Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

KingSlime posted:

Not that far fetched considering how Nintendo makes every NPC thirsty af for Link. The young gerudo girl blushing at link and following him around induced a p major eyeroll from my end

OoT was pretty harem-y for its time too

Instead of a dating simulator, it's a prince of persia esque platformer of link escaping various people trying to add him to their harem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out

KingSlime posted:

There have been too many amazing games, rogue legacy 2 was insanely good. I gotta go back and do the NG+ stuff some day

It's mind boggling how much more polished and complete it feels compared to the first one. It has a ton more personality too compared to the first's sorta standard fantasy fare

Theres so many QoL improvements in Rogue Legacy 2 that I cant believe I didn't pick it up sooner.

Making it so that the mo ey you have to forfeit to Charon actually goes towards him granting you stat boosts is a masterstroke. Now when I'm 50 gold off buying anything I dont feel completely bitter about having to drop 2k or whatever.

And it makes sense, because Charon giving you a little leg up means each person might be leaving him more money by the time they die...

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Video Game Jerk posted:

I bought an OLED Switch and was thinking of swapping out the stock joycons for grey ones for aesthetics. I realized I don't know if the new joycons are mechanically better, and only found conflicting information online. Any advice as to whether swapping the joycons out is an okay idea or not?
If you have basic tech repair chops, get some Gulikit hall effect sticks and toss em in there before the stock sticks inevitably begin drifting. No soldering required but the internals are tiny and an bit tricky to work with.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

CainFortea posted:

The joycons are the same internally anyway, so yea. You could even just get the shells and swap them over instead of the entire controller.

There's a firmware flag or something in the joycon that indicates its color (how you can see the joycon color in the system menus and some games), so if you do a shell swap, ideally you'd look into changing that info as well

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Slowpoke! posted:

Next Zelda will take place on an island and you get to decorate it and villagers come to live with you there

Wolf Link was the best villager. He just kept bragging about himself and how great he is.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Butterfly Valley posted:

Wait you did your ridiculous amount of depths exploration at the start of the game without the paraglider? Lol

No, I wasn't that crazy. I did some overworld exploration with out it, but gave up when I couldn't activate a tower or finish a shrine I found.

KingSlime posted:

In the meantime I guess there's plenty of indie games that are aping classic Zelda but I get the sense that none of them are anywhere near as good as the real deal

Why is that? Zelda isn't a hard formula to crack but few if any ever meet the standard.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Is twilight princess as worthwhile as breath of the wild?

My Zelda background:
Zelda 1: started in 87/88, didn’t own it until 97, beat it first in 07? Love it.
Zelda 2: struggled with it. I feel like I should try again.
LttP: didn’t beat it until 09. Loved it.
Windwaker: tried it a little when it came out and couldn’t get anywhere in it.
Skyward sword: got it for switch, played a few hours and found it tedious.
Links Awakening: charming and I love it, but paused in the middle of it and couldn’t figure out what I was doing in it.
BotW: started it a few weeks ago. Game of the decade 2012-2022

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

If you couldn’t really get into WW or SS, I have a hard time imagining you’ll find TP much better

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

otter posted:

My Zelda background:
Zelda 1: started in 87/88, didn’t own it until 97, beat it first in 07? Love it.
Links Awakening: charming and I love it, but paused in the middle of it and couldn’t figure out what I was doing in it.

given your track record i wouldn't recommend it. it has its strengths but it was mostly a redux of the ocarina of time formula with mixed results

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Maybe try OoT first

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Beat Ocarina to get context for the much better game after it, Majora.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

The Maroon Hawk posted:

This is the only way I can see them wringing a third game out of this map. Flood the world, the Rito move to the top of Hebra Peak, the Gerudo to the Gerudo highlands, the Gorons colonise the inside of Death Mountain somehow, the Zora remain underwater so the game can have atrocious underwater mechanics once more. Maybe some of the sky islands fall into the water to make new islands

Could even be a replacement/alternate timeline version of WW, seeing as how the Dragon Tear memories are basically the events of OOT on the Downfall timeline

I’m far enough into the game to see all the story stuff, (all tears) and the implication that this is one timeline but possibly all timelines and so far in the future everything just sort of blurs together is both funny and I like it. The implication is that this is like 20-100,000 years after skyward sword in pretty sure.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

LionArcher posted:

I’m far enough into the game to see all the story stuff, (all tears) and the implication that this is one timeline but possibly all timelines and so far in the future everything just sort of blurs together is both funny and I like it. The implication is that this is like 20-100,000 years after skyward sword in pretty sure.

