30 years ago on infomercials and therefore seemed lower quality. SharkNinja goods now are good generally across the board.

Besides you can just pack it up and return it in 3 years right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
Thanks y'all for the soundbar advice. I saw a $500 Polk recommended on Wirecutter but I'm just looking for a minor upgrade. I don't need surround or dealing with a receiver and speakers. My ears are hosed so spending a ton of money isn't worth it to me, I just want better and easy to use with ARC. Sounds like any of the cheaper ones at Costco work. Sonos is interesting but the sub is more than I'd like.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

They don't carry the one that I bought, but I picked up a $120 Yamaha soundbar from Costco in 2018/2019, and it's still working like a champ.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

binge crotching posted:

They don't carry the one that I bought, but I picked up a $120 Yamaha soundbar from Costco in 2018/2019, and it's still working like a champ.

Seconding the Yamaha. I had a basic YAS-107 soundbar with no sub for a few years and it was fine.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I’m also part of the Shark mafia. My understanding is that bagless vacuums are basically a consumable resource so don’t get too attached to them - dust will get into the mechanism and eventually break them. Sharks work well and won’t break the bank. If you want a vacuum thats designed to work for decades (with repairs), invest in a Miele.

First time at Costco in way too long!!! Finally returned those godawful dried mushrooms (horrid; mostly inedible stems). Only bought a few things and spent… checks notes… 419 United States dollars. WTF

Most expensive item was replacement heads for my electric toothbrush though

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

err posted:

Anyone recommend eyeglasses from Costco? If I have my perscription can I just use it there?

I'm a little late to posting to this. Costco currently is giving $50 each pair of glasses after the first one. They have frames as cheap as $60 so you're paying mostly for lens.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
New frozen mango showed up in my store and it's not good. They somehow managed to make it 60% mango cores.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

AmbientParadox posted:

2 years ago I went to the nearest costco bc my mom was coming to visit our new home and we needed a bed. So I bought the queen sized mattress + box spring in person. I tied it to the roof of my prius, solo, and drove home on some minorly hilly roads. First, multiple dads stopped by me tying it down and made comments like "don't forget to tie it down in the front" while failing to notice it already tied down in the front. Then the drive home was messy because the bed would sometimes lurch forward on hard stops.

When we replaced our ikea mattress last year, I just ordered the new mattress online. Two guys delivered it and set it up. They also then left a bunch of trash in my yard and bedroom, and spit gum onto the carpeted bedroom floor. I contacted Costco customer service and reported it all and got a $100 credit. This past winter we combo'd some really goofy refrigerator deal where if you got a specific LG fridge, they included a dormroom/breakroom fridge for free, and you could also get $300 off the price if you included a $50 tiny fridge. Those were all delivered fine with zero headaches.

I guess my point is, there's pros and cons to both, but the convenience of delivery for large items should not be discounted.

Oh yeah for sure, I just didn't want people to mistakenly think it's free shipping. I recently had 32 cubic feet of soil delivered to me for an extra $80 fee and they dropped a pallet in my driveway. Probably would have taken 5 trips to my local hardware store to get that stuff home let alone lugging it into and out of my car. Money truly is a thing that magically makes certain problems go away.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Alucard posted:

Oh yeah for sure, I just didn't want people to mistakenly think it's free shipping. I recently had 32 cubic feet of soil delivered to me for an extra $80 fee and they dropped a pallet in my driveway. Probably would have taken 5 trips to my local hardware store to get that stuff home let alone lugging it into and out of my car. Money truly is a thing that magically makes certain problems go away.

Thirty two cubic feet is five cubic feet more than a cubic yard which you maybe could have gotten from a local landscape supply dropped in a pile on your driveway without any plastic and a lot less fuel burned. A yard at my local place is $49. I am fortunate enough to have a flatbed pickup so I have it dropped in the back like a Silverado commercial from 1994 with Like a Rock playing in the background but they deliver for a fee, which is probably less than $80.

For next time ya know.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Does anybody know if it's possible to get Costco concierge to help buy something on Costco.ca from the USA?

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Why is it a running joke here that sams club is bad but no one ever seems to even mention BJs?

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

pencilhands posted:

Why is it a running joke here that sams club is bad but no one ever seems to even mention BJs?

They remember the best. They remember the worst. But no one gives a single flying poo poo about the :mediocre:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

StormDrain posted:

Ninja and Shark stuff both came out what, 20-30 years ago on infomercials and therefore seemed lower quality. SharkNinja goods now are good generally across the board.

Besides you can just pack it up and return it in 3 years right?

I think vacuums are probably the 90 day policy, but anyway it was my mom who said Shark has sucked and she has like 20,000 hours of vacuuming experience over several hundred models, not joking.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Yeah we get it your mom sucks a lot. No need to track working hours for bragging rights

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Zero VGS posted:

I think vacuums are probably the 90 day policy, but anyway it was my mom who said Shark has sucked and she has like 20,000 hours of vacuuming experience over several hundred models, not joking.

But that is what it's supposed to do :smug:

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Also if your mom had to go through several hundred vacuums to get 20,000 hours it means (most generously) that she's getting less than 70 hours of use per vacuum. Maybe your mom doesn't know how to suck right?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
If a Shark isn't reliable enough for you, you can get a refurbished Oreck XL commercial vacuum for like $150. That's the sort of vacuum that runs day-in day-out 365 days a year in hotels and are made to actually be repairable by the local vacuum shop you probably didn't even realize your town still has.

