Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

dokmo posted:

I don't make predictions often so take note: scoot is gonna bust hard and cam whitmore is going to be the best one handed no pass player since tari eason.

What makes you think scoot is gonna be a bust

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."

Shear Modulus posted:

Going to guess his mediocre shooting, no defense and just good foul drawing (yes I know the Gleague 1 free-throw thing). He could end being russell Westbrook or next Dennis Smith Jr, so him leaning towards DSJ would be megabust

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

dokmo posted:

I don't make predictions often so take note: scoot is gonna bust hard and cam whitmore is going to be the best one handed no pass player since tari eason.

Dokmo he has 8x8.25 inch hands

and scoot is good

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Rick posted:

Truth. The size is a thing for sure especially if some of the podcasters who are saying small ball is done is right (I tend to think, these people are reactionaries, or at least maybe they're finally seeing the reality of small ball and not what they thought was happening, which is teams continue to do a variety of things). And I could not help but see many guys who I liked and signed off on this draft who I had to suppress the "yeah but what happens when people switch on them" because it kind of is a fun ruining question.

He is kind of like tall D'Angelo Russell to me as far as the ways he scores. D'Angelo ended up making a lot of that stuff work but he had to come a long way and it's still not a consistent product. But I think he's slower than Russell was in college which is kind of scary to say about someone. However because of the size he'll be less vulnerable on defense and if he can shoot he could have a good career, II think you're right though that he could end up in either direction in the woods, I have no idea.

1. exactly

2.Yeah the slowness is a problem. And it will be on him to get stronger, to make catch and shoot threes, and get his handle tightened up.

That's one thing all the people who are down on scoot miss. Guys with handles like scoot just get to go where they want on the court. It's like a golden ticket to bending the geometry.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Or he got scared by what happened to Will Levis

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Shear Modulus posted:

lack of real burst, inability to turn the corner, and willingness to settle for lovely pullups.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

dokmo posted:

lack of real burst, inability to turn the corner, and willingness to settle for lovely pullups.

Do you think that his normal early 20s basketball improvement might not exist becuause he's been trained since he was a little kid?

I just like the way he calmly surveys the court and hits pull up jumpers in guys faces. I also appreciate how he uses defenders bodies to pommel horse his way to the rim.

I think he has one of the stronger handles to come around in a while which helps make up for speed

You see him look a lot faster in transition which means he needs a while to build up a head of steam, you can see when he curls instead of goes straight to the basket that he jumps higher/further.
also you gotta remember a lot of the g league season he had an ankle injury that he was playing on.

Who do you like in the draft other than Cameron Whitmore?

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 16, 2023

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Dejan Bimble posted:

I think he has one of the stronger handles to come around in a while which helps make up for speed

I don't think his handle will translate into rim attacking. It didn't really in the g league.

Dejan Bimble posted:

Who do you like in the draft other than Cameron Whitmore?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMpBobAonKs

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

dokmo posted:

I don't think his handle will translate into rim attacking. It didn't really in the g league.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMpBobAonKs

Post injury Baron Davis?

Yeah I've come around on the thompsons too. amen is obvious, he's a jordan level run jump/move athlete and as rick said got a lot better as a pg as the year went on.
And Ausar has more bball iq and his shot was coming around as the season ended.

the question is how will they fare without twin telepathy guiding them

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
But the things you just said were a bust indicator for Scoot apply moreso to Amen, except maybe the burst thing. Amen has way worse handles and a way jankier jumper.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Amen is a physical and athletic hero, an outlier that we rarely see. If nothing else works out for him, he will be a very large and jumpy player.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I kinda think Scoot's giant hands are in the way of his shooting motion like young Kawhi. Scooter needs a chip engullund to give him an unorthodox but repeatable super high release head tip back jumper.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Wemby is the greatest defensive prospect ever, literally, and Scoot is the only guard he played all year who scored against him on drives more than twice in a game. Even if he's only ever a Westbrook level-shooter Scoot is going to have a pretty good career.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Rumor is that the Pelicans interest in Scoot are true (duh) but also that they aren't willing to give up Ingram or Zion for him. Pels offered a million picks, Hornets said no. Hornets asked for Ingram, Pels said no.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Here's a couple of clips to show what I mean about Scoot. In both cases he comes off a screen and can't turn the corner, and settles for the pullup. In the first clip he can't even get past Johnny Juzang who is a very slow and unathletic player. In the 2nd Moussa Diabate (a big slow center) gets switched onto him and he can't beat him. These plays aren't egregious as there is some help waiting for him to some degree in both cases, but you see this over and over and over and they are a distinct pattern: he rarely beats his man off the dribble.

https://i.imgur.com/eqvGxci.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/6XbUiam.mp4

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
From what I can see the issue is lateral movement, where he definitely is not moving that quickly. But he also absolutely torches people when he has a straight line to the basket.

