Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Xiahou Dun posted:

Yeah but who knows when.

Order dork didn't get the message lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Xiahou Dun posted:

Yeah but who knows when.

Party runs from now to question mark

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

PurpleXVI posted:

It was a multiplier. I think it was calculated that seventeen people or so with that skill could take a walk with you and normal walking speed would be multiplied into escape velocity. If it was also teachable to animals... "go forth, my pigeon minions, and launch him to the moon when he's taking an afternoon walk in the sun."

Initially read this as "on the sun"

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

KingKalamari posted:

Party runs from now to question mark

You’d never want to talk to anyone at an order party, but it doesn’t matter because they’re very well catered.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

gonna go with Chaos but only if its cool Shin Megami Tensei Chaos and not Xaositect Chaos

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I know video play groups are awful...but this is special...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khZVjQL74qE

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I know video play groups are awful...but this is special...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khZVjQL74qE

All four of those drag queens are hilarious. Bob the Drag Queen one is the funniest comedians I've ever encountered, and Jujubee is one of the more self-aware performers I've ever watched.

I suspect my schedule will soon revolve around this show. Even if it's terrible.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
You don’t need the qualifier about video actual plays. All of Dimension20’s stuff is solid.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I've seen a lot of people cringe at the idea.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

A lot of people cringe at the idea of TTRPGs in general, yet this subforum stands in defiance of them

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Xiahou Dun posted:

You’d never want to talk to anyone at an order party, but it doesn’t matter because they’re very well catered.
an order party is just board games night

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm a big fan of order carcassonne

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Traveller posted:

1E L5R had Unicorn bushi at rank 1 able to add their Horsemanship skill to any rolls made while riding a horse. That led to the original "tea ceremonies on horseback!" memes, but something like taking a leisurely ride so you can gain inspiration for your next poem is just Cool. 5E's core ability for Outriders is more subdued, which is made up by the absolutely bonkers capstone ability at rank 6 where you can just summon your horse from literally anywhere, in any circumstance. Middle of the battlefield? Horse is there. Tea ceremony you don't want to be in? Horse comes pick you up. Prisoner in a tall mountain fortress? Horse waltzes into the dungeons. Horse was killed, chopped up, and sent to the glue factory in front of your very eyes? Horse's spirit possesses the nearest horse, becomes it, and shows up.

PurpleXVI posted:

Yeah, no, that owns. That absolutely owns. Good. More of that.

The other thing with a *rank 6* character is that they are at the point where they are basically Shonen heroes that can regularly do superhuman nonsense. Having a horse that is such a Good Boy that death cannot break their bond is just standard issue for the "Master Horseman" character type.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

(world ninja war jiraiya (1988), episode 25)

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Mister Olympus posted:

(world ninja war jiraiya (1988), episode 25)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q86b-BFpAfk

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

The "Dungeons and Drag Queens" season is a little cringey but it's not like this is the show's first attempt at inclusivity and trans representation*, it's been going on for a while, so if they want to have a crack at a season with this gimmick then like, yeah sure, have fun.

*the relationship between the trans community and the act of drag is Complicated To Say The Least but in this situation it is abundantly clear they're not making the mainstream or shithead POV mistake/statement of "drag is a trans thing, right." as their first point of pride and representation.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

If you were still interested in Out Of The Ashes, I've started a review over in the F&F thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3898332&pagenumber=595#post532547162

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

If you were still interested in Out Of The Ashes, I've started a review over in the F&F thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3898332&pagenumber=595#post532547162

Hell yeah! Thanks.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

One of the main cast of Dimension20 is trans so representation has been part of the show/channel since the beginning.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
My group: two veterans (one goon), and two players with d20 brain. (One who had only played 5E and 3.X, and one who had only played 13th Age and three sessions of Unbound.)

Last night was our first session of Brindlewood Bay. They took to it like ducks to water. Absolute legends. (Five suburban dads are the target demo for Brindlewood, yeah?)

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
random q - what's the best TCG these days not owned by wizards of the coast?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Sunk Dunk posted:

I'm really into the Digimon TCG. It has a few really cool or thematic gameplay mechanics, the art is fantastic, and I haven't seen any toxicity in the community either.

It's also cheap as hell to get into. There are a few expensive cards, but you usually don't need them and they're very few and far between. The most expensive cards in your average meta deck are usually like $10, if that.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sunk Dunk posted:

this is a really fun thread going over a lot of less popular tcgs, past and present: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4006234

there's also individual threads on here for pokemon (been separate from wotc for years), yu-gi-oh, and one piece tcg

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I've seen a lot of people cringe at the idea.

