Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

LMDhold my beer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I am pleasantly surprised that the NASCAR finished. I was half expecting it to end up in the wall, half expecting a massive drive train failure. That was far more engine starts than that drive train normally goes through (they leave the engine on in the pits normally), far more gear changes than it would experience ever (which is probably why it failed compared to the other parts of it), and by far more miles than any NASCAR drive train has ever done in 24 hours.

The longest race NASCAR has is 600 miles/965.4 km. The car over the course of 24 hours turned 285 laps for 2413.095 miles/3883.41km, over four times the longest race it would experience normally.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

iospace posted:

I am pleasantly surprised that the NASCAR finished. I was half expecting it to end up in the wall, half expecting a massive drive train failure. That was far more engine starts than that drive train normally goes through (they leave the engine on in the pits normally), far more gear changes than it would experience ever (which is probably why it failed compared to the other parts of it), and by far more miles than any NASCAR drive train has ever done in 24 hours.

The longest race NASCAR has is 600 miles/965.4 km. The car over the course of 24 hours turned 285 laps for 2413.095 miles/3883.41km, over four times the longest race it would experience normally.

It was a massive accomplishment. Look at all the DNFs, from teams that actually have wet weather practice and experience. They interviewed one of the team members on RLM who said one of the drivers had only done 3 wet races in his career. The fact that they finished and didn't stuff it into a wall is amazing and awesome to see.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Finger Prince posted:

It was a massive accomplishment. Look at all the DNFs, from teams that actually have wet weather practice and experience. They interviewed one of the team members on RLM who said one of the drivers had only done 3 wet races in his career. The fact that they finished and didn't stuff it into a wall is amazing and awesome to see.

That would be Jimmie Johnson, who was a NASCAR lifer. NASCAR took a while to implement a wet weather package for road courses and now they're using it for low banked short ovals (mile or shorter) as well.

Funny enough, Jimmie has more experience with a 4 speed H pattern than any other shifter setup for a race car.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

iwentdoodie posted:

Also the wec like every other FIA racing org actively hates you for watching or enjoying the racing product and will actively gently caress over anyone they can for oil money.

FIA is rizzed up by the livvy.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

This upstart Ferrari manufacturer seems on the up and up. Perhaps they would consider entering the pinnacle of motorsport someday.

RLM cursed Toyota, the were complaining on the broadcast that they wouldn't give interviews all race and then after Hartley finished his mega stint they finally got an interview with him and Kaz. Minutes later Hirokawa binned it.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

iospace posted:

That would be Jimmie Johnson, who was a NASCAR lifer. NASCAR took a while to implement a wet weather package for road courses and now they're using it for low banked short ovals (mile or shorter) as well.

Funny enough, Jimmie has more experience with a 4 speed H pattern than any other shifter setup for a race car.

I will apologize to Jimmie because I fully expected him to bin it but he proved me wrong and brought it home.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
If you are going on your own to Le Mans and never went to anywhere in France, here are some hints from a random idiot that just went there (some concerns the track, other are general suggestions).