I mean that was kind of the consensus behind BOTW iirc, that it was meant to “converge” the different timelines by just being like “lol all of the other games were many millennia ago and the stories have all faded into legend”. I think they pulled it off rather well honestly

My personal timeline theorycrafting after seeing everything but the endgame is that TOTK establishes a second Downfall timeline that skips directly from OoT and the Imprisoning War to BotW, acting like LttP, TLOZ, TLOZ2 etc never happened

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I mean that was kind of the consensus behind BOTW iirc, that it was meant to “converge” the different timelines by just being like “lol all of the other games were many millennia ago and the stories have all faded into legend”. I think they pulled it off rather well honestly

My personal timeline theorycrafting after seeing everything but the endgame is that TOTK establishes a second Downfall timeline that skips directly from OoT and the Imprisoning War to BotW, acting like LttP, TLOZ, TLOZ2 etc never happened

Did the zoni first appear in BOTW? Or are they referenced in the past games? I can’t remember

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

LionArcher posted:

Did the zoni first appear in BOTW? Or are they referenced in the past games? I can’t remember

As far as I can recall BOTW is their first appearance, and even then it’s just a vague allusion to an ancient civilization

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

I would like Nintendo to make a fully featured Zelda Maker. Alternately, a Mario Maker that allows for Mario 64-styled levels. Thank you for listening, and I’ll see you in hell.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

As far as I can recall BOTW is their first appearance, and even then it’s just a vague allusion to an ancient civilization

they were a surprising number of breadcrumbs about the Zonai throughout BotW, which I only know because it seems every youtube lore guy found them all and completely nailed their involvement in TotK years beforehand

personally I'd say the Zonai are meant to have (indirect) connections with the Twili and Oocca

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I’ll probably start with ocarina and see how that goes. I don’t know why I haven’t ever given them a shot. I played quest 64 and got really far before it dumped my game save. I do t know if it was just a freak occurrence or if I had a bad cartridge or what. My friend borrowed it and never gave it back along with a bunch of my n64 and ps1 stuff in like… 2003? Now he just shrugs every time I ask about it which pisses me off.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Finished Tears of the Kingdom tonight, and I am pretty sure barely anyone here knows this, but this game is extremely good. Like possibly game of the year???

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I remembered enjoying TP, and is the reason I even got BotW, since i'd played old school zelda only and missed everything after zelda 2.

But I also don't remember anything at all about it beyond have a very "beautiful melancholy" vibe to it so it didn't make a huge impact.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

BOTW and TOTK are just their own timeline and is Nintendo rightly deciding that Zelda continuity is stupid and bad and throwing it all out.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I really don't know how that became popular sentiment. I guess there was an annoying period around the mid 2000s in which Zelda fans fought about whether a "timeline" existed, but those battles are long over

They've been thinking about Zelda continuity since literally the 3rd game, and they care very much about it. It's never been random or slapdash, and at least half the games are about the origins or consequences of some major facet of the series. It's not even that complicated and it's absolutely not stupid!

BOTW/TOTK isn't abandoning the timeline, it's combining all the pieces into one really good soup

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

BOTW and TOTK are just their own timeline and is Nintendo rightly deciding that Zelda continuity is stupid and bad and throwing it all out.

Yeah botw era zelda is like most modern Nintendo games where they're mostly about refining the most broadly appealing mechanics while stripping away any potentially alienating aspects

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

WarpDogs posted:

I really don't know how that became popular sentiment.

Because people very badly want the "it's called LEGEND of Zelda" refrain to mean something.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Its all different cultures from around the world with a vague recalling of a fable. Much like Saint Nicholas.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
this is a reminder to play Sin and Punishment if you have the expansion pass. how the hell did they do it

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The Rito were the evolution of the Zora race in WW, yet BotW has both because both are cool.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

WarpDogs posted:

I really don't know how that became popular sentiment.