At least some of the lack of speed is he does use a lot of speed change on offense. So even if he's not Russell Westbrook fast, he's really great at suckering guys into moving to cut off a slow drive that suddenly becomes him slashing straight to the basket very quickly

This guy breaks it down more succinctly than I could.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrIdADNEwO0

I dunno seems like the lateral speed thing is something that can be worked on but if a guy is fast in a straight line isn't the lateral movement something that can be taught?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
If the Hornets take him he should also have advantage a fair amount playing next to Melo

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Rick posted:

I dunno seems like the lateral speed thing is something that can be worked on but if a guy is fast in a straight line isn't the lateral movement something that can be taught?

Look if I knew the answer to that I'd actually be good at this draft stuff

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

That first clip remind me a lot of Kyrie which is an underrated comp to Scoot imo. The crossover pull up is filthy.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Apparently Toronto tryna move up to #3?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Kyrie had better shooting mechanics and not nearly as much raw athleticism. The handles look similar but if course we only had like 7 minutes of college ball from Kyrie.

As per lateral quickness I'd assume Scoot could work on that? Seems more behavior than physical limitation in his case. Might need to work on his balance?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Apparently Toronto tryna move up to #3?

A Pascal for 3 deal sounds good assuming Grant doesn’t throw a fit because he back to being a third option.

Is Miller a good enough shooter right now to space the floor when Scottie has the ball?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Calidus posted:

Is Miller a good enough shooter right now

Yes

quote:

to space the floor when Scottie has the ball?

I don't know if anyone's that good

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
It's really hard to say who is a legitimate spacer because it absolutely 100% depends who they are sharing the court with. If you have an absolutely dominant interior offensive player, then there really isn't anyone that will space the floor for them, short of like prime Curry (someone who is like 95% percentile at all of off-the-dribble, off-screens, and movement shots).

e: It comes to a point that you just want skilled, versatile offensive options to surround your key playmaking hub. I think focusing on if they "space" the floor is focusing too much on the wrong thing. You just want to be able to score points, no matter how. Give me more skilled players over someone who can only make spot-up 3s.

Kibner fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 17, 2023

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Rick posted:

From what I can see the issue is lateral movement, where he definitely is not moving that quickly. But he also absolutely torches people when he has a straight line to the basket.

At least some of the lack of speed is he does use a lot of speed change on offense. So even if he's not Russell Westbrook fast, he's really great at suckering guys into moving to cut off a slow drive that suddenly becomes him slashing straight to the basket very quickly

This guy breaks it down more succinctly than I could.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrIdADNEwO0

Lateral agility is a training + mobility + genetics thing. The patriots famously focused on agility over raw speed and got lots of diamonds in the rough by finding uncommonly agile guys who didn't seem fast otherwise, because it's easier to start agile than learn it. But you can train it via repetition.

dokmo posted:

Here's a couple of clips to show what I mean about Scoot. In both cases he comes off a screen and can't turn the corner, and settles for the pullup. In the first clip he can't even get past Johnny Juzang who is a very slow and unathletic player. In the 2nd Moussa Diabate (a big slow center) gets switched onto him and he can't beat him. These plays aren't egregious as there is some help waiting for him to some degree in both cases, but you see this over and over and over and they are a distinct pattern: he rarely beats his man off the dribble.

https://i.imgur.com/eqvGxci.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/6XbUiam.mp4
I spent all last night watching scoot to find him winning off the dribble without a head of speed and it just kept not happening :( (except in high school to a degree)

He could evolve into a Chris Paul type finesse player, but Chris Paul is a once or twice in a generation bball iq guy.

