Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

idonotlikepeas posted:

Divorcing character stats from character appearance is generally a good move.

I agree wholeheartedly.

I'm also in favour of divorcing stats from race/character origin. Stat bonuses (gently caress penalties) should come from class, if that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

But then I couldn't make a troll decker to fight the man

and then hand them a heavy weapon anyway because gently caress it, miniguns are fun

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Out of those get-ups I like the corpomage the best.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Lynneth posted:

Out of those get-ups I like the corpomage the best.

Unfortunately there's not much practical reason to buy the 4 armor outfits when the 6 armor ones are available at the same time, especially with only 500 nuyen price difference. Maybe if you're playing a backliner like a rigger or something, but a melee fighter in a game modded to give enemies full use of their AP is basically the opposite of that, so...

If we're buying one then we might as well put it up for a vote between the 6 armor choices, but we're still missing two from the weapon and adept stores.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
It's rather vexing that money seems so scarce in this game. I know that some semblance of balance has to be preserved, but it's also fun to buy things and enjoy that content too.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

It's rather vexing that money seems so scarce in this game. I know that some semblance of balance has to be preserved, but it's also fun to buy things and enjoy that content too.

Money is definitely more scarce in this one than either of the previous ones, although most characters will still get to buy most of the toys they're interested in over time and personally I kind of like having to prioritize what you really want and how soon. Shops do only get upgraded wares exactly twice over the course of the game, this being the first time, so you also get blasted with big new selections at once that you then need to work towards instead of constant gradual upgrades like in most RPGs. Cyberware especially, since there's more install slots and way more options in this one compared to before.

Summoning fetishes at least should cost a little less or auto-refresh between runs like with companions though, 1000+ nuyen a pop for one-time consumables that are central to the archetype is pretty rough.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 11, 2023

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

turns out their actual fetish was burning nuyen all along

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

There are a lot more environment summons in Hong Kong than Dragonfall, though that doesn't change that Kindly is robbing you blind.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Personally I like that money is scarce in this title, simply because it makes a lot of sense to me. Kindly did a lot of work up front for you so that you’d even survive the initial events, the idea that she’s garnishing your wages in effect makes sense.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

JustJeff88 posted:

The game is not very hard (especially since companions handle their own upgrades) so money woes to me are more about telling you to laser-focus on Your poo poo ; which gameplay/XP allocation wise is also good "advice".

Agreed on the fetishes one-shot being some bullshit. Also on chrome lovers getting kinda screwed by having to pour money into two things instead of the one everyone else does.
Chrome, though. It's cyberpunk, y'all *gotta* have chrome.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Kobal2 posted:

The game is not very hard (especially since companions handle their own upgrades) so money woes to me are more about telling you to laser-focus on Your poo poo ; which gameplay/XP allocation wise is also good "advice".

Agreed on the fetishes one-shot being some bullshit. Also on chrome lovers getting kinda screwed by having to pour money into two things instead of the one everyone else does.
Chrome, though. It's cyberpunk, y'all *gotta* have chrome.

You don't have to. A good Cyber-Spur and shurikens took a Street Samurai through this entire game, once I had those I just had to buy the top level outfit and bioware once it became available.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
It's trivally easy to hand yourself unlimited nuyen if you want to go that route. My first run(s) through this game I was actually forced to care about upgrades which I think was a net positive, but eventually I wanted to see what unlimited power was like and that was fun too. The ingame console is easy to activate and there is, I think, a shortcut button which is literally Give Nuyen and you just click it as many times as you want.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Psion posted:

It's trivally easy to hand yourself unlimited nuyen if you want to go that route. My first run(s) through this game I was actually forced to care about upgrades which I think was a net positive, but eventually I wanted to see what unlimited power was like and that was fun too. The ingame console is easy to activate and there is, I think, a shortcut button which is literally Give Nuyen and you just click it as many times as you want.

Isn't that just shoving yourself full of +ap until you 1 turn the final boss? You can afford that on a normal playthrough.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

FoolyCharged posted:

Isn't that just shoving yourself full of +ap until you 1 turn the final boss? You can afford that on a normal playthrough.

well yeah you can do that too, but there's degrees to using those console buttons :v:

but what I mean more generally is they had three games to try three different economy balances and none of them really worked as a limiting factor until HK where they went with "fine. your fixer owns you so hard you get nothing, get OVER it" because in DF the Alice money sink which wasn't quite tuned right and SRR had ... I don't even know. weird payouts and a lot of hiring runners?

HK they put you in a scenario where it's plausible (if unfortunate for the characters) that you just don't get a lot. It's tough, but it fits thematically.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

It's pretty easy to balance an economy in a game like this by saying that your teammates took their cut or you had to pay rent or buy food or ammo or something. There can always an explanation for why your job payout is a pittance.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Kith posted:

It's pretty easy to balance an economy in a game like this by saying that your teammates took their cut or you had to pay rent or buy food or ammo or something. There can always an explanation for why your job payout is a pittance.

Notably you are still paying off Auntie for burning your SIN and also not shooting you in the back of the head and dumping your body in the bay for being part of a gigantic loving hassle.

Both of these services are extremely expensive.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
The money tightness is appropriate given both genre and game themes. It also makes money *matter more*. Now, losing out on some pay or giving up money for "moral" reasons is a lot more painful.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Psion posted:

The dev menu is perfect for LPing I use it a lot behind the scenes for things like testing skills or adding up enough Karma to show off shop menus without 90% of the selection being blanked out due to being unable to equip them for instance. Plus it allows for stuff like hiding the UI, breaking the default zoom levels and removing the fog, which gives a lot more options for screenshotting. Everything that actually happens in the LP is "clean" though.