(person who pretends to be an elf as a hobby voice) they do video? yikes lol kinda lame. i know what the acronym OSR means

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

Sunk Dunk posted:

it's not quite out yet, but I've been playing proxies of the new Disney Lorcana TCG by Ravesnburger games. The mechanics are pretty solid, and I'm looking forward to the reason in a few months, and there's a lot of hype for the game.

netrunner was a Wizards game, but is now under fan control under Null Signal looks pretty neat. I've played a little, but I haven't really sat down and tried to really grok the mechanics of the game, though I keep meaning to.

You said best and not popular and actually played by a lot of people so I'm going to also add Jerma985's Grotto beasts.

The game design itself isn't by Jerma, but a game designer, but a lot of the characters the cards are based on are Jerma's stuff. It's surprisingly really solid and fun, and there's communities you can find to play it for free on TTS, so you don't have to spend money if you don't want to (I can understand not wanting to buy a game you won't likely play in person. I bought it mostly because Jerma's cool and funny and I wanted to support him). .

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
If you're not into the financial aspects of the game, I don't think Lorcana had much to offer over the forthcoming Star Wars Unlimited.

I love Ashes: Rise of the Phoenix born, but its community is small.

Netrunner is still trucking under a continuing community. So is Star Wars Destiny. (So are Decipher Star Trek and Decipher Star Wars but their weird concept of IP is so laughably bad they're hamstrung.)

Keyforged has relaunched. People seem to be into One Piece and Final Fantasy but I can't speak to those.

Flesh and Blood just reeks of MTG Finance and I give it a wide berth.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

CitizenKeen posted:

If you're not into the financial aspects of the game, I don't think Lorcana had much to offer over the forthcoming Star Wars Unlimited.

What does this mean? Is it focused towards speculators or have NFT poo poo or something?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Yeah I'm gonna second the recommendation for the Digimon Card Game

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Someday I'm gonna pick up a starter deck or two of the digimon card game and learn to play.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Leraika posted:

Someday I'm gonna pick up a starter deck or two of the digimon card game and learn to play.

It's a really good idea, plus the starters tend to come with promos that vary from neat to really useful cards. Plus, there's a tutorial app for the game! That's one of the really cool things about Bandai TCGs.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
Thanks for the responses. There’s a game store near me that runs one piece tournaments so I might try that one

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i like Master Duel/ygo a lot but the way the game actually plays at a competitive level is kind of intimidating

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also its owned by Konami who are not exactly lighting up the Ethical Corporations ladder

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

BattleMaster posted:

What does this mean? Is it focused towards speculators or have NFT poo poo or something?

I haven't heard of any NFT stuff (I hope not, it doesn't seem likely they will). I'm guessing they mean it's going to be expensive, but I don't think it's going to be any more than pokemon, since this game will have a large audience of kids. The company said they under estimated popularity and ware working on printing more cards for the release. the game doesn't seem to be focusing on ultra rare powerful cards. The prices for starter decks/boosters seem reasonable from what I've seen.

The D23 cards are going for a lot, but those are very specific cards from a single event before the game's release, I don't tihnk it's going to be indicative of the entire game.

I'm not sure what Keen meant.

E: I'm actually working on a trading card game/deckbuilder hybrid game tentatively titled "Desert wars". I've done some testplays that went well with my opponent saying they want to play again.

Basically it's a deck builder like Dominion, but you prebuild the shop of cards you buy from (plus a pool of resource cards). You play units to your defensive line or send out to attack enemies, but attacking enemies pay 1 resource or take damage each turn, so you want to properly prepare an economy to support your attack. I have 5 factions/colors and something like 130 cards with different tactics (though right now I'm focusing on a "base set" of around 60 cards).

I'm currently working on adding commander style "cities" which are pre-chosen permanents that give special abilities. I'll probity release the thing as a print-and-play thing once i'm done, but that's a ways off since I want to do more playtesting first.

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 18, 2023

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Foolster41 posted:

I haven't heard of any NFT stuff (I hope not, it doesn't seem likely they will). I'm guessing they mean it's going to be expensive, but I don't think it's going to be any more than pokemon, since this game will have a large audience of kids. The company said they under estimated popularity and ware working on printing more cards for the release. the game doesn't seem to be focusing on ultra rare powerful cards. The prices for starter decks/boosters seem reasonable from what I've seen.

The D23 cards are going for a lot, but those are very specific cards from a single event before the game's release, I don't tihnk it's going to be indicative of the entire game.

I'm not sure what Keen meant.

