Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

History Comes Inside! posted:

How does doing the same thing in an office prevent this

You die of stress related heart disease before you get like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

These are becoming such low effort posts now... lol
https://twitter.com/RishiSunak/status/1669689272750800896

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

History Comes Inside! posted:

How does doing the same thing in an office prevent this

Because Furniture at Work, the office furniture company that commissioned the study, will make more money

lol the doomsday econ thread is having fun with this https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4026915&pagenumber=826

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jun 16, 2023

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

It's the venture firm that makes its money pumping cryptocurrency scams, who've realised the British Government are the last organisation on the planet that still thinks cryptocurrency is the cool new cash of the future and are here to scam them.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah I just checked their portfolio and it's like a yellow pages of speculative blockchain bullshit sold to other speculative blockchain bullshit sold to VC disruptors. Glad they have Silicon Valley Bank onboard.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TF discord also noticed this https://twitter.com/RishiSunak/status/1669002908807954432

The binary on the door is the ASCII codes for L T W aka London Tech Week.

Our prime minister is a loving dweeb, and I say that as a computer toucher.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Jesus camrath, that lime and chili fudge is NOT loving around!! Literally made me laugh out loud as I ate it. Just brilliant.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Tesseraction posted:

TF discord also noticed this https://twitter.com/RishiSunak/status/1669002908807954432

The binary on the door is the ASCII codes for L T W aka London Tech Week.

Our prime minister is a loving dweeb, and I say that as a computer toucher.

Lol. That might be against the law.

"[url posted:

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Vict/10-11/34/section/64[/url]" ]
and every person who destroys, pulls down, or defaces any such number or name, or puts up any number or name different from the number or name put up by the commissioners, shall be liable to a penalty not exceeding [F1[F2£25]][F1level 1 on the standard scale] for every such offence.

Lol I hosed that up a bit but you get the idea

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Hey, those photos were supposed to be private. I never said you could share them ITT
:colbert:

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

The Perfect Element posted:

Jesus camrath, that lime and chili fudge is NOT loving around!! Literally made me laugh out loud as I ate it. Just brilliant.

:D

I use Birdseye chillies for the heat. I also sauté them in the butter at the start of the process to extract the capsaicin- this is why the heat doesn’t get you straight off, but rather as it melts on your tongue.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/KatyMontgomerie/status/1669680559524552706
what is it about transphobia specifically that rots peoples' brains like this, where they go from being a run-of-the-mill lib or centrist to literally the only criteria they have for judging whether something is good or bad is 'does it hate trans people'

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Apraxin posted:

https://twitter.com/KatyMontgomerie/status/1669680559524552706
what is it about transphobia specifically that rots peoples' brains like this, where they go from being a run-of-the-mill lib or centrist to literally the only criteria they have for judging whether something is good or bad is 'does it hate trans people'

When you're a hateful oval office with a small support group, you'll stand with anyone who agrees with you.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Apraxin posted:

I don't think it's specifically transphobia, you also saw it with the rational atheists going rabid Islamophobe after 9/11, then 'race realist' after Iraq got unpopular and the only people who wanted to talk to them were racists.

And in the other direction you got anti-war people who went off to join RT and then started shilling for Assad and Putin and are now claiming that Russia is acting in self-defence and the West are making up vile lies about the man with 50 SS tattoos.

All of those people are probably now on the GC/transphobe train too if they haven't violently removed their head from their rear end, but back then it wasn't transphobia that was the rallying point.

(Although for a few of them it was Gillick competence and access to birth control that sent them down the chud pipeline, there's probably something interesting in there.)

I think the big unifying overview is a rejection of consensus reality and the idea that things can be known, or if not known then approximated to be socially useful. At the middle of that howling vortex are people like David Icke and Alex Jones who believe things simply because the majority of people don't. In the (extremely unlikely) event that free energy or whatever was popular they'd pivot to "there's no such thing as free energy it's secretly powered by the blood of cloned babies" or some poo poo.

Most people aren't that far gone, but that attitude towards social knowledge is a common driver, as is an obsession with some kind of normal/natural order which always ends up with that Bob cartoon.

e: ^ that too

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

Most people aren't that far gone, but that attitude towards social knowledge is a common driver, as is an obsession with some kind of normal/natural order which always ends up with that Bob cartoon.

e: ^ that too

They missed the real proper macho binmen of yesterday, cheerfully hauling 40-50kg or more bins on their bent backs.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Hard bins create strong binmen. Strong binmen create good bins. Good bins create weak binmen. And weak binmen create hard bins. :pseudo:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The best part of this is always the caption "OK with risk" because Bob is extremely not OK with the minute risk of an allergic reaction or whatever from a vaccination.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

They missed the real proper macho binmen of yesterday, cheerfully hauling 40-50kg or more bins on their bent backs.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

The best part of this is always the caption "OK with risk" because Bob is extremely not OK with the minute risk of an allergic reaction or whatever from a vaccination.
It's not about risk to him personally, it's the kids that have to be ok with risk.