Pretty happy with my Shark. Only had it maybe ~5 years but, man, that thing sucks real good. The attachment is rear end on stairs though. Definitely a downgrade from the cannister vacuum for that task.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

ZVGS: shark vacuums suck
Literally every other goon weighing in: actually they're really good
ZVGS: well ACTUALLY my mom vacuums more than you and says it sucks

lmfao

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

pencilhands posted:

It's insincere to discuss something you haven't experienced.

Somewhat seriously, Sam's club and Costco are the big players and have more of a market share. Looking around, the closest BJs to me is several hundred miles away, and I had never even heard of them before. There appear to be maybe 2 dozen of them nationwide, and all appear to be centered around Ohio. It would be kind of like discussing Buc-ee's outside of the South.

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug

CzarChasm posted:

It's insincere to discuss something you haven't experienced.

Somewhat seriously, Sam's club and Costco are the big players and have more of a market share. Looking around, the closest BJs to me is several hundred miles away, and I had never even heard of them before. There appear to be maybe 2 dozen of them nationwide, and all appear to be centered around Ohio. It would be kind of like discussing Buc-ee's outside of the South.

I have three BJ's within 15 miles of my house. vOv

They are OK, but Costco is clearly superior. Though they do offer delivery to my house at non-Instacart prices, so they have that going for them. And post-pandemic, sometimes BJ's will have stuff that Costco either can't get or won't stock.

In short, the Philly suburbs are a land of contrasts. Anyways, I'll have a Number 1 and a large Frosty.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
If Costco doesn't bring back the onion dispensers I'm going to kms

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Big Grunty Secret posted:

Just ask for onions. They give quite a bit in those cups.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
the cup is no fun. i want the tactile sensation of cranking those onions out myself

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Big Grunty Secret posted:

Please, anything but kilometers!

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

thathonkey posted:

the cup is no fun. i want the tactile sensation of cranking those onions out myself

this! I need to watch it get dumped on the glizzy

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

thathonkey posted:

I cranked it right into my mouth!

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

MisterOblivious posted:

If a Shark isn't reliable enough for you, you can get a refurbished Oreck XL commercial vacuum for like $150. That's the sort of vacuum that runs day-in day-out 365 days a year in hotels and are made to actually be repairable by the local vacuum shop you probably didn't even realize your town still has.

Pretty happy with my Shark. Only had it maybe ~5 years but, man, that thing sucks real good. The attachment is rear end on stairs though. Definitely a downgrade from the cannister vacuum for that task.

Orecks are great! I just replaced the belt and brush in mine and it’s running like new. drat thing must nearly 20 years old. They can pry it from my cold dead hands.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
The thing about Sharks is that unless you are extremely gentle with your vacuum something is going to break in 2-3 years on it and you will have to get a new one because you can't get parts or whatever broke isn't covered by the warranty, etc. They are made to be disposable and replaced with the next slightly different Shark model with whatever gimmicky plastic crap they've stuck on that year. It's fine to buy, just know what you're getting into.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

MarcusSA posted:

Just ask for onions. They give quite a bit in those cups.

yeah i actually had more onions than i would have normally used. onions are back but the meta is different and im ok with that.

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

david_a posted:

Most expensive item was replacement heads for my electric toothbrush though

fyi you can get bootleg ones on amazon for cheap

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Dick Fontaine posted:

Orecks are great! I just replaced the belt and brush in mine and it’s running like new. drat thing must nearly 20 years old. They can pry it from my cold dead hands.

My partner and I were discussing this earlier. While I like the commercial aesthetic and simplicity, are they good on carpet? As in, do they do a good job by beating the poo poo out of my carpet and wearing it faster?

I have a Kirby vac right now that I think does a great job and is about 30 years old so I'm not really in the market, just curious. I got the shark to do the stairs and just as a lower barrier vacuuming solution so I can do touch ups and clean more often.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
My local church has the mango smoothies now. Not immediately a fan, it tastes less like mango and more like reconstituted Phillipine brand dried mango.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Listen here you little poo poo: I asked her for a spare vacuum a year ago, and she's like "well I have 8 house vacs and 2 shop vacs in the basement, but here take this one" and she gives me one of this model from the 1960s or something

And I'm thinking how good can this ancient artifact possibly be? But it's ludicrous how loving strong and effective this thing is. And I forgot how nice being able to just toss the bag out is.

I'm just saying, my mom's OCD about vacuuming and we grew up with pets. She's like Saint Vacuum. Don't mock her opinions!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

i trust the guy whose mom has 10 vacuums

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Shredder posted:

fyi you can get bootleg ones on amazon for cheap

I've never had good experiences with the fake ones. They never fit on the little metal tab correctly, so there's both a larger gap between the head and body of the brush for water, toothpaste, etc.. to collect in, AND (the worst part) they aren't tight enough and vibrate inside my skull.

Non toothbrush chat;
Do other Costcos have the super special "Costco Only" Cabot frankencheese that's a special combo of cheddar and parmesean? Or is that, like, a Northeast exclusive item?

A guy upthread mentioned the Dubliner cheese, and while that's good, this Cabot is better.

Lick Joe
Sep 30, 2000
Forum Veteran
Did their pizza get markedly worse over the pandemic or do I have a Costco pizza-specific form of long Covid affecting my olfactory senses. I assume it tastes exactly like they want it to taste since they're all made by PizzaBot 5000 but homey seems to be lacking an IncludeFlavor() function.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It's always been like that

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I wouldn't know, since they got rid of the only kind of pizza I cared about there (BRING BACK THE GOD DAMNED COMBO SLICE!).

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
those old horizontal vacuums are fuckin beasts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Yeah but how many entire heavily-used beds has his mom returned