• If you plan on doing anything beyond existing at Le Mans, an ACO membership is a must, you get discounts on ticket, gadgets and other assorted services. Just by purchasing a couple of tickets with discounts you are in the black.
  • France has contactless payment in every shop but impromptu food stands, there is no point in bringing incredible amounts of cash. Keep 200€ in small notes with you.
  • Have a decent data plan with SEE coverage before getting foot on continental Europe.
  • Apple Maps hasn’t just got road data but also pedestrian sidewalks so you get indications even when to move from a road to another when the pedestrian side road is gone, sometimes almost too aggressively so don’t get surprised by random changes of directions.
  • Apple Maps also isn’t aware of the existence of the south gate of the circuit so you will always get directions for the north gate.
  • The green ticket requires only the last leg of the journey to be reliant on eco friendly methods of transportation. You could theoretically go to Paris on the Adm. Kuznetsov, running on mazut, but once you take the tgv from Paris to lemans you are set.
  • SNCF schedule is accurate. Don’t rely on delays to save you.
  • If you are on a budget, Inoui train services are more than adequate but they have minuscule overhead storage. If you have a bulky luggage you will have to use the luggage area in the front of the carriage. Also the train staff will murder you if you speak on the cell phone in the cabin, they are incredibly strict about it.
  • Frenchmen/women will happily let you die in front of them before talking English, so try to learn the basics before attempting to get here:
    1. Bonjour (Greetings/hello)
    2. Pardon (Sorry/Coming thru)
    3. Merci (Thanks)
    4. Merci beacoup (Many thanks/Thanks a lot)
    5. Où est la gare? (Where is the rail station?)
    6. Où est le circuit? (Where is the track?)
    Apple translator is accurate and has a very cool walkie-talkie mode to save your skin but try to get some basic sentences in your skull.
  • Avoid the “lost American tourist” look: sandals, shorts, silly hats, lousy apparel with the tags still on, tourist locations shopping bags full of stuff, walking with Apple/Google maps directions on loudspeaker. You are giving yourself away to pickpockets.
  • Keep two wallets, one in the locked up area of the luggage with passport and the bulk of the cash and a normal one with id card and daily expense money. Samsonite and others make neck wallets designed to fit passports easily while being flat so you could hide it in the luggage internal skeleton.
  • Food and beverages on track grounds have massive markups. Stop by a Carrefour, stock up and then go to the track. A 1.5l bottle of water is 0.64€ at a Carrefour while it’s 2-3€ per 0,5l on track. Same with food. ACO membership provides access to a lounge with heavily discounted drinks.
  • Bring lots of water, my personal rule is 2l every four hour. A cool trick is to keep one (or many) 1.5l bottles in my backpack and a 0.5l bottle (one of those sporty drink type with the mouth cap) on the side of the backpack. Use the 1.5l bottles to refill the small one so they don't get cooked by sunlight.
  • If you are not on a grandstand, bring a foldable chair. If you somehow managed to get to the circuit grounds without passing by a decathlon (consider it a French Cabela), Michelin gadget stand has one at a reasonable price. Attempting to watch the race over a mat will mean you won’t see poo poo.
  • The museum at the north gate location is supposed to be nice, I have no idea since there were constant multi hour waiting lines every time I went by north gate. Consider it a 4h block in your time schedule.
  • Even if you have grandstand tickets, bring comfortable sports shoes, you will be possibly walking on gravel/packed dirt.
  • Have ear protection along with you. If you don’t have any, you can find them at any ACO shop in the village. If you need a reference model to purchase before traveling, 3M WorkTunes (FM variant). I’ll explain in a while why.
  • The commentary provided on the various videowalls across the track is usually French with an English sentence every hour or so. If you are not fluent, Radio Le Mans(powered by CrowdStrike) will provide English commentary over internet and FM (only on track grounds, 91.2Mhz). If you got the WorkTunes set i mentioned earlier, you can avoid going deaf AND listen to RLM commentary without being at the mercy of phone signal reception.
  • A LTE radio tower can service about 500-1500 users before getting saturated, this year we had 300k+ visitors so your phone won't be able to download/upload poo poo on track premises.
  • Bring copious amount of sunscreen, I used tons of it and, as @Finger Prince can attest, I still looked like grazed ham at the end of the event.
  • Keep yourself stocked with wear items in synthetic quick-dry/perspiration material. Shirts and trousers are a must. Long sleeved/legged is strongly advised to avoid sunburn on limbs. Decathlon has them in stock, usually under their Quechua in-house brand.
  • Bring rain coats/leggings that can be folded flat easily. When it rains in lemans, chances of thunderstorms are not negligible so limiting metal items in close proximity is a generally good idea..
  • Bring multiple power banks, possibly with solar charging.
  • Sunglasses are advised not only if there is sun exposure but also if you sit while facing the cars beams over long periods of time.
  • If you don’t care about watching the race in the sun, ACO membership get you access to a lounge with video walls, discounted drinks, comfy chairs, the whole shebang.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 13, 2023

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

In addition: get the Setram app so you can skip buying tram tickets at the kiosks. Trams were super overloaded this year just because of the huge numbers. Normally they're just rammed. Don't assume you can rely on Uber.
Setram also has ebikes for rent that you stash in their lockers located around the city (and at the track entrance). I need to figure out how that works for next time because that's pretty handy.
Mobile data at the track is sketchy at best with so many people. WhatsApp/Signal/etc messages can end up delayed or not sent. SMS is more reliable. You won't be able to stream RLM, so make sure you get an FM radio with euro tuning if it's digital (NA FM radios can't tune to 91.2) There is public wifi, but connecting to it is an ordeal and might not work.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Finger Prince posted:

There is public wifi, but connecting to it is an ordeal and might not work.

It worked in the north village but you only get one 20 mins session of it.

Finger Prince posted:

You won't be able to stream RLM, so make sure you get an FM radio with euro tuning if it's digital (NA FM radios can't tune to 91.2)

3M peltor worktunes fm has always euro fm ranges
3M peltor worktunes am/fm do not(A euro am/fm model exists but it’s pretty much impossible to find)

Which is why I suggested those 👀

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jun 12, 2023

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There's a Hultafors AM/FM headset that goes down to 88Mhz

https://www.hellbergsafety.com/products/hearing-protection/electronic/E0036-relax_headband/184191

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Porsche probably aren't looking to repeat this for next year, and I'm sure Toyota would like to win again. Cadillac definitely wants to do better, and Peugeot has to show they can repeat the challenge they put to Audi back in the day.

