Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Awww they like you and want to come back to see you. That's sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Vasudus posted:

3 months ago: You have to badge in twice a year to your home office. We don't care if it's two days in a row and then you gently caress off for 363 days.

Like why even bother at that point.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Zero One posted:

lol

I just got out of a 60 minute long "half hour" meeting that was nothing but unanswered questions.

What about this situation? What about that? What happens when? And so on.

Wow that’s better than what we had gotten. No one even knew who to ask to get the answer “we don’t know”, no meetings to tell us “we don’t know” just a vague RTO plan with an implied “or else” and many people didn’t even have desks or a specific office building to return to

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Midjack posted:

Like why even bother at that point.

Devil's advocate here but you need at least some evidence someone is where they say they are and your office assets are for a declared function so you can accurately report state taxes and such

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

remigious posted:

Urgh I’m feeling adrift and could use some advice. Almost 2 weeks at my new job I don’t know, I just feel lost. I thought I was managing 2 proposals, but it turns out all that really meant was “make an outline and the PM will fill in the content.” I’m used to doing everything myself. I have nothing to do now. There is no one training me. The CEO told me on day one that she won’t give me projects and I need to be a self-starter. But I’ve dicked around doing busywork and don’t even know what to pretend to do anymore. Should I schedule a meeting with her to ask for some more direction, or just lie low and try to enjoy the slow times?

That's bullshit imo but if you wanted to "demonstrate initiative" you could work on building out that proposal materials library maybe

But lol

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

remigious posted:

Urgh I’m feeling adrift and could use some advice. Almost 2 weeks at my new job I don’t know, I just feel lost. I thought I was managing 2 proposals, but it turns out all that really meant was “make an outline and the PM will fill in the content.” I’m used to doing everything myself. I have nothing to do now. There is no one training me. The CEO told me on day one that she won’t give me projects and I need to be a self-starter. But I’ve dicked around doing busywork and don’t even know what to pretend to do anymore. Should I schedule a meeting with her to ask for some more direction, or just lie low and try to enjoy the slow times?

Honestly it feels like they're looking for you to be operating at the concept level instead of the actual implementation level. Figure out things that the company could actually do something with that haven't been done before, write an outline, get buy in (CEO?), then let a PM implement it and move on while giving advice etc.

I don't know what role you've actually been hired for, but if you're allowed to make your own goals that's a golden opportunity to just make something up that you'll be interested with, instead of being told what to do.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
OP's job is to exist and be a part of the personal empire of whoever hired them. That's it. Any serious attempt at actually doing anything will only result in frustration and stress.

OP is literally being paid to do nothing. It's a great opportunity, if you look at it the right way, and take advantage of it.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

HiroProtagonist posted:

That's bullshit imo but if you wanted to "demonstrate initiative" you could work on building out that proposal materials library maybe

But lol

Lol, my thoughts exactly, been working on this. Also made some templates so we can at least use the same fonts/colors for each proposal.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
My last job I didn’t do anything for a solid 2-3 months after being hired. I kept asking my boss for work and he kept responding “I dunno man, it’s just slow right now”. So I picked a cubicle in the back of the office and just played chess all day for months. That was for one of the major consultancies.

Eventually left that job for my current job, which is fully remote. I actually wouldn’t mind going into the office a couple days a week just for the change of scenery, but they closed the office in my city in 2022, so oh well.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I hear things like these stories (got hired, had nothing to do for weeks/months) and don't know whether to feel envious or sympathetic. The day goes by a lot faster when you have something to do, but on the other hand I'd love to get hired somewhere and not have to hit the ground running and be making a difference by day three or so.

Narrator: Nothing he did made a difference. Anywhere.

