Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Giant Ethicist posted:

The end! The swerve from gag-a-day into narrative for book 3 (basically when Lulu Yeah was formed) changed the tenor of the comic a bit, but taken as a whole, I think that “introducing a plot and ending it more or less neatly” works better than “endlessly milking a rather thin gag-a-day premise”. Thanks for reading!

Thanks for sharing it. Itwas a fun read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Goddamn Mary, are you some kind of Dementor and you really enjoy this old dude's suffering?

Thank you goon for posting the girl idol and Cthulhu comic! It was really cute.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

Goddamn Mary, are you some kind of Dementor and you really enjoy this old dude's suffering?

Thank you goon for posting the girl idol and Cthulhu comic! It was really cute.

It’s actually cutting to Mary’s basement in the second panel when we see the dogs.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I'll also miss Chtupin. It was a good little comic , thanks for sharing it with us!

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Chinnen and Kyo-chan

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

"Stick wid me, kid, we're bustin' outta dis joint."

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Doomykins posted:

lmfao is Phantom about to botch the prophecy again because he ignored Savarna for a few minutes too long, or did he predict it and let her go? His dialogue implies as much but Savarna is the best chaos elemental.
The issue was him getting himself shot and divulging information to her when he thought he was gonna die. He's nowhere near her.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft celebrates the eternal retreat from the future!

Jesus H Tapdancing Christ it's an old rolltop desk in decent-looking condition, something prime any second-hand dealer would be happy to sell. Batiuk's really swinging at air here but I think he's aiming at Herman Miller or the whole open office concept, which nearly nobody enjoys anyway? This is smug posturing at its utmost.

And it's even money there's something Intriguing in one of those desk drawers or pigeonholes. Probably some goddamn long-forgotten comic art.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Howard Beale posted:

Jesus H Tapdancing Christ it's an old rolltop desk in decent-looking condition, something prime any second-hand dealer would be happy to sell. Batiuk's really swinging at air here but I think he's aiming at Herman Miller or the whole open office concept, which nearly nobody enjoys anyway? This is smug posturing at its utmost.

And it's even money there's something Intriguing in one of those desk drawers or pigeonholes. Probably some goddamn long-forgotten comic art.

The only people who don't hate open office plans are people who want to creep on the people trying to work in them

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

ellie the beep posted:

coach luke martinez hates gil thorp's guts more than anything else in the world because gil is just a good sport who recognizes that these games are, ultimately, games, and not worth getting worked up over

and since luke's apparent only source of self-esteem is from his athletics career he cannot fathom anything but fawning obeisance when he 'proves' how much better he is, and so gil being like 'hey man nice job beating us see ya next year' is a tremendously vile insult

keep in mind also that milford high school (where gil thorp coaches) just had its athletics department budget slashed because of all these losses to coach martinez because they are now 'underperforming' - so there is also a compare and contrast going on as presumably valley tech (martinez' school) is getting the money thorp used to get (which would explain how they could poach a high schooler on the other side of the planet) which is just going to exacerbate the situation

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Circumstance got on top of me tonight yet again, but before I go, there's a fella who wants to ask you a few questions.
https://twitter.com/SmoothDunk/status/1669483501194715146

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Howard Beale posted:

It probably belonged to Les and Saint Lisa left love notes hidden in it.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Giant Ethicist posted:

Cthulhu and Girl

The end! The swerve from gag-a-day into narrative for book 3 (basically when Lulu Yeah was formed) changed the tenor of the comic a bit, but taken as a whole, I think that “introducing a plot and ending it more or less neatly” works better than “endlessly milking a rather thin gag-a-day premise”. Thanks for reading!

This is going to make sense to maybe 3-4 other goons, but I keep trying to figure out how Delta Green would work in this universe. I feel like the grizzled near-retirement FBI agents and such the conspiracy would send to Japan would also be massive Elder Weebs who were active in the early fandubbing scene and are continually distracted from investigating the supernaturally-controlled idol scene by Go Nagai autograph events and conventions.