This isn't going to be an exact description of the issues, since a lot of the complaints date back to 2019-20 when the game started, but the short version is that Flesh and Blood brought the speculative market in on the ground floor. Look at all our ultrarare foil techniques, look at all the weird ways we're keeping speculative value on these game components, look at the promo we did with Rudy of Alpha Investments, want to buy a box as an investment? A lot of games that were coming out at that time felt like attempts to create a speculative market first and games second, and I'm sure there's more to games like Flesh and Blood and Metazoo if they're still alive now than just that but there's still a weird taste in a lot of people's mouths.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Ah, so a fear Lorcana'll follow F&B's example? I hope not. I'm not sure why Unlimited will be any better, both are large Disney owned licenses.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Lorcana is generating a lot of appeal among Disney collectors. These are the people who spend money collecting pins and don't do anything with them other than display them. There are a lot of these people and they spend a lot of money. I suspect this will result in a more volatile market for Lorcana - not necessarily more expensive but just more of a rollercoaster.

Neither Lorcana nor Star Wars Unlimited are doing anything novel mechanically. They're somewhat similar mechanically. Ravensburger has said they don't want Lorcana to get too complicated strategically. They're both Disney properties dealing with licensing from the House of Mouse.

So really, it comes down to whether you think Ravensburger will be able to step up to the CCG market in the face of an additional fandom driving price shenanigans, or you think a hollowed out FFG will manage to not poo poo the bed after a history of troubled competitive scenes.

My money's on FFG, but I'm not super confident in either.

Edit: Disney collectors appreciate specific items being only available at certain places and times. Pure speculation, but I think the odds of some meta-warping card being only available at California Great Adventure are non-zero.

CitizenKeen fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 18, 2023

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

CitizenKeen posted:

Lorcana is generating a lot of appeal among Disney collectors. These are the people who spend money collecting pins and don't do anything with them other than display them. There are a lot of these people and they spend a lot of money. I suspect this will result in a more volatile market for Lorcana - not necessarily more expensive but just more of a rollercoaster.

Neither Lorcana nor Star Wars Unlimited are doing anything novel mechanically. They're somewhat similar mechanically. Ravensburger has said they don't want Lorcana to get too complicated strategically. They're both Disney properties dealing with licensing from the House of Mouse.

So really, it comes down to whether you think Ravensburger will be able to step up to the CCG market in the face of an additional fandom driving price shenanigans, or you think a hollowed out FFG will manage to not poo poo the bed after a history of troubled competitive scenes.

My money's on FFG, but I'm not super confident in either.

Edit: Disney collectors appreciate specific items being only available at certain places and times. Pure speculation, but I think the odds of some meta-warping card being only available at California Great Adventure are non-zero.

1. Lorcana is the safest, most boring CCG design I've seen in the last 20 years. There's a staggering number of vanilla (and french vanilla) creatures, and they've gone hard down the digital-friendly "no action off-turn" route. There's precious little game there, and it'll be optimized into the ground within hours.
2. Lorcana hasn't yet printed mechanically unique promos, to my knowledge (all the D23 promos are just alt-arts of the base set), and Ravensberger really should know better than to do that, as it's a death sentence for any real competitive play (and yes, I know 99% of the sales for this are casuals, but it really takes any sort of word-of-mouth off the table, except clickbait).
3. While Lorcana's best quality is that the cards look good and have good presentation, Star Wars Unlimited looks like a low-budget 90s dogshit CCG that died after one expansion. I cannot fathom anyone taking the Star Wars license and making something that looks that terrible in year 2023, but here we are. I assume this speaks to the rest of the game's budget as well.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

1.)Yeah, the game is fairly bare bones, but also only like 35% of the first set of cards are revealed yet. I'm hoping as the game goes on in future sets they'll add new mechanics, otherwise the game will die off quickly. Right now It does have a few cards with interesting interactions, and very few of the cards are abilitiyless.

2.)That's actually a positive, IMO that encourages players over speculators since nothing is more annoying than having to spend $40+ on a card (or multiples) to build a certain kind of deck, one of the reasons I don't play magic.

E: Also, people I've heard excited for the game aren't talking about collecting rares, but are excited for the mechanics of the game, and have expressed hope the game won't lean too far into collectible nonsense (mechanically unique rares).

The game comes out in 2 months, so we'll have to wait to see when the game actually comes out, I think it's too early to judge that the game will be horrible or not.

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LurchinTard
Aug 25, 2022
Anyone played Chivalry and Sorcery 5e? Looks sick to set up an alt-history medieval game that may fit into my overall metacampaign atlantean schemes...