But seriously, my current job is probably the slowest onboard I had in my career, and even that I was leading multiple project meetings by the start of week 2. I didn't know who anyone in the meeting was, but I was leading the poo poo out of that stuff. :v:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

At one of my previous jobs I got reorg-ed into a team I really didn’t care about with a totally pushover boss. I came to the office at lunch and took naps in the wellness room until 3pm at which point I would sneak home. It’s not my proudest moment but I think if you can be completely unaccountable at work, you should minimize the stress in your life accordingly :shrug:

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I have to turn in notes on my time sheet each day to record what I worked on, or else I would be napping right now. Urgh!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

remigious posted:

I have to turn in notes on my time sheet each day to record what I worked on, or else I would be napping right now. Urgh!

Take the nap, add it to the notes!

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I take a nap most days when I have the time block free, so usually 3-4 days a week. I'm getting paid for eight, but I'm expected to be available from 0800-1700. That's nine. I don't do nine for the price of eight anymore.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
I once started a job at a place that took 2 months to get me a laptop. My job is entirely computer based, so I just sat and played on my phone all day. I had my own office for the first and only time ever which was cool. I ended up quitting after being there ~9 months because my boss was a dick and the commute sucked once traffic started getting back to normal.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Two jobs ago our slow period extended extra long past the winter for some reason, so after the one major project I had wrapped up, I had nothing to do other than wait for support emails/calls come through and see if I could improve anything in the software. Though that all got marked under "billable support hours" and I didn't have any standups to explain what I was doing, so I'd read here and other sites and run through my Wanikani flashcards.

Then I got laid off so that solved the problem of not having any work to do by giving me no work at all for four months until I got my next job!

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Sundae posted:

I hear things like these stories (got hired, had nothing to do for weeks/months) and don't know whether to feel envious or sympathetic. The day goes by a lot faster when you have something to do, but on the other hand I'd love to get hired somewhere and not have to hit the ground running and be making a difference by day three or so.

Narrator: Nothing he did made a difference. Anywhere.

But seriously, my current job is probably the slowest onboard I had in my career, and even that I was leading multiple project meetings by the start of week 2. I didn't know who anyone in the meeting was, but I was leading the poo poo out of that stuff. :v:

Honestly, it really sucked. It's not a comfortable experience, for me at least. It doesn't advance your career at all. If I had been laid off I would have been in worse place than I was before I had started, given that I had nothing to add to my portfolio and no new knowledge or skills (I'm a UX designer).

My current job has a three month ramp where you're learning about the platform. That was uncomfortable also, but at least there was a learning website where I could show I was making progress.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

An early corp job had no real guidance on what they wanted me to do, so for the first ~6 months I just did whatever.

It was great, and I took a lot of initiative and just started projects. I read up on what a project proposal should look like (because :lol: no templates for any such thing), write a proposal, show my boss, he'd be like "sounds good", I'd go work on it for however long, and mention in standup what I was doing. Sometimes I'd get bored with my project and just stop doing it for days. I did a lot of socializing too.

Enjoy it, try to grow during that time, plan on moving on in the future.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Awkward Davies posted:

Honestly, it really sucked. It's not a comfortable experience, for me at least. It doesn't advance your career at all. If I had been laid off I would have been in worse place than I was before I had started, given that I had nothing to add to my portfolio and no new knowledge or skills (I'm a UX designer).

My current job has a three month ramp where you're learning about the platform. That was uncomfortable also, but at least there was a learning website where I could show I was making progress.

I had the same experience. It was great for like 3 months but then it quickly becomes grossly unfulfilling, and the lack of career progression hurts.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Eric the Mauve posted:

OP's job is to exist and be a part of the personal empire of whoever hired them. That's it. Any serious attempt at actually doing anything will only result in frustration and stress.

OP is literally being paid to do nothing. It's a great opportunity, if you look at it the right way, and take advantage of it.

The only reason I suggested this is because they mentioned meeting with the CEO, which implies less empire building and more throwing spaghetti at the wall.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

remigious posted:

Lol, my thoughts exactly, been working on this. Also made some templates so we can at least use the same fonts/colors for each proposal.