Popular as in, many people think it or popular as in many people want it?

Because it's a thing lots of people believe because of how disconnected many of the games are. I mean, you have A Link To The Past, which is supposed to explicitly tell the story of the Imprisoning War, which has at best a passing resemblence with the events of the Imprisoning War as depicted in TotK.

Even their official chronology has different timelines in it. And that official book was published in 2011. Also the 3rd game was released in 1991, and any claims they had about having an internal document about the timelines started in about 2003. And even in those claims, they literally say they don't really care too much about continuity.

Shigeru Miyamoto posted:

For every Zelda game we tell a new story, but we actually have an enormous document that explains how the game relates to the others, and bind them together. But to be honest, they are not that important to us. We care more about developing the game system… give the player new challenges for every chapter that is born.

So it sounds a lot more like the whole timeline thing is just a way to...link...the games all together for messaging purposes and not something they actually care about or use as some kind of driving force to their game design. Seems a lot more like they make a cool game, and then basically try to cram it into a lore spot somewhere.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I mean regardless of what you think of the rest of the timeline, TOTK has you see things happen in the distant past that are completely different and do not fit into any understanding of the previously established timeline stuff. It's doing its own thing divorced from the rest of the series and personally I like that.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Screw that endorsed fan-rag for saying Majora was all a dream. There's a reason we don't let inmates run the asylum.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Smash Mouth eat the sacred stones

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Screw that endorsed fan-rag for saying Majora was all a dream. There's a reason we don't let inmates run the asylum.

Link's Awakening was a dream and nobody complains about that.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
How can you be bothered by a game being a dream in the game story, like it doesn't matter at all, it's all fiction. This is a dumb as those Superman Facts Articles or IG posts, SUPERMAN ONE TIME DID THIS THING THAT WA
no he didn't, superman is not real, there's no such things as superman facts. the only superman fact is "superman is a character invented by that has appeared in "

There is no cannon for anything, none of it happened, none of it mattered, make a Fan Bike flying around and bomb some monstars, get some heart containers, and push some buttons and shut up.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Mega64 posted:

Links Awakening was a dream told to us in-game midway through. This endorsed book then says Termina is a dream, despite pulling this twist already and because nothing in the game supported this idea. It was a retcon put forth by somebody who had nothing to do with Majoras Mask production. This is akin to JK Rowling pulling a Schroedingers Gay.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

WarpDogs posted:

I really don't know how that became popular sentiment. I guess there was an annoying period around the mid 2000s in which Zelda fans fought about whether a "timeline" existed, but those battles are long over

They've been thinking about Zelda continuity since literally the 3rd game, and they care very much about it. It's never been random or slapdash, and at least half the games are about the origins or consequences of some major facet of the series. It's not even that complicated and it's absolutely not stupid!

BOTW/TOTK isn't abandoning the timeline, it's combining all the pieces into one really good soup

Honestly I think most of it is people really liking the idea of Nintendo pwning annoying fans, like a less political version of liking something because it "owns the chuds"

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Is there any reason to get the bigger, more expensive Genki Covert Dock now that the Mini exists? Anything else I should look at if I want a second, cheap switch dock?

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143

otter posted:

My Zelda background:

Absolutely try OoT first; TP is basically an expanded/reimagined OoT, perhaps too expanded.

Fire Emblem GBA is coming to NSO next week. Very excited. I've been putting off a replay since the announcement of the GBA Expansion Pass.

Thunder Bear fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 16, 2023

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mega64 posted:

It's like my least favourite thing about the game lol

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

mycot posted:

Honestly I think most of it is people really liking the idea of Nintendo pwning annoying fans, like a less political version of liking something because it "owns the chuds"

you may need a break from online Zelda communities if you genuinely think this

As for the timeline stuff yeah that's mostly a fandom/marketing thing I don't think anybody is really invested in it at all including Nintendo. Different people and leadership have been involved with different games, barring a few big names whose involvement has likely dwindled over the years

Taking the games at face value without any timeline stuff, they contradict themselves from sequel to sequel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

I love when Nintendo pwns annoying fans.