On top of that, next year we're getting Alpine, BMW, and Lamborghini (run by Iron Lynx, which means Iron Dames moving to the Hypercar grid), and possibly one or two more manufacturers, depending on how things shake out.

If year 100 of Le Mans was special, and it damned well was - then year 101 has all the makings of topping it.

Fwiw, the dames being in those car(s) is not confirmed, it could be anyone from the Prema/Lynx books or even new drivers. For instance Kyvat, in the 63 Prema this week was confirmed.

Xisticide posted:

The LMDh cars are based off what were expected to be the new LMP2 cars but they won’t be now since that class is getting the boot,

That class isn't getting the boot. It won't be in WEC but it will be at LeMans, and in IMSA/ELMS and ALMS.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Dudley posted:

Fwiw, the dames being in those car(s) is not confirmed, it could be anyone from the Prema/Lynx books or even new drivers. For instance Kyvat, in the 63 Prema this week was confirmed.
If Deborah Mayer has anything to say about it, Iron Dames are going to be in a hypercar.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is the Valkyrie ever going to appear in WEC

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

If Deborah Mayer has anything to say about it, Iron Dames are going to be in a hypercar.

Oh I really hope they are, just it's not a Done Deal

Thanks Ants posted:

Is the Valkyrie ever going to appear in WEC

Doubt it.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

I’d recommend bringing a folding chair even if you have a grandstand seat; the Motul grandstand at the Ford chicane is a great view, but even if you are the only person in the grandstand you can’t really lean back because of the way the seat is designed. (No back, but like a butt indention and then a hump at the rear. The start/finish straight grandstands have backs like those plastic school chairs.

If/when I go back I may just save up for a hospitality tent, I was about ready to spring for the ACO membership but when I walked by it was full/sold out. I’m certainly not going to COTA September 1 without being able to be in the air conditioning.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

How does watching these endurance races work in person? Do you go for the first day/evening, then leave, then come back for the morning/afternoon?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

smackfu posted:

How does watching these endurance races work in person? Do you go for the first day/evening, then leave, then come back for the morning/afternoon?

It kinda works however you feel like it, which is kind of what makes it special. At least with the 24hr races, you can come and go as you need to. The event continues on regardless. You miss stuff, get caught up on things by people who saw it, you have a nap, eat some food, go for a wander, and all the time it's just ongoing and you can jump back in any time. The first couple and last couple of hours are dedicated watch times, the rest is "I feel like going on the ferris wheel" or "Hey want to go down to Arnage?" or "let's check out the concert", etc, and checking out the action around the track in between.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jun 12, 2023

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I hope so - but I can imagine the need to stay in GT3 for a year, especially so they can get a third pro driver through their system. Can absolutely see it happening, and I hope we see a bright pink Lamborghini Hypercar tear it up.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

There's no water refill stations at the track? How european.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
There’s spigots like you’d attach a hose to!

When WEC was at COTA in 2016 they had these huge coolers for refilling water which I thought was a good move to avoid heat injuries.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

net work error posted:

water costs extra

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

net work error posted:

Only in few areas outside the village. Which is weird since they demanded a German-style “pay 2 euro to get a polycarbonate drink cup and receive it back when you give it back” for beer but everything else was plastic bottled in there.

smackfu posted:

You do as you like, baby mode is first four hours, go back home to sleep, wake up to be on track for the last four and catching up on the videowalls with the hourly recap to see what happened in the meantime. If you have a hardcore group of friends you can stagger up sleep in turns to make sure at least someone is watching for wallets/backpack status so you can stay there 24h.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jun 13, 2023

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Arcella posted:

There’s spigots like you’d attach a hose to!

When WEC was at COTA in 2016 they had these huge coolers for refilling water which I thought was a good move to avoid heat injuries.

Yeah, there's a bunch of spigots all over the place. The trackside beer is mostly water too.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

This was the :ferrari: moment of yesterday when it happened again, I am not really sure why they didn't go through the procedure with their other drivers so that they could get going quickly if it came up again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2tpgh2fTos

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

This was the :ferrari: moment of yesterday when it happened again, I am not really sure why they didn't go through the procedure with their other drivers so that they could get going quickly if it came up again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2tpgh2fTos

I think that after that series of pits top gremlins they will have a giant “gently caress it, kill the power to everything” master cycle button on the dash added for Monza.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Having electrics poo poo on you in your amazing Ferrari is the most Italian thing ever

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Mokotow posted:

Having electrics poo poo on you in your amazing Ferrari is the most Italian thing ever

