Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Persona 4 was anticapitalist because I didn't enjoy possessing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Persona 4 was anticapitalist because I didn't enjoy possessing it

lmao

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
lol

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
No you see, I NEED to make a 30 minute video essay explaining why the themes in Zelda TOTK are shallow as hell. Death of the author

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mr. Trampoline posted:

No you see, I NEED to make a 30 minute video essay explaining why the themes in Zelda TOTK are shallow as hell. Death of the author

[clearing throat] breath of the author.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I rather liked the main story of TOTK, even if it wasn't conveyed very well.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The writing in TOTK was Fine. I don't think any zelda has writing really worth a poo poo tho. its everything else that comes together to be interesting.

Needed a sidekick imo

NBA FAN !!!!!!!
Dec 4, 2002

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The Masculinist Colonialist Ideals Of Paper Mario The Origami King

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
just about all the writing in TOTK i like consists of incidental funny NPC interactions. some of the big story cutscenes are directed well but all the emotion is surface level because i just don't really care about any of the main characters, and the game gives you almost no reason to do so.

like an average NPC who has five random joke lines will on average have more engaging characterization than Zelda

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I liked t he stuff with Zelda.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
starting to agree with the idea of not ever bringing zelda up in here again because it's not like discussion of its text is ever going to change after a month out

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also it's not an RPG :twisted:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
sigh the thread is always talking about games for boys like legend of zelda instead of games for girls like astralibra

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Needed a sidekick imo

I feel like they had one ready to go and it was written out late in development. they made a big deal out of Mineru inhabiting the Purah Pad the whole time and waved it off with “oh yeah, must have been interference from Ganondorf or something

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

avoraciopoctules posted:

Even if the company isn't interested, sometimes you've got individual people within who are interested in expressing themes. And even if you aren't interested in themes, that isn't going to keep them from making their way into your work. Death of the Author and all that.

Hmm, can I dig up any interesting thematic analysis for flagship nintendo games... pokemon and fire emblem might be brand ambassadors now, but they are from quasi-external studios, not sure if they should count. If they do, I could probably spend an hour on a curated list of essays on their themes.

Splatoon is pretty big these days. There's been some attention paid to how it is about a new pop culture built on the remnants of an old dead society, and the tension over whether echoing cool stuff from the past might lead to also replicating old mistakes.

"Today, we dive into one of the best, most charming, and surprisingly, most relevant games of the past decade in order to examine the themes and ideas that lie beneath its colorful surface. We'll be talking about conflict, capitalism, history, the future, and ourselves, in order to ask: what are the politics of Splatoon?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eynklkIqH2k

Here's something on Kirby and the Forgotten Land I dug up searching Critical Distance.
Kirby and the Forgotten Land transfers the vulnerability of the survivor onto the wasteland; it inverts the violence of the apocalypse, turning the shattered shell of society into a joyful playground.
https://www.gamerswithglasses.com/features/cutest-apocalypse

I am now trying to find an article on themes in a semi-recent Mario RPG, since this is RPG thread. Not quite there yet, but this blurb looked enticing (original article is down, so I grabbed an archive.org link):
Playing New Super Mario Bros. 2 over the last week, a few things struck me. Is Nintendo, a once mighty company brought to its knees in the last year by the 3DS omnishambles, making some kind of sick joke at its own expense? Has it created a game-length meditation on the financial bubble and its aftermath? Or is it just a gaming dinosaur recycling old tricks in a desperate attempt to recapture past glories?
https://web.archive.org/web/20120909143559/https://www.scriptedsequence.com/2012/08/24/new-super-economic-downturn-bros-2/

Found a Kotaku article with a provocative title, but I can definitely see dissonance between writers and company exec coming out here.
Nintendo values and loves its history, and that seems to be the implied message throughout the entire game. Super Paper Mario acknowledges that embracing one’s past is important, whether in games or (if you follow the storyline) in love. In an era of gaming that is increasingly transient—where physical media is being replaced by digital media; where technology is outdated by the time it hits shelves; where games function online-only; where games are simply erased from existence—history and the recording of that history becomes ever more crucial. Super Paper Mario, by reframing the past and unifying it with the present, made a compelling, heartfelt argument for its preservation.
https://kotaku.com/super-paper-mario-is-a-role-playing-game-about-nintendo-1785945382

Here we go, I was hoping to find something that dug into a nintendo RPG with bad/harmful themes
Many of these implicit politics shine through Origami King and despite the joys I had playing, I only found reason to be excited for smaller studios making games inspired by the series. Sure, it has a lot of funny jokes. A lot of the little puzzles and vignettes are also fun as well. However, it’s hard to look past the masculinist colonialist ideals it holds onto and consider coming back again. I’m not sure I’ll be able to forget the fun and laughter of Origami King, but I also won’t forget its problems.
https://www.pastemagazine.com/games/paper-mario/paper-mario-the-origami-king-review

fake edit:
A counter-example if you were looking for Nintendo games with strong themes, and arguably not an RPG, but it did come up as I sifted through Critical Distance and I did enjoy reading it.
https://www.pastemagazine.com/games/luigis-mansion-3/luigis-mansion-3-review