Or maybe its a total smokescreen and he does it fine in the league. I'm shaken. You've shaken me

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

That's...not a good look

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Well hello there, unrepentant chucker, Jaime Jaquez. That's an unusually high number of shots you decided to take and mostly also nail.

Edit
Wait, are those career numbers? Is the college ball sample size that rear end?

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 18, 2023

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Yeah he was in college a long time and played in a conference where scoring is allowed.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Veryslightlymad posted:

Well hello there, unrepentant chucker, Jaime Jaquez. That's an unusually high number of shots you decided to take and mostly also nail.

Edit
Wait, are those career numbers? Is the college ball sample size that rear end?

I assume "halfcourt rim%" means this is only shots taken at the rim in the halfcourt offense (meaning transition/fast break opportunities would be thrown out of this sample)

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

I assume "halfcourt rim%" means this is only shots taken at the rim in the halfcourt offense (meaning transition/fast break opportunities would be thrown out of this sample)

Yes

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

WhyteRyce posted:

That's...not a good look

I keep looking at this and keep shaking my head at a potential #3 pick being that bad at finishing.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

For what is is worth Jaylen Brown had very similar numbers and that worked out OK.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Mean Baby posted:

For what is is worth Jaylen Brown had very similar numbers and that worked out OK.

Jaylen Also played with hell level spacing and had a club where one hand was

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Here is a nightmare of a comprehensive draft prospect statistical chart

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

WhyteRyce posted:

That's...not a good look

His name is too boring and makes me think of Brad Miller which is not OK.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Dejan Bimble posted:

Here is a nightmare of a comprehensive draft prospect statistical chart

Don't doxx me

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Dejan Bimble posted:

Jaylen Also played with hell level spacing and had a club where one hand was

Where one hand was what? What was it? What is it you want me to know about One Hand?
This is just like those last guys who wouldn't answer me about this question. I mean, yeah, they were cool enough guys, but they kept trying to get me to figure it out for myself. I never got it, so after a while it felt more and more like me not being part of their cool kids club. I can't stand not knowing things. They didn't seem like they were big into basketball, though, so it's probably---

poo poo.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Veryslightlymad posted:

Where one hand was what? What was it? What is it you want me to know about One Hand?
This is just like those last guys who wouldn't answer me about this question. I mean, yeah, they were cool enough guys, but they kept trying to get me to figure it out for myself. I never got it, so after a while it felt more and more like me not being part of their cool kids club. I can't stand not knowing things. They didn't seem like they were big into basketball, though, so it's probably---

poo poo.

Not sure what this post is but jaylen can only dribble with one hand this is somehow true 8 years into his nba career

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Kibner posted:

I keep looking at this and keep shaking my head at a potential #3 pick being that bad at finishing.

To me he's just Cam Johnson, a very similar profile out of college, albeit on a better team which required Johnson to do less. In the draft Cam Johnson was in everyone made fun of the Suns for picking him as high as they did but he was close enough to where I would have picked him that I defended the pick and think I was right. However, I would not have picked him 2 or 3.

I dunno if Miller comes in and shoots and hits shots at a Klay volume then he can be a great NBA player but I think "solid roleplayer" is where he's aimed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Metapod posted:

Not sure what this post is but jaylen can only dribble with one hand this is somehow true 8 years into his nba career

It was a poorly constructed attempt to be funny, as are about 95% of my comments.

In this case, because the sentence just kind of ended I treated it like a riddle, one that hearkens to the famous Zen Buddhist Koan of "What is the sound of One Hand Clapping?" (Although I think that particular one might be Japanese in origin, so it's not entirely appropriate) and made up a story about these guys bullying my unenlightened rear end, and implied my space to talk about basketball is the one place where I'm free from this torment.

Then I posted the excellent "Monks playing basketball" (And pretty drat well! Especially for in robes) tweet from the other thread, and cussed, because I now have to further face my own inadequacy.

I sometimes construct these things and they're too convoluted to be funny. I just wanted an excuse to give Dejan a teensy bit of poo poo for just... ending his sentence, except the JOKE IS ON ME because my reading comprehension is apparently poo poo and he wasn't saying that Brown had a [basketball] club where one hand was [sentence ends] he was saying Brown had a [tool for bludgeoning] where one [of his] hands was.