Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

There's no question people will be watching CATS in a decade. No one will ever watch those Disney Live Action remakes outside of the weekend they come out.

Right before COVID shut everything down, theaters were already doing midnight rep screenings of CATS, it was a cult classic the moment it touched down. How else are we supposed to react to human-cat hybrid Rebel Wilson directing an army of human-faced cockroaches to dance for her, or Skimbleshanks the railway cat (the cat of the railway train) spinning so fast he explodes into glitter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Right before COVID shut everything down, theaters were already doing midnight rep screenings of CATS, it was a cult classic the moment it touched down.

This is the reason Cats was the last movie I saw in theater before the quarantine times

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I feel like in terms of quality per second of screentime, like, if you can rate how good a movie is by volume, this is the best movie ever made.

https://twitter.com/NetflixIsAJoke/status/1669691294011076612?s=20

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Been watching the scream series and its real weird that paramount+ has scream 1, 2, 3, 5, and 6 but not 4, which we had to rent on Amazon. But aside from that it's real cool/funny how they have tied all the movies and the fake in-universe movies together but it's also so meta at the point that I don't even know how you could do another one.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

GateOfD posted:

So pretty much all the soul taken out and replaced with lifeless acting like every other live action Disney attempt

Pretty much. They changed up some things, a few of which actually worked but were negated very quickly by other things and in the end nothing really worked. I liked getting a bit more of Eric's internal life... but holy poo poo, his song dragged. Arielle being made to forget the conditions of her deal with Ursula was quite clever. Her and Eric are pretty much in love from the first moment; compared to other love stories of this caliber, three days are an eternity for the First Kiss of True Love to happen so they needed something to not make that happen beyond Eric being a dumbass. The omission of the cook's song and scene doesn't help with one lingering problem: Humans eat fish. I didn't see any cows on that island and I doubt they are all vegetarians so Not-Triton is actually right, those guys eat your friends Arielle!

I despise the movie's use of not one, but two Chekhov's Dead Parents. Not-Triton goes on and on about Arielle's dead mother and how the humans had killed her, and Eric's mom pretty much does the same for Eric's parents. I expected a third-act reveal that Arielle's mom ran away with Eric's dad or something, but nope. They died. Maybe they show up again in the sequel.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
All you need to know about the little mermaid remake is in this video

https://youtu.be/N4ovRhX8XIM

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Been watching the scream series and its real weird that paramount+ has scream 1, 2, 3, 5, and 6 but not 4, which we had to rent on Amazon. But aside from that it's real cool/funny how they have tied all the movies and the fake in-universe movies together but it's also so meta at the point that I don't even know how you could do another one.

The next Scream movie will be Scream 7, so the humor in that one should come from being that deep into a horror series.

Scream in Space.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Streaming really loving sucks for bullshit like that. I can't watch the David Gordon Green Halloween trilogy because two of them are on separate streaming services and one isn't available at all. loving lame as all hell.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Gripweed posted:

The next Scream movie will be Scream 7, so the humor in that one should come from being that deep into a horror series.

Scream in Space.

I think at this point the only way to go is extra meta with it being a making of documentary about the making of a new slasher movie about the story that inspired the Stab movies and have talking head segments from Ghostface.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Gripweed posted:

I feel like in terms of quality per second of screentime, like, if you can rate how good a movie is by volume, this is the best movie ever made.

People have pointed out the resemblance between Robinson and George C Scott in Dr. Strangelove before but this sketch feels the most like he's deliberately trying to channel that performance.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Grendels Dad posted:

Saw the Little Mermaid a Disney live remake and I am very disappointed to say that it is not the Cats-level visual catastrophe I was led to believe. It was butt-ugly, but mostly in a very bland way, some musical numbers got busy like a wimmelpicture but nothing really stands out as noticeably off-putting. Which is a shame, as the movie is completely boring otherwise.

That's the thing about the live action remakes, they're not really good but they're not memorable bad either. They're the cinematic equivalent of a boiled, unsalted potato.

Escobarbarian posted:

All you need to know about the little mermaid remake is in this video

https://youtu.be/N4ovRhX8XIM

That voice is pretty grating. I can't imagine being able to watch that entire clip.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Crabs really are kinda horrifying animals, huh

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Jay Rust posted:

Crabs really are kinda horrifying animals, huh

I constantly think about that scene in Kingdom of Heaven where a platter of large, cooked, whole crab is plopped down in front of Orlando Bloom's character and it's clearly the first time he's ever seen a crab, and Kevin McKidd's character is like "don't worry about it, it's actually quite good!" and they just leave it at that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea I've always thought of picking crabs as something you have to grow up with. I just don't think a person can get used to the idea of cracking open a giant bug and scooping out the guts unless they were acclimated to it as a child like we are here in Baltimore.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I've always thought of picking crabs as something you have to grow up with. I just don't think a person can get used to the idea of cracking open a giant bug and scooping out the guts unless they were acclimated to it as a child like we are here in Baltimore.

Is it really that weird compared to all the other stuff we eat?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
yeah, in the scheme of culinary history eating bugs isn't nearly as weird as, say, eating spicy peppers

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Alhazred posted:

Is it really that weird compared to all the other stuff we eat?