No most of these are bad. If these are the themes people are finding in place of the game having actually competent narrative writing I think they should just stop writing. Both the game writers and the journos.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
they should have had the game be like Bionic Commando and have Zelda in your arm the whole time

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
wait is one of those seriously a meta analysis of whether nintendo made new super mario bros bad on purpose

e; okay no it is just a jokey way of saying the game is bad

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 17, 2023

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

they should have had the game be like Bionic Commando and have Zelda in your arm the whole time

astral chain zelda

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

I feel like they had one ready to go and it was written out late in development. they made a big deal out of Mineru inhabiting the Purah Pad the whole time and waved it off with “oh yeah, must have been interference from Ganondorf or something

And Rauru in the tutorial zone. So close, Nintendo. Maybe next time.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Guys there's really great video game writing out there that really expands on this game's 5 sentences of story. Just read these 3 kotaku articles I promise they're so smart

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Everyone was jacking off over how deep splatoons lore was so I don't find it particularly out there that someone made a video about it tbh. all the way back to the original on the wii u! Not sure why this is apparently surprising

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i don't actually think it hurts the game that Zelda and Link have the chemistry of a Barbie and Ken doll because the game is clearly more interested in your interactions with the world itself than the actual Link/Zelda stuff. Like there's not much there and it represents a tiny fraction of the experience you'll have playing the dang game

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
if we don't move on from this topic within 5 posts i am going to find hello neighbor lore videos and post them to this thread >:I

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Let's talk about how nier automata is a terrible game and platnium sucks instead.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
You can make a literary critique of whatever subject you want, about whatever media you want. game, book, movie, comic, whatever. But if it's dumb as hell then I will make fun of it

Also I'm about 10-12 hours in Bravely Second, just got Catmancer, enjoying it a bunch. I'm kind of baffled how much worse Bravely Default 2 is.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Square shoved a completely green team to make BD2 and it shows. Very stupid move.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Everyone was jacking off over how deep splatoons lore was so I don't find it particularly out there that someone made a video about it tbh. all the way back to the original on the wii u! Not sure why this is apparently surprising

Every single Splatoon song being attributed to a fake band with a consistent discography, musical style, and members is cool, I love that stuff.

Pokemon Sword/Shield made up like a hundred fake companies that only exist to be the gym leader's in universe sponsorships and one minor mechanic.

mycot fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 17, 2023

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

mycot posted:

Every single Splatoon song being attributed to a fake band with a consistent discography, musical style, and members is cool, I love that stuff.

It's cool. I'm not super mega crazy about the Lore myself but I appreciate the amount of effort they put into it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

mycot posted:

yeah

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Snooze Cruise posted:

if we don't move on from this topic within 5 posts i am going to find hello neighbor lore videos and post them to this thread >:I

I don’t know who that is. Do they like Sims Lore? Animal Crossing Extended Universe?

… I guess you do level up units in the Sims, sort of

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
. . .

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Is this the right time to bring up Troubleshooter again? I started playing it recently and it's pretty loving great

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i have a very high tolerance for Thinkpieces and Video Essays about video games but it feels increasingly tedious how much of that space seems monopolized by nintendo babies

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Let's talk about how nier automata is a terrible game and platnium sucks instead.

:yeah:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Mr. Trampoline posted:

Also I'm about 10-12 hours in Bravely Second, just got Catmancer, enjoying it a bunch. I'm kind of baffled how much worse Bravely Default 2 is.

Its rough man.

BS is really good though

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Mr. Trampoline posted:

You can make a literary critique of whatever subject you want, about whatever media you want. game, book, movie, comic, whatever. But if it's dumb as hell then I will make fun of it

Is Bravely Second the one on the Switch or is that Default 2? I consistently fail at keeping these straight.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

BD2 was just so draining. The counter system meant I never felt like I could really build fun stuff, it had to be specific builds which takes the fun out of it.

Prism posted:

Is Bravely Second the one on the Switch or is that Default 2? I consistently fail at keeping these straight.

Bravely Second is on the 3ds.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Arzaac posted:

Is this the right time to bring up Troubleshooter again? I started playing it recently and it's pretty loving great

welcome to the resistance

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It is epic and Astral Chain is win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Countblanc posted:

i have a very high tolerance for Thinkpieces and Video Essays about video games but it feels increasingly tedious how much of that space seems monopolized by nintendo babies
Kimimi has been pretty good for getting deep dives on games I have never heard of before. Lots of RPGs, too. I think they are working on something for 神舞幻想/Faith of Danschant right now. For video essays, hmm... maybe you'd dig tehsnakerer? My personal faves are the eurojank RPG deep dives, but there's like 20 hours of Yakuza pontificating if you are more interested in that.

Arzaac posted:

I think they dropped some new costume DLC. Give your squad some cool new hats, they deserve it.

Oh hey, it looks like there were some significant changes to a bunch of Masteries on the May 31st patch. Troubleshooter is still iterating, nice!

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/470310/view/3718330629807655322