It made the victory all the sweeter. The only way it could've been better would be if they stuffed a banana skin into the diff to mask the whine.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

now that i've had some time to recover (watched all 24 hours, had to set a series of 15-minute interval alarms for the last 3 hours due to extreme tired), i just wanna say that was the best le mans i've ever seen. i didn't expect the hypercar race to be that nuts or for toyota not to win, i'm both thrilled the iron dames ran so well and very sad they didn't get a podium but also good on corvette for recovering from Some poo poo to win, the motortrend+ bonus streams made the 5 dollars i paid feel extremely worth it and i highly, highly recommend us and canada goons to spring for it next year. the first half of the race was rad but it was also a lot so i am glad the second half calmed down a bit. i really hope peugeot can run this well next year, they did say repeatedly that the 9x8 was built specifically for le mans and they definitely proved that with their pace, i'd love to see their weird wingless car win next year. also the fact that we have two more Real Entries into hypercar next year is crazy with how good the hypercar race was this year, i can't even imagine what next year is gonna be like.

not sure how i feel about iron dames potentially going to hypercar, i mean it would kick untold amounts of rear end if they brought home the overall victory but i also think that'd mean bovy wouldn't be joining them up there. if that is the case i hope she lands in a good ride, she's extremely top-tier as far as bronze drivers go, i think only keating is on the same level.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

also the fact that we have two more Real Entries into hypercar next year is crazy with how good the hypercar race was this year, i can't even imagine what next year is gonna be like.

There’ll be three new to the WEC next year - brand new Lamborghini and Alpine, and BMW expanding the IMSA program with WRT.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

harperdc posted:

There’ll be three new to the WEC next year - brand new Lamborghini and Alpine, and BMW expanding the IMSA program with WRT.

i know about alpine but i don't consider them nearly as much a threat as bmw or lamborghini (though probably better than glick and bykolles), hence why i specified 2 'real' manufacturers

feel free to quote this when they win next year

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

X-post

Finger Prince posted:

Last minute - anyone want to go to Spa-Francorchamps for the 24h of motos this weekend?
I got really really sick and don't fancy pulling over to vom every 20 minutes. Really sucks but going to cut our losses. Tickets are for the race weekend and include camping for 2 bikes. Paid €99 each, I'll sell them both for €99.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

I hope so - but I can imagine the need to stay in GT3 for a year, especially so they can get a third pro driver through their system. Can absolutely see it happening, and I hope we see a bright pink Lamborghini Hypercar tear it up.

I mean you say that but Bovy (the theoretical am) had a faster best lap than Gatting. She'll be at least Silver next year.

But I'd guess they'll be in a GT3 Lambo next year too.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i know about alpine but i don't consider them nearly as much a threat as bmw or lamborghini (though probably better than glick and bykolles), hence why i specified 2 'real' manufacturers

feel free to quote this when they win next year

They're French so expect them to be suspiciously quicker in France, much like Peugeot.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Notice for people that are interested in going to the 6hrs of Monza. For better or worse, they moved the ticketing from their bespoke ticket website(which only included the access tickets) to ticketone (which includes tickets, paddocks and all-access packages). The full package is 385€ with race, paddock, lounge, etc. Pretty much the equivalent of grandstands+aco package at lemans. There are still availability on every item but i expect them to be gone by the end of the month.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 16, 2023

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Daily Sportscar mentioned that ticket sales were up 4-5x for Monza compared to last year…before Le Mans :psyduck:

Gonna look like an F1 race out there at this rate.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

harperdc posted:

Daily Sportscar mentioned that ticket sales were up 4-5x for Monza compared to last year…before Le Mans :psyduck:

Gonna look like an F1 race out there at this rate.

The basic ticket moved from 30€ per weekend last year to 60€ per day today so the prices also went 4x. Locals will storm the circuit to see the Ferrari win for once so I am expecting a crowd(unlike last year where they didn't open most of the track due to lack of sales).

If I didn't just went to lemans i would be there for sure, double so knowing that next year will be at sorry excuse for a track called Imola.

@harperdc since lemans happened we should update the title to something else.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jun 17, 2023

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
100 cars thrashing round the 'ring for four hours? :getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOo4BgqUdVk

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
This is a few days old but

SlowBloke posted:

[*]SNCF schedule is accurate. Don’t rely on delays to save you.

What the gently caress?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

ilmucche posted:

This is a few days old but

What the gently caress?

If you run late on train 1 on a specific station, people think/believe that train 2 will also be so they can compensate and still get on it. Even with 40+ minutes to spare in between the official times, i still managed to lose the follow up train on the first leg of the journey to France. It seems like there is some weird poo poo going on in the south of France up to Lyon. Trenitalia and Inoui went to 50-70 km/h on areas you usually go to 120-150.

Edit: Automoto.it, a very good italian motoring web magazine published their report, if you want to see what happened in the village/pits here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtZM4fpzz5k

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jun 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

@harperdc since lemans happened we should update the title to something else.

Good shout. Back to non-event mode it is.