That's how you get 'lots of children' and 'shrinking cities' at the same time. :ohno:

e: ^ :lol::lol:

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
CO2 levels naturally controlled by diphtheria

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
an even better encapsulation of all that shite was that video of the wee man who lived in the prison apartment block lol

the guff these people imagine is no different from children who believe in monsters under their beds

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Death Stranding 2 looking good

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

idea for a programme: Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em but with the lady off The Shining as the central character

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

crispix posted:

an even better encapsulation of all that shite was that video of the wee man who lived in the prison apartment block lol

the guff these people imagine is no different from children who believe in monsters under their beds

I bet it took him 2 years to make that 'warning' video and now here we are, 2 years later, and none of it happened anyway

What a waste of time

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Lmao it's literally just this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
what is worrying is how pervasive it's become: my uncle who is in his 80s sits watching YouTube videos of various paranoid bigots with a fair chunk of his time

i first knew something was up when he tried to "introduce" me to jordan bastard peterson last year - quickest way I could get him to drop it was to tell him bernie sanders is more my kind of man

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Guavanaut posted:

I think the big unifying overview is a rejection of consensus reality and the idea that things can be known, or if not known then approximated to be socially useful. At the middle of that howling vortex are people like David Icke and Alex Jones who believe things simply because the majority of people don't. In the (extremely unlikely) event that free energy or whatever was popular they'd pivot to "there's no such thing as free energy it's secretly powered by the blood of cloned babies" or some poo poo.

Not to get all philosophy of science goonsay on you but I don't know if that is the best way to describe it . The scientific worldview isn't really about 'consensus' as much as 'consistency.' You don't have to believe in it; you can test it for yourself. It's not democracy; it's meritocracy.

I think the common trait between those three issues (islamaphobia, modern Russia apologia, transphobia) is that they are all attempts to launder anti-intellectualism. For the most part, I don't feel they are towards their own end. Instead, they prime people to be receptive to the next bit of anti-intellectualism that is more destructive or difficult to believe, such as climate change denialism or capitalism. As the expression goes: "What's the hardest conspiracy to fall for? The first one."

Why do these issues get more traction than something that is also an anti-intellectualist canard like flat earth? I imagine that most people understand the physical laws of the world better than they understand the social laws that govern things like religion, nations and gender. This is regardless of our species's actual scientific understanding of the those topics. Most of us know flat earth is impossible because we can intuit basic physics understandings by experiencing our bodies and can understand math as a pure relation of ideas. However, we can't as easily intuit gender metaphysics or the idea of a nation state so people are more vulnerable to having those ideas replaced by those bad actors.

Or maybe I'm full of poo poo, I dunno. Just how I have been looking at it for a while.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

And he ended up on his own there because he was poo poo to his wife and spent all day reading conspiracy nonsense on the internet instead of helping with the dinner or doing the cleaning once.

And despite all the stuff that he was apparently 'right' about he did gently caress all to prepare for any of it.

And despite all that he still got a free apartment and food and UBI and his biggest problem was 'woke' shows on the tv and not enough UBI to buy tech gadgets, it was hardly Port Elizabeth Camp.

It's amazing :allears:

crispix posted:

what is worrying is how pervasive it's become: my uncle who is in his 80s sits watching YouTube videos of various paranoid bigots with a fair chunk of his time

i first knew something was up when he tried to "introduce" me to jordan bastard peterson last year - quickest way I could get him to drop it was to tell him bernie sanders is more my kind of man
https://twitter.com/corncommunist/status/1667387315856236544

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

crispix posted:

"the president of the republic? yer no nephew a mine"

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.
My Dad started sharing Neil Oliver videos with me, he's no dad of mine.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Magnetic North posted:

Not to get all philosophy of science goonsay on you but I don't know if that is the best way to describe it . The scientific worldview isn't really about 'consensus' as much as 'consistency.' You don't have to believe in it; you can test it for yourself. It's not democracy; it's meritocracy.
I don't disagree, but consensus reality is more a sociological thing of how we agree we know things. None of those cranks are doing any science (even though they may appeal to any they like the look of), but they go further in rejecting the consensus reality that we generally know who is even doing science. Like how we generally know that a dozen virology institutions cross checking each others' PCR results is probably science and a guy on YouTube who claims to have made a free energy device probably isn't.

They're definitely anti-intellectualists, but they usually achieve it by sowing social uncertainty in the validity of institutions, the rationalization of society as a whole, the motives of the 'secret rulers of society' etc. rather than doing their own lovely experiments. (Except the people chugging horse dewormer, they definitely had some lovely experiments.)

The canonical example of that would be like the Protocols of Zion, which goes as absurdly far as to claim that all media, bureaucracy, science, education, etc. is being deliberately directed by a small group of Jews. That the ancien régime ran on common sense and natural order, but this new stuff, you can't trust any of it, it's Jewish. That's a transparent and naked attempt to replace a modern consensus reality with a (imagined) pre-enlightenment one to prop up reactionary aristocrats, but you can see the same in great replacement theory, or all trans is invented by a cabal of evil doctors, or similar.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

smellmycheese posted:

Straight out of politics and into a weekly column at The Mail. A merry go round of grifting

well, at least we're getting incisive content from it
https://twitter.com/DailyMailUK/status/1669736971911016452

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

crispix posted:

Jorp has become pure comedy gold though, like Dickie Dawkins. He can’t help tweeting insanely stupid poo poo. The dick milking factory is one of the all time greats

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lol. This is Johnson’s column tomorrow. He’s trying to become the new Adrian Chiles

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

smellmycheese posted:

Lol. This is Johnson’s column tomorrow. He’s trying to become the new Adrian Chiles

I wonder what Don Draper would say about this marketing tactic.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
he'll be hawking it for someone like trump with his :trumppop: HIGH DRAHCKSIE CHLORO QUEEN

crispix fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jun 16, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Managed to convince the boss to buy new computers, murder suicide provisionally postponed.

Hopefully might sort out the pay a bit and do something other than office work. We will see. Also hopefully going to spend as much of tomorrow as I can at the beach.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

smellmycheese posted:

Ah it's 11.30pm, time to ring the chef and chug some chorizo, cheddar, chili, churros, cheese chips, chicken, champagne, chamomile chai, chia and other such chic chow! Chop chop, cheers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
is the wonder drug colloidal silver