Anyway, thanks a ton for translating and posting Cthulhu and Girl! :)

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Glassy Haunting Eyes. Like A Possum's Eyes.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

From a few days ago but realizing I know exactly where this town is and it makes me laugh.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

EasyEW posted:

Circumstance got on top of me tonight yet again, but before I go, there's a fella who wants to ask you a few questions.
https://twitter.com/SmoothDunk/status/1669483501194715146

:golfclap:

Crabgrass

Peanuts Through the Ages (Mar 24-25, 1955)

:kimchi:

Calvin and Hobbes (Aug 7-8, 1993)

Big Nate

Blind Alley

Dunce

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

"Maybe they need money for their chronic muffin baking addiction. People have all kinds of reasons! Have you seen the price of eggs lately?"

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

omg the ab/cd shirt. :3:

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1980 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Legends in the Heights

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Thanks for posting Cthulhu and Girl! It was delightful.

Haifisch posted:

Legends in the Heights

Hell yeah, I didn't expect Blue Demon rep.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (July 14, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

ronya posted:

well that's topical

...how so?

Also, thanks for posting Cthu'-pin. It was nice, silly fun.

Also, yeah, the ABCD shirt is tres cute.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Samovar posted:

...how so?

In hugseeking pitch invasions: https://www.sixthtone.com/news/1013130

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Giant Ethicist posted:

Cthulhu and Girl

Thank you for posting this comic! It was very silly and I enjoyed it a lot. :)

Vintage Valiant (Oct. 20, 1957)

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

riderchop posted:

Heathcliff

Statue week was pretty good

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Julet Esqu posted:

This is all true, but Martinez' unhealthy obsession with beating Coach Thorp starts even before this.

Here is his first appearance, as far as I can tell:

The bartender tells Martinez to shut the gently caress up before Gil has a chance to accept or decline, so this deal is not legally binding.

Martinez shows up here and there to be a douche to Gil for a little while after that. Nothing major. I am including this one only for PLOOP:

But eventually, we get down to business on the backstory of why Martinez hates Gil. And it involves a flashback back to when Martinez was in high school.

Those two strips are all you get of that for a little while, but then Gil pulls out the old VHS tapes:

And that really is it. Martinez beat Gil's team back in the 80's, but the paper still put more attention on how cool Thorp was than on VT's big win.

A subtle detail that is completely lost thanks to the pacing of newspaper comics is that in Martinez' flashback we see his coach at the time dressed like it's the 40's or some poo poo, but then you get to Gil's VHS and we see that, no, it was the 80's and people dressed appropriate to the time. Martinez just remembers it that way. That's how I choose to interpret that one-panel flashback anyway.

Thank you very much for the explanation on why this guy hates Gil Thorp. I thought they were the same age, but finding out this guy was just some random teen who peaked at high school and got mad at the opposing team's coach makes the whole one-sided rivalry even better. :allears:

Just lol that despite Holbrook making a big deal about predators and prey learning from the Dewclaws to co-exist without killing each other, nothing's changed at all. The kids still need to be firmly segregated to prevent the predator kids from killing the others.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Pluggers

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 6/16/03

Stephen Collins is political again this week.

Brenda Starr 3/11/51

Smokey Stover 4/17/55

Everyday Movies 7/9/36

"Wall yes, I did keep radio-bulbs fer a while, but there was so many calls fer 'em that I hid 'em away an' I ferget where I put 'em."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 9/7/41

Selachian fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 17, 2023

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Medenmath posted:

Thank you for posting this comic! It was very silly and I enjoyed it a lot. :)

Vintage Valiant (Oct. 20, 1957)

drat that's some fine fjords.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

*fjine

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (June 19, 1976)

For whoever was rooting for a demon to haunt that desk in Crankshaft, we're getting a different kind of curse.

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (January 20, 1940)

Out Our Way (January 29-31, 1942)

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I half expected the baby to react poorly to being held by an embodiment of evil, but maybe that would have been a bit too cliche.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

Those thought bubbles are really getting on my nerves.
It's like she knows static panels of just people talking are boring, and she wants to spice it up with including images of the things they talk about, but also feels obligated to somehow make it diegetic i.e. occurring within the scene but at the same time strictly in comic visual language.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

EasyEW posted:

Thimble Theater (January 20, 1940)

Oh, Popeye :allears:

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Fighting Trousers posted:

drat that's some fine fjords.

I know, right?!