Standard melee Adept is a relatively low-cost archetype monetarily anyhow, there's few weapon upgrades, few spells to purchase, and limited cyberware options. Some attribute-increasing fetishes and such are useful too of course but the main limitation is largely Karma, at least if you want to be good at non-violent things as well.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Kanfy posted:

Some attribute-increasing fetishes and such are useful too of course but the main limitation is largely Karma, at least if you want to be good at non-violent things as well.

Which is why, no matter the initial plan, I always end up running as Some Kinda Shaman-Type Thing in these games. Doubly so in HK, where not only are the various etiquettes more "balanced" (i.e. all are used between 10 and 20 times each) , but most of 'em are actually materially impactful too !
So you go "Ok, let's put 2 more in CHA so I can pick Shadowrunner... but I want Security too, so let's put 2 more and oh I've got CHA coming out my rear end, well I'll just pick a Totem then cause it's a cheap boost, and why not pick Haste while I'm at it it's not so much more XP and might as well put some in control elemental to use the environmental ones 'cuz they're good bullet sponges if nothing else but oh I see I'm a Shaman now, ok."

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

SirFozzie posted:

Put Gobbet and Blitz in a team together.

Then get far far away.

L2 or L3 may be far enough away.

Maybe

Maybe not even that, given that in one of the latest Shadowrun books (no, the most recent edition of Shadowrun is not good, it's one step forward, three steps back, and five drunken steps off the side of a narrow pathway and into a bottomless ravine) we see what Blitz has ended up doing after that whole Dragonfall thing and he's accidentally ended up being the catspaw of APEX. That's a pretty big whoopsie.

This outcome is extremely funny but also absolutely appropriate for Blitz, given that his core traits were:
1. Thinks he's the most competent person on the planet;
2. Is almost as good a decker as he thinks he is;
3. Is a bit of a tire fire in every other aspect

I could absolutely see APEX both wanting to keep tabs on him because he's dangerous and using him because he's actually possible to manipulate.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Blitz is overwhelmingly competent, but also a moron, so him turning into a stooge doesn't surprise me in the least.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Next up: Blitz somehow starts a chain reaction that gets APEX deleted while only attempting to prove some minor decker bragging point to some rando on the matrix.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Blitz accidentally starts a cascade failure of all AAA corps matrix security while arguing with some other rando about what combo of drugs it's best to be high on while watching Knight-Kings of LightningHold.

This becomes known as Blitz Day in running circles.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
My fanfic- Blitz causes a huge problem on the Shadowrun internet and Isobel has to clean up the mess. She confronts him about it in a private chat room and he admits he did it all for attention. Isobel advises him to find better ways to demonstrate his talents, then clicks off.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

By popular demand posted:

Next up: Blitz somehow starts a chain reaction that gets APEX deleted while only attempting to prove some minor decker bragging point to some rando on the matrix.

Good to see that War Thunder is alive and well on this iteration of the matrix.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Kith posted:

Blitz is overwhelmingly competent, but also a moron, so him turning into a stooge doesn't surprise me in the least.

The best part of this is that the date for that adventure is 2080ish.

Blitz is so capable he managed to survive to like, 60 years old as a shadowrunners (well, ex-shadowrunner now, he's a fixer in the 2080s) and such a fuckup that he's gotten himself involved with the last surviving super AI, it is absolutely what future Blitz should look like.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

the idea of an elderly blitz is loving terrifying

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Beware an old man in a hurry.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

MJ12 posted:

The best part of this is that the date for that adventure is 2080ish.

Blitz is so capable he managed to survive to like, 60 years old as a shadowrunners (well, ex-shadowrunner now, he's a fixer in the 2080s) and such a fuckup that he's gotten himself involved with the last surviving super AI, it is absolutely what future Blitz should look like.

drat, which book is this? Might have to look it up when I get the chance.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

GhostStalker posted:

drat, which book is this? Might have to look it up when I get the chance.

It's Hack and Slash, the 6e Matrix book.

Mindopali
Jun 7, 2023
I'm always wary of books that pick up on characters from video games or movies (or vice-versa) as I often feel it caters more to easy fan-service than actual story telling or character development. But from the description you made, I gotta admit this fits Blitz to an absolute T. I'll take a look one of these days when I have some more free time.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

To be fair, most of the characters from Dragonfall were confirmed to be super dead because of the Flux State's collapse.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Kith posted:

To be fair, most of the characters from Dragonfall were confirmed to be super dead because of the Flux State's collapse.

and if there's one thing we know about Blitz, it's that his mistakes consistently get OTHER people killed

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

and if there's one thing we know about Blitz, it's that his mistakes consistently get OTHER people killed

Are you saying the collapse of the Flux State was Blitz's fault?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

Are you saying the collapse of the Flux State was Blitz's fault?

look, chief, how was he supposed to know that GreatGoldWyrm@sk.biz might not be on the level

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Kith posted:

I presume Dietrich in particular is super-canon dead, for the obvious reasons

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

JT Jag posted:

I presume Dietrich in particular is super-canon dead, for the obvious reasons

Oh, no doubt. He went down swinging for certain, but there's no way he's not dead as hell.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Dietrich as an individual may by no more but the Dragonslayer is eternal, the Dragonslayer remembers.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
For the non-Blitz companions, I’m thinking that Dietrich is super-dead and Eiger probably went down too. However I’d think that Glory survived simply because ‘rescue the children’ feels more canon for her route and I’d think she was out of the line of fire due to hunting for Harrow.

Though in terms of what feels like more canon, Blitz loving up things with his girlfriend feels more right, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Blitz is pretty much the only non-rich person who accepted the "move fast and break stuff" business strategy into his heart and stuck with it after the first series of trainwrecks.
The rich, being immune to consequences have no problems sticking to bad ideas.