Jesus Christ that last sentence made me twitch

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I got Chatgpt to write me a board of directors application and I think it’s going to write all my cover letters in future. It’s like… really good. Took some work to get there but the process was a lot better than me staring at my screen.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Yeah, for a certain person who can recognize and edit good copy but cannot write corporate drivel chatgpt is an amazing tool.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Lockback posted:

Yeah, for a certain person who can recognize and edit good copy but cannot write corporate drivel chatgpt is an amazing tool.

Even if you can write corporate drivel, and I think I can, it’s just so much easier to edit.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

Lockback posted:

I can do both, but chatgpt just makes the whole process so much faster, therefore freeing up my time to make cups of tea and whatnot

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I want to shadow the AI team in my company to see if it’s the honey hole of good visibility and easy work I think it is.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Democratic Pirate posted:

I want to shadow the AI team in my company to see if it’s the honey hole of good visibility and easy work I think it is.

I imagine being on an AI team is a lot like being on a machine learning team, which from what I gathered from outside looking in, involves two main components: 1. Training the statistical models and 2. Spewing bullshit about how viable [ML/AI] is to the company leadership confidently enough to keep the gravy train rolling as long as possible.

I'm only somewhat joking. At the very least if you're using the output of an AI/ML model for something you care about, you better be checking its work thoroughly.

Oops

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The Daily Mail Says This Is 'What Remote Workers Will Look Like In 2100,' Gets Roasted Instead

Lmao good god this is just hilarious and kinda sad. Saw it come up from the ny post too but thought this article on the reaction was better to post.

priznat fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 16, 2023

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

priznat posted:

The Daily Mail Says This Is 'What Remote Workers Will Look Like In 2100,' Gets Roasted Instead

Lmao good god this is just hilarious and kinda sad. Saw it come up from the ny post too but thought this article on the reaction was better to post.

gold

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

priznat posted:

What the fresh hell is this?
Know your meme hosted by MSN with barely a paragraph before trying to get you to download a lovely app?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

There’s an “expand article” button below it, no app required. Bad UX I agree tho (on purpose)

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

rafikki posted:

What the fresh hell is this?
Know your meme hosted by MSN with barely a paragraph before trying to get you to download a lovely app?

Don’t zoom in on “Anna”.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

pseudanonymous posted:

Don’t zoom in on “Anna”.

there are more pictures of "Anna" in the KYM post and yes, its likely worse than you could have been imagining

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Updated the link to know your meme, I had never heard of that site before!

The first I saw of this was on my apple news ny post article which was just a reprint of the daily mail (or vice versa) and when I went to get a url I could post that msn one popped up and I just grabbed that, mea culpa.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

priznat posted:

Updated the link to know your meme, I had never heard of that site before!

The first I saw of this was on my apple news ny post article which was just a reprint of the daily mail (or vice versa) and when I went to get a url I could post that msn one popped up and I just grabbed that, mea culpa.

I'm a frequent user of Know Your Meme (for the articles only) and find them to be well-written.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The RTO push is happening at my co, we don’t have a full location here yet just some wework space, so we’re all filling in a temporary request to WFH.

One of the questions you had to answer “yes” to was “Employee has not been rated as “Needs Improvement” rating in the past two annual review cycles” and I just found that wording funny

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Can’t wait for the first “Needs Supervision” rating to come out

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
lol @ "just some wework space"

parasite rear end employers

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I like going to the wework cuz we have it filled with extremely noisy servers and there is kinda acceptable coffee. And lots of lunch options around!

I’m literally the only person who ever comes in though lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

knox_harrington posted:

Database lock just happened on time today for primary analysis of my biggest study. It's a major milestone and huge achievement by my team. Topline results will be released in a few weeks, but overall just a massive weight off my shoulders.

...and Dr Morschhauser presenting the first release of the actual stats which are pretty amazing