Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

That would be hell of a gamble. Amen also seems to have a redundant skill set with Sharpe. I know Portland loves to swing for the fences on athleticism, but Miller's low floor at the wing has to be very appealing.

I think you mean high floor but Portland does love terrible wing players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

The Puppy Bowl posted:

That would be hell of a gamble. Amen also seems to have a redundant skill set with Sharpe. I know Portland loves to swing for the fences on athleticism, but Miller's low floor at the wing has to be very appealing.

Amen is a primary ball handler while Sharpe is more of a cutter / secondary ball handler. I think Sharpe would be a much better version of Ausar for Amen.

I’m more concerned around with the fit with Dame as Amen can’t shoot and Dame thrives with floor spacing.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Stop being concerned with the fit with Dame lol you are drafting a player for the next 8 years dame has 1 more year tops in Portland left

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Metapod posted:

Stop being concerned with the fit with Dame lol you are drafting a player for the next 8 years dame has 1 more year tops in Portland left

Okay Stephen A, chill out.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
This is assuming Charlotte takes Scoot because I don't know why you'd take Amen over Scoot. I do think you need to think about fit in terms of how you're going to develop Amen. His game is going to need the ball in his hands, if you can't develop him like that I think your risking him busting.

I don't think you take Amen if your trying to do something this season, honestly. The other guys sure, but Amen is too raw.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
If Portland can't get a star I think Miller and trading Simons + picks for some vets would be the best case scenario.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1669068197759270912

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Unsurprising but also reminder that Amico is the dumbass Sam Amic_

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
AmicNOOOOO is the easiest way for me to remember. So thankful someone here shared that.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I know Amico is bad I just love that quote

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Stolen from Reddit stolen from Sam Veccine

quote:

Not many sources around the league currently believe this pick will stay put in Dallas. The Mavs seem to be exploring several different options, from trading down in the draft to trading out and acquiring a player who can help now. The goal for Dallas seems to be to add further depth...But agency sources around the league have also noted that Dallas is asking for workouts with players seen as more likely to go in the 20s and 30s even though they don’t have any picks after this one as of now.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Would love Charlotte to trade 27 / Rozier / Bouknight / whatever to move up but I doubt they could get all the way to the 10th pick if they wanted to

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

morestuff posted:

Would love Charlotte to trade 27 / Rozier / Bouknight / whatever to move up but I doubt they could get all the way to the 10th pick if they wanted to

The Mavs have a tendency to take on very strange risks. I could see them taking on Bridges too lol

They have to get rid of THJ (his dad is using the media to poo poo on Luka) so they might package him with the pick

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I gotta be honest. I was really excited for Cam. And the tiny hand news has really taken the wind out of my sails. I dont even want to make a big board. I think I'm going to go sleep on the grass for a while and think of different sports

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Tbh I’d prefer the Mavs use their pick to draft someone who can contribute in a small role and maybe grow into something more a la Josh Green than pursue any of the trades that have been rumored. Like if you can get Myles Turner, sure, do that, but Luka has a few years on his contract, there’s time to develop a prospect rather than get locked into yet another lovely long term contract.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Dejan Bimble posted:

I gotta be honest. I was really excited for Cam. And the tiny hand news has really taken the wind out of my sails. I dont even want to make a big board. I think I'm going to go sleep on the grass for a while and think of different sports

I don't know if this helps or not but I am not deterred by his hands. I looked it up and aapprently the smallest hands ever in the combine are TJ McConnell who has good handles despite the hand size, and the Morris brothers have the smallest height to hand ratio, and both are, or were until Jokic scrambled one of their brains, effective catch and shoot players, so it is possible to succeed with small hands.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Rick posted:

I don't know if this helps or not but I am not deterred by his hands. I looked it up and aapprently the smallest hands ever in the combine are TJ McConnell who has good handles despite the hand size, and the Morris brothers have the smallest height to hand ratio, and both are, or were until Jokic scrambled one of their brains, effective catch and shoot players, so it is possible to succeed with small hands.

I do think it's possible to be a solid nba player with small hands. But superstars have big boy hands. Even all stars. And I dont want to pick Cam Whitmore if he doesn't have all-star upside, the Pistons are not talented enough for that.

I would trade 5 for 6 and 11 in a heartbeat because then at least you can get a crack at a couple starters to fill out the roster.

