Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Guavanaut posted:

A parody in the Rick and Morty school of "what if everyone was an abusive drunk rear end in a top hat like I am, wouldn't that be edgy huh?"

Which makes it all the more amusing that it's even further away from actual observed reality than the Robinsonades it was trying to roll its eyes at.

True that a number of incidents have occurred in recorded history where groups of young people were shipwrecked or what have you for long periods of time on isolated islands, but I don't think I've seen any that weren't people who were from the area and had some local knowledge and survival skills already. The one that gets pointed to as a "real-life Lord of the Flies", six Tongan teenagers in the 60s stole a boat and got lost, ending up on 'Ata for more than a year.

I'm curious if any actual maroonings ever consisted of a gang of future candidates for Upper Class Twit of the Year, since that's the social group Golding was criticizing specifically in order to puncture their delusions of cultural superiority, like those Robinsonades you mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The problem with the way Golding does that is that he doesn't claim that these upper class choirboys are socialized into hate, he does it through showing the wearing off of the outer garment of civilization, revealing that they were all savages just as much as anyone else was.

And that does work as a "not as civilized as you think you are" criticism of aristocracy, but it also plays straight into veneer theory, the Hobbesian idea that we're all just violent primates acting polite in public.

(That even carries through to modern day use of the trope, when someone says a situation has gone a bit lord of the flies they don't mean "someone put Boris Johnson in charge of it and it's ruined", they mean that the etiquette of civilization has disappeared for a group and they've 'reverted' to primitive behaviour.)

It's easy to see why people were into veneer theory sounding ideas during the aftermath of WW2 and the growth of anticolonial wars, but they're not a healthy way to observe the world.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Gort posted:

British public school kids = privileged upper class white kids

"Public" school is a misleading term in the UK. It generally means a school anyone can go to if they're rich enough, but here's Wikipedia on it if you want to get into the weeds.

Yes, I know what it is. That's why I said it. Every story that comes out of these schools is absolutely insane and it goes a long way to explain just one of many reasons everyone hates the british far and wide

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yes, I know what it is. That's why I said it. Every story that comes out of these schools is absolutely insane and it goes a long way to explain just one of many reasons everyone hates the british far and wide

Cool, your correcting of Jaxyon with "Close" made me think you thought there was some difference between "British public school kids" and "privileged upper class white kids".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
:hmmyes:
I thought I was in CSPAM, so that is an ironic emoji.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It gets better
https://twitter.com/mtaibbi/status/1669435902500786177

Well maybe you shouldn't have written the most dickriding rear end act of "investigative journalism" in history about a company that immediately hosed you.

I'm getting a little tired of having to sleep in this bed that I made.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Can't believe this is real.

https://twitter.com/mtaibbi/status/1669433961028767759

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/highbrow_nobrow/status/1669435720824664064

Oh I bet

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Killary Clinton strikes again!

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

https://twitter.com/DailyMailUK/status/1669649093461786624

Experts at an office furniture company want you to know about the dangers of WFH.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

cat botherer posted:

Experts at an office furniture company want you to know about the dangers of WFH.

That’s not that bad for someone who would be about 100 years old

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Looks like a Daily Mail reader, yup

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Some methods of propaganda never change.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/PostOpinions/status/1669763006832492544?s=20

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Rebel Blob posted:

I dunno, I am forty now and I still look thirty. Perhaps the propaganda is backwards

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Or actually not. That's not healing anything. The right would just be emboldened because they already think they'll just bully the left into what they want by being horrible.

If Trump can't be held accountable for his many crimes then I expect some serious disillusionment about 'rule of law' and 'good governance' is going to kick in and further exacerbate the current societal problems. If the people who believe in law and process and fairness become convinced it's not achievable then things might start getting real wild.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Professor Beetus posted:

I dunno, I am forty now and I still look thirty. Perhaps the propaganda is backwards
/

:hmmyes:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Rebel Blob posted:

but isnt Benjamin Franklin known for loving a ton?

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

By age 50 the masturbator becomes a wizard, with many powerful JO crystals.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Professor Beetus posted:

I have less wrinkles and get carded more now than when I was thirty, thanks to the magic of using sunscreen and tretinoin from an Indian pharmacy.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

PhazonLink posted:

Yeah that’s why he didn’t have to j/o

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

PhazonLink posted:

Hey we owe American independence to Ben Franklin suckin' and fuckin' basically all of France.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/betonline_ag/status/1669794023165558784?s=46&t=A_iY-gupVf13dcIJPetZhQ

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Every bet placed comes with a complementary intervention via Gamblers Anonymous.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

cat botherer posted:

Hey we owe American independence to Ben Franklin suckin' and fuckin' basically all of France.

Otoh this seems like a net negative for the world. But on the other *gestures vaguely at England*

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

cat botherer posted:

Looks like at least half of the people who work in an office tbh

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Rebel Blob posted:

What the hell is that "21-year-old 'abstainer'", doing with his hand?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Nebrilos posted:

Abstaining with great vigor in public like the pervert he is.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Nebrilos posted:

Bible says nothing about self butt stuff.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Rebel Blob posted:

There is no way benjamin franklin didn't masturbate

e: apparently we all saw benjamin franklin

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
But what was he masturbating with?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Guavanaut posted:

But what was he masturbating with?

This isn't the libertarian thread.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Milo and POTUS posted:

There is no way benjamin franklin didn't masturbate

e: apparently we all saw benjamin franklin
Ben Franklin didn't masturbate. When you're getting rear end left and right like that, the refractory period doesn't allow it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

cat botherer posted:

Ben Franklin didn't masturbate. When you're getting rear end left and right like that, the refractory period doesn't allow it.

Only bad wankers gently caress.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/patriottakes/status/1671161500495646724

RFK Jr believes in every medical conspiracy theory apparently

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I’m starting to think this scion of a wealthy family who lost his father very early in his life might have some issues

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
So it has never been isolated, but was also made in a lab, but they made it out of poppers?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I remember when it came out that Ryan White was doing poppers right before his blood transfusion. McGruff even traced them back to his dealer, Fauci. Hell of a time to be alive, man. Hell of a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/StrewthQueen/status/1671135643999801352

water boarding couldn’t have gotten this outta me etc