Yes.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

When a movie depicts a hosed up hallucination with practical effects, it is very good.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Kinda like eating puffin or whale or horse or fermented piss shark.

If you didn't grow up with it it might seem weird.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gripweed posted:

When a movie depicts a hosed up hallucination with practical effects, it is very good.

Yeah, Beau Is Afraid rules

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
It’s very unfair of the Criterion Channel to put The Heroic Trio under the Michelle Yeoh Kicks rear end collection when Maggie Cheung completely steals the show.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

True.

Ahe completely eclipses the other two in the titular trio in just about every way.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah all three women are good but Cheung’s energy as the badass wild card is something else.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

feedmyleg posted:

Watched The Phantom in honor of Treat Williams. It had a real fun first half, very pulpy and fun and zippy, and I was lost as to why it had such a bad reputation. Then the second half happened. Woof.

Still, overall much better than I assumed and managed to largely capture the right tone and vibes. I just wish it had a bit more plot and budget and that they figured out something to do with the third act.

Dead Heat/Deep Rising double feature!

Gripweed posted:

I discovered recently that there's a cohort of Disney fans who loving hate Emma Watson because allegedly she had a bunch of demands about her dress which went against classic ballgown construction so the movie dress looks like poo poo to dress nerds and they had to CGI the skirt in the dancing scene to make it move right.

Disney adults are deeply weird people.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Gripweed posted:

Scream in Space.

shouldn't that be the 10th Scream

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
A Scream that takes place a hundred years in the future by some cyberpunk copycat who read about Earth’s true crime history a century prior would be a fun take on the genre.

Just Ghostface running around in hoverboots, killing people with nanomachines and holograms and whatnot.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

it seems like Scream can't really get away from the iconic knife which make a lot of the kills kinda samey

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Remember when DTV horror sequels started going to "the hood"?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Alan Smithee posted:

Was Hellraiser Bloodline the 10th Hellraiser movie? Was Critters 4 the 10th Critters movie? Was Leprechaun In Space the 10th Leprechaun movie?

Alan Smithee posted:

it seems like Scream can't really get away from the iconic knife which make a lot of the kills kinda samey

there have been plenty of deaths by guns or garage doors in the Scream movies too

CPL593H posted:

Remember when DTV horror sequels started going to "the hood"?

Did any franchise other than Leprechaun do that?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Gripweed posted:

Was Hellraiser Bloodline the 10th Hellraiser movie? Was Critters 4 the 10th Critters movie? Was Leprechaun In Space the 10th Leprechaun movie?

there have been plenty of deaths by guns or garage doors in the Scream movies too

Did any franchise other than Leprechaun do that?

I feel like there was a trend of this but maybe it's just because I remember there being not one but two hood based Leprechaun movies. Few recall Leprechaun: Back 2 Tha Hood.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Alan Smithee posted:

It only took 4 Leprechauns to get there.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Air Skwirl posted:

It only took 4 Leprechauns to get there.

Hellraiser, too.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

yeah, in the scheme of culinary history eating bugs isn't nearly as weird as, say, eating spicy peppers
It's kinda funny how spicy peppers evolved it's spiciness to discourage people and animals from eating them (capsaicin which make them spicy is actually a neurotoxin) and instead it just made them better.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Kinda like eating puffin or whale or horse or fermented piss shark.

If you didn't grow up with it it might seem weird.
Yeah, kinda weird to hunt and eat a species of bird who's in danger of going extinct.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Alhazred posted:

It's kinda funny how spicy peppers evolved it's spiciness to discourage people and animals from eating them (capsaicin which make them spicy is actually a neurotoxin) and instead it just made them better.

Now we only need to invent a dish we can season with wasps and Mother Nature's self-own will be complete.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Capsaicin reacts with our neuroreceptors the same way coccaine does.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Gripweed posted:

ngl as a non dog owner I've always wondered how you could trust a doggy door to not let any manner of doggy door sized horrors from the outside in

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

ngl as a non dog owner I've always wondered how you could trust a doggy door to not let any manner of doggy door sized horrors from the outside in

I mean, it would be a pretty terrible idea to have a doggy door lead to an area that isn’t fenced in. Other than that most animals don’t really have a reason to enter your home. All the animals that don’t try to be fifty miles from the nearest human are perfectly content rooting through your garbage.

You’d also want to lock it at night, and if you’re fancy, there are electronic ones that only unlock when an RFID tag on your dog’s collar is near.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Right before COVID shut everything down, theaters were already doing midnight rep screenings of CATS, it was a cult classic the moment it touched down. How else are we supposed to react to human-cat hybrid Rebel Wilson directing an army of human-faced cockroaches to dance for her, or Skimbleshanks the railway cat (the cat of the railway train) spinning so fast he explodes into glitter?

Yeah, there's movies that are merely bad and not worth your time and then there's stuff like Southland Tales.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Alhazred posted:

Yeah, kinda weird to hunt and eat a species of bird who's in danger of going extinct.

Nobody has really been allowed to hunt them much since 2010.

Which is good because they taste like poo poo.

Most of our traditional food is bad and only eaten for tradition. Whaling is done by one (1) company who is seemingly constantly losing money.

Its all very stupid

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jun 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Rebel Wilson unzipping her fur to reveal another suit of fur