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

The rumor i love best is Charlotte trading for Zion. The Hornets have been the most uninteresting teams forever. Trading number 2 for Zion and pairing him with Ball is just a no-brainer move.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

chilihead posted:

The rumor i love best is Charlotte trading for Zion. The Hornets have been the most uninteresting teams forever. Trading number 2 for Zion and pairing him with Ball is just a no-brainer move.

That would be a lot of fun for the five games a year that both of them are healthy

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

IcePhoenix posted:

That would be a lot of fun for the five games a year that both of them are healthy

5 games more fun than they had this year.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

who gave him the promise
https://twitter.com/tonyreast/status/1669431560293044239

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

morestuff posted:

https://twitter.com/richierandall/status/1669367433495232514?s=20

I feel like this is good for Scoot landing in Charlotte but also never underestimate Jordan being terrible at management

So is Jordan not actually selling his majority stake or is he inexplicably making key draft decisions on his way out

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

xbilkis posted:

So is Jordan not actually selling his majority stake or is he inexplicably making key draft decisions on his way out

Nobody knows. He was theoretically going to sell to a current minority owner so odds are they already have some input

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Double post but:

https://twitter.com/british_buzz/status/1669485170720636928?s=46&t=3d9JmXOJWgE8nozHLwUyjQ

Scoot killing his workout while growing 2 inches overnight and Charlotte is still gonna take Miller

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

That's huge, the guy already had a 6'9" wingspan. If his arms grew too that could open a ton of possibilities for him.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
vic
----
scoot
------
amen
ausar
--------
miller
black
hendricks
--------
walker
whitmore
-------
dick

this is what i'm thinking for the guys we're sure are going lottery

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

From a purely basketball view I'd take Miller over Ausar for sure and probably over Amen depending on my situation. Amen has lots of bust potential. Dudes an athlete but his jumper/free throw is really junky.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1669483032485429252?s=20

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Lockback posted:

From a purely basketball view I'd take Miller over Ausar for sure and probably over Amen depending on my situation. Amen has lots of bust potential. Dudes an athlete but his jumper/free throw is really junky.

I am more scared of Miller not being able to separate than the twins learning to shoot. Ausars mechanics are fine just needs more consistency and tuning

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

I like Buffkin a lot, he might be my favorite offensive player in the draft past Scoot. Maybe. He could be Lonnie Walker 2.0 in every way possible but I think he's more developed than Lonnie was at that age.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Dejan Bimble posted:

I don't think so, I think they're more likely to package 26,29,32 for something like 22, if they could. Turner is a rim protector who can stretch the floor. the original meaning of "unicorn" and it's still very hard to find. Name 3 other players who do it at a high level
harder than I thought but uhh
JJJ
Brook
Zinger
Honorable mentions Embiid and Horford

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Rick posted:

I like Buffkin a lot, he might be my favorite offensive player in the draft past Scoot. Maybe. He could be Lonnie Walker 2.0 in every way possible but I think he's more developed than Lonnie was at that age.

Bufkin was an on/off plus minus god this year. He is polished and he can score so well at the rim, and his 3 pointer is getting better. I think he can be an NBA point guard. We saw what he looked in a smart modern offense. He plays defense. I can easily see him being a really good starting pg who takes nothing off the table.
The ringer guide comped him to tyrese maxey and immanuel quickley together, which I thought was really silly because tyrese maxey without super elite speed with the ball in his hands is just?

He was as left hand dominant as jett howard is right hand dominant, but being lefty only is a bit easier to get away with when you start in the nba.

Kobe is really fun to watch when he starts cooking. He might not be a 10/10 athlete but he can pop, so when he gets a head of steam he slashes around defenders and rises up for these beautiful lay ups.

Everything about him says long term NBA player to me .Maybe we have a blind spot because he's sort of a jack of all trades and a bit small if he doesn't up a PG, but I think that's the only reason he'd end up a low minutes backup and not a starter or a key bench piece, lack of handling development and his catch and shoot jumper going from 37% to like 32% with NBA contests.

He's small though. And he's not actually the sum of his parts. Still I think whoever drafts him will be really happy with his eventual production as a 10+ pick

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jun 16, 2023

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Jalen Hood-Schifino is a tier down as an athlete from Kobe Bufkin, but he's 6'6.

He shot 37% on pull up threes. Dont look up his finishing numbers though cause they're kinda brutal. I think his game is a real two roads diverging in a yellow wood type of thing. Either he keeps developing as a pg and his pull up 3 unlocks the rest of his game, or he learns to play off ball and is more of a helpful role player, say because he's not the athlete to be a lead guard but has the bball iq and shooting ability to stay on offense, and the size and iq to cover 1-3 on defense.

This draft has a lot of 6'6 pgs who can't shoot . Jalen can (off the dribble and in the midrange, not so much off the catch). and he plays defense.

while he's not a good finisher , he has a knack for making tough shots which is useful as a squeeze skill. squeeze away his big on the short roll so he cant make his favorite lil passes for dunks and he'll hit a corkscrew layup from behind the backboard. it's cool

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Good growth by the twins from game one of the season to game one of the finals. Especially Amen. He looks like a completely different player by the end of just a three month season, so much more control of the court.

I still think they are some fairly high risk projects for guys projected in the top 10 but at least I can see what people are seeing more.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Dejan Bimble posted:

Bufkin was an on/off plus minus god this year. He is polished and he can score so well at the rim, and his 3 pointer is getting better. I think he can be an NBA point guard. We saw what he looked in a smart modern offense. He plays defense. I can easily see him being a really good starting pg who takes nothing off the table.
The ringer guide comped him to tyrese maxey and immanuel quickley together, which I thought was really silly because tyrese maxey without super elite speed with the ball in his hands is just?

He was as left hand dominant as jett howard is right hand dominant, but being lefty only is a bit easier to get away with when you start in the nba.

Kobe is really fun to watch when he starts cooking. He might not be a 10/10 athlete but he can pop, so when he gets a head of steam he slashes around defenders and rises up for these beautiful lay ups.

Everything about him says long term NBA player to me .Maybe we have a blind spot because he's sort of a jack of all trades and a bit small if he doesn't up a PG, but I think that's the only reason he'd end up a low minutes backup and not a starter or a key bench piece, lack of handling development and his catch and shoot jumper going from 37% to like 32% with NBA contests.

He's small though. And he's not actually the sum of his parts. Still I think whoever drafts him will be really happy with his eventual production as a 10+ pick

Truth. The size is a thing for sure especially if some of the podcasters who are saying small ball is done is right (I tend to think, these people are reactionaries, or at least maybe they're finally seeing the reality of small ball and not what they thought was happening, which is teams continue to do a variety of things). And I could not help but see many guys who I liked and signed off on this draft who I had to suppress the "yeah but what happens when people switch on them" because it kind of is a fun ruining question.

Dejan Bimble posted:

Jalen Hood-Schifino is a tier down as an athlete from Kobe Bufkin, but he's 6'6.

He shot 37% on pull up threes. Dont look up his finishing numbers though cause they're kinda brutal. I think his game is a real two roads diverging in a yellow wood type of thing. Either he keeps developing as a pg and his pull up 3 unlocks the rest of his game, or he learns to play off ball and is more of a helpful role player, say because he's not the athlete to be a lead guard but has the bball iq and shooting ability to stay on offense, and the size and iq to cover 1-3 on defense.

This draft has a lot of 6'6 pgs who can't shoot . Jalen can (off the dribble and in the midrange, not so much off the catch). and he plays defense.

while he's not a good finisher , he has a knack for making tough shots which is useful as a squeeze skill. squeeze away his big on the short roll so he cant make his favorite lil passes for dunks and he'll hit a corkscrew layup from behind the backboard. it's cool

He is kind of like tall D'Angelo Russell to me as far as the ways he scores. D'Angelo ended up making a lot of that stuff work but he had to come a long way and it's still not a consistent product. But I think he's slower than Russell was in college which is kind of scary to say about someone. However because of the size he'll be less vulnerable on defense and if he can shoot he could have a good career, II think you're right though that he could end up in either direction in the woods, I have no idea.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
I don't make predictions often so take note: scoot is gonna bust hard and cam whitmore is going to be the best one handed no pass player since tari eason.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

It’s nice to get semi-confirmation that the “Brandon Miller is the consensus no. 2 inside league circles” isn’t totally Woj disinfo!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Seeing a lot of smoke connecting Dick to Orlando

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

strong givony shade here
https://twitter.com/nbadraftwass/status/1669709566005657602

quote:

While the belief has been that the Charlotte Hornets prefer Brandon Miller, it's sounding more like just a rumor that's snowballed. No NBA sources have any legitimate explanation or substance behind the assumption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

he's so precious and wholesome